MISS COLORFUL - Chapter 8

Seven Incarnations
.
.
.
.
.
“What are they doing now?” Kimberly David asked, glancing furtively to the couple across their table.

“Nothing much...” answered Sam Pascual. “Guy is holding girl’s hand...”

“Can I look?” Kim asked.

“Yes, but please...do it discreetly,” reminded Sam.

Kim very slowly glanced sideways. The sight she saw wasn’t pretty at all. Gerald was indeed holding Angel’s hand. Holding may not even be a proper term for it...smothering was more like it. Their hands were busy doing this series of -like caressing, then squeezing... way too much for Kim to bear. She had to turn away. Instead, she focused her attention back to her own date.

“It hurts, eh?” Sam chagrined.

Kim had to nod. No use denying it to him. Somehow, Sam, can read her reactions remarkably.

“More wine, perhaps?” asked Sam.

“Yes, why not?” Kim responded, then swallowing a big gulp of her sultry concoction. “Do you think...we should...hold hands too?”

Sam gave her a sly grin.

“Of course...” he said.

Sam then, as suggested, tenderly placed his hand over hers. Kim responded by giving his hand a slight squeeze, then she smiled.

“Good girl...” Sam said.

.
.
.

Over at the other table, things were not going as well as Gerald and Angel have been showing it to be. Angel seemed to be unnerved by the other couple’s presence. She was about to jump out of her skimpy clothes the moment she saw Kim hold Sam’s hand. Suddenly, she became stark-raving mad.

All this time, Gerald was scratching his head. Angel was no angel tonight. All he sees in front of him is a seething and immature brat. Gone was the soft-faced, sweet, seductive young woman he had grown to like these last few days. Angel’s face was now filled with fury and envy, he almost didn’t recognize her. She was such a different person when she’s mad.

Gerald tried his best to get her attention off them by playing with her hand. He’d rather do that because, technically, he has ran out of things to talk about with Angel. All she is interested to talk about right now is Sam.

“Oh my God, the nerve...” said Angel, doing a sideways glance again.

“What happened?” asked Gerald, refusing to see what transpired on the adjacent table. “What are they doing now?”

“Guy is holding girl’s hand too...”

“What?” Gerald exclaimed. “Kim allowed him to hold her hand like that?”

“Looks like he doesn’t even need to ask her...” replied Angel. “Flirty girl is doing all the initiating...”

“Kim is not like that...” Gerald protested. “She’s not like that...at all!”

Slowly, Gerald stole a glance at the other couple’s direction. Upon seeing them, his eyes swelled and his shoulders dropped. His suspicion was ultimately confirmed. He couldn’t believe it. Kim’s fingers were tightly intertwined with Sam’s. Their grip was so intimate, one couldn’t even decide which fingers belongs to whom. Gerald’s heart suddenly went haywire. He seriously wanted to go their table and pry their hands apart. Not only that, he wanted to erase Sam’s irritating smile off his face. Kim, meanwhile, was so engrossed looking at Sam and she was laughing at his every word. It was as if, she sees him as Tom Hanks, or something.

Then, it got him thinking. Why was he feeling that strongly about them? The thought really surprised Gerald. He couldn’t understand himself.

As a knee-jerk reaction, he gripped Angel’s hand more tightly than he should. She grimaced instantly.

“Ouch, you’re hurting me!” cried Angel.

“Sorry...I was...carried away...” answered Gerald, still stealing side glances to Kim and Sam. He had to withdraw his gaze though, as the other man caught him looking crossly at them.

.
.
.

“Boy is officially pissed...” observed Sam.

“Really?” smiled Kim. Her heart glowed knowing she could elicit such a reaction from Gerald. “What are they doing now?”

“I think they’re actually having a discussion...” replied Sam.

“How about the girl?” asked Kim.

“Girl is, I think, pissed that our fake date is going better than theirs!” chuckled Sam.

