THE SADDEST MAN IN THE WORLD - Finale

Seven Incarnations
.
.
.
.
.

Kim ran as fast as she could. She almost slipped as she went down the stairs but not even a broken neck can stop her from seeing him. She sprinted as fast as her thin legs could carry her. She even lunged over a couch just to get to the garden where they were waiting.

She huffed and puffed by the time she reached the outdoor patio. From there she could see them both. For a moment, Kim looked wistfully at the pair. As perfect as their duo was, she longed to be the third member of their family. She wanted to be with them...forever!

Thomas turned around and saw her. The little boy ran immediately at her shouting, “Mommy Kim!”

Kim ran towards him and met him in a warm embrace. He was so forceful in his run that Kim fell down hugging him, laughing...like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Thomas couldn’t help himself and gave Kim a wet kiss on the cheeks. Kim giggled as Thomas rustled his nose on her cheek.

Gerald, meanwhile, was running after him. He almost had to pull Thomas away and pick Kim up.

“Thomas, that’s enough...” said Gerald. “It’s daddy’s turn!”

Kim gave him an eyeful.

Now that he got rid of the boy, it was indeed his turn to hug her. And he did so, tightly...and it almost literally took Kim’s breath away.

“I miss you...” Gerald said in a whisper.

“But...I’ve only been gone a few hours...”said Kim.

“A few hours without you...is an eternity...” answered Gerald.

Gerald moved closer for a kiss, but Kim was wary of the piercing set of eyes watching them from behind.

“My parents....” Kim yelped.

Gerald groaned slightly, just in time to hear Charlie feign a dry cough.

“Oh...” Gerald said in shock. “I’m sorry sir...I was just excited to see your daughter...” His voice was trailing off at the end. Seeing Charlie made Gerald’s heart skip a beat.

Uncomfortable silence. Charlie was a picture of grim. Josie was grinning mischievously.

“Mom, Dad...this is Gerald Garcia...” said Kim.

Charlie flashed Gerald a really intense look. IT wasn’t so much of despise but more of a natural father reaction to his daughter’s boyfriend.

Gerald immediately offered his hand first to Charlie, who gripped it much more sternly than he could. Then, Josie excitedly hugged Gerald, which caught him unprepared. He responded by giving her a warm squeeze too.

Gerald then felt something tug his shirt.

“Oh, I almost forgot...Mr. and Mrs. Tuazon, this is my son, Thomas!” said the very tense Gerald.

Thomas excitedly held out his hand. His face was so adorable, Gerald almost swore that he saw Charlie’s frown turn slightly to a smile.

“How are you, young fellow!” said Mrs. Tuazon, shaking Thomas’ hand.

“I’m fine, thank you...” Thomas answered confidently. He then smiled at the direction of Lilly.

“Hi Thomas!” said Lilly with a wave.

“Hi Lilly, “ replied Thomas shyly.

“You must be hungry...” said Charlie to Thomas, much to everyone’s surprise. “We were about to eat our breakfast...”

Thomas nodded then he readily clasped Charlie’s hand.

“Are you my Lolo already?” asked Charlie, looking up innocently at the imposing elder.

Charlie’s face was priceless. IT was a picture of shock and confusion.

“Not yet...” Charlie said briefly, turning abruptly towards the direction of Kim and Gerald.

Gerald and the rest nervously laughed.

“Why not? Mommy and daddy are married, why not?” Thomas tattled.

There was a collective gasp from the group.

“Thomas!” Gerald exclaimed.

Another uncomfortable silence ensued.

Charlie let out a big sigh then he looked at Thomas.

“Thomas, what makes you think they are married?” pried Charlie.

“Because Daddy gave mommy a ring!” said Thomas.

Kim bit her knuckle in fright. Gerald`s palm started to sweat.

Fortunately, Charlie`s eyes lit up in glee!

“You are one very precocious boy!” exclaimed Charlie. “It takes more than a ring to marry people!”

“IT was what Lilly said...” reasoned Thomas. “She said if a boy gives a girl a ring, they are already married.”

