BABY - Chapter Five

Seven Incarnations

Chapter Five
"Definitions"
.
.
.

Home...

That was where they were headed eventually. Kim never felt more disappointed of the prospect of ending their evening but that seems to be the only logical option as the night deepens into the morning.

At that point, both she and Gerald were merely content in letting time pass by. Side by side they sat on one of the concrete benches of the park, with only the regular rhythm of their heartbeats speaking.

Finally, Gerald stood up and broke the silence.

“What is it that is going through that pretty head of yours?” Gerald asked casually, admiring Kim from a slight distance.

“Pretty head?”

“Yes, you have a lovely, lovely head...” he said. “The prettiest head I’ve ever seen, in fact...”

Kim had to laugh at his sudden candour. He was so unexpectedly witty.

“I bet you say that to a lot of girls...” dismissed Kim.

“Oh, no ma’am...” he readily replied. “I’m a very honest person...I only say things if I really, really mean it...”

Kim gasped internally. The boy has the gift of charm. His face and words are so earnest, anything he says or do, she believes without question. He has this sense of honesty in his eyes that tends to draw anyone into him. Even the harshest of critics would fall prey to his sincerity. Kim starts to wonder if it was his barefaced remarks that were causing her heart to flutter or it was simply the notion of how close they were just now. Regardless, she was caught in the tale he was spinning.

“You don’t believe me, do you?” he said, moving a tad closer.

Kim’s heart was about to explode out of her chest as Gerald moved behind her. He slowly grazed his hand over her long, silky hair.

“Nope...I don’t believe you...” denied Kim in gritted teeth. “You’re just like any other guy...”

“No, I’m not...” he said pressingly, breathing down softly on her neck. “I’m different...”

Kim starts to feel the hairs on her nape stand up. “What are you doing?”

“Taking a close look at you...” he said.

Gerald then slowly circled her but his head never moved an inch from her face. His eyes slowly assessed her very gentle features...painstakingly, in almost like a languid, primordial ritual. It was as if he was reading her face...which to him, is something like an endless prose of the most exquisite lines. As he reached a full 360, he closes his eyes and lightly whimpers, looking as if he has smelled the sweetest aroma in the world. Then, as he opened his eyes, he flashes Kim a contented smile.

“Just as I had thought...” he said.

“What?”

“Not a single flaw...” Gerald replied. “Perfect...your
face is perfect...”

Kim blushes profusely. She said to herself, God help her. What has this boy done to her? His charms are turning out to be too far, too strong to resist. Any moment now, she might just embarrassingly swoon in front of him. She felt her knees weaken, almost giving way to the gravity that was him.

She can’t let that happen. She must resist him...if only
for what remains of the evening.

“I must go home...” Kim said.

“No...not yet...” protested Gerald. “Kim...the night is still young...”

“But it’s past midnight...”

“Midnight is just a phase...it too shall pass...” he answered longfully. “What could a few minutes with me do to stop the morning from coming?”

“Maybe nothing...” Kim admitted. “But I made a promise to my dad that I’d be home right after the game...”

“Come on, Kim. When was the last time were you rebellious?”

“Today...” she replied, smiling naughtily.

“Somehow, I am not surprised to hear that,” admitted Gerald. “I definitely thought I saw a chockfull of insurgency bursting out of those irises of yours earlier...”

“Really?” mocked Kim.

“Yeah...” he said. “It is as if you are like a caged bird held captive for so long...I sense the same adventurous spirit in you...the same longing to explore its surroundings, am I right?”

Kim wanted to deny it, but she knew he wouldn’t believe her anyway. The same way she doesn’t believe herself most of the time. After all, what he said about her was entirely true.

Through the years, Kim’s dad had been overprotective of her, almost to a point of being unreasonable. Like what Gerald said, she longs for moments like this --- a moment where she can be free to do what she wants, and all she wants right now is to spend more time with him.

But, as the roosters made their midmorning crowing, it dawned to Kim even more that their time together has to come to an end.

“That’s a sign...we should go home.” Kim said of the crowing roosters.

“Roosters don’t make good signs...they just crow whenever they feel like it... ”

Kim rolled her eyes at him.

“So, do you really want me to get in trouble?” Kim said fondly.

“No, of course not...” Gerald replied. “That’s the last thing I would want to do. I just want to talk to you some more...”

“Well, can we just talk while you walk me home instead?”

