BABY - Prologue / The Tale of the Two Andres

Seven Incarnations
December 12, 2008...morning.

The black cat with green eyes gracefully made his way down the drainpipes. He kept following a couple of tasty mice, his pink tongue darting out into the air. He could almost taste the victory of a prize catch. It had been days since he had a rodent for a meal and these scuttling vermin were just too tempting for him to resist.

As the cat nears the edge of the sewer, where the brackish water drains off to a giant embankment, the hungry feline hears a familiar whistle. It was faint, but the cat was definite that it was his master calling. He pauses, contemplating whether to pursue his furball meal or to heed the call of his rightful master.

The tomcat slowly turns around and runs back the seemingly endless turns of the underbelly of the metro. It stops briefly, a bit disoriented. But the moment he hears his master’s distant whistle, he scampers towards the light emanating from an uncovered manhole. Even the with the considerable distance and heavy humdrum of the midday traffic, the cat still hears his master call past these noises. His ears are unlike any other cat. Maybe because he was already old, and like any creature that grows older, hearing tends to be fine-tuned.

The cat deftly climbed a the three feet ceiling. His master needs him. No amount of treat will make the cat disobey his lifelong friend.

As the feline reaches the surface, a busy street instantly faces him. He had to slink his way past the mindless feet of the unobservant farer. Even if it was a sidewalk, it offered no refuge to him. He was a cat and not a special one at that. People, are naturally cruel to creatures like him. He had to avoid getting any attention, like a ghost.

Because it was rush hour, the traffic was at its heaviest. However, such chaotic scenery does not falter the tomcat one bit. He was used to it. Like the countless beggars riddling the street of manila bay, the cat is likewise an old soul. A veteran of the streets.

From his left, a shoe almost hit his belly.

The cat screeched and bared its paws at the young man who almost stepped on him. The boy was obviously in a hurry.

“Oopss...” the teenager exclaimed as he jumps over the cat.

“Skeeeccchhh....” the cat answered back. In cat language, it loosely translated to, “watch out, idiot...”

“Oh, ...” the young man shouted at himself, realizing just now the implications of the ominous passing of a black cat in front of him. Bad luck.

Sensing that he had been cursed, the tomcat bobbed his head and flashed the boy his newly-sharpened teeth... like that would scare the young man. Nonetheless, the creature wanted to show him who’s boss.

The young fellow named Carlo Guevarra side-stepped to avoid the angry feline. He had so many bad things happening to him today that he didn’t want to add cat scratch to the list of his misfortunes.

The cat went on his way. He was now about to cross the busiest street of the country. Roxas Boulevard.

Cars and Jeepneys flew from every direction of that busy Manila street. The cat looked left and right, assessing the flow of the vehicle from both directions. Didn’t I tell you he was a wise cat?

After seeing a brief break in the traffic, the cat darted its way down the street as it had countless times before. He certainly was not minding the fact that almost a few inches separated him from being a roadkill doing such stint of blind faith. Several people gasped as the cat expertly dodged one car after another. Seeing the cat roll, a lot of the drivers avoided him maniacally. Who would want to kill a black cat? Any other cat, it will be okay to run over...just not a black cat. Who would want to contend with double dose of MALAS (bad luck)???!!!

Near the opposite sidewalk, the cat heaved a sigh. He looked back across the street at the young man who almost ran him over. Somehow, he wanted to boast to this guy his ability to cross a busy street in one piece.

However, the cat didn`t see the white taxi cab hurtling directly towards him.

The weary taxi driver saw the helpless creature crossing the intersection and slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting him.

However, it was all too futile.

The black car behind the white cab failed to brake on time too and it rear-ended the taxi towards the incoming traffic. A large semi hit the cab on the side sending the fateful driver and it`s passenger into one of the most horrible pile-ups the busy metro has ever seen.

The sound of metal and death rang during those precious milliseconds. Screams filled the air momentarily and then shock ensued. The cat shuddered at the side of the road. Despite being a cat, he too understood what had just transpired. It was another close call for him. Only this time, he really got lucky.

The cat hissed as the hairs on his back stood up. If only he can do the sign of the cross, he would have. He meowed once more.

In his mind he said, “Oh , I have two lives left....”

The cat ran guiltily towards the opposite direction; struggling past the mad dash of people now flocking the scene of the incident. He promised himself never to cross that street ever again.

However, it was all too late for the driver of the cab. He was dead on the spot. His name was Andres Montanez.

