THE SADDEST MAN IN THE WORLD - Chapter Twelve

Seven Incarnations
DAY FIVE: The Birthday Date (Part 1)
.
.
.
.
.

Kim woke up once again wondering what happened the previous night. The last few days at least, she spends her waking moments trying to figure out the last remaining images of the night before. Today was much the same. It brings her sudden discomfort knowing she has spent the night once again in Gerald’s arms. It is not because she doesn’t trust him, but because she doesn’t trust herself with him. When it comes to Gerald, she often walks a thin line between being in control and totally losing herself. More so every day, she has found herself leaning towards the latter.

Kim suddenly cringed as she felt her now very sore, very raw lips. Has she crossed the line?

She checked herself. Yes, she still has her clothes on! But where’s Gerald? She then noticed that she was breathing heavily. It was as if there was something lying on top her. It was Gerald, and his head was on her chest. Kim double-checked his consciousness. Yes, he was still sleeping soundly. But, how did he get there? How did he manage to get his face too close to “the girls.” More importantly, how did she allow him to sleep on her like that?

Now begins the painful recollection of the events from the night before....

The last image that came to Kim’s mind was Gerald kissing her deeply on the lips. That went on for several countless minutes...or maybe hours, she didn’t track the time. But it was long....It was for sure the make-out session to end all make-out sessions. The thought alone made Kim breathless. Both of them took precious time familiarizing every luscious contour of each other’s lips. Their swollen gums battled each other in an unending dance as old as time itself. Kim remembered how their kiss went from tender to searing to meaningful and back again. It was languid and passionate at the same time. IT was like the kisses she had seen in movies...only this time, it took forever to end. It was more like a well drawn-out cricket match compared to say...the ephemeral bungee jumping...

Never had Kim exposed herself to any other man’s touch like that before. Her kiss to him was as personal as she allowed herself to be with anybody. Kim remembered how his warm lips made her legs turn to jelly. It was a good thing they were conveniently lying down on the couch or else he would have to scoop her in his arms. Kim heaved a throaty sigh.

The rest of that fateful evening was a blur to Kim though. She forced herself to remember every cherished detail of it but her tired mind failed her. Suddenly, an intrepid thought made Kim squirm.

Did they fall asleep making out?

Maybe...It sure does looks like it....

It was the only logical explanation she could find at the moment. She looked at Gerald, who still was lying on top of her. She slowly wedged herself out of his embrace. IT was a good thing that she had managed to slip out of his hold without waking him. She would be much embarrassed having to face him now. Imagine, sleeping on him while you were making out? What was he going to say? She needed time to recollect. She needed time to recover and process her surging feelings.

Kim tiptoed her way towards the guest room where her sister was soundly sleeping. She slowly tucked herself in beside her. She looked at the time. It was a quarter past five in the morning. She spent the next few minutes in vain trying to piece together what had just happened. Soon enough, her exhausted mind gave in to sleep without ever giving her the explanation that she was greatly craving for.

.
.
.

Lilly was nudging Kim vigorously later on that morning. She groaned at the unbelievable pain inflicted on her arm by her overzealous younger sister. Kim knew something might have gotten her attention or else she would not have been this giddy.

“What is it, Lilly?” Kim moaned.

“Ate, look at downstairs...” Lilly excitedly reported.

“What is downstairs?” asked Kim, burying her head further into the goose-feather filled pillows.

“Basta, ate, take a look...”

Kim knew Gerald had done something again. IT would be no surprise to her if it was something big or grandiose.

“What has he thought of this time?” Kim grumbled as she put on her slippers to take a peek at the door.

Kim slowly opened the door, slightly parting it....She saw something white and pink on the ceiling...they were balloons!

Kim immediately closed the door. Now, she was excited too. She gave Lilly a quick bath and herself a quick shower before heading out of their room.