Gerald sighed. He knew that it was with good reason that she had to go home. He gave her a warm smile and nodded. “I wish you lived a million miles away then we could talk forever...”

Kim smiled back. IN her heart, she wished that too.

.
.
.

Side by side, they walked the dark, almost barren streets of Tondo. They were both silent most of the way, perhaps contented on the good feeling of being next to each other.

They passed by a few nameless strangers on the way but Kim felt brazen enough not to care. Some looked at them strangely, like it was forbidden for the two of them to be walking on the same dry and windswept earth. However, Gerald's presence alone was enough to make Kim feel courageous.

“For somebody who wants to talk, you are awfully quiet...” Kim smiled at him, catching him on the corner of her eyes observing her from afar.

He smiled back at her as if he had something interesting to say but held it back.

“What is it?” Kim queried.

“Your hand...it looks lonely...”

Kim had to laugh. It was the most unexpected thing to say.

“Why say that?”

“I don’t know...it feels like it needs a companion...to clasp it...especially the left one...” Gerald said earnestly.

Kim raises and inspects her left hand, “This hand?”

“Yes, it looks...desolate,” Gerald said with a wink.

“Really? What made you say that?”

“I don’t know...it just feels like to me that your hand needs a match, that's all!”

"Hmmm...what game is it you're playing?" Kim said with raised eyebrows.

"Oh, nothing...I just said your hand is lonely, plain and simple...no innuendos, no hidden agendas..." Gerald said defensively.

"So, you just guessed that my hand is lonely?" asked Kim playfully.

"Yes...that was my inference..." Gerald said smartly. " I was just concerned for you. Lonely hands don't make the best hands. They turn wrinkly and callousy if you don't take care of them."

“But this hand works perfectly fine for me...” Kim sneered.

“Oh no... not at all. It definitely is screaming for a friend!” he insisted.

“How about my right hand?” Kim said, raising her palm to his face.

“That one is just fine...” Gerald said. “The left on the other hand...looks really lonesome...”

“What do you think will relieve that?” Kim said with a knowing smile.

“I thought you’d never ask...” he said excitedly.

“Okay, expert of depressed hands...what do you suggest to enliven my sad and forlorn hand?”

“It’s very simple really...” Gerald said. He slowly picked up her left hand and held it tenderly with his right. He let his fingers intertwine between her own, then gave it a gentle squeeze. “I’ll loan you my right hand for now, it could accompany your left hand for a little bit...”

Kim laughs and responds by matching his eager grip.

“I thought I’ve heard every line from the book, but this definitely tops it all...” Kim chortled.

“See, it does feel better, doesn’t it?” chuckled Gerald, looking down on their entwined fists. He was making sure he was holding her snugly.

“Yes...I must admit...it does feel better...” Kim replied candidly.

“I am just happy I could help a lonely hand...”

“Well, my left hand definitely thanks you...” Kim responded with much cheerfulness in her eyes.

"Keep your hand in mine for a little bit longer..." he added in a more pleading manner, holding their enclasped hands up. "Look, they seem to need each other...see how these grooves match each other. See how natural each indentation of my finger matches yours...our hands are made for each other..."

Kim felt her cheeks burn red. "No hidden motives, huh?"

Gerald gave her hand another squeeze. He had no intention of letting her go soon. He then flashed her his patented smile and said, "Can you blame a poor guy for trying?"

.
.
.

Soon enough, they reach Kim’s house. They noticed that the light from the modest shack was still on.

“My dad must still be awake...” Kim grunted, quickly removing her hand from his grip.

“Should I come in and introduce myself?” Gerald asked candidly.

Kim instantly looked at him in terror, “ No...please no!”

“Why not?” he said stubbornly.

“You know why...”

“But we’re not doing anything wrong...” he reasoned.

“Please, Gerald, don’t insist...I’ll be fine right here...” Kim said, blocking his path.

“Are you afraid that your dad will not like me?” he said. “I’m pretty sure that if I let him see that I have the purest of intentions...”

“It’s not a matter of intentions, Gerald...you know that!” sighed Kim.

“That’s the most unfair thing...”

“But, you don’t know my dad...” Kim pleaded. "nothing is ever fair to him with regards to his daughter."

“You kept forgetting that I do know him...” said Gerald. “Through the countless stories of my dad and my family members...I'm pretty sure I have a clear picture of what your dad can do...”

“Then, you have every reason to be afraid of him then...” Kim added.

“Afraid? Why would I be?”

