THE SADDEST MAN IN THE WORLD - Chapter Thirteen

Seven Incarnations
CHAPTER THIRTEEN - Todo na to.

(Disclaimer: Some scenes may not be suitable for younger audience...)
.
.
.
.
.

As Kim suggested, Gerald led her to the basement to meet his ex-wife. Kim felt her nerves creep up on her.

“By the way, tomorrow, Thomas and I had to attend a wedding. He is going to be the ring-bearer in my friend Jake’s wedding...” Gerald said, breaking of the nervous silence.

“Tommy, a ring-bearer?” Kim exclaimed. “Oh, he is going to look really cute for sure!”

“Like his dad?” Gerald replied, winking suggestively at her.

Kim groaned.

“What will Lilly and I do whole the day?” Kim asked.

“Just spend the afternoon anyway you like. By the time Thomas and I will be back, it will probably be late in the afternoon already. Why don’t we all just go to mass in the evening and have Christmas dinner after?”

Kim smiled as he revealed his plans for the next day. She found it really comforting to have him organize the day ahead for her. She felt contented letting him do the leading, as any strong man should.

As she was walking with him, Kim started analyzing the merits of her latest plan. She heaved a heavy sigh. Imagine, meeting your soon-to-be-boyfriend’s ex-wife? That was something no sane person should ever do. Why, you ask? First, you will get to see who you measure up with. From what Kim had heard, Gerald’s ex-wife was a really lovely girl. Secondly, you will get to see face-to-face his reaction towards her. What if you will see him still longing for her? What will you do? Lastly, you will get to see the intimate moments between them. That alone can tear emotions and relationships apart. Kim was starting to regret her decision.

Kim thought she couldn’t get any crazier than this. Yes, she probably was mentally unstable right now. Normally, Kim prides herself in giving really sound judgement all the time. But, whenever she was with him, especially in the last few days...her mind goes berserk each time.

But why was she doing it then? Kim had no concrete answer. Curiosity? Perhaps...But what Kim knew was that in the next few minutes, she was going to submit herself into an unbelievable amount of emotional pain and anguish. Maybe she was a masochist after all!

“Are you sure that you want to do this?” Gerald warned her once more.

Kim nodded readily. Her gut feel told her that she needed to go through this experience. She felt that she needed to see what was the real deal between him and his ex-wife. What led them to get married at such a young age?...What led her to leave them...why she committed suicide... Those questions bothered her mind everyday in the last few days. But, the question in her mind that bothered her most was, “Does he still love her?” Every time Kim had thought of Gerald’s ex-wife, she felt this urgent need to meet the woman that has so engrossed him over the last few years ---the woman who, upon her death, created the saddest man she has ever seen.

Gerald inserted the DVD into the player. Next, he turned off the lights and sat beside her. The television screen flickered for a few minutes...Then, larger than life images of HER started to appear. Kim held her breath as her beautiful, young face dominated the screen. Kim was instantly enthralled with her.

It was at that instant that Kim realized that she has not even asked her name. She knew very little of her. She was merely a flurry image in her mind, until now.

“What’s her name?” Kim spoke softly.

“Her name is Anne...” he said, his eyes never leaving the screen.

Then, images of them frolicking in the sandy beach played on and on. Kim figured, this was probably the Hawaiian honeymoon that he was talking about. One scene even showed both of them holding hands watching the sunset...much like they did a couple of days back. Kim could not get her eyes off her beautiful face. She was very captivating. She was like a movie star.

The next few scenes that unfolded were that of Anne and Gerald combing the streets of Waikiki beach. Though she and Gerald were happy in most of the scenes, as the camera focuses on Anne’s face, Kim saw hints of sadness in her eyes.

A few minutes later, a new scene rolled on. It was the one shot early morning in their hotel room. Gerald was filming her. IT was obvious that she had just woken up. Her hair was a bit dishevelled. Anne seemed unhappy though. Kim could almost swear she saw some resistance in Anne’s demeanour --- like she didn’t want to be there with Gerald at all.

The next few scenes unfolded poignantly like they do in the movies. There was one where Gerald was proudly carrying the infant Thomas. Gerald’s kind face instantly dominated the TV screen. Kim smiled at how young Gerald looked in the video. He looked more like a kid back then. Thomas looked more like his younger brother than a son. Gerald’s eyes remained the same though. He had the same sombre look about him. His eyes were lacklustre...even back then, he was already sad.