.
.
.

“Deyb! Deyb!” called out Andres Capulong.

Not one soul showed up. He whistled once more, but still no Deyb. On his hand is a saucer filled with fish bones and left over “ginataang monggo”. IT was for his only true friend remaining in the world. His black cat, Dave (or Deyb, as Andres fondly calls him...).

Suddenly, from his left, Andres sees a bouncy, black furry creature scurrying past the countless potholes that riddled the narrow alley leading to his very modest shanty.

Andres, instantly picked up the cat by the belly, and his back. “Deyb, where have you been? I’ve been looking all over for you...”

The cat purred in response.

Deyb closed his eyes and uttered a simple prayer. A minute ago a car almost ran over him, now, he gets a scrumptious meal. Though many people label him as bad luck, the cat could not feel any more blessed than he does right now. He was now safe in the hands of his master.

Andres places Deyb gently on the floor and his treat beside him. The cat attacked his food like there is no tomorrow. Andres smiled contentedly as he sees his pet relishing his meal.

Andres quickly flicked the black hairs Dave shed on his white undershirt. He moves over to the kitchen where his newly pressed, white waiter’s uniform hung on the back of one of the chairs. He was on his way out to his job as a waiter at the trendy restaurant, the Blue Room.

As Andres was about to finish buttoning up his shirt, he hears commotion outside his house.

He heard a couple of old ladies scream...”Tulong! Tulong! (Help! Help!)

Andres runs outside. There he meets, Minyong, his cousin`s son...

“O, Minyong! What’s wrong?”

“Mang Andres, a truck hit a taxi cab and crashed at the intersection...you know, the one in front of Aling Mila’s sari-sari store...” answered the puffing Minyong, pointing to the corner just a block from Andres’ shanty. “She said it has now turned into a pile-up!”

“How many cars were involved?”

“Aling Minda, called my mom just now and she said, five or six more cars rammed into each other...a lot of people are hurt...”

From where they were, Andres could hear the sound of the police and the firetruck siren. Something inside him told him that this was no ordinary accident. He shuddered lightly...he could smell pandemonium and wide-spread panic about to explode. It was uncanny.

Suddenly, Andres and Minyong hear a couple of women bawling...coming towards them from the direction of the supposed crash site. They could hardly contain themselves.

“Oh, what happened?” Andres asked the couple.

“This is so tragic!” said one of the ladies. Her name is Rita. She was the ugliest 65-year-old Minyong has ever seen in his life.

“Why did you say so, Aling Rita?” queried Minyong.

“He’s ...he’s...dead!” incoherently answered the much younger of the two ladies, Elizabeth. She fared no better than Rita, as she was 62 with no teeth. “I can’t believe he’s gone...just like that!”

“Who’s dead?” demanded Andres impatiently.

“Your kumpare (godbrother) Andres...he`s dead!”

All the color drained off from Andres Capulong’s face.

HE quickly turns around and enters his shanty once more. He goes straight towards the old dresser in his bedroom. From there he unearthed an old framed photograph.

It was of his only daughter Kim. Tears ran down his cheeks and fell into the cheap, glass frame. Andres readily wiped it, not really appreciating the tarnish his tears make on his daughter`s face.

“I don’t understand it...” he said with conviction. “Tell me, anak...is your death really worth all of these?”

Andres felt empty. And what fills the idle heart, better than rage. He immediately hurled the frame into the plywood partition wall. It hit the barrier so hard, the glass was literally powdered upon impact.

Kim’s photograph fluttered in the air and settled on the floor. Her smile on the picture never waivered. She seemed...intact.

.
.
.

Twenty three years ago, our story starts.

IT was the year 1985...year of the wood Ox according to Chinese astrology. It was the December prior to the dawn of the bleakest chapter of Philippine history. The quartet of the Tiger moon was looming, and EDSA Revolution was just around the corner. These were the times when the ruling Marcoses were about to tighten their hold of the country amidst the tide of the uprising masses. Everyone was in the state of paranoia.

Strangely enough, a part of the country was immune to all of these.

TONDO.

Back in those days, Tondo was a happy place to live. Peace seemed to flourish the otherwise unruly town. Despite the martial law and the unstable national peace and order situation, Tondo was united.

This was largely because, two of its most respected residents...two families...were at peace.

The Capulongs, headed by their Ilocano leader, Andres Capulong...ruled the Northeastern portion of the city. Anything north of Estero Sunog Apog was their territory. The Capulong clan was known to be brooding and treacherous. They are not as boisterous as most clans, but they take their lineage seriously.