“My dad is a hard man to cross, Gerald...” Kim said. “Don’t be stubborn...”

“I don’t think he would do anything to me...``

“Please, Gerald, don’t make it hard for me. My dad will kill me if he knew that I went out with you...”

“Is that because I’m a Montanez?” he said.

“Yes...it’s entirely because of that...” Kim admitted.

“Kim, what has our names got to do with us?” Gerald said. "With what we feel for each other?"

“Everything...” Kim sighed.

Gerald wanted to respond some more but Kim held a finger to his mouth.

“You said you did not want me to get into trouble...” Kim pleaded.

“I don’t...” Gerald said defeatedly. “But when can I see you again?”

“I don’t know...” Kim said truthfully.

Kim considers it a great gift to have spent this night with him. She just wasn't too sure of what the immediate future holds for them, especially for the two of them...the two people in the world who shouldn't have met again. Enemies are not meant to spend leisure time with each other.

"Kim, I need to see you again!" he said. "I just have to..."

"I'm not sure when..." Kim said, looking out, almost expecting her dad to pop out from the corner.

Taking advantage of Kim's momentary attention lapse, Gerald moved his head closer to kiss her on the mouth.

Kim, however, angles her head away from him. "No, not now...my dad might see us..."

Gerald groaned internally. He was that close.

Suddenly, they hear a rustling sound coming from inside the house.

“Kim...Kim is that you?” said the faint, but definitely worried voice of Andres.

Kim immediately pulls Gerald to a darkly lit corner. She hushes him as he attempts to speak.

“Shhh...my dad might hear you...” Kim remarked. “You must go now, Gerald...”

IN a low voice he speaks, “Not until you tell me when I’m going to see you again...”

“I don’t know...tomorrow?” Kim said.

“Okay fine, but where specifically?” Gerald insisted.

Kim’s mind was still reeling for an answer while all of a sudden, a sliver of light appears on the ground, which was an indication that the front door has been opened.

“Kimberly?” called out Andres. “Is that you?”

Kim’s heart almost burst from the sheer fright. She gave Gerald a rather worried look as she finally steps into the light.

“Yes, it’s me itay!” she said.

“What were you doing there?”

“Uhmmm....I was just...” Kim was at a loss for words.

Andres steps out from the house and immediately plodded to where Kim was.

“Itay...wait...” Kim called out desperately.

Andres sensed movement from the darkly lit side of the house --- the very spot where Gerald was standing.

“Where you with somebody?” Andres sternly casts Kim a accusing glance.

“No...I wasn’t...” Kim denied, tears welling up on the corner of her eyes. She desperately held them back.

But seeing her daughter lightly tremble made Andres more suspicious.

“I thought I heard you talking...” Andres said.

“No, I wasn’t...” she denied.

“I definitely heard voices...”

“It was me, itay...I was talking to myself...”

Kim felt the blood rush to her head as Andres made a few quick steps to where she and Gerald were standing earlier.

If he goes any further, Andres will definitely see Gerald.

Suddenly, from the same dark corner, came somebody she didn’t expect.

“Dave!” said Andres excitedly as he picks up the trusty feline. “Where have you been...I’ve been looking for you...”

Kim felt she could have died right then and there. Her heart was beating so fast, it felt like there was a drum chorus in her chest. It was too close for comfort. She had never been so grateful of Dave her whole life.

“He followed me to the plaza...” said Kim in relief.

The cat purred and meowed, perhaps sensing he had been used as an excuse.

“You have been a naughty boy...” said Andres to Dave, his luscious fur. “Kim, you better come inside now before the early morning mist gives you a cold.”

Kim immediately followed her dad as he steps into their house. She would cast that fateful corner a final glance, hoping she would see Gerald there. But all she saw was darkness, hence, leaving her heart still perturbed. She began to wonder where he was and what happened to him.

She slowly closes the door, perhaps in relief. She comforted herself with the thought that not seeing him there would make him safe. And that is all that matters for now.

.
.
.

“That is why I don’t want you to go out late at night...” said Andres, several minutes later.

“Dad, it was an accident...” Kim said. “Nobody knew it was going to end up in a brawl...”

“With the Montanez’ hooligans around, you’ve almost come to expect that...” sneered Andres, shaking his head.

“Dad, it was Barty who provoked them...”

Andres gave her a sharp look.

“It wasn’t what Kitkat told us...” said Andres.

“Kitkat? Was she here?”