At the top of the stairs, Gerald was waiting for the two of them. Kim smiled coyly at Gerald as their gazes met. He looked more handsome in his bright blue sweatshirt and his khaki trousers. He was slightly leaning on the banisters, his hands on his pockets.

“Good morning, girls!” Gerald greeted them.

“Good morning, kuya!” greeted Lilly back.

“Kuya? Since when did he become your brother?” asked Kim.

“Kuya Gerald said he was much too young to be called Tito. Plus, he can’t be an uncle if he was your boyfriend!” reasoned Lilly.

“Did you actually say that?” Kim directed at Gerald.

“Kids...!” Gerald answered. “They say the darndest things!” There was still some hoarseness on his voice but it sounded way better than yesterday.

“Lilly, your Kuya Gerald is not yet Ate’s boyfriend, okay?” explained Kim.

“Not yet...?” said Gerald.

“Not yet...remember?” said Kim, giving Gerald ‘the look.’

“Ahhh...yes, Lilly. Your Ate is not my girlfriend yet...” said Gerald. “She is just my....kissing partner!”

“Kissing partner?” Lilly said.

“Urrggghh! Lucky for you, you don’t have to explain to her everything!” Kim complained.

Gerald wheeled around and left Kim trying to quell Lilly’s active imagination.

He overheard Kim saying:

“Lilly...what your Kuya meant was this...God, how do I explain this...”

“Ate, you kissed each other, that’s it...I know what it meant!” answered Lilly mischievously.

Gerald just smiled and headed downstairs.

.
.
.

“What is this, Mr. Garcia?” Kim said, looking at the pink and white balloons on the ceiling.

There were a lot more scattered on the floor too. IN fact, the whole house was filled with white and pink balloons. It literally took Kim’s breath away. She felt like she was in an unknown place where only beauty resides. IT looked like she was floating on a sea of pink and white marshmallows. In her mind, she wanted to throw herself into the sea of balloons. It was one of her dreams as a kid. She had to control herself from doing it.

“Do you like it?” said Gerald. "I knew you like pink and white balloons..."

“Yes, I do...but how did you do it? You couldn’t have done it in the last three hours. I walked by here at dawn, none of these were up yet...” Kim rambled.

“I asked yaya and the others to blow these up very early this morning...it’s sheer lung power that drove all of these...” he boasted.

“No way...” her eyes still roaming around the colourful decor.

“Okay, okay...I ordered them from a birthday store...they delivered them at seven this morning,” said Gerald. “I said five thousand balloons ought to do it...”

“Birthday store...?” Kim language skills had been reduced to a couple words at a time due to the utter shock. “Whose birthday is it today?”

“Yours...” Gerald said.

“Mine...? Mine isn’t till April...” answered Kim.

“Yes, I know that.” Gerald said with an impatient sigh. “But, do you really want me to explain now?”

“Yes...please ....” begged Kim, was still agape. Her curious mind was begging for mercy. A relentless assault of pleasant things can be just as mentally tiring as bad things coming at once. The only difference is, here, you really can’t complain. And it’s not too bad in this case that the bearer of the gifts is as handsome as him.

“Wait, there’s more...” said Gerald. “I’ll explain all of these once we get to the kitchen...Ooops, I almost forgot, I left Tommy on his own with your cake...come on, Lilly.”

Lilly obediently followed Gerald as he disappears on one of the archways.

“What cake?” Kim uttered blankly as she trailed Gerald and Lilly to the kitchen.

.
.
.

It was pretty much the same in there. Pink and white balloons and party buntings surround the expansive kitchen. Kim saw Lilly’s mouth drop at the sight of a fancy three-tiered cake on the table. The cake itself was splendidly made. There was a fairy princess figurine on top of it. The figure shimmered as the mid-morning light cast it’s mighty rays on its sequined gown. There were white edible flowers on the sides too. Also, small, pink candy flowers were scattered all over. Ribbon-like, pink, fondant icing completes the intricate ts.