Kim laughed from the inside. This will show Gerald what an idiot he was for treating her like that. She wanted him to squirm in his pants. She would want nothing more than to see his date with Angel going to shambles. She would want them have the worst nights of their lives.

However, the more Kim thought about it, it was really starting to dawn upon her. Is she only doing this because she is really motivated by revenge...or is it because she was feeling something more for him? Something else... more sinister and more captivating at the same time. Maybe...just maybe... she was in fact wishing that Gerald and Angel’s date will go awry because she really wanted Gerald for herself!

Faced now with the truth...it really, really scared Kim. She started to feel self-conscious afterwards. She was wary that Sam might be able to see her for who she really was and what her real motivations indeed were.

“What should we do next?” asked Kim, in an attempt to divert his attention off her face.

“We need to go for the killer blow...”

“How about if we feed each other cake?” suggested Kim.

“Too much...too corny...” answered Sam. “I think we need to do something more subtle...”

“Like what?”

“Can I kiss your hand, Kim?” said Sam.

“Go for it...” Kim answered, hastily darting her hands towards him...

Sam planted a kiss on each of her soft hands, angling his head lightly to give the other table a better view. After which, he clasped them with both of his...holding them like a delicate emblem for all to see.

.
.
.

Angel was visibly taken aback by Sam’s latest public display of affection, much to Gerald’s dismay also. He really felt, in some strange manner, left out. Here he was, on a romantic date with this hot superstar, yet she was more interested on her ex-boyfriend’s affair than him. That was just not right. Gerald was never ever treated like that before. He felt used and discarded...he felt like a...girl.

But more so, Gerald can’t understand the root of Angel’s anger for Sam. She was so fumed, Gerald knew if he would throw water at her, the liquid will instantly turn into vapour upon contact with her blazing skin.

“Angel...” Gerald called out, moments later...

“What?!!!” she answered prickly.

“I said...we should start focusing on our date and not other people!” said Gerald.

Of course, Angel didn’t hear what he said next because her head was once again turned away from him. In fact, she was back to observing the every move of Kim and Sam.

“Angel, hello?!” Gerald exclaimed. “Can you please keep your eyes on me for a second?”

“What do you want?” Angel snapped.

“I can’t do this anymore...” Gerald muttered.

“What did you just say?” asked Angel.

“I said I’m done for the night...” sighed Gerald.

“Done for the night?” cried Angel. “We haven’t gone through our main course yet...”

“Sorry, I’ve lost my appetite...”

“Lost your appetite?” said Angel. “But you barely touched a thing on your plate!”

“I’m surprised you noticed that,” replied Gerald. “Considering how focused you are with them...”

Angel's face softened instantly. She almost looked like she was...guilty.

“Oh baby...I’m sorry....” Angel apologized. “It’s just that...that guy is really getting into my nerves...”

“Why?”

“Can’t you see what he was doing?”

“What was it?”

“He is doing this purposely to hurt me...” came Angel’s answer.

Gerald bursts into laughter. Angel seemed embarrassed.

“He’s trying to make me jealous...” reiterated Angel. “That poor girl doesn’t even know that Sam is only using her to get back at me...”

“You can’t possibly believe that!” said Gerald.

“Of course I do!” exclaimed Angel. “He’s always been this hurtful...he likes to play with my feelings for him...and he always makes me angry using other girls as bait...”

“I can see really that it is working...” Gerald noticed. “You still have feelings for him, don’t you?”

“Me...feelings? Hell no!” said Angel. “I’m over him...promise...”

Gerald looked into her eyes and he knew she was lying. She may have been a good actress but Gerald is an even better reader of people’s feelings. His mom would often say that he was born with this natural ability to discern other people’s behaviour. But to her credit, he had never seen anybody more transparent than Angel Alonzo. She wasn’t dim-witted at all but she doesn’t really have this deep character to her either. This made it easy for Gerald to deconstruct her facade and discover who she really was. Behind the make up, she is just as bland as everyone else too.