“Yes, she came by a few hours ago and explained everything...” recounted Andres. “She said that the two of you lost hold of each other during the stampede. She was very worried of you.”

“I was okay...” Kim replied. “A little shaken...but otherwise, I’m fine...”

“You have not told me yet...” Andres insisted. “...where had you been?”

That final question, was the very question she had been avoiding all night long. IT was the very question she was dreading to answer because that meant she will have to lie to her dad. Something, she hadn’t done for a long time.

“I got scared...I ran towards the chapel....” Kim said.

“Chapel?” Andres groaned suspiciously.

“Yeah, I thought I’d be safe there...” Kim lied further.

Andres gave her a disbelieving look, but then again, dropped his shoulders and sighed. “It’s a good thing you went there...I didn’t want you getting hurt...”

“I can very well take care of myself, dad...” Kim pleaded. “Besides, I’m already 17, I’m a big girl now...brawls like that don’t scare me anymore...

“It’s not the brawls I’m scared of...” said Andres.

“Then what?”

“The boys...” chagrined Andy. "Boys that might come and steal you away from me at the slightest of a chances..."

Kim swallowed a big lump on . “Itay naman...”

"I'm just joking," said Andres, immediately dismissing his suspicions. He smiled at her meekly. “You better go to sleep, it’s very late already...”

Kim, seeing that Andy seemed to have bought her story, immediately tiptoed towards him and gave him a slight peck on the cheek. “Goodnight, dad...”

“Goodnight sweetheart...” said Andres as he disappeared into his room.

“Dad, by the way...” Kim suddenly remembers. “Did Franco Moreno come by tonight?”

“Woah! Do I hear a hint of interest from my baby?” jeered Andres as he re-emerges from his bedroom.

“No, I was just curious...” Kim said. “I’ve been gone for quite a bit. So, did he wait?”

“No...apparently, he wasn’t able to come...” Andres reported. “Congressman called a few minutes after you left earlier, saying his son had an important engagement to go to...”

“What kind of a guy asks his father to schedule his dates for him?”

“Well, somebody who is very responsible!” explained Andres. “At least, Franco made an effort to have his dad call in for re-schedule. It shows that he truly respects you...”

Kim groaned once more. “Re-schedule? Oh, itay, I really wish you didn’t tell him to come back!”

“Too late for that now!” said Andres. “I asked him to come back tomorrow night! Just in time for the celebrations...”

“Why? What’s happening tomorrow night?” Kim exclaimed rather excitedly.

“Didn’t anybody tell you?” asked Andres. “Congress Moreno sponsored our basketball team’s victory party tomorrow night! There will be a grand sayawan (dance) at the plaza.”

Kim eyed her dad for any bit of concern or trepidation. “Well...?"

"Well what?" asked Andres.

"Could I go to the dance?”

“Of course, baby...” said Andres. “that is why I invited Franco along, to keep you company...”

Kim, mulling over things, snarled at her dad. “Wait, didn't you just say his dad was sponsoring the event? Hence, there is no really need for you to invite him. He could come along as he wants, right?”

“I guess you’re right...” shrugged off Andres. “But the whole point of me inviting him was to make him feel welcome...”

“Welcome for what?”

“Well, who knows...we might soon welcome him to our family too, right?” grinned Andres.

Kim rolled her eyes at him. “Itay, you’re disgusting!”

Andres eventually enters his room laughing his heart out, much to Kim's irritation.

"What kind of party is it going to be?" Kim shouted from the other room.

"Same as the ones we have years before!" Andres shouted back.

That was what Kim wanted to hear.

That night, Andres slept like a log.

.
.
.

Several odd minutes later, Kim was in her bedroom, seated in front of an old dresser, brushing her hair. She looked at her reflected image off the shabby vanity piece. She found herself modestly beautiful.

The dresser...it was her favorite spot. It somehow uplifts her spirit evertyime she was sitting in front of that mirror. It was her mom’s one and only antique piece left; the only thing they had not sold over the years.

Kim insisted to her dad not to sell the vanity, as it was the only remaining piece of memory she had of her mother. It was like her touchstone of her. Kim remembers the time when she was really young and her mom would brush her long hair in front of that mirror.

She easily slips into a fond memory.

“Kimmy, you will surely grow up to be a very beautiful lady...” Kim remembers her mom say. She was almost five then.

“Just like you, inay?” the young Kim would say.

“Oh no, baby! You’ll be much more beautiful than I could ever be...” said Evangeline, who was about 25 at that
time. “You’ll see...once you grow into a dalaga (young lady of age), all kinds of boys will be lining up for you...”