The Southwestern portion of Tondo are mostly populated by a good mix of Ilonggos...headed by the Montanez family. The Montanez family had long been a respected by the townsfolk, especially their chief patron, Andres Montanez. They are known to be loud and lavish, but they are no fools when it comes to anyone trying to disturb their hive. They would spare no expense protecting their expanding family and territory.

If we go further back into the 60’s...these two clans were natural enemies.

A local saying would say, “An Ilonggo and an Ilocano can never live next to each other. That is why the gods placed the Ilocano’s in the north while the Ilonggos are in the south of the country. No two races in the world are more indifferent to each other than Ilonggos and Ilocanos. If these two get together, chaos will surely ensue.”

As fate would have it, ever since the birth of the two Andreses in 1960, there had been no feuds between these two rival clans. It was as if both families suddenly realized their commonality with each other. They have now a leader to pin their hopes for a better life upon.

The simultaneous birth of the two only sons, signalled a time for change for the people of Tondo. A mini zeitgeist exploded into the consciousness of the people. Cultural lines began to diminish.

Tondo was the birth place of Andres Bonifacio, the true National Hero of the masses. The two patriarchs, Felipe Montanez and Arturo Capulong , never hesitated to name their only sons after him. They both dreamt of their sons embodying the same degree of bravery and valor the national hero had.

Andres Capulong, or Andy, was born first. Like most of his family members, he is docile and soft spoken. He is tall and lanky, yet in his stance, a quiet strength emanated from inside him.

Andres Montanez, or Andoy, was born a few days after Andy. He is the exact opposite of the other boy. Andoy is friendly and cheerful. He can be a bit naughty but he has this endearing character to him.

The two Andreses grew up together back in the days when Tondo, Manila wasn’t the smelly and rundown place like it was now. The streets were clean and orderly. Small industries and businesses flourished at every corner. Being the two richest families in the district, their families naturally pitted the two Andreses against one another.

They went to the same school, they would go to the same church...it was almost like they would run into each other at every turn. The two boys were living parallel lives. Most of the time, people around them held their breaths whenever there was an opportunity these two boys come near each other. IT was as if they expected these two to start fighting each other at eye contact, like hatred run in their veins.

However, such was not the case. The two Andreses realized that there is more to their existence than feuding. Rebellious as they both were, they gravitated towards each other. They realized that discrimination is not inherited but is a product of experience...and they never had such experience. There is no reason for them to
hate each other. As they grew further into manhood, the two Andreses paved the way for a reconciliation among the families. The two boys became best of friends.

.
.
.

However, what is destined to happen...shall happen.

We go back to that fateful December night of 1985.

Andoy and Andy was spending a balmy evening drinking with their mutual pal, Kristo Acuin. The night was young and the moon was full. It was Kristo’s thirtieth birthday. They had a small table set up at the latter’s expansive corralled front yard. Outside, the militia was holding out raids. Curfew was imposed, no one is to be seen on the streets past 10 pm. Inside Kristo’s gated residence, the revelry continues amidst the glaring tension of the outside world. But, no one could stop the two Andreses from celebrating.

It all started out as an ordinary evening for the two 25-year-olds...

“Here’s to you, pare!” said a drunk Andoy. He is sweating heavily. Being on the tubby side, Andoy reeked of a mixture of pot and gin. “In a week’s time, say goodbye to your bachelor life!”

“IT’s not gonna happen, pare...” answered the similarly drunk Andy. “We’re still gonna do this every night...even if my wife will kill me...”

“Eloisa will definitely kill you if you go out with the barkada (group) every night...” said the somewhat sober Kristo.

“I tell you, man...Eloisa will have to contend with me...she will have to do what I will tell her to do...” said Andy. “if I say...Honey, I will drink with my friends tonight...instead of nagging, she will have to cook Bagnet for pulutan instead...”

The trio laughed gregariously.

“Gago ka pare! You’re only marrying Eloisa to have somebody cook for you...”

“Why not? Isn’t that what a girl’s use in the world...to cook and clean the house?” answered Andy.

“Yes....that and ...” agreed Andoy.

“ and babies...cheers, my friends!” added Kristo.

The trio clunked their gin-filled Nescafe glasses in the air.

“How about you, pare? When are you getting married?” asked Kristo to Andoy.