Gerald was so proud of this ability until he met Kim. Somehow, among all people, he’s really having a hard time reading her. He’d never met anybody more complex than her. She was such an enigma to him ---the freak to the norm. He was as clueless with her as he was at reading Braille.

Such thought alone made Gerald smile. But wait! Why was he even thinking about her? Why does his every thought always have to lead up to Kim?

“Wow, they’re really into it...” said Angel of the pair beside them.

That did it. Gerald has had enough.

“Angel, I think I’m going to have to cut our night short...” Gerald said in resignation.

“Wait, you can’t go yet!” screeched Angel. “We have to retaliate to them...”

“Sorry, baby, I really can’t play this game anymore...” said Gerald acerbically. “I’m just too tired to think of anything right now...”

“But, I cancelled on a photo shoot...just to be here with you tonight!”

Gerald stood up and buttoned his dinner jacket. “I’m pretty sure we’ll have some other time in the future to have another date...just not anymore for tonight...I’m think I’m coming down with a splitting headache too...”

Angel crossed her arms like a child being robbed of her candy. “You can’t just walk out on me just like that...”

Gerald heaved a sigh, then extending his hand. “Honey, I’m not walking out on you...I’m asking you to leave with me...”

Perhaps, seeing some reason in his plea, Angel grabbed her expensive bag and took Gerald’s hand. She admittedly was tired too...and probably not in her best behaviour either, Gerald deduced. Maybe some time off will take her mind away from certain things...

“Well then...let’s go...” Angel announced.

Together, they walked off to the nearest exit, amidst a sea of curious onlookers. None more curious and interested than the two, widely-grinning people seated next to them.

Kim felt her insides jump seeing the two leave. She was even more than happy to receive Angel’s cold stare as she passed her by. She didn’t mind that, because she knew she had won. She had ruined their night.

But somehow, their sudden departure left Kim cold and jealous. One question in her mind really perturbed her. Now that they have left, will Gerald once again spend the night at Angel’s house of sin?

.
.
.

Outside the restaurant, the scene was more tepid than the steamy scenario Kim was cooking in her mind. In fact, Gerald was in no shape or form... able to do what Kim thought he would do...

“I’m really sorry, babe, I was such a lousy date tonight...” confessed Angel.

“Let’s just sleep this off... and maybe in the morning, we could consider all this... a bad nightmare!” Gerald said as they walked away from the restaurant.

“Yes, tomorrow is another day...” said Angel, as they reached her car. “but don’t you think the night is still young? I could easily change your mind about sleeping this off...I’m good at massage!”

Gerald could almost laugh at her proposition. IT was another pathetic attempt to solicit his sympathy. Truth is, he was still angry at Angel with the way she had treated him tonight.

“It’s very tempting, honey...” answered Gerald. “But, I think some time alone...would do us a world of good.”

“You’re refusing an offer from me?”

“Yes, honey...in fact, I am...” Gerald said in blatant honesty.

“See you tomorrow...” came Angel’s hasty reply.

And then, she was off...

Gerald was left outside on that busy Makati street, contemplating his next move. It was a balmy night. He had to get into his car, as the breeze was unusually cold. Now that he had gotten rid of Angel, he had one more thing that he needed to do. One more thing he needed to confirm.

But now, he has to wait.

.
.
.

Back inside the restaurant, Kim and Sam were celebrating. No one was more visibly happy than Sam. Kim was somehow happy too, or at least, she had to convince herself that she was. But deep inside, she can’t help but feel that it was more like a phyrric victory – a win of such devastating cost to the victor.

Once again, Kim had to force herself to smile.

“Cheers, honey!” Sam said, raising his glass. “This is for our wonderful partnership!”

“Cheers!” Kim matched his greeting, once again, drinking more wine. She was now officially tipsy. “Did you see their faces when they left?”

“Classic, right?” answered Sam. “Angel was so furious...I’ve never seen her like that before...”

“So, our plan worked to perfection, huh?” claimed Kim.