“I don’t like boys, inay...they tease me a lot! Boys are mean...”

“Don’t worry, that will change later on...” her mom replied. “When you grow up, and as boys grow up, they will become more caring and affectionate...they will do anything to win your heart!”

"Win my heart?" asked Kim.

"Yes, it's natural for boys to woo girls like you to become their wives..." Evangeline said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“Does that mean I will soon find my own husband?”

“Yes, sweetie...but I must warn you...” Evangeline said. “You must choose wisely from among your suitors...”

“How will I choose, inay?” asked the baffled Kim.

“Well, you must find somebody who loves you...he must love you more than your father and I love you...”

The precocious little girl would face her mom and in all seriousness and ask, “How will I know if I he loves me or if I love him?”

“Hmmm...let me see how I can explain this.” sighed Evangeline. “Well, you will have this good feeling in your stomach to start...”

“Like the grumbling when you’re hungry?”

Evangeline crouches in front of Kim and in wide-eyed wonderment, explained to her love and its many complexities...

“No, sweetie...it’s different, it feels more like there are butterflies in your stomach, flapping their wings in exhilaration...” explained Evangeline enthusiastically. “Then your heart speeds up when he is near, then you will feel feverish like you have eaten a thousand peppers...”

Seeing her daughter cringe made Evangeline rethink of her metaphors. She continues:

“But it’s a wonderful kind of warmth, baby...more like the sun’s heat on a summer’s day... and the mere touch of his hand will make you feel as if your whole world is spinning and reeling. And if he then kisses you, everything around you will stop and move in slow motion, it is as if time stopped for the two of you and you two alone. Then, the two of you would feel that you can’t breathe without each other like you are each other’s air. Then, you won’t let anybody part you...until eventually both of you will act crazy and deluded...but it wouldn’t matter...because you are at your happiest and it’s the most wonderful thing in the world to be in love...”

Evangeline had to stop herself. SHe was getting carried away. "Basta, Kim, love is magical..."

Kim’s mouth was ajar, as were her eyes, “Really, inay? magical?”

“Yes, like you’re in a dream but then again you’re not dreaming...do you understand me?”

Kim shook her head. How could a 5-year-old fully understand the feeling of love?

“Let me see...if I could make it even more simpler” said Evangeline. “Do you have a favorite thing to dream about?”

“Yes...I like to dream about yellow daisies...” she said.

“Then, imagine how happy you’re going to feel if you are lying in a field with millions of little yellow daisies around you...”

Kim closes her eyes and conjures the image in her mind. Her young mouth curls up into a smile. “I love daisies...”

“See, baby...that is the feeling of true love...it’s magical...”

“Is that how I can tell if I’m in love, inay?”

“Yes, baby, that is how you can tell...” said Evangeline. “If everything you see around you are as colourful and wonderful as those yellow daisies...then you are in love.”

“SO, I must feel that about him and he must feel that about me too?”

“Yes, baby, for love to work, it must be mutual...”

“Is that how you picked dad?”

“Yes, sweetie...” said Evangeline, looking at her daughter longingly.

But deep in her heart, Evangeline was aching. She felt like a fraud for lying to Kim openly. She wasn't happily in love at all.

However, for her daughter’s sake, she must create an illusion that all is well within their family and that her marriage was ideal. But such wasn’t the case. Their family situation was not the least bit magical as she might have put it to be.

Evangeline’s marriage to Andres was a marriage of convenience. Her family married her off to him in exchange for the feudal protection from the Capulongs. But Evangeline knew Andres didn’t love her fully...or if hed ever did at all. She knew his heart belonged to someone else. He loved Eloisa, his enemy’s wife.

Evangeline knew that coming in, yet despite of that, she married him. She was much of a fool to believe he would change...that he would love her in return. Though Evangeline loved him in every shape and form, she never really felt that he loved her as dearly as she did him. She was delusional as well as stupid, the consummate romantic.

“Inay, what if I really love a boy and he doesn’t love me back?” asked Kim. “or if he loves me but then I don’t love him back...”

“That won’t work sweetie...it`s not true love if it was like that!” explained Evangeline.

“Why?”

“Because your true love is like half of your soul. Until you find him, you can never be whole...”

“But how will I find him? “ Kim asked.

“You shouldn’t come out looking for him, sweetie. Somewhere,somehow...you will just find each other...”