“Yeah...whatever happened to that Stella?” jeered Andy.

“Stella? She was just ... a heat of the moment...she’s nothing...” answered Andoy with slimy exuberance. “Pareng Kristo, I have no plans of getting married if a girl will only stand in the way my vices...”

“You’ll die a bachelor then, my friend...” said Andy.

“So be it! There is nothing wrong with that. I will have no permanent responsibilities but myself. Yes, I will be a bachelor... but with many queridas (mistresses)...” Andoy exclaimed.

The three laughed once more. More shots of gin were passed around.

All of a sudden, Andoy turned serious. “Promise me, pare...you take care of Eloisa...she is one hell of a catch...”

“Don’t worry, pare...” said Andy. “I realize that...that is why I am marrying her...”

“Just promise that you won’t let a girl come between the two of you...” Kristo said suddenly.

The two Andres immediately turned to him.

“What did you mean by that, pare?” asked Andy.

“Wala lang...most friendships are ruined by fighting over a woman anyway...” explained Kristo.

“Yeah, but why say that though?.., Isn’t your advice a little bit too late...he’s getting married next week...” Andoy replied cheekily.

“Like I said...that will never happen to the two of us...Eloisa will not be a problem, right pare?” Andy said.

“Friends for life, man!” Andoy answered, giving Andy a high five.

Kristo looked at them with a bit of trepidation. Like he knew something was about to happen.

“Oh, Chrissakes, you two...just remember what I said....” Kristo said with a nervous laugh.

“You’re weird, pareng Kris...” Andy commented as he poured Kristo another shot of whiskey.

“He is weird alright...What do you expect anyway, being the son of the greatest manghuhula (fortuneteller) in Quiapo...” Andoy retorted.

Kristo laughed hollowly. “I think that sometimes my mom’s powers rubbed off on me...”

“Really, in what way?” asked Andoy.

“I get visions...crazy ones...”

“So, did you envision the two of us fighting over a girl in the future?” Andy said incredulously.

“I don’t know...it wasn’t too clear...I just could feel a lot of pain and hurt involved...”

“Here...take this shot...” said Andoy, handing Kristo another glassful of gin. “ It will make your visions clearer...”

“Cheers to that!” bellowed Andy, slapping high fives with Andoy.

They were both in the middle of mocking Kristo we suddenly their friend went rigid. Andy caught him, just as Kristo was about to hit the ground.

“He’s having a seizure...”shouted Andy.
Kristo’s body contorted then his eyes rolled. With his fist clenched tightly, he began jerking uncontrollably. His mouth started to foam.

“What are we going to do?” panicked Andoy.

As fast as it happened, it quickly ended as well. To the duo’s surprise, Kristo stopped pulsating, and stood up like nothing happened.

“You just had a seizure...” said Andoy.

“No...I didn’t...”answered Kristo. He was shivering.
“Oh, yes you did, we were trying to hold you down...you were seizing like crazy for a good five minutes...” Andy recounted to him.

“ I didn’t have a seizure...I had a vision...”

Andoy and Andy looked at each other. They silently helped their friend back to his seat.

“What vision?” Andy asked.

“I think I saw the future...” answered Kristo, his lower lip trembling. “The future for both of you...”

“What? Us?” Andoy exclaimed. “This is crazy...”

“The...scenes I saw were very clear....” Kristo said. He was definitely not drunk now. Frankly, none of them were anymore.

“What did you see?” asked Andy. His curiosity got the better of him.

“Have you guys ever wondered why you were both named Andres?” asked Kristo.

“Why?” the pair asked simultaneously.

“I just figured it out...” Kristo added, his eyes peered on them. He shifted his stare from Andy to Andres then back. On his face was a look of contempt...

“What does it have to do with us?” asked Andoy.

“You two, listen to me carefully...promise me first, you won’t react until I finish telling you what I saw...”

“But...” added Andoy.

“Silence...promise me silence...” insisted Kristo.
Both Andy and Andoy nodded.

Kristo then recounted his bone-chilling vision.

“As much as you two are friends now...you are natural enemies. Even being named both Andres has some cosmic significance. You two are never meant to be friends. You will have to compete for everything...not only in name... I mean, everything. You are both cursed to a lifetime of hurt for each other. That is how it was meant to be...”

The two friends gasped from what they heard, but the visionary continued his story...

“However, by being friends...you have somehow angered fate. The lack of bloodshed between your families these last few years has caused fate to ask for redemption. I don’t know how or when, but somehow...you will hate each other again. Your families will once again battle each other for your right to exist in this world...”

