FATE - chapter one

Seven Incarnations
FATE

--- is something that is inevitably predetermined; destiny.

"What if you met the man of your dreams on your way to meeting your future husband?"

.
.
.
.
- 0 x 0 x 0 x -

.
.
.
.

Kim Chiu had a bad feeling that something is going wrong with her trip today. She has long been known by her family to have this uncanny sense of detecting mishaps ahead of time. Kim, a 19-year-old who most of the time have nothing extraordinary happening to her, would at certain times get this feeling that whatever she was doing that day would either lead her to trouble or lead somebody else into trouble because of her. Unfortunately, today is one of those days. And it could not have happened in a more opportuned time...for today, she is on her way to meeting her future husband.

Being stuck in the airport is one thing, being stuck in there during the Christmas rush, is a whole different story and Kim found herself right smack in the middle of it.

“This is where the nightmare starts...” Kim thought as she enters the airport. She groaned inwardly as she sees the heavy traffic of panicky tourists and giddy vacationers pacing back and forth the large expanse of the airport lobby.

She almost regrets now having to wear her avourite “classy” dress today. With all the grovelling she might do in the next few hours, she didn’t want to ruin that “aura of sophistication” her mom tells her the dress brings. And of course, she would like to look pretty and perfect too. What will her future husband say if she came out of the plane looking like a troll in hibernation? She had to brush this thought aside as she plunges herself into the crowd.

“Vancouver International Airport, Flight PR162, time check 7:30 pm!” Kim double checked her e-ticket. Still has more than enough time to make her 10 o’clock flight. She has been running around for a good half hour, luggage and all, trying to find her airline’s ticket counter. And when she finally did, her spirits hit an all time low when she sees the line-up of balikbayan boxes strategically placed to stand in for people. At least 40 other Filipinos were already there ahead of her, they too are waiting patiently for the Philippine Airline ticket counter to open. She joined the line. She was already tired and cranky from the pressure of the days leading to this. Now, she has to face the endless whining of her fellow kababayans.

A big, burly guy just in front of her was pointing to something. She looked up. The big black digital message board hanging above says : PR162 Departing for Manila --- Delayed.

“Perfect, just perfect!” Kim grumbled. “What time are they going to open?” Kim asked impatiently, like any other excited wife who is about to meet her future husband. There is something about the prospect of meeting the man of your dreams for the first time that can be both anxious ridden and at the same time exhilarating.

“Maybe in an hour, they said our plane won’t be in till 11 pm...” an old lady answered her.

“Thanks,” Kim replied with a bit of disdain in her voice. Now, she has to stand in line till God knows when. She is now almost on the verge of tears. Though she has expected that the airport situation is going to be this bad, she had always this happy thought in her mind that this day would come without any hitch or hassle. Why not? Kim had been dreaming of this day to come practically ever since she first learned as a little girl the concept of a man and a wife. She decided instantly that her day is not going to be ruined by a messy airport. Nor will a flight delay dampen her otherwise cheerful mood.

“Happy thoughts...happy thoughts...”she muttered to herself. Kim closed her eyes to channel in some good energy into her mind. She can’t help but reminisce the day she learned about him. The day her mother told her that she is getting married.

-0-0-0-0-

“What?!!!” Kim exclaimed in much bravado. “Mom, did I just hear you say what I thought I heard you say?”

Kim had just come in from her part-time work and didn’t even have time to take off her shoes when her mom cornered her.

“Kimmy, don’t be angry,” Her mom, Alice, was trying to placate her. “We have already talked about this. Your dad just called from the Philippines, he said his kumpare (godbrother) and him have agreed to marry you with his son.”

“Gosh! Does it even matter to you whether I am going to like him or not?” Kim was exasperated.

“I’m pretty sure you are going to like him, I think I even have a picture of him,” Alice countered, heading to the living room to peruse her photo albums.

“Look mom, I don’t care if he is good looking or not!” Kim desperately reasoned. “What if he is a serial killer or much worst...a ?”