“What if I don’t find him or if he doesn’t find me...”

“Trust me, baby...” Evangeline reassured her. “HE will find you...”

Kim nodded her young head as if she understood everything Evangeline said.

“Don’t worry, baby...you’ll soon understand everything that I had said, ” said her mom. “However, you still have a long way to go, Kimmy. You are still young."

"I want to stay a young girl forever..." Kim said vehemently.

"No, you can't Kim. Mommy can't take care of you forever. Soon, you will meet a boy you will love too. But, it is important that you remember this. You will meet many strangers along the way...some you might think are your true love but all they are...are frogs posing as princes. So you really have to be very careful to whom you give your heart away, understood?”

Kim bobbed her head once more. IT was as if she understood fully what her mother meant. Perhaps, the sheer power of their maternal love and connection for each other was enough to convey the message Evangeline was trying to get across to her daughter.

“Enough of this love business, you better get to bed...” said Evangeline as she kissed her daughter on the head. “Good night, my baby...”

“Good night, inay...” replied Kim in hushed breath.

That night Kim dreamt of a million yellow daisies.
.
.
.

Kim was unceremoniously cut off from her wistful recollection as she hears a light tap on her bedroom window.

She jumps off her seat, scared and confused. She moved slowly to the window as the knocks become more hurried.

Then she hears her name.

“Kim, kim...open the window...it’s me...” said the voice.

The voice sounded too familiar for her. Without hesitation, she opens the window.

“I thought you’ve gone home...” she said excitedly.

“You haven’t told me yet when it was you’re going to see me again...” said Gerald, who is now perched dangerously on an old mango branch, hanging at the level of her bedroom window.

“How did you manage to climb this high?”

“I’m good at climbing...” he said gingerly.

Gerald then jumps over to the her window, hanging precariously on her window sill.

“What are you doing?” Kim said nervously.

“I’m coming in, can’t you see?” Gerald said as he swung his leg over the banister. “A little help please...”

“No, you can’t come in!” panicked Kim. “My dad might hear you...he’ll kill you if he finds you here.”

“No, he won’t...” dismissed Gerald. “Come on, I won’t stay long...”

“Promise?”

“Only if you tell me when you’re going to see me again...” said Gerald.

“You are very persistent!” Kim commented as she helped him climb over to her second floor room.

“Yes, I am...it’s one of my many likable qualities...” he chuckled.

At that point, he was standing in the middle of her room.
Gerald took a moment to visually assess her living quarters. Even if they lived in a old, tattered house, Kim's room was exceptionally neat and clean. Gerald was pleasantly surprised. He likened it to finding a shiny metal in a dumpster. He really liked what he saw. He could live there.

“Nice room...” he said.

“Thanks...” Kim said shyly. Her heart was beating wildly as Gerald beagn to pace the her expansive bedroom. His presence was wonderfully unnerving.

“Okay...so when is it?”

“Tomorrow...?” Kim said, thinking of the dance, and how lonely she would be in the company of Franco. She was surprised of how easy it was for her to come up with a solid plan.

“Okay...where? At the plaza?”

“Yes. But this time, in our own plaza...our basketball team will have a victory party there tomorrow night, the whole district I will attend.”

“You mean to say, you want me to come in the belly of the beast...just to see you?” Gerald exclaimed.

“Why, are you afraid of my immediate family?”

“Have you seen your cousin Barty?” Gerald said. “The guy’s a monster!”

“So, in that case...that will be it...” said Kim, folding her arms. “You can go now...”

Gerald groaned.

“Wait, I’m not a afraid of them...if it means death to see you again, then I will willingly do so...” Gerald replied.

Somehow, she knew he would say that. The thought made Kim smile. “You will not die, silly...nobody will hurt you there.”

“You tend to forget that I’m a Montanez!”

Kim shook her head, “Nobody will hurt you there because nobody will recognize you..."

"You want me to come in with a disguise?" Gerald asked.

"To some degree yes..." Kim answered. "The party tomorrow ...it’s going to be a masquerade party.”

Gerald smiled at her. He thought of himself crazy and stupid if he was to go with her plan.

At that singular moment, Kim is feeling the same thing. She must be out of her mind to invite him to the exclusive Capulong gathering!

But that was the very same craziness...non-sensical...illogical sort of thinking Kim's mom was telling her aboout love.

Right now, all that Kim and Gerald sees is a world full of yellow-coloured daisies.

Full of possibilities...full of magic...