Kristo paused. His eyes were as large as saucers.

“That is one load of bull!” Andoy exclaimed. He looked at Andy, but his friend was more interested to listen.

Andy eventually flashed him an impatient look.

“Sshhh...” he said to Andoy. “Listen up...”

“There’s more...” said Kristo. “Five years from now...at the turn of the decade...each of you will bear a child. They are fate’s redemptions. If these two, end up as friends like you two are now...or worse, if they fall in love with each other...one of you will die!”

“That is the greatest load of I’ve ever heard in my life...” said Andoy.

“It’s up to you if you don’t believe it...” declared Kristo. “I’m just giving you fair warning...your destinies lie in your own hands...”

Despite Andoy's apparent lack of belief, Andy was the opposite. He soaked in every word Kristo said.

“You said this is a curse...” said Andy. “That means, like all curses, it can be broken...”

“Don’t tell me you believe all of these, pare?!” sniggered Andoy.

Andy ignored his friend. Instead, he grabbed his clairvoyant friend by the shoulders and said. “Tell me, Kristo. How can the curse be stopped...”

“I wish I knew...” Kristo answered.

“You must know something...” Andy compelled him. A sense of panic in his eyes.

“This is one of life’s greatest paradoxes....I am not really 100 percent sure of this, but what begets life...deserves a life in return, right?”

“What do you mean by that?” Andoy said.

“Pare, I really don’t know...” Kristo answered truthfully. He too, was never so unsure of himself. HE wasn’t a full time manghuhula...how should he know how fate plays his cards?

“Andy, can’t you see Kristo is just pulling our leg?” said Andoy, trying to make things trivial. “This is all a joke right?”

“I really wish I was joking, pare...” said Kristo. “With that vision too, I just saw myself die tomorrow...”

Andoy and Andy looked at each other. They simultaneously poured a heavy shot of gin. Their faces were a picture of grim.

Kristo laughed nervously. “Relax, pare...if both of you see me alive tomorrow...then the prophecy is not true, right?”

None of the two answered. In their minds, the consequences of the future played on like a broken radio.

“Cheers, pare!” Kristo said.

They all downed their last heavy shot for the night.

Unfortunately for Kristo, that what his last drink. True enough, the next morning, Kristo was found dead near a sewer pipe a few blocks from his house...his body was severely mutilated. People generally believed that Kristo’s death was a case of mistaken identity. Many believed it was the military that killed him.

But Andoy and Andy knew it was really the curse that killed Kristo. Like he said, it was meant to be.

The two Andres never spoke to each other after that night.

.
.
.

Week after Kristo’s death, Andy Capulong walked down the aisle of Binondo church waiting for his bride. But no Eloisa showed up.

She was found later in the arms and on the bed of Andoy Montanez. They finally owned up to the illicit affair they were keeping from Andy.

As revenge, the Capulongs, headed by Andy, crossed the Estero Sunog Apog boundary and burned the thriving business establishment of the Montanezes. The Ilocanos retaliated by thrashing the restaurants the Capulong’s built. A full-fledged war was waged.

Soon enough, more and more blood fuelled the anger of the two families. In true gang fashion, family members from both sides diminished one by one.

Ubusan ng angkan...

As predicted, Andoy and Eloisa got married a year later. Andy, not to be outdone, found himself a wife he didn’t love. He nabbed the most beautiful girl in Binondo. .. a young lady of Chinese descent.

They warred with each other for more years to come. It grew to a point that all their families’ wealth were squandered unnecessarily. Soon enough, the two Andres’ found themselves leaders of the most violent gangs Tondo has ever seen. Moneyless, both of them...but courage was of prime value.

Like Kristo said, Eloisa and Andres Montanez bore a child of even-temperament. They named him Gerald as he was angelic.

A few months later, as the decade changed into the 90’s...Kim Capulong was born to a disappointed father. Andy wanted a son. Feeling her father’s cold reception, the baby never stopped crying...she was as stubborn as a mule.

.
.
.

And all that started that one fateful night. ..

Unknown to the two Andreses, Kristo’s death started a chain of events that will lead them to where they are right now.

Bitter enemies. Bitter rivals. Nemesis for the rest of their lives.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

(this is just a preview...just to lay the groundwork for the love story between Kim and Gerald. It may be a bit dark and scary, but all that will change soon. promise...-regina-)