MISS COLORFUL - Chapter 1

Seven Incarnations
IT was another bright morning of December, seven days before Christmas, if I remembered it correctly.

Kimberly David whistled her way into our glorious office, the place she fondly calls...a sanctuary of all things beautiful. Kim considers herself very lucky indeed to be able to work in an environment where she can have all the creative input that she would ever need, considering how tough the times were financially these days. There are a lot more people out there who can’t afford to be in a job where all they have to worry about is how to be creative.

Kim breathed a sigh as she entered Blushing Blossoms, the flower and gift shop she, Joross and I built. IT had only been three years since we put up our tiny business venture, and now our sales has really been, for lack of a better word, blooming.

“Haloooo!!!” Kim announced when she entered the shop. “How is everybody?”

She then stopped at her tracks. The sight before her made Kim shiver in fright. Her eyes were about to pop out of their sockets.

I knew right then and there that she was going to have a meltdown seeing the present state of the store.

“Wh...where have all the flowers gone?” Kim said, her lips trembling.

Joross and I looked at each other. Our knee-jerk reaction was to look immediately at her dress. Kim was wearing a stylish pink shirt over white jeans. She also had pink barrettes on making her look fourteen years old. Thank God!

“Pink?” Joross mumbled. “What does it mean?”

“I don’t know,” I whispered back. “She never wore pink before...”

“Pink makes people happy right?” Joross nervously added.

Kim took off her obtrusive, wire-rimmed glasses. She then turned her attention to us. She caught us almost cowering down on the main counter.

“Hey, you two!” Kim bellowed. “What the heck happened here?”

“Hi Kim...” I greeted her. “Gosh, you’re really early today...”

“How are you doing today, Kim?” Joross said trivially. I
can see that his hands were shaking.

Kim obviously didn’t budge.

“Sasha, what’s the meaning of this?” Kim said. “Did we get robbed last night?”

“No, Kim...” said Joross. “Somebody bought all of our flowers...”

“All of them?” Kim asked. “Who in the hell would buy all the bloody flowers in a flowershop?”

“Obviously...somebody rich,” I sarcastically added.

“It was a guy...a Mr. Garcia...” Joross explained. “He cleaned us out...apparently.”

Suddenly, Kim’s face contorted. Then, she screamed. The sound of her wailing was so piercing it almost broke our vases. Joross and I had to cover our ears or else our ear drums would burst.

“Kimmy, what’s the big ticket?” I dared ask afterwards.

“What am I going to do now?” she said, half-crying.

“Go home?” Joross answered.

Kim gave him a sordid look. “Joross, why did you have to give him everything we had? What if Gerald calls in an order. What will I give him now?”

“Why not yourself?!” said Joross with a laugh. “Considering how obsessive you are with him, I am surprised you haven’t offered yourself yet...I can see you wrapping yourself in nothing but a red ribbon!”

Joross remarks elicited a disgusted look from Kim. She placed her hand over hips and blew off some steam.

“Eeewww!” said Kim. “Joross, you are so kadiri. I am so not like that! Gerald is not like that either...he won’t take advantage of me! And don’t you dare pass off your fantasies as his either! My Gerald is the perfect gentleman!”

“My Gerald?” I said, rolling my eyes. “Since when did he become yours?”

“Isa ka pa!” Kim said exhaustively. “Tell me, what am I going to do now, Sashie? What if he calls another flower shop instead? That will be the end of my life as I know it! He will no longer avail of my services!”

Drama Queen. That is so typical of Kimchay. I wouldn’t be
surprised if she cries next. Joross and I once again met in our gazes. He smiled back at me. He seemed to be reading what's on my mind.

I moved in closer and placed a hand over her shoulders. “Sis, do you think we will let your love life go down the drain, of course not?”

“You mean you have a solution?”

“Joross and I...already thought of you and...your Gerald,” I replied cheekily.

“What do you mean?” Kim said, stifling a sob.

“Well, we knew that there is a big chance that our most valued customer will most likely be ordering something from us this week...so, we thought of reserving some roses in our backroom chiller!” I revealed to her.

Kim’s face suddenly lit up.

“Do...do you mean...” Kim rambled.

I nodded. All of a sudden, she lunged at me and hugged me tightly. “Sasha, thank you! You guys are the greatest friends ever! Akala ko my life will be over...I wouldn’t know what I’ll do if he loses his trust on me!”

“Kimchay, that’s over acting already...” I reminded her.

“Really? ” Kim said. “Sorry, I didn’t realize I’ve been a bit...”

“Overdramatic?” I finished her sentence for her. “Not really, friend. Just a teeny bit over...”

“NO! It was this much!” Joross indicated using the breadth of his widespread arms. He further irked her by imitating her smushed-up face.

“Joross, ha! You’re being mean na!” Kim said then pouting her lips.

Realizing by now that she had been a tad overboard, Kim quickly composed herself. She breathed a sigh and slowly entered the backroom storage where the remaining flowers were.