They walk into Thomas, who was now propping himself up the kitchen stool, dipping his finger on the cake. Gerald made a coughing sound. The little boy was suddenly alarmed by his dad’s presence. As a tested defence mechanism, he flashed them the naughtiest grin Kim has ever seen. He was so adorable...even if he was caught with his hand on a contraband...he looked like an innocent angel.

“Tommy, I said the cake was a surprise for your mommy Kim!” said Gerald.

“I just wanted to taste it...” answered Tommy.

Kim put her hand on Gerald’s shoulders as she saw he was about to give the boy some more scolding. “Ge, it’s alright...Tommy was just curious. If you leave me in a room with a cake like that, it’ll be gone in a minute too. Yet, it took him this long to taste it... I’m actually very proud of his will power....”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right...” Gerald said, shrugging his shoulders. "but, don't ever do that again!"

Thomas nodded.

“Wow, ate, is today really your birthday?” asked Lilly, reading the inscription on the cake. It said: Happy Birthday Kimmy.

“I don’t know, Lilly. Last time I remembered, I was born April 17...” mused Kim. “Unless, of course, someone will start explaining to me why I have to have my birthday....like, right now...”

“Not until you blow your candles first...”Gerald staved off Kim’s hanging question.

Gerald quickly grabs a matchbox from one of the kitchen drawers. He then proceeded to light the candles. The candles that were on the cake were those sparkly ones, the one Kim had always dreamed to have...

“Okay, kids...let’s sing...Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you...” Gerald then led the kids to a non-melodic, out of tune version of the classic song. But, Kim couldn’t care less. She felt happy...and special.

“Now, close your eyes and make a wish...” reminded Gerald. “Now, blow your candles...”

Kim closed her eyes and wished as she was told. She knew what she wanted and she kept her wish to herself. She was one of those people who believe that for a birthday wish to come true, it must be kept guarded inside one’s heart. Having her secret wish safely planted in her soul, she opened her eyes and blew each of her sparkling candles. She took time and blew each and every one them, wishing they would never stop glowing. She felt sad as she extinguished the final candle, somewhat a signal that her magical bash will soon be over too.

The children joyously clapped as Kim finished blowing the candles on her cake. All the time Kim was blowing, Gerald was busy getting it all on video. Kim smiled as Gerald focused his video camera on her.

“What did the birthday girl wish for?” Gerald said, looking at the camera’s LCD monitor.

“What every girl wish for...” Kim said poignantly.

“And what is that?” Gerald asked.

“I can’t reveal it yet, or else, it won’t come true...” Kim replied.

“Okay, okay...but, are you happy?” Gerald queried, his eyes never leaving the monitor.

“I will be if you start explaining why we are doing this?” Kim said impatiently.

Gerald instantly put down the camera. He lay it on the kitchen table and looked directly at Kim.

“Well, I asked Lilly one time when is your birthday. She said she doesn’t know...or that she couldn’t remember if you ever did have one...because you never ever celebrated it...”Gerald said. “And I was floored because, I never heard of anybody not celebrating their birthday.”

“I used to when I was younger...but as I grew up, I never felt the need to fuss about it...I told my parents never to do anything special on my birthday because I didn’t want to burden them...” said Kim.

“Not even a cake to blow on your birthday?” added Gerald.

“We’re not as rich as you are...”Kim reasoned.

“I’m not talking about something as grand as this, but even just a simple celebration?” said Gerald.

“No...I’m not that important...”

“Well, Kimmy, you are important to me...” said Gerald. “So I did a little research. I found out your birthday was actually in April. That was too far away, so I decided to throw you a special birthday bash today. In that way, you could experience what it is like to be celebrated for...One needs to feel special on their birthday. It is your one day to reward yourself...your one day to feel special.”

Gerald held her hand and gave it a light squeeze. Kim felt her eyes tremble. She desperately held on to her tears.