“Lilly? No wonder!” Charlie bellowed a heavy laugh (much like Santa Claus!). “You shouldn’t believe everything that comes out from that girl’s mouth. She likes to make up stories...”

Lilly immediately made a face at her dad and immediately stomped her way back to the house.

Charlie’s frown finally turned to that of delight as he held hands with the little boy, ushering him excitedly inside the house.

The three of them remaining heard them talk.

“What would you like to eat for breakfast, Thomas?” asked Charlie.

“Do you have hotdogs, Lolo?” said Thomas.

“I am much too young to be Lolo, Thomas...” answered Charlie. “Call me Daddy Senior...”

“Daddy Senior? I like it!” said Thomas.

Kim made a face to her mom.

“Don’t worry about him, anak...” said Josie. “I’ll take care of him...I’ll tell him everything you told me...”

“Thanks mom!” said Kim.

“Gerald, don’t be afraid of my husband,” Josie said as she placed a hand on Gerald’s arm. “ He may look tough but he’s really a softy...He’s just a bit overprotective of his girls. Don’t worry, it looks like he’s warming up to Thomas like a charm. ”

“It’s a good thing I brought Thomas then...” Gerald said with a sigh of relief.

“He always wanted to have a son...” recalled Josie. “Let him enjoy Thomas for a bit...”

“That is why Lilly is a bit tomboyish...”explained Kim. “He’s treating her more like a son than a daughter...”

“Fortunately, he didn’t do that to you...” said Gerald candidly, flashing Kim a naughty grin.

“Hey! I’m all girl through and through...” cried Kim, boxing Gerald on his arm.

“I think I’ll leave you two alone,” said Josie as she was feeling out of place. “I think you guys need to talk things over...”

Kim and Gerald waited for the Josie to enter the house before they said their piece.

“Sorry!” they said in unison.

“You first...” Kim said.

“Kim, why did you leave?” asked Gerald.

Kim heaved out a sigh.

“Because I did something bad...” said Kim, lowering her head.

Gerald lifted her chin to let her eyes meet his.

“And by bad, you mean telling Matthew that he was Thomas’ dad?” replied Gerald.

Kim’s eyes widened.

“You knew?!”

“He came to the house this morning and explained everything...” Gerald answered. “I knew then why you had to leave...”

“Did he tell you that he threatened me not to see you anymore?” added Kim.

“That he neglected to say...”

“Matt said you were just going to hurt me like you did Anna...” answered Kim. “He said if I didn’t stay away from you, he’ll take Thomas away!”

Gerald hugged Kim. She was so guilt-ridden.

“Hush now, baby...” Gerald calmed her down. “Let’s just say, Matt’s not going to bother us anymore...”

“But what about Thomas? He’s got every right to take him...” said Kim.

“NO, he doesn’t...” Gerald answered. “Thomas isn’t our child. Just before we got married, Anna had a brief affair with her college professor. When she got pregnant, everyone assumed Thomas was either Matt’s or my son. TO be sure, we had a DNA test done. The results showed that neither one of us was the father...”

“She had three lovers at the same time?” Kim exclaimed.

Gerald had to chuckle at the naivete Kim was showing. He then nodded his head in response.

“That is just how Anna is...” said Gerald. “She had this almost irrepressible need to be loved. And she'll seek anywhere for it. Who knows how many lovers she had? What we knew for certain was Carl Wong was the father, not Matt. I eventually talked to Carl Wong upon Anna’s death and he readily gave up Thomas for adoption to me.”

Kim was flabbergasted by what Gerald had to say. She was almost ashamed with herself for having left so brashly.

“I’m so sorry...” Kim repeated.

“Don’t be...we have done nothing wrong but love each other!” said Gerald.

“It was so foolish of me to betray you...” cried Kim. “I almost cost you Thomas!”

Gerald hugged her reassuringly.

“Foolish we all are, Kim...” answered Gerald. “Because, you see, it’s partly my fault too. If I had told you everything about Thomas right away, then we would not have gone to this point.”

“No, it’s my fault...” Kim said dejectedly.

“It’s no longer important who's fault it is, honey...” said Gerald. “What is important now is that no one is ever going to take you or Thomas away from me. I’ll make sure of that!”

