BABY - Chapter Three

Seven Incarnations
CHAPTER THREE
"Distractions"

.
.
.

Kim remembered vividly the very first time they met. They were quite young then. She wasn’t certain now, how she was able to remember all of this. IT was somehow inculcated in her mind.

Since that time, he had been the hero of her many childhood stories. His angelic face carried her through the tough moments in her life.

Though their first meeting was brief, Kim treasured it in her heart till now. Almost ten years later...

She was nine then. Kim didn’t know anybody from her new school. Since this was a private school, her snooty classmates never gave her a chance to penetrate their otherwise set social circle. Even in the third grade, social profiling was ever so evident.

While waiting for her ride home, Kim would spend the rest of her afternoons on that lonely swing on the far end of the school grounds. Kim chose that spot as none of the other kids seemed to go there. There, she was free to be herself.

One afternoon, she had an unwelcome company. A young boy...almost as old as she, was occupying one of her swings.

“Hi...you’re new too...” Kim said, noting the fact that she had not seen him before.

“No...I’ve been going to school here ever since I was in kindergarten...” he answered.

“How come I’ve haven’t seen you here before?”

“That’s because you’re new...” he snapped at her.

“Are all kids here mean to new students?”

“Sometimes...” he said bowing his head down Then, he cheerily looked up. “But I’m not...”

Kim saw the opportunity to meet a friend. She immediately dropped her knapsack and ran over to the other seat.

Soon enough, they were gaily swinging back and forth, arching their bodies higher, trying to see who could go the farthest.

After that, as they tire from swinging, they spent the next few minutes just knowing each other.

“By the way, I’m Kim Capulong...I just transferred here a couple days ago..”

“I’m Gerald...Gerald Montanez...” he introduced himself. “St. Dominic Montessori is really a nice school...Once you get used to the kids, it really is fun here...”

“I’m in third grade...and most of my classmates are mean...”

“Well, I’m in fourth grade. Two years ago, I was new here too. They were like that at first, but eventually they will like you too...”

“Do you think?”

“Yes, why not...you’re nice...” Gerald said shyly.

Kim received the first compliment of her young life. She didn’t know what to make of it. She blushed profusely.

“Thanks...” Kim said. “you’re nice too...”

Gerald flashed her his pearly white teeth. Even when he was a young boy, Gerald could melt every young girl’s heart.


Kim found herself once again giddy.

“You know what...” Gerald said. “I have to teach you something...”

“What is it?”

“It’s a joke...I made it up myself...but it’s yours now, if you want it...”

“Why would I want a joke?” Kim asked.

“You can use this to make friends...” Gerald said. “I promise you, once you tell them this joke...it’s guaranteed...they’ll laugh like crazy then they'll be your friends right away...”

“Really, Gerald?”

“Yes...I used it on all of my new friends...” Gerald boasted.

“Okay...what is it?” Kim asked of him.

“Promise me, you will laugh at the end...” said Gerald with eyes as bright as sunshine.

“Okay, promise...but only if it's really funny...”said the young Kim.

“Sure, here it goes: ‘Why can’t an Ilonggo marry an Ilocano?” quizzed Gerald.

Kim eyed him oddly. She racked her brains for answers, but she could not find any. “Why not?”

“Come on, think about it...” urged Gerald with a smile.

“I don’t know...” Kim said truthfully. “I was not aware that one can’t marry the other....”

“Are you giving up then?” Gerald asked.

“Okay, sirit na ( I give up)! “ Kim replied.

“An Ilonggo cannot marry an Ilocano because they are both guys...” Gerald chortled.

Kim at first was slow to get it. Then the corners of lifted into a smile. Then, the next moment, she was laughing her stomach out.

Gerald smiled like he was so proud of himself. He laughed with her too. “Of course, an Ilonggo can only marry an ILocana and an Ilocano can only marry an Ilongga....”

“Ha ha ha...you’re very clever...” Kim admitted.

“See...it works...” Gerald said.

“What works?” Kim was baffled.

“The joke...”

“In what way?”

“Didn’t I tell you it will help you gain friends?”

“So....”

“IT works, doesn’t it? Now, you’re my friend too!” Gerald said with the most arresting smile.

Kim could not help but sigh. “Yes...friends for life...”

"Yes...for life!" the young boy agreed. "Let's shake on it..."

They shook hands,on that very same swing, as if they willingly agreed to be friends forever.