I looked at Joross, who could not help himself from snickering.

“See, I told she was going to flip out!” I commented.

“It’s a good thing the worst is over...” Joross said.

I hope what he said was true. Knowing Kimberly all my life, being with her is like having a constant supply of drama and adventures. She is so larger than life, that everything around her seems to spin out of control...all the time.

“What does pink signify?” Joross asked himself.

“Maybe pink really is a good color, after all bubble gum is pink!” I answered. “And bubble gum makes people happy...”

“And sticky...” Joross glumly added. “Wait...not all bubblegums are pink...”

“Even then, pink is still associated with bubblegum, you can’t change that!”

“Says who? Is there a council of bubble gum makers around the world making a consensus that all bubblegums should be colored pink?”

“NO! There isn’t! There is no need for that. IT’s like already a rule or something...” I answered.

“Rule? Ha!” mocked Joross. “It’s so not a rule!”

“How can you argue with me when you know that every kid around the world knows that bubblegums are pink!”

That is so typical of me and Joross, folks. Nienty percent of the time we argue. Our days won’t be complete without us driving each other nuts. Don’t get me wrong I love the guy. It’s just that he rubs me the wrong way most of the time.

“Double mint is green. Juicy fruit is white. Mentos comes in different colors!” Joross challenged some more.

“Mentos is not even a true gum!” I yelled back.

“Not a true gum?” Joross answered sarcastically. “Is there a qualification now for being a gum? Like...Oh, you’re not chewy enough...ooohh, you have a crunchy covering...hence, you’re not a true gum!”

“Don’t you dare be a wiseass in front of me!” I shrieked.

“Wiseass? Me? And who are you supposed to be...supreme bubblegum judge?” Joross retaliated.

Little did we notice Kim has emerged from the back room. ON her hand is our vase with the sole bouquet left. I was about to come up with a smarter rebuttal but seeing Kim’s weird expression, I decided to shut up.

“Hey, what are you guys arguing about?” said Kim, securing the position of the vase on the display area.

“Uhhh...nothing much!” I said.

“It sure doesn’t sound like nothing...” Kim said with raised eyebrows.

“Kim, it’s nothing, just our usual petty fight...” Joross said.

“So, what is this petty fight about?”

I felt it was time to come clean. I shrugged my shoulders and looked at Kim.

“Kim, why are you wearing pink?” I asked bluntly.

“Well...funny that you asked.” Kim rolled her eyes. “I was feeling a bit bubbly today...”

“See...” I said to Joross, making a face at him. “I told you...pink means bubblegum!”

“She said...bubbly...not bubble gum.” Joross mumbled.

“It’s the same thing...” I answered.

“NO, it’s not!” he responded.

“Enough!” Kim shouted. “Can’t you two not argue for one second!”

“Okay, okay...” I retreated. “There is a way to settle this...”

“What?” Joross asked pensively.

“We shall let Kim decide who is correct...”

“Okay, game!” Kim said. “What is the question?”

“When you think of pink, what is the first thing that enters your mind?!”

“Bubble gum!” Kim answered immediately.

Joross’ face fell. He knew he was defeated. It was time for him to face consequence.

“What do you have to say for yourself, Joross?” I snickered.

“Okay, okay you won...”

“And what do you have to do now?”

Kim was almost in tears. She could not help herself from laughing out loud. Joross walked in front of me. He took out his wallet and gave me a crisp one hundred peso bill.

“Good...good...what do you have to do next?” I egged him on.

“Do I really have to do it?” Joross begged.

“It’s a deal...we made a bet, you lost...now suffer the consequences, you wuss!”

“Come on, Joross!” Kim bantered.

Joross, red in the face, placed his hands on his hips. Then, he recited a cheer together with some cheerful calisthenics.

“Sasha, Sasha she’s so fierce!” Joross yelled lamely. “Nobody can beat her, not ever her peers! So, what do we do, we lowly scum; praise and worship her mighty bum!”

“You gotta do it with feelings, Joross!” I demanded.

“Come on! Do it one more time, Jo!” Kim cheered.

Joross made a face at me, signifying that he had enough of my antics. Kim was clapping her hands in glee.

At that particular time, the phone rang. Kim raced towards our puny office to answer it. From outside we can hear her speak. Joross looked at me knowingly. I kind of knew what he was thinking too. Seeing how Kim gleamed over the phone, we knew it was Mr. Too-Good-To-Be-True Lagdameo calling her.

“Yes! Yes, I do...In fact it’s ready for you!” we overheard Kim excitedly say on the phone. “Right now? Uhmmm...maybe thirty minutes. I still have to wrap the chocolates! Okay, I’ll bring it over. Really? I’m fine, thanks! Okay...See you!”

Joross and I groaned. Times like these, we really pity her.

“Guys, guess what?” Kim said as she ran out of the office.

“What?” I said lazily.

“He asked me how I was!” Kim blurted out in pure joy.