“Promise?” said Kim, finally feeling assured.

“When did I break a promise?” said Gerald with glee.

“Not one yet..." said Kim smiling. "I remember, when we started all these you said you’ll make us both happy...”

“And...are you?” asked Gerald. "I know I am..."

Kim moved closer and wrapped her arms around him, pressing her head to his chest.

“What is this?” said Gerald, referring to the hug.

“Me...being happy...” she said.

Gerald smiled and hugged her back. He kissed her on the head.

“Kim, don’t ever forget that I love you...”

“No, I won’t...never will...” said Kim. “If ten thousand I love you’s is not enough for one girl, I don’t know what is...”

“Just promise me, Kim...” said Gerald with a wistful sigh. “that you’ll never run away from me again...”

“NO, I won’t promise that...” said Kim so suddenly.
Gerald was readily taken aback.

“Why?”

“Because I like it when you come desperately looking for me...” said Kim with a smile. “I like the thought that even if I’m halfway around the world, I know in my heart you’d still find me...”

“Is that right?” said Gerald with a wry smile. “Come here, have I said how adorable you are?”

Kim immediately settled herself back in his embrace. “No, but you can say it ten thousand times maybe I’ll believe it...”

“You’re adorable, adorable, adorable, adorable...” recited Gerald.

“Nope, I still don’t believe it!” said Kim with a laugh.

Gerald suddenly grew serious. He held both of Kim’s hands on his. HE looked straight into her eyes...unflinching.

“What?” Kim asked.

“I’m going to ask you this...only once...” said Gerald.

Kim’s heart thudded. She looked straight into Gerald piercing gaze.

“What is it...you’re making me nervous...” said Kim candidly.

Gerald knelt in one knee. “Kimberly Tuazon...I love you with all of my heart and all of my soul...will you...”

“Wait!” Kim said. “Are you proposing?”

“I’m on my knees...holding your hand...what else could I be doing?” grunted Gerald.

“It’s just that...” Kim muttered.

Kim turned around and saw her family members looking excitedly through the window. They have a look of nervous anticipation on their faces.

“Kim, what’s wrong?” said Gerald.

“I don’t know...” said Kim. “It doesn’t seem to be you...”

Gerald immediately stood up and held Kim’s hands close to his heart. Kim felt how nervous he was.

“Why?” said Gerald.

“It’s just that, honestly, I just didn’t expect you to propose right away. I’ve expected much from you...” said Kim. “You’re so over the top with these things...that I’ve come to expect that...”

“Is that right?” Gerald said, looking forlorn.

“Hey, what’s wrong? Get on with it!” shouted Charlie from inside the house.

Kim then chided the down-throdden Gerald.

“No, no...go ahead...propose now!” said Kim. “Sorry, if interrupted you and said something wrong...I was just playing with you...”

“So, you want the grand proposal, huh?” said Gerald glumly.

“No...go ahead....kneel now...I promise I’ll act surprise...” said Kim.

Gerald knelt down in front of her. But then, he stood up once more.

“Nope, you're right! it just doesn’t seem right!” said Gerald, his eyes glinting.

“No, it doesn’t...” Kim shrugged her shoulders, finally admitting what she felt.

“Let me see if I can do something about it...” said Gerald brightly.

Kim’s eyes widened. Gerald all of a sudden pulled out his cellphone. He dialled a number. Kim wondered who it was that he was calling. Does he have another thing planned up his sleeve?

“Gerald, I was just kidding...” said Kim. “Who are you calling?”

Gerald didn’t answer.

“Hello? Audrey? Yes...on to Plan B...” said Gerald to the mysterious caller. “Tell them to start now...”

“Plan B?”

“You said you wanted the grand proposal?” asked Gerald.

“Yes I did...but who’s Audrey? Who’s them?”

“Audrey’s my social secretary,” answered Gerald absent-mindedly. He seemed to be looking out into the air, to a spot amongst the clouds.

Suddenly, Kim heard a slight buzzing from the east. There, she saw a low flying helicopter slowly coming towards them. It then circled their house a couple times.

Kim's jaw was ajar the moment she saw the chopper. It was just too good to be true. Now, she really got her wish. She was indeed so pleasantly surprised.