“I like you, Kim Capulong...” he said gently.

“I like you too, Gerald Montanez...”

It was the very first time Kim admitted her feelings for anybody, much less a boy her age. She was quite confused as to what that poignant moment meant. She had seen older people in TV do it before, but was it valid for kids their age too? Does this mean, now that they had admitted their feelings for one another, that she and Gerald were a “couple” too?

Kim turned into the deepest shade of red as Gerald refused to let go of her hand as they swung back and forth.

“Like I said, it’s yours now...” Gerald said candidly.

“Huh? What is mine now?” Kim asked. She was slow to recover from her daydreaming.

“The joke...you can use it to make more friends...”

“Thanks...but I think I’ll keep to myself...” Kim said.

“Why?”

“Because...I don’t want to share it with anybody else...only with you...”

Kim was shocked by her own candor. Her latest admission sent her reeling in shame. It was out before she knew it. She wanted to shrink in her side of the swing from embarrassment.

She looked down on her shoes, a futile attempt to conceal her embarrassment.

Gerald, meanwhile, felt in his heart the sincerity of her words. At that moment, he felt...special.

Gerald moved his hanging seat closer to her. With trembled hands, he slowly lifted her chin to allow her to meet his eyes. HE doesn’t know what possessed him to move his head closer to hers, but he did.

Slowly, they moved their heads nearer...inching ever so slowly to each other's mouth.

Kim felt her stomach tremble, her hands were now moist but she willed herself to hold on to that chain no matter what.

Slowly, Gerald angled his head and pressed his tender lips into Kim’s trembling ones.

The moment their young lips touched, Kim felt an electricity travel from her lips to her toes. She never felt anything that powerful before.

Maybe it was the fact that theirs was a union of two pure hearts. Kim remembers that glorious feeling to this day...it was that powerful.

She only had to close her eyes, and she could picture his young face gently touching her lips. Nobody ever forgets their first kiss. Even the most cynical person in the world dreams of that special moment. Kim was lucky she found hers with Gerald Montanez.

“I’m sorry...”Gerald said immediately afterwards. “I didn’t know what came over me...”

“Don’t worry...I won’t tell anybody...”

“Promise?” Gerald prodded.

“Yes...promise...” Kim said.

Suddenly, they both heard something stir from behind them.
Two groups of men, simultaneously approach them from opposite directions.

“Kimberly...come here this very instant...” her dad Andres ordered.

Kim looked disdainfully at Gerald then she rushed to her father’s side.

Andres immediately hugged his daughter in relief. Kim was a bit surprised of his sudden show of emotion.

“Itay, what is it?”

“Kimmy, do you know that boy?” Andres said to Kim, as he pointed towards the direction of the group of men surrounding Gerald.

“Yes...he’s my friend...” Kim admitted.

“From now on...I don’t want you to talk to him ever again...”

“But why?” Kim’s young mind refused the order.

“Promise me, you will stay away from him at all cost...”

“Itay...why?”

“Just promise me, Kim...” said Andres. “They are evil people. They are here to hurt either me or you...”

Kim suddenly felt afraid. As she looked over to her friend, the men surrounding him began looking at a very sinister manner at her. Kim held on to his father’s jacket tightly.

“Anak, remember their faces. If you ever come across them in the future...promise me, baby, you will run away from them with all your might... don’t ever let them hurt you...”

“Yes, itay, I promise...” Kim said with a sigh.

Kim reluctantly agreed with her father's request knowing it was best for her. But somehow, as she looked at the boy, who was now being dragged away by the baleful thugs, Kim still felt she could trust him.

After all, he promised to be her friend and she in return, promised to be his friend too...forever.

.
.
.

The referee’s whistle once again sounded, jolting Kim back into reality.

The fight for the championship became very tight. Both teams put out all the stops. The Slashers finally managed to surge on ahead of the Stallions.

Barty, however, refused to give up. His team retaliated by pouncing on the Slashers’ lack of inside defenders. HE and the other big guys, muscled their way for baskets after basket. The Slashers meanwhile, through mostly because of Gerald’s brilliant play, responded by hitting their outside shots.

Neither team edged ahead by more than four points. As soon as one team takes the lead, the other retaliates brilliantly to keep the scores close. The battle became more heated as it came down to the last two minutes.

“Brace yourself folks...” said the commentator. “It’s the last two minutes of the season and we’re tied at 90 all. Stallions ball...”