This time, Kim shifted her attention to the real Gerald. She observed how he would take in his breath and hold it a tad longer the next minute Anne’s lovely face grazed the screen. Kim felt a sudden rush of jealousy hit her. He must have really loved her. And why wouldn’t he? Kim thought she was...perfect! She and Gerald made up a beautiful pair.

Anne was the kind of girl Kim would really envy. She was a specimen of sophistication and decorum. She was beautiful as well as graceful. IF she was seventeen then, as Kim would have guessed, then she was a mature seventeen-year-old with an uncanny grasp of the world around her. Men around her would surely trail her endlessly, hoping to get the least bit of attention back from her. It really kills Kim knowing that Gerald used to be one of them.

“She is lovely...” Kim uttered.

“Yes, she was...” he answered.

Kim felt unabashedly envious after that. She kept mum and focused her attention on the screen. She asked herself if it was indeed rational for her to feel that way. What was she expecting him to say? Should he have said, “No, Kim, you are much lovelier than her!”

Of course, he wouldn’t say that...because it wasn’t the truth. Kim thought Anne was more beautiful than she could ever be. Compared to Anne, she was a mere bumbling idiot. Next to her refined presence, Kim was as plain and homely as one can be. Anne was like this delicate croissant, where as she...what the hell was she? Pan de sal?

If she existed next to Anne, Kim knew that Gerald for sure would never even lay his eyes on her.

Kim's thought reverted back to Gerald. IT was only now she realized how accessible Anne’s memory was to him. All he had to do was to insert a CD and he could watch her come to life again. The mere knowledge of that made Kim jealous once more. She was now and forever will be haunting him. Kim began to wonder if that day Gerald could finally say that he was over her will ever going to come. As she looked at him now...maybe it won’t...certainly, not now...maybe never...

Kim couldn’t take it any longer. She felt the warm gush of tears run down her face. She was already squirming in her seat and all this time Gerald was still focused on the screen.

Kim never felt that alone in her whole life....

IT was as if Kim herself was the third party to their affair. Seeing Gerald smile as Anne’s on-screen antics played on, Kim felt that she was intruding in their private tender moment. Even in her death, Ann was dominating Gerald...capturing his very soul by her mere memory alone.

Kim felt frustrated, useless and discarded.

Kim suddenly stood up in front of him, blocking his view partially.

For a moment there, Gerald was so engrossed watching Anne he didn't even flinch at Kim's intrusion.Kim wanted to cry and run away. But Kim was more than that now. She felt that there was one thing more that she could do...her one main advantage against Anne. She was alive...and that he could touch her. He could run his hands on her warm, moist skin. He could feel her breath next to him. Her kisses are full of warmth unlike her cold unresponsive one. Yes, she was both an image and a pulsing specimen...whereas Anne, she was thin air.

Kim sternly remained in her place.

“Kim, what are you doing?” Gerald said.

Kim slowly slid her dress strap off her shoulders.

Gerald’s eyes widened. HE quickly stood up and hugged her...putting a stop to her audacious stint.

That was when Kim fully broke down. Shame and loathing percolated into her system. She hated herself for doing it. She felt...cheap

“Kim, you didn’t have to do that...” Gerald assured her, her hair. Gerald felt her warm tears dampen his shirt as she pressed her face into his chest. He hugged her even more.

“I didn’t mean to...sorry...” Kim mumbled.

“But why, Kim?” Gerald asked, lifting her face, tenderly wiping away her tears.

“I don’t know...” Kim replied.

“I’m sorry if you felt that you had to do that, Kim. It’s all my fault...” Gerald said, running his hand through her hair.

“That’s the only way I knew I could get your attention back!” Kim remarked blisteringly back at him, squeezing herself out of his grip.

He paused for a moment, not fully grasping her concept of a cry for help. When he did, he pulled her close once more.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to...STRAY...” Gerald said briefly, realizing why Kim felt the need to do such thing.

“She’s very pretty...” Kim said. “I didn’t have a chance...”

Gerald let out laughed...more out of relief. “Oh, Kimmy, what a fool you are...”

Kim loosened herself from his grip once more. More tears fell from her eyes. “Here I am crying my eyes out...while you...you have the nerve to laugh at my face.”