“So...?” Joross asked.

“HE never asked me that before!” said Kim. “That means he was thinking about me!”

“... and he said that after he ordered flowers?” Joross raised an eyebrow.

“Yes, but he clearly asked how my day was going!” Kim boasted.

Joross let out a full blast laugh which somewhat annoyed Kim. I myself was struggling to keep my snickers down to a non-discernible giggle.

“What’s your problem, Joross?” Kim asked derisively.

“Ask Sasha!” Joross said, diverting Kim’s attention to me.

Kim turned and looked at me innocently. I so love how naive this girl was. IF I could just knock some senses into her.

“Kimchay, we’re good friends, right?” I asked succinctly. I was about to dampen her spirits.

“Yes, best of friends, since birth...” she answered.

“And since we’re friends,” I replied. “I think it is my right to tell you how stupidly you’ve been behaving right?”

Kim absent-mindedly nodded.

“Kimmy, are you listening to me?” I grunted. “Or are you thinking about him again?”

“Sorry, sis, I was just daydreaming...”

“Kim, I’ve just called you stupid...”

“Why did you do that?” Kim asked.

“Kimmy, how can he be thinking of you when he is ordering flowers for another girl?” I said, shaking her shoulders.

“OH no, you’re wrong. He didn’t say they were for another girl. All he said was to bring him flowers and chocolates today...”

“And who do you think they were for? YOU?!” I countered blatantly.

“Why not? He already asked me how I was?” Kim said. “Maybe, he realized that he finally likes me...I sensed a bit of excitement in his voice...he seemed really thrilled in meeting me.”

Joross bursts out into laughter once more. Kim was still as clueless as can be. I wanted to hug her.

“What?” Kim said, her voice was a bit frustrated. “What did I do wrong?”

“Oh, Kimmy...” I said with a big sigh. “When will you ever learn?”

“I swear...he sounded more optimistic than usual!”

“HE’S JUST NOT THAT IN TO YOU!” Joross and I chorused.

Kim’s lips trembled. Tears started to fall from her eyes.

“IT’s not true!” she exclaimed. “He likes me!”

(I really give her props for her will power!)

“Kimmy, we just don’t want you to get hurt...” I added.

“Why would I get hurt?” Kim answered.

I can see Joross about to explode. He’s had enough of her nonsense too.

“He’s just using you!” Joross blurted out before he could hold it back.

Kim’s eyes widened. She glowered at him. “What makes you say that, huh?”

Joross was immediately taken aback by Kim’s poisonous looks. “Sorry, Kim, I didn’t mean to say that!”

“It sounded like you meant it...” Kim’s eyes bore holes into Joross’ body.

“No, no Kim...I didn’t mean it...I swear...”

“Never mind, besides, I am confident My Gerald would never do that to me...he is really a gentleman once you get to know him!” Kim reasoned.

“Kimmy...” I mumbled.

“You, guys, never even got to meet him!” Kim shrieked.

I would have said, “I don’t have to meet him to know that he is a lecher and a user!” I didn’t have the heart to say it. In as much as I personally believe in being cruel to be kind, not with Kim. She is somewhat ...fragile.

“So...Who wants to go with me to La Mancha?” Kim asked. “Here’s your chance to meet my beloved soul mate!”

Joross and I looked at each other.

“I’ve got work to do...” Joross reasoned.

“Work? We don’t even have flowers!” Kim pointed out.

“I had to go to Divisoria and purchase some silk ribbons...” Joross answered.

“How about you, Sash?” Kim asked me.

“Joross, asked me to be go with him!” I blurted out almost immediately.

Joross gave me a telling look. I looked back at him grimly. I was kind of daring him to deny it.

“Oh, okay...” Kim said, shrugging her shoulders. “I’ll go by myself then...”

“Are you sure you’re going to be okay?” I dared ask.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine...” Kim replied. Then, she carried her flowers back into the backroom to give them another spray of water.

Joross and I let out a big sigh of relief as she headed out of the room.

“I so didn’t want to be a part of that!” I mumbled.

“So did I!” Joross said with a wink. “I saved your this time!”

I knew what he meant. I took out his one hundred dollar bill from my wallet and gave it back to him.

“Quits?” he said.

I nodded.

“Jeez, what does Kimmy see in that guy?” Joross asked.

“I don’t know, Joross...I don’t know...” I answered.

.
.
.

In fact, it was the one question I really have no answer for. In as much as I know Kimmy inside and out...the answer to that question had evaded me to this day. Who knew what she sees in him...nobody knows for sure but Kim alone. The real answer lies in the deepest recesses of her heart. IT was for hers to keep.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
next chap please --->

P.S.

(UNEDITED...I'll edit this tomorrow. This is more of an intro still...Gerald will be revealed in the next chapter.) Brief history: This story starts on Day I of KIm's seven days in TSMITW. Gerald Garcia bought all the flowers to give to Kim.
.
.
.