“Wait here...” Gerald said.

"IS there more?"

"Of course!" Gerald replied.

He then rushed towards the gate and opened it. Kim’s eyes widened as a full marching band simultaneously blasted the Corr’s “What Can I Do?”

They also held out a very large sign that said...PLEASE MARRY THE POOR GUY !!!(So we can stop playing this song...)

Then, Kim saw the helicopter swoop down and empty unto them...millions of pink and white rose petals.

Kim’s mouth dropped once more. This is what she has come to expect from the Gerald she knew. It was not the whole scale of the thing, but with the idea that he can surprise her...make her feel special.

Gerald then went back to Kim’s side.

“How’s that?” he said.

“Ge, I don’t know what to say...” said Kim, overwhelmed by all of it. "How did you manage to plan all that in so short a time?"

“See, Kim, I can make miracles happen...” said Gerald. “All you have to do now is say...YES!”

Kim’s eyes watered as pink and white petals fell down from the sky. It was magical. She never felt more precious in her life. Only now...maybe, fairy tale endings really do happen to people like her.

“So, what you think?” said Gerald. “Was it grand enough for you?”

“Well, it’s not quite done yet, you have to kneel down first, right?” said Kim.

“OH yes, I almost forgot that...” said Gerald. He then pulled out a small box from his pocket.

Gerald then knelt on the petal-laden ground and slowly held Kim’s hand. He then revealed the biggest, most sparkling diamond engagement ring Kim has ever seen.

“Kimberly Tuazon, I have no more words to say and no more grand gestures to do...except to love you...and spend the rest of my life with you...forever. Kim, will you ‘please’ marry me? ”

Kim smiled. She slowly touched his face with her free hand. She held her breath and slowly sealed her future.

“Yes, I will...”she said ever so softly.

Gerald, upon hearing her sweet confirmation, immediately embraced her and kissed her deeply on the lips.

The whole household exploded. Thomas and Lilly ran outside to greet them. Her mom and dad hugged the both of them.

"Now, is it okay to call you mommy?" asked Thomas.

"YES!" chorused the new family of six.

"Yeeheey! I finally have a mommy!" said Thomas, who is now jumping up and down in utter glee.

Tears from Kim’s eyes flowed like crazy as she looked at the man she was about to marry and his little boy. They are her family now. Finally, after all those heart-breaking years, she felt truly complete. One can say Kim was at her happiest. She can now truly say, she is in perfect bliss.

The marching band, as if on cue, played "Kiss Me..."

Gerald gave Kim a naughty look.

"Shall we?" said Gerald.

"We don't want to disappoint them, do we?" Kim answered.

"Tell me about it!" Gerald said as he swooped her down and planted her a deep, searing kiss on the lips.

The sweet gesture made everyone witnessing it, giddy...

Charlie, in one swooping motion, took Josie in his arms and kissed her passionately.

Meanwhile, Thomas placed a loving arm around Lilly.

"Don't even think about it!" warned Lilly. "I'm officially your aunt now!"

Thomas suddenly withdrew his arm and scratched his head.

.
.
.
.
.

IT was truly Kim’s dream come true...the day they were finally married, some odd months later. She wistfully looked back,as she lay in his arms...warm, happy, contented...

She simply marvelled at how it took the saddest man in the world to give her what she needed the most...Love...Contentment...Happiness...

.
.
.

Suddenly, Kim's musing was cut off by a knock on the door.

"Mom, sorry to bother you...but little David just won't stop crying!" complained Thomas.

Gerald groaned beside her.

"Honey, just sleep. I'll get it..." said Kim to the sleepy Gerald. She slowly got up and made her way to the nursery beside their bedroom.

"Thanks for watching him, Tommy!" said Kim. "You've been a good brother!"

"Next time... when you guys make another one..." said Thomas. "Make sure it doesn't scream so loud..."

HE then plodded out of the room.

Kim smiled as she lovingly wrapped the new baby in her warm embrace and sang him his favorite lullaby.

It was another thing that Gerald gave her...something that meant to Kim the most...

A family...

.
.
.
.

THE END