“No, Kimmy, no!” Gerald said, once again enveloping her in his embrace. “You got it all wrong...”

“Take your hands off me...”

“That is where you are wrong, Kim. No one is more beautiful to me than you...not even my ex-wife. You don’t have to degrade yourself to get my attention. All you have to do is just stand there like you did and I am yours to keep...”

“You’re lying...” Kim said. “you say that, yet you act differently...you still love her...”

“No, I don’t, Kim...that I am sure,” answered Gerald. He was really serious this time. “I realized I love somebody else...I love you...”

“You’re just saying that so that you can get me to your bed.”

“Do you really believe that, Kim?” Gerald said. “Do you really believe that all I’m doing these for...is for ?”

“No...I don’t know...but, I know you’re thinking of it...” Kim said incredulously.

“Kim, believe me...if it was just ...I wouldn’t go through all this. I am not that patient. Kim, I want something more...I want something more than ...”

Kim slowly began to smile amidst her sobbing. She felt his sincerity this time.

Gerald laughed once more. “Come here, Kim. What will I have to do to convince you that my intentions to you are squeaky clean?”

Kim gingerly moved closer to embrace him. She was still crying, feeling really foolish. All she needed to do was hug him and her faith in him was restored. She could feel his genuine concern for her as soon as he pressed her close to his body. He kissed her on the forehead. IT was a kiss of assurance. Kim felt safe once more.

“See, I told you it wasn’t a good idea for you to meet her...” Gerald chortled.

“Could you please turn off that thing off?” Kim said, referring to the running video. “It feels weird.”

Gerald complied readily.

“Why weird?” he asked.

“IT feels like she is still staring at me...because technically, I’m hugging her ex-husband!”

Gerald laughed once more. “Yes, it’s weird alright! It kind of feels like committing adultery under her nose...”

Kim lovingly punched him on the arm.

“What was that for?” Gerald asked.

“I really hate you...you make me do crazy things!” Kim protested childishly.

“Honestly, Kim. If you do that striptease thing again, I promise you, I may not have the strength to restrain myself next time.” Gerald warned her.

Kim swallowed a gulp. The prospect of which somehow excited her. Her prude self tells her that she shouldn’t be even thinking about such a thing. However, the little devil inside her tells her otherwise...that she should be indulging in her innermost desires. Good and evil continually battled in her head. Fortunately, Kim was feeling a bit dangerous today. She felt invincible...like she could do no wrong.

Gerald, seeing Kim’s momentary lack of logical thinking, moves in quickly. He swiftly takes her chin up, giving her an intense kiss on the lips.

Kim almost felt feint. Gerald always seems to know when she was at her weakest. He moves in like a thief in the night whenever he kisses her. He just takes it hard, rummaging her heart and consciousness...robbing her of foresight, leaving her breathless...incoherent...tender in his wake. She was emotionally roused-up like crazy now. Desire burned in her like wildfire.

She responded with a searing kiss of her own. That left him breathless too. HE uttered “WOW!” in between breaths.
Kim was proud of herself. She was able to match wits with him this time. Kissing is definitely one heck of a sport. IT was like a chess and a tennis match rolled in to one. One moment he was leading, the next thing you know she had the upper hand. Back and forth they go.

Her mind went crazy. Kim imagined herself in the middle of Wimbledon center court. She was raising the ladies championship trophy. Gerald was looking down lovingly on her from amongst the crowd. The announcer bellowed:

“LOVE...SET...and MATCH to Ms. Kim Tuazon...”

Her day-dreaming had to stop. She had to do her share of the kissing too. Gerald was far too demanding.

Suddenly they heard a sharp scream. Child-like. It was Thomas.

“Perfect timing!” Gerald groaned.

“Well? Are you not going to get him?” Kim asked, seeing him not moving.

“He’s grown up now... he can take care of himself...”

“I’ll go if you won’t...” Kim threatened. It was the right thing to do.

Gerald cursed under his breath, then he ran up the stairs automatically.

For some reason, Kim felt deserted once more. Though she realized that it was his child and his needs come first...it really made Kim wonder if this is how it’s going to be all the time? Was she always going to come second? She had to chide herself. Now, she was jealous of Gerald’s attention to Thomas? What kind of a person was she?

Kim picked up her top, which unknowingly fell to the floor. She very felt cold.

.
.
.

Kim lazily walked up the stairs. As she opened the door to her room, before she could fully enter, Gerald called out to her from the adjacent room.