“Yes, honey, yes it did...”confirmed Sam. “We’re really good at it, you know...we work well together, Kim.”

“You really are a good actor...” said Kim. “I’m almost convinced that you really like me...”

“Kim, I wasn’t really acting...” admitted Sam. “I mean, I really...like you...”

Kim cast him a good look. She was looking for any sign of humor in his face. Unfortunately, she didn’t find any. All she found was genuine fondness in his eyes. But his face was as serious as it can be.

“Tell me, you’re kidding me!” pried Kim.

“No, I’m not Kim...”

“Wow, you really are convincing...” Kim mumbled. “I might have to watch now some of your previous movies to see how good you really are...”

“Have you not seen any of my movies?”

“I’m sorry...” Kim said, shrugging her shoulders. “I’m not really into local cinema...”

“So, that’s why you think I’m not serious...” smiled Sam. “You think I was acting all along...Kim, I know I’m good...but I’m not “that” good...”

“Cut the act, Sam...it’s not funny anymore...”

“I wish I was kidding, Kim...but I’m not!” replied Sam, grabbing her hand. “You really are a beautiful girl...”

“No, I’m not...” denied Kim vehemently.

“But, you are...” answered Sam. “What a tool that Gerald is for letting you slip away...”

“You’re right, he is a tool...” confirmed Kim, laughing lightly to somehow defuse Sam’s growing affection towards her.

“But...his mistake is my gain...” said Sam slyly. “Lucky me...”

“Sam...please...”

“Okay, okay...But Kim, you can’t deny that we work really well together...” said Sam. “Care to explore what else this partnership has to offer?”

Kim paused for a second. She wasn’t sure how to take his statement.

“Wait, was that an indecent proposal?” Kim asked.

“It’s only indecent if you think it is...” said Sam gingerly.

“Well, what did you really mean by that?” solicited Kim.

Sam paused briefly to find the right words to say.

“Oh, I was only thinking of benign dancing...nothing else...” confirmed Sam. “There is this club several blocks down...care to celebrate some more?”

“Ohh...I thought you wanted to...ask me...about...you know...” Kim said, lowering her head slightly from the embarrassment.

“I’m not that kind of a guy Kim...” said Sam, chortling at Kim’s momentary brush with depravity.

Instead, Kim smiled warmly at him.

“In that case, yes...let’s go!” decided Kim. “But no more drinks for me...just benign dancing.”

“Suit yourself...” replied Sam.

Sam once again, sipped the remaining wine in his glass. His eyes started to look glassy.

“Don’t you think you’ve had enough?” said Kim. “Of the wine, I mean...”

“Nah...Kim, you should have seen the amount of wine we had last time at the Star Magic ball...”

“Star Magic Ball?”

“Ohh...I forgot to tell you...” Sam revealed. “The twosome gruesome will certainly be there. Angel won’t go to that party without a date. I’m pretty sure, Gerald is the only decent guy he could put together in such a short notice...so, are you up to another round of mindless acting and relationship-breaking?”

“Why not? When is that going to be?” asked Kim.

“That will be held a couple days from now...” answered Sam.

“But...I don’t have anything to wear...” replied Kim.

“I will, of course, take care of that...” assured Sam, giving her a wink.

Kim smiled once more at him. He was such a nice guy. If only Gerald could be half as nice.

“It’s about time we take our act to the road, Kim!” said Sam, emptying the remaining contents of the wine bottle into his glass.

“Yes, let’s celebrate our imminent success!” said Kim, raising her half-empty wine glass. “To operation: Break-up!”

“Cheers to us, darling!” Sam greeted happily.

.
.
.

Meanwhile outside, Gerald’s mind started to fill with decadent thoughts. He couldn’t fathom the depth of his emotions. His mind right now was like a war zone of conflicting feelings. The more he stayed in his car waiting, the more confused he became.