The truth was Kim felt special alright. In fact, she felt more special than that fairy princess figurine on top of the cake. At least, in her world, the ones surrounding her were real people. And yet, her world is just as whimsical and colourful as that of the fairy cake topper. Kim was even glad that even though she may not be as perfect as that figurine, at least she was not as lonely as she was on top of the cake. Kim thought that if she ever became a cake topper, she would be the one in a tiny wedding gown with a groom in white beside her. That way, she and him are locked hand in hand forever. They exist together.

Kim immediately cast the thought aside. She bemused at how she saw some parallelisms between her and the cake topper. She must be really nuts now.

“I thought this whole seven days we’ll spend on trying to get you out of your doldrums...to make YOU happy...” Kim said, cutting off her own daydream. “Not ME...”

“Well, I thought about it...I said, I should surround myself with things that make me happy. YOU make me happy a lot. I feel happy, when you are happy. IT’s that simple...” said Gerald.

Kim glowed at his words.

Apparently, they were too engrossed talking that they didn’t realize that Thomas and Lilly were now on attack mode on the cake. When they had a moment, they were both shocked to see the two kids had icing smudged on their faces.

The two tots immediately started pointing to each other.

“She did it!” Thomas said, pointing at Lilly.

“No, he started it...” Lilly protested.

Gerald moved in closer towards the cake. He then stuck his finger into the cake. He slowly grazed a line of icing, coating his finger with a big glob. He looked at it, saying, “What a waste of a wonderful cake!”

“It’s okay...even if we ruined the way it looked, I’m pretty sure it tastes really good...” Kim rambled on trying to make do of the remainder of the pastry.

Gerald gave her a mischievous glance.

“What?” Kim nervously asked.

“Run...” Gerald warned her.

Gerald suddenly smeared some icing on her face before Kim could ever react. Kim shrieked. The kids joined in. They dipped their hands on the cake and splodged it on each other’s faces. Gerald ran after Kim who was squealing all the way.

The poor cake was never eaten after that.

.
.
.

“Now, what?” Kim asked Gerald moments later after their hearty food fight.

Gerald had now dragged her back into the foyer. HE was about to reveal to her another of his surprises. The two kids meanwhile were busy playing with the balloons.

“You actually thought that was it?” Gerald said. “Kim, what have you learned in the last few days?”

“You mean...there’s more?”

“OF course, there’s more!” Gerald exclaimed.

“Okay, tell me now...don’t make me beg...” Kim said.

“Well...with birthdays...normally there are presents, right?” said Gerald.

“Yes, gifts are normally involved...but, I don’t know what normal is anymore with you, people,” answered Kim.

“Well, with that thought in mind, why don’t we go to this room here? You decide what you see fit...” quipped Gerald, taking Kim’s hand and pulling her across one of the halls leading to a guest room she has never been to before.

Kim’s eyes widened when he opened the room.

This time, what was before her was like a page out of a Cosmo magazine! On one side, there was a big glass counter with jewellery inside. Another counter held make up and perfume. One section was filled with almost a hundred pair of expensive shoes. At the far end of the room, there were a couple racks of designer clothes. The room even came equipped with a make-shift changing room and its own saleslady. She even has her own till counter.

What was he trying to do? Giving her a coronary? That would be nice...her tombstone will read: death by shopping...or better yet....death by opulence...

“Oh my God...” Kim said in disbelief.

“Just the reaction I’ve been looking for!” Gerald said, watching Kim’s ever changing expressions.

“What is this?” Kim asked blankly.

“IT’s your present...”

“My own department store?” Kim said, her eyes never leaving the lavishly-decorated room.

“NO, silly, here you can choose any gift you like...” said Gerald. “Pick any of the items you fancy...just like you would in a real store.”

“Anything that I want?” Kim looked at him incredulously.

“Yes, Kim, splurge to your heart’s content...” answered Gerald briefly, giving her a nod of assurance.