“Kim, I need you...” he somewhat commanded.

I need you.

Kim smiled wryly at him. It was nice to hear those words from him. If only his need for her is more of the passionate type not the maternal kind.
Kim said to herself, “that will do for now...”

Kim slowly opened the door to their room. A small, crying boy immediately run up to her and hugged her tightly.

“What was it all about, Tommy?” asked Kim. She slowly picked the boy up into her arms and wiped away his tears.
Gerald, who was already seated on the bed, said, “He had a nightmare.”

“Nightmare? What did you dream of, Tommy?” asked Kim. “Monsters...goblins....?”

“I dreamt that...you ran away,” Thomas said in a hoarse voice. “I was calling you...but you kept running...and you didn’t come back...”

Thomas cried once more. HE repeatedly saying, “Mommy, don’t go...”

Kim’s heart swelled. She hugged Thomas tightly. She felt tears fall from her eyes too. The little boy’s emotional confession overwhelmed her. She finally realized how much of an impact she had on him. She really meant something to him.

“But I’m here now, Tommy...” Kim said, trying to make him calm.

“Please don’t run away, mommy...” Thomas said, wiping his tears away as well as hers.

“I will not run away...promise!” Kim said half-heartedly.
“Promise? You will always be here when I wake up?” asked Thomas, his eyes aglow.

Kim could not answer him. She just can’t make that promise yet. Instead, she kissed him on the cheeks.

“I love you, mommy...” said Thomas, hugging her tightly.

“I love you too, Thomas!” Kim replied sincerely. “What Mommy Kim can promise you is that whatever happens...always think that, mommy Kim will always love you...and nothing can ever change that, understood?”

Thomas nodded, laying his head on her shoulders.

She glanced at Gerald. He was smiling broadly, trying hard to contain his own emotions. Kim laid Thomas on the bed. She and Gerald then flanked him on each side. Kim proceeded to put him to sleep.

“Sing me something, mommy...” Thomas said.

Only one song came to Kim’s mind at that moment. She sang languidly, tenderly...

“...Close your eyes, Have no fear, The monsters gone, He's on the run and your daddy's here....
Beautiful, Beautiful, beautiful, Beautiful Boy...

...Before you go to sleep, Say a little prayer, Every day in every way, It's getting better and better,
Beautiful, Beautiful, beautiful, Beautiful Boy...(John Lennon)”

Gerald was holding her hand all throughout that very tender moment. He watched her lovingly as she weaved her own brand of magic once more. HE and Thomas are her willing victims. They were trapped in a spell she expertly woven...they were forever caught there in a trance. Gerald knew, that if such were the case...neither himself nor Thomas, would never want to wake.

By the end of the last chorus, Thomas was sleeping soundly. Kim could almost swear she saw him sleeping with a smile.

.
.
.

Half an hour later, Gerald himself found some difficulty sleeping. Both he and Kim were lost in their thoughts. They were quietly staring at the ceiling. Their hands never left each other.

“What is it your thinking?” Kim asked, slightly turning left to face him.

Gerald did the same. He smiled at her, “I was thinking that Thomas should probably need to get his own room...”
Kim giggled.

“Why, is he in the way of your social life?” Kim answered naughtily.

“Not really, only with you...” Gerald said briefly.

“So, you mean to say if Thomas is not here...” Kim said to even more.

“You’re dead meat...”

Kim’s heart leaped.

“Ge, I’m just curious...who kissed better? Me or her?” Kim dared ask.

“You’re one talkative girl...” Gerald groaned, avoiding her question.

“I think that was a perfectly valid question...” Kim rattled.

“That’s it!” Gerald exclaimed, instantly standing up. “Enough of this...”

He lifted Thomas up in his arms in one swift motion. The little boy groaned lightly from the disturbance but stayed asleep. Gerald then laid him on the floor near the bed.

“What are you doing?” Kim asked him, her heart was surely beating fast.

“IT’s about time I teach you a lesson!” Gerald said, taking off his shirt.

“Hey wait!” Kim said, putting a hand over her eyes.

“You don’t tease men like that Kim and not expect them to react at all...” Gerald explained, dropping his pyjama bottoms.

“I was just kidding...”

“NO, Kimmy, you meant it...” Gerald said, moving in between the covers. “Besides, I have this thing with talkative women...”

