He should not have come back!

River of No Return

So Min

“What the..!” My jaw dropped at the sight of the files piled up on my desk. I walked over to Hyun Joong sunbae. His feet were propped against his desk with a satisfied grin on his face. “Sunbae, did you put those files there?”

He looked at me from the corner of his eyes and answered without looking me in the face. “Yes. Is something wrong?”

Disgusted by his rudeness, I drew in my breath and replied stonely, “No.” Not expecting that the conversation would continue any further, I stomped back to my seat. Unfortunately, my display of anger towards him was muffled by the carpet that covered the floor.

He shouted over the mountain of file, “I want you to memorise every detail of all companies in those files. And do that in a week!”

Shooting an angry glare through the files in his direction, I hope I could burn down those files with him in it like Superman. A wicked smile was twisted on my face as my imagination ran ertly wild of him screaming in anguish.

I know you are looking at me with those scornful eyes! I get frightened easily. And when I am frightened, I will puke all over the place,” he threatened over the files

There he goes again, trying to remind me of the wrong I had done him! Recalling that I was in the wrong in the first place, I decided to give in to his demands and picked up a file as thick as my face. I huffed agonizingly as I opened the file to start reading.

Whoosh! A dense cloud of dust attacked my nostrils as I flipped open the hard cover. I started to cough uncontrollably till my tears sprung out. Gosh! How long had these files been archived away?

1972!!!??? I checked the name of the company and was unpleasantly surprised that the company had folded up ten years ago. Going through four more files, I realized that those files were also dated between 1960 to early 1970s. And all those companies were all no longer existent today. Why on earth would he want me to waste my time memorising the information of these companies? Eyes squinted towards his direction while gnashing my teeth, I admitted remorsefully that I should not have wished him back. Fancy a big man like him taking revenge over a trivial accident in so petty ways!

Hyun Joong

COUGH COUGH!                   

My heart danced with triumph as her cough echoed through the office. This is only my first step of my plan to get back at her for my failed mission the other night. I had planned a long series of tricks to let her taste my anguish that I was suffering from now. The next thing I would make her do was to keep those files back in the storage room in the basement. That room was located at the far end of the building, next to the other storage rooms. Here was where the company retained all the old documents and furniture and hardly anyone visited the basement or even walked in there voluntarily. The air was stale, made even more repulsive by the stench of rotting wood of the wooden doors. The atmosphere was so dense that the sound of your footsteps sounded like the marching of a thousand invisible soldiers surrounding you. Even the light bulb in the storage room flickered intermittently, creating ghostly shadows along the walls. It was very eerie down there and I admitted that even I was spooked when I went down to collect the files. Luckily, one of my lady admirers valiantly braved through the two hours there with me as I prepared for my evil plan.

I carefully labeled the boxes so that it would not be hard for So Min to see where to place the files in. Kind hearted, you call me? No..no…I’m not accepting a compliment I do not deserve. After labeling the boxes, I tossed the boxes into the furthest corner of the room, a corner so high where it was hard to reach without second help and so well hidden that she would take hours to search. Well, the time here alone would be enough to freak her out of her wits, I hoped.

This should teach her a lesson for meddling with my plans. I took so long to muster sufficient courage to confess my feelings to Hyori, only to be ruined by her. Heaven knows when to find a time as appropriate as the year end dinner to pour my heart out to her. My timid heart could not deal with another burst of energy to face Hyori again.

I felt terribly frustrated over again devising the right time and right way to do it. And before I was over with my frustration, So Min would see no ends of my pranks!