Kim and Kitkat’s throats were now dry and scratchy from all the shouting. Kim, however, was secretly cheering for Gerald too. The largely Ilocano crowds though, were booing him like crazy.

Even Dave, from under the bleacher seats, was excited as well. He had never seen an athletic competition so compelling as this before. It sure beats watching a mouse on a wheel.

The Stallions ballhandler made the inbounds play for District 1. The point guard dribbled aimlessly on top of the tree point arch. On the shaded area, Barty was posting up the opposing center. Gerald, however, was quick to recognize what their plan was. As soon as the point guard made the pass to Barty, Gerald made his way from behind Barty and poked the ball from his hand. This sent the ball rolling on the floor. Gerald and Barty simultaneously dove for the ball.

Being a ton heftier than Gerald was, Barty banged into his young body like a truck. As he grabbed the ball, Barty unknowingly sent Gerald flying into the bleachers and into Kim’s waiting arms!

For a moment, Kim thought Gerald was goners for sure. With his sweaty head on her lap, Kim didn’t know what to do with him.

“Oh my GOd, it seemed like a nasty fall for Gerald Montanez...” said the announcer.

There was a sudden hushed silence. People awaited for some movement to come from Gerald.

“Kimmy, is he alright?” Kitkat asked.

“I don’t know...I don’t think he’s breathing...”

“Check his pulse...” Kitkat suggested.

Kim right away placed her fingers at the side of his throat. She felt a rapid pulse. “I think he’s alive...”

The people around them sighed in relief.

Meanwhile, the referee blew his whistle. Then, he signalled the violation for the Stallions.

“Technical foul to Barty Capulong... the officials ruled it as Flagrant Foul no# 1...Two free throws plus ball possession to the Slashers.” announced the commentator.

“What?” Barty protested. “I didn’t do anything to him...it’s not my fault he banged into me...”

The Ilonggos cheered instantly. They could taste victory now too.

However, Gerald still didn’t move. Players and coaches alike came to Kim’s side. By instinct, Kim caressed and pushed aside the loose strand of hair from his face. Her trembling hand gently cradled the base of his neck, just in case he sustained some neck injury.

“Gerald, are you alright?” asked Marky as he sat beside Kim.

“Son, wake up...” urged coach Andres.

For some reason, holding the limp body of Gerald made Kim cry. She couldn’t understand why she did that, but she wept at the thought of losing him now.

Tears fell from her eyes to Gerald’s cheek.

“Please...wake up...” Kim said under her breath.

Suddenly, Gerald’s eyes opened much to Kim’s surprise.
The moment Gerald saw her gentle face he said, “Thank you, you’re my lucky charm...”

Gerald then gave Kim a quick peck on the cheek. He immediately stood up like nothing happened and marched straight to the free throw line. The crowd immediately made their displeasure known. Kim was stunned in her seat.

It was a ploy and Gerald used her.

Gerald sank his two free throws and gave an assist to increase their lead to four with a minute thirty remaining.

Barty, made a quick shot at the other end while Marky’s effort was foiled by another Stallion player. The Stallions now have the ball and with 20 seconds left, they have a chance to even the score or win outright with a three.

Both clubs requested for time out.

The whole arena was on its feet. The banter became more heated as fans from both sides flashed lewd gestures to one another.

Kim’s heart thudded endlessly. She can’t be certain for sure though if it was from the excitement of the moment or from the fact that Gerald kissed her on the cheeks. But the way her left cheek burned, confirmed that it was the latter that was actually affecting her.

.
.
.

Moment of truth...Twenty seconds remaining.

The Stallions inbounded the ball. Gerald was tasked to guard the inbounder. For one brief second, Gerald and Kim’s gaze met. Gerald recognized her and gave her a smile. HE mouthed the words, “Thank you!”

Kim, in efforts to be demure, dismissed his affront gesture. She turned her attention to the game. Meanwhile, Barty, saw their brief interaction.

The Stallions successfully inbounded the ball. Barty, immediately positioned himself on the high post. The point guard swung the ball over to Barty. He then, made a quick step towards the middle and when he saw a teammate open from the wings, Barty threw the pass over to the other side.

It was too late for the Slashers as their whole defense converged on Barty. One of Kim’s cousins received the ball and immediately hoisted the ball up in the air. It was a three point shot. The crowd exploded in complete pandemonium as the ball sailed into the net with no time remaining.

“Stallions win! The champions of the 2008 basketball league again...District 1 Stallions!!!”