Damn it! Why does he feel this unseemly jealousy about Kim and Sam? Why is he so freaking worked up about it? Who was she anyway? She was just a girl who brings him flowers! Flowers...flowers that he sends to other girls! He had no right to feel this way! NO!!! He shouldn’t be doing this...

Then, an image of Kim kissing Sam entered Gerald’s mind. He closed his eyes grimly. He tried to squeeze shut his eyelids to somehow prevent the intrepid thought from entering his mind. But it did, nonetheless.

That is why Gerald was sitting ih his car, alone in the dark, waiting for them to step out of the restaurant. He had to see it for himself. In the beginning, Gerald thought Kim was just putting up an act. But when he saw them together today, Gerald was somehow convinced that Kim was genuinely enamoured with Sam. Who wouldn’t be? The guy was the perfect archetypal hero in the minds of many women. His stance alone, sends pheromones aflutter.

Now, Gerald was waiting for them, cowering in the car, in almost pitch darkness. He knew , this is his only chance to see if they were indeed...just acting.

He needed to know for sure...for his heart’s sake.

Several songs from his dashboard later, Gerald saw them walk out of the door.

Kim was a picture of happiness. She was holding on to Sam’s hand like it was her only lifeline. Each of her step, spelled genuine delight. She was almost bouncing. And they were laughing together...almost as if the world existed just for the two of them.

Gerald closed his eyes...he can’t see any of that no more.
It was just the most painful thing he had ever seen in his life. And everything unfolded almost like in dreadful slow motion. IT was as if Gerald was watching a scene from a film noir, where the heroine was about to seduce the conflicted hero...and Gerald himself, was the gunman hidden in the shadows.

To make matters worse... Kim tripped, and Sam was quick enough to rescue her. And with one swift motion, Sam's lips was on hers. And it stayed there for at least ten minutes. Of course, in reality it may have been just a second or two...but for Gerald, it was way too long to call an accidental kiss. It was intentional and it was well meant. And what hurts him more, was Kim didn’t even protest.

Gerald’s heart was so filled with jealous energy. But somehow, he can't help but feel that he had lost it all. Kim was now for Sam’s taking. He can’t do anything about it.

“! Enough now, Gerald...enough now...” Gerald said to himself as he rammed on his gas pedal. His tires screeched as his black sports car sped away...maybe then, he could outrun his rage.

.
.
.

Kim meanwhile was getting in Sam's car, flushed in the face. Sam Pascual had just kissed her! Her heart fluttered incessantly. Sasha would surely die of envy if she knew all about it.

That is when it suddenly hit Kim, maybe Sam wasn’t really joking when he said that he liked her.

“What was that all about?” Kim dared ask Sam the moment he stepped into the car.

“I don’t know, Kim...” said Sam. “I just really felt like I had to...should I be sorry?”

“No, why would you?”

“So, you liked it then?” Sam joked.

“No way! I thought it was sloppy...” said Kim to somehow trivialize the matter. “Next time, warn me, so that I will be prepared...I could give it my best!”

“Then, it won’t be instantaneous...”

“I don’t like instant...it’s fleeting.” replied Kim. “I like pre-meditation...because it’s dangerous...”

“Gosh, I’m blushing now, Kim...”

“Just turn the g*ddamn thing on and let’s go...” said Kim, laughing. “Come on...I'm itching to dance...”

“Whatever you wish, master!” said Sam, turning the ignition on.

Soon enough, they were on the road. Sam, having drunk one too many glasses of wine, soon started to feel the effects of the drink. His vision was blurry and his hands were uncoordinated. It wasn’t long before they were heading straight to a lamppost at 80 kilometers an hour.

Kim shrieked as she saw the car heading for a collision with the street lamp. Sam slammed the brakes but it wasn’t fast enough. The car rammed into the sidewalk fixture with a gut-wrenching blast.

Kim almost instantly blanked out.

.
.
.

As fate would have it, the very first face Kim saw several hours later...was none other than that of her hero...and saviour...

Gerald.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.