“How many men could ever say that?” Kim thought in her mind.

She moved towards the jewellery section. There were stuff in there that she could pawn and feed her family for a month.

“What if I want everything?” said Kim.

“Then, go ahead and tell that lady to pack away all of them....” replied Gerald.

“But, you know I’m not going to do that, don’t you?” answered Kim.

“Of course, because you’re not that kind of a girl...”said Gerald confidently, touching her nose with his index finger.

“Good...” Kim sighed. She really felt grateful dating somebody that rich. The luxury...he was affording her was tremendous. She immediately reminded herself not to ever get used to it. “You know what, it would have been easier if you just took me to the mall...or perhaps you could have closed down for a few hours one of those department stores like hollywood stars do ...”

“Yes, I could have...” Gerald answered. “But, where’s the fun in that?”

Kim smiled back at him. He was officially, the date of the century. Can you imagine a guy, bringing a department store into his home, so that you can go ahead and shop the stuff you want? Most A-list Hollywood stars have not even gotten any sort of treatment like that. How could any normal man top that?

“Wait...do you own a department store too?” asked Kim.

“No, my uncle does...I called him and pulled a few favours...” said Gerald. “This is their next month’s collection. Come on, get inside...I’ll leave you to shop in peace. Who knows how long you’ll take in there...”

“Could I just get anything?” Kim said.

“Anything...” Gerald said, turning around, whistling his way out of her sight.

Kim sighed heavily as she entered her own special department store.

.
.
.

The rest of the day flew by with so much fun. Kim of course, enjoyed the shopping the most. She tried to veer away from the more expensive stuff. She didn’t feel right getting them. She settled for pieces she could use and re-use on a regular basis. In the end, she was proud of her “nominal” purchases.

Gerald even scolded her because she tempered herself. He said, it cost him an arm and a leg to get that sales lady booked...Kim could have at least given her the exercise.

They spent the rest of the afternoon playing with the kids. Lilly and Thomas were enjoying each other’s company more. It has come to a point that they were treating each other like normal siblings. Gerald’s hold of Kim meanwhile, has been getting cosier and cosier. Almost all throughout the day they were holding hands. Kim no longer protested. Not even if Lilly was around.

Later on that evening, they were having a private dinner, just herself and Gerald. They asked the yaya’s to put the kids to bed early while the two of them sat on the balcony, having their dinner with candle light.

“Happy birthday...” said Gerald briefly.

“Thank you,” Kim said, smiling warmly at him. “This is my best birthday ever...”

“I’m glad...” said Gerald.

“You are like my own personal, genie...”observed Kim. “You grant me all my wishes...”

“As I should...as any man should...” he answered.

“Thank you....” said Kim. She really felt his sincerity.
Gerald poured more champagne on her glass.

“Kim, are you happy?” asked Gerald, glancing down on his own wine glass, swirling around its contents.

“Very happy...are you?” she answered sincerely.

“I can finally say that...yes, I’m happy...” he said, smiling back at her.

“I never thought I could ever make you smile back...” she said.

“A lot have tried...but only you succeeded...” he answered.

“You made it sound like a conquest...”

“It was...and a hard one at that...” Gerald said meaningfully.

“What did I win then?” Kim asked playfully, fishing for some affectionate words from him.

“Simple...you won my heart...”Gerald answered, his eyes were smouldering with desire for her.

Kim held her breath. His shear presence was taking the oxygen out from each of the cells in her body. He was breathtakingly handsome, Kim could not even think straight right now. Now his words seared into her soul. IT will take mighty effort for her not to grab him and kiss him senseless.

“You’re such God’s gift to me, Kim. You came at the right time where I needed you the most. I never knew I could ever be this happy, this short a time...thanks to you...I am ME again...”

“I really didn’t do anything...” Kim admitted.

“That’s the beauty of this whole thing, Kim. You didn’t have to be anything...just being you, makes me happy...you make it effortless for me to like you...to love you...”