Kim’s mind raced. Nervous as she was, she felt affixed on the bed. Her tempestuous body felt the need to stay. To meet him in one more embrace.

Gerald moved his face closer to hers. He slightly kissed her on the eyes, then on her nose then the upper lip.

“I’ve never done this before...” said Kim.

“I know...” Gerald said, kissing her on the chin. “So, stop talking...”

“How did you know?” Kim said, though her mind drifted off to space.

“Just shut up, Kim...” Gerald said, pressing his lips to hers.

That did shut her up...momentarily.

As their kisses grew more torrid, Kim remembered something. “What about, Thomas?”

“He’s asleep now...”

“What if he wakes up and sees us like this?”

“We’ll be okay as long as you don’t shout...” Gerald whimpered. “Kim, must we talk about these things right now?”

“What if I screamed?”

“Then, I’ll cover your mouth.” Gerald said impatiently.

Gerald kissed her once more. This time, Kim felt more at ease. Like everything she had been doing so far, she left it to fate. She finally let her guard down. Now, she met his passion with equal fervour. Every moving kiss, every adventurous touch...she never held back. Soon enough, her clothes fell off too. The last remaining strands of their decency were gone sooner than she expected. She couldn’t even remember how exactly, but it probably happened during their frantic exploration of each other’s bared existence. Kisses were thrown in reckless abandon...

Kim has never encountered this personal an experience before. Even the more skilled Gerald was left panting every time they had a moment to catch their breaths. Every movement they were making was almost automatic ---unabashedly carnal. Their hearts sounded the beat of that natural pulsing rhythm. Their searing bodies danced in that endless song. Skin to skin, they ignited each other’s passion. Their tired, hungry souls sought relief from the blistering heat burning from within them. Their pulses quickened. The pace of their longing grew. He explored her body in all its sacredness. He breathed in prayer after prayer, wishing this moment will never stop. She met his candour as her hands travelled his muscled physique. Her hands trembled with nervous anticipation. She wanted to please him the way he was pleasing her. He quivered at the electricity her touch generated. Later, he grew more impatient. HE wanted more.

“Kim, are you sure?” Gerald said, as he was about to complete his revered task.

Kim nodded shyly. Gerald smiled warmly at her.

“I love you...”

That was the last audible thing Kim heard as their words turn to moans. Gerald gently tutored her to the rigors of pleasuring each other. Kim responded diligently to his bidding. Together, they reached new levels of intimacy both had never experienced before. It was almost like they were tempting the Gods to smite them. No mortal ever deserved the kind of pleasure they were both experiencing that particular moment. Kim writhed from under him. She had never felt more loved and cherished ever before. She hugged him close to her. She felt his heart more clearly now. IT raced together with her own.

Kim suddenly felt his passion increase to a feverish pace. He consumed his greed with growing tension. Kim allowed him to take her to that state of tantric bliss. His movements became more hurried and swift.

Then, in one fleeting moment, their union was finally complete. Gerald heaved a sigh as he hugged Kim...his body was now spent.

Kim felt tears from her eyes flow.

“Did I hurt you?” Gerald asked, wiping the tears.

“No...these are happy tears” Kim explained.

“How did you feel?” Gerald asked her moments later.

“Consummated...” Kim said blankly. It was the first thing that entered her exhausted mind.

Gerald grinned.

“Don’t worry, next time it will be better...” Gerald promised her.

“I thought this one was fine already...” Kim said, smiling meaningfully him.

“Just fine?” Gerald asked.

“Okay, it was...mind-shatteringly good! The best...!!!” Kim bantered sarcastically.

Gerald laughed.

OH, how Kim loved his laughter! She’d give everything to hear him laugh all the time. With all the sadness that faced him, Kim felt that no man deserved this laughter more than Gerald.

“I love you Kim!” Gerald said as she kissed her once more.

“I love you too, Ge...” she responded.
Gerald smiled even more.

“Really, you love me too? Kim, does this mean we’re now officially boyfriend-girlfriend?” asked Gerald.

“After doing this...” Kim said of the act. “I guess it’s by default that we are now...steady.”

Gerald smiled briefly. Then, he closed his eyes and fell asleep.

Kim was thinking, she could very well die now in his arms. This was her happiest day. This will forever be inculcated in her mind as the day she felt truly complete --- the day he made a woman out of her.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.