The whole of the Stallion delegation jumped up and down. The collective celebration almost brought the makeshift bleachers down.

Little did they hear of the referee...blowing his whistle.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, it’s not over yet...” announced the commentator. “It seem like referee Marquez saw a foul being committed underneath that basket as the ball went in. IT was a foul on Barty Capulong, his sixth and final foul."

The crowd collectively groaned in disbelief. Several fans threw debris into the court.

The commentator continued, "Now, the rule is, Slashers will have to take two free throws.”

The two referees converged in the middle of the court and discussed the ruling. Soon enough, they approached the scorer’s table and handed in their decision. Two more free throws for Gerald. Since the score stands at 95-94, Stallions...if Gerald sinks his two free throws, they will win the whole thing.

The Stallions called for a time out to ice Gerald.
As their coach was throwing his playboard down on the ground at the sudden turn of events, Barty suddenly came up with a plan.

“Coach, I have an idea...” said Barty.

“What is it?” asked the coach, who was almost in tears.

“Trust me on this one...” Barty said.

He immediately approached Kim and whispered something to her ear. Kim’s eyes widened as she learned of her cousin’s plan.

“NO, I can’t do it...” Kim said.

“Yes, you can...” urged Barty.

“What if it doesn’t work?”

“So be it...at least we tried...” said Barty.

Kim nodded. Barty immediately dragged her to the place where he wanted her to stand...almost under their opponent’s basket together with the other people seated there.

Gerald confidently made his way to the free throw line.
The referee gave him the ball. He dribbles it twice.

Then, Gerald’s gaze was caught by a beautiful girl with a contemptible look. She has her arms folded in disgust and gave him a piercing gaze enough to scare the out of him.

It was Kim.

Gerald shrugged her off and hastily shot the ball... The ball went through the air...short. It didn’t even touch the cylinder.

The crowd cheered once more. The girl standing by the goal post looked at him in triumph.

Gerald didn’t know what hit him. Suddenly, with this girl’s presence, his whole sense of being was suddenly in shambles. HE was disconcerted and he couldn’t concentrate.

The referee gave him the ball once more. Gerald dribbled it endlessly. HE briefly closed his eyes and uttered a silent prayer. If he makes this shot, they go into overtime.

Gerald posed for a shot...something he had done million times before. But as his hands let go of the ball, his eyes met briefly with the girl’s piercing gaze...it caused the ball to veer to the left. The ball touched the rim...it circled it twice...and bounced out.

“Stallions win! Stallions win!” the commentator shouted.

The partisan crowd converged in the middle of the court and sought out the District I players.

Gerald was so distraught that he refused to let go of the girl’s stare. He parted his way from amongst the crowds and approached her.

He held her hand tightly and said sternly. “Thanks miss, you just lost me the game...”

Kim, meanwhile, faced him with raw defiance. As with anybody, she could not allow him to stare her down. But deep inside, she was trembling as hell. She said tersely, "you lost it yourself..."

“Take your filthy hands off my cousin, “ Barty said from one side.

“Oh yeah...she’s your cousin?” Gerald said mockingly. “That figures...”

“What did you mean by that?” Barty said as he drove his chest into Gerald’s face.

Marky and his teammates, sensing that Gerald was being bullied by Barty, they surged forward as well.

“You Ilocanos never play fair...” Gerald complained.

“Take that back...” warned Barty. “How dare you come here and insult us in our own territory...”

“Well, it was wrong of us to think that you Ilocanos are half decent now....” Marky added. “Little did we know that you, like your other relatives before you, are still as dirty as reputed...”

Marty didn’t get to finish his spiel when all hell broke loose. Barty began throwing punches into any Slasher player he could find. The smaller Ilonggos, swarmed on him like bees on a hornet. Women and children shrieked.

Soon enough it became an all out brawl.

Gerald, somehow, managed to get himself out of the melee. For a moment, he sees Kim standing dangerously close to the action. On her eyes, the look of complete shock. He thought for a minute, then turned back.

He grabbed Kim by the arm and dragged her out of the arena.

Meanwhile, the policemen arrived. Seeing the scale of the fight, the chief of police, fired a shot through the air.

The sound of his 45 caliber pistol rang like a death toll on a summer’s day. Everyone instantly stood still.

Dave, meanwhile, shivered from under the seats. The stampede almost took his life away. He meowed once more saying, “, this is not my lucky day...”

.
.
.