Her mom flashed Kim her “Don’t-you-think-I-know-what-I’m-doing” look. It was the cue for her to shut up.

Alice continued to go through each painstaking page of the rather obtuse photo album. Her face suddenly lit up as she fished out the picture she had so been desperately seeking for. She held it up triumphantly and handed it to Kim.

It was when Kim saw him for the first time. It was a picture of her mom and dad, together with a couple she doesn’t recognize and their kid --- a skinny waif of a boy whose age is about eleven.

“That’s me, that’s your dad, your Tita Vangie and Tito Randy...and that’s him, R.J.” Alice proudly asserted. “Isn’t he cute?”

“Mom, seriously, are you insane? This is a kid, why would I marry a kid?!”

“Of course he is all grown up now, you silly girl...”Alice explained. “This picture was taken more than 10 years ago!”

“Exactly my point, Mom!” Kim said in utter frustration. “Who knows what this RJ could have turned out to be? He could be fat and pimply. Look at his mom, who knows if he will be fat like his mom? He may be cute here ...”

“Your Tita Vangie is not fat!” her mom’s eyes widened.

“Mom, I didn’t say she was...okay, maybe chubby...but that’s besides my point!”

“Kimmy, my dear, all I want is for you to meet him. I know it’s a lot we are asking from you...” Alice said in the most appeasing manner.

Kim merely rolled her eyes.

Her mom, seeing that victory was in sight, went in for the kill.

“Kimmy, your dad and I talked about this. Of course we wouldn’t let our favourite daughter be in danger. All we want is the best for you.” Alice remarked. “Your dad and I did a little bit of digging too, and RJ is the best.”

“Who did you hire this time?” Kim crossed her arms in front of her chest.

“The usual private investigator...” Alice said in a matter-of-fact manner. “Oh, by the way, we hired a different company this time. Your dad and I didn’t want to have another fiasco, like the last time with that Enchong guy. He did turn out to be a crook...”

“Mom, you and dad should stop setting me up!” Kim cried out. “Just because this setting-you-up business worked for you and dad it doesn’t mean it will happen for me too? Case in point that last guy, he was a disaster!”

“Kimmy, trust us, this RJ is the best for you,” Alice giddily hugged her daughter. “ He is 21 now, he is an IT specialist in Vegas, he owns this mansion of a house...and he is single looking for a wife too!”

“What 21-year-old, with everything going for him like you said, would entrust himself to his parents to look for a wife for him?” rationalized Kim. “Seriously, there must be something wrong with him!”

“There is nothing wrong with him, Kimmy!” opposed Alice. “Vangie even said he turned out to be a really, really good looking kid.”

“That’s her son,” Kim bantered. “Of course she would say he is good looking. Mothers are always partial to their kids’ looks. No mother would ever say their child is ugly.”

Her mom Alice no longer answered back. She just squeezed her and kissed her on the cheek. To any obedient daughter like Kim, that was the death blow. That was the kiss of death. By default, despite all protestations, she has now signed herself up once again for this rollercoaster ride that is arranged marriage.

Oddly, as Kim held up the old picture, she discovered a keen sense of excitement looking at this young kid from 10 years ago. She found herself tracing the outline of his young face, then, she suddenly retracted.

“What am I, e?” Kim shook her head in disgust as she hastily stashed the picture away.

She headed back to her room leaving her mom still musing about her latest “project .” Still on her work clothes, Kim collapsed on her teeny bit of a bed, imagining what her life would be in the coming days. Kim, however, is no stranger to this arranged marriage hoopla. Ever since she was young she was brought up thinking that it was the way to go. Her parents were products of arranged marriages, being traditionally Chinese and all. So are all her uncles and aunts. Their families to this day, as Kim noted, are all still intact and still visibly happy. It was inculcated even in her young mind that this marriage business is as good as it is planned than it is stumbled upon. It worked for almost everybody she knew, and she is for one not going against the grain.