He will prove his sincerity to me

River of No Return

So Min

This was only the first day of my second week at work but I felt bogged down as I stood outside the office. The thought of seeing Geun Suk sunbae and Hyun Joong sunbae certainly evoked the urge to take leave today. I had rehearsed umpteen times on what I should say when I faced both sunbaes.

I was relieved when both of them were nowhere in sight as I stepped into the office at 8 a.m. Yet, I knew that I should not rejoice over the fact of avoiding them. Avoidance would not solve the problem. I should pluck up my courage and apologise to both of them. I whisked out my handphone to search for their numbers but realized that I did not have theirs. Momentarily relieved, I decided to delay the apology till they appear and proceed with work.

Before I could sit down at my desk, my handphone gave out a beep sound.

Lunch at our normal place today? Hyori wrote

I replied: OK. See you at 12pm.

I put away my phone and switched on the laptop. There were sixty over emails to Hyun Joong sunbae and me. I had trouble grasping the necessary follow up actions for some. So, I shifted those emails that I could not attend to now to the ‘Follow Up’ folder whilst for those I could take actions on, I responded to them diligently .

It was already 10 a.m. when I finally responded to the last email when my handphone beeped again. I looked at the unfamiliar number and opened the text message.

Meet me at the cafeteria. Geun Suk

I breathed in deeply. ‘This is it.’ I told myself. I rolled back my chair quickly to stand up, wishing the swift action would inject more courage into me to face him.

Before I could stand, someone at the back let out a loud yelp. Scrambling up, I looked behind to check whose feet my chair had rolled over. To my horror, it was Hyun Joong sunbae!

“You!! You again! Mishaps keep happening to me when you are around!” He held his left foot up, howling in pain. His anger from last Friday seemed to have increased exponentially from his reaction.

“I’m very sorry about last Friday. I’ll pay you back for the damage.” I bowed apologetically.

“Pay? You could not pay for the loss that you have caused! You are a jinx! Just stay away from me!” He hollered.

By now, the other office staffs were scorning at us for the noise we were making. I decided that the best way out now was to disappear from Hyun Joong sunbae’s sight till his anger subsided. I apologized frantically to the other staffs as I backed away from the office.

Geun Suk sunbae was working on his laptop at the back of the cafeteria as I strolled towards him cautiously. Contrasting to Hyun Joong sunbae, he looked calm and composed, rather different from how I would expect his mood would be today.

He was still engrossed in his work that he did not realized that I was already standing in front of him across the table. I called out meekly, “Geun Suk sunbae…”.

He looked up and smiled, “Good morning. Please sit down.” He placed a styrofoam box and opened it in front of me as I sat down. “I have bought ddukbokkie.”

I stared at the box, wide eyed and then at him questioning if this was all he was going to say.     

His smile disappeared and he asked worriedly, “Not hungry? Are you feeling well?” He took the box and sniffed the content, “You don’t like spicy food?”

I forced a smile, “No, it’s not that, sunbae..”

“Call me Geun Suk” he interrupted.

“Geun Suk…” I nodded sheepishly as I rubbed my sweaty palms against my pants. I was thankful that he did not show any signs of reproach for my immature reaction last Friday.“Regarding what you said that night, I…”

“Let me say first.” Geun Suk cut in. “I meant what I said at the party and I’m not sorry that I’ve said it. Perhaps getting Hyun Joong involved in the conversation was a mistake. We have no intention of making you feel uncomfortable whatsoever.” He paused and studied me carefully. I bent down my head, simply nodding as he spoke. He added with a softer tone this time, “Though we barely each other, I couldn’t explain why I like you a lot, So Min. I wish you could give me a chance.”

I started fiddling with my fingers, still looking down as I tried to search for words in response, “Geun Suk, I think I feel good about you. But, it’s too early for us to go into a relationship. We need more time.” I looked up at him with pleading eyes, begging for concurrence, “Don’t you think so?”

He smiled and nodded slowly. “I understand. I will not push you now. Let’s get to know each other better first. I will continue work hard to prove my sincerity to you.  I hope you will accept me soon.”

Touched by Geun Suk’s determination, I smiled back at him warmly, “I’ll wait for that day to come.”