“Love...?” Kim sighed.

“Kim, I am this way now...this ever-smiling man, whose heart glows at every step...because I realized that day that I met you...I already loved you. I didn’t know how or why...I just felt it. It was like your presence alone brought life to my otherwise cadaver-like existence. Then, as we spent more time together, my world started to change. I started to gain some of my insights back...” Gerald said with all conviction.

Kim’s cheek felt very warm. Her eyes started to well.

Gerald continued, “Then, I started to plan this little adventure of ours. This whole journey was a way in which I can bare my real self to you....the only way I knew how. I have to put out all of the stops. I couldn’t bear failing... Because if that were the case, that’ll be the death of me. You see, Kim, I knew from the start that your love will be the only antidote to my dreary and dismal existence. I didn’t need any fancy plan for myself...no intricate ploy...I knew that if you loved me too, I’ll be happy. That was my PLAN. And, seeing that you appreciated every little thing that I did, every little kiss you planted on my lips...my heart surges in ecstasy.”

Kim was dumbfounded by his revelations.

“You did all that...because you loved me?” Kim asked redundantly.

“Yes, Kim... I am truly, deeply, maddeningly in love with you...” said Gerald. “Yes, I am guilty of pre-meditation...conspiracy...treason, what have you...It’s all because I love you...

Kim grabbed her wine glass with trembled hands. She took a sip of her wine. In her mind, she wanted to splash some water on his face...just to check if he wasn’t feverish...or mad...

“Say something...” he begged.

“I wanted to hear it again...” Kim said.

“That I love you?”

“Yes...I want to be sure...that you are still in the right frame of mind...” Kim mumbled incoherently.

“Ten thousand times still not enough, eh?” Gerald said mockingly. "Okay, if you insist...Kim, I love you..."

“But, you are one crazy man for loving me like this...” deviated Kim, downing another gulp of the wine.

“Why shouldn't I? Kim, are you still lucid?” Gerald said, placing his hand gently on her wrist to stop her from drinking more wine. Kim followed and put her wine glass to rest.

“This wine is strong....”she mused.

“Stop beating around the bush, Kim. What I have been wanting to know, is if I have already won your heart too?”

Kim thought for a minute. She needed time for some much needed clarity...or sanity... NO matter how much she hid it, she knows that he could feel that she loved him too. For her, it’s already immaterial that she confirms it. But for men, it’s different. He wanted the validation.
Was it too fast to give an answer now? She was courted for five days...was that considered too fast if she said YES now?

Kim thought of a distant relative of hers who got engaged to a guy she sat with on a plane for several hours. Nowadays, they are still together. She also had another cousin who was wooed by another guy for two years, yet they got separated in the end. Kim was confused now which route to go. IN her mind though, the answer was clear.
There was just a thought that was forever bugging her.

“Gerald, before I make my decision, I wanted to ask you a favour...”

“Yes, honey, what is it...”

“I want to meet your ex-wife...”

Gerald, shocked, dropped his fork. He gave it a thought, then, he held Kim’s hand. He smiled back reassuringly. He sighed under his breath, saying to himself, “This is crazy...”

“Please...” Kim said.

“Yes you may, but promise me...don’t ever contact her from the other side...” said Gerald, playfully. “Don’t ever tell her to rise up from the grave, okay?”

Kim laughed...But deep inside, she was very nervous. She was about to meet the woman that previously held his heart.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Hope you guys liked it. This chapter is deeply personal to me. Sorry sa mga mada-dramang eksena. I'm in that frame of mind kasi, unfortunately...

Rest of Day FIVE, I will update tomorrow...

.
.
.
.

Spoiler:

A big revelation will be coming on the next chap, plus their relationship might move to the next level...actually, i don't know yet...i'm just thinking about it...probably, it's about time..considering how they have gone through this whole courtship marathon...

- reg -