Second Chance and Opportunity

River of No Return

So Min

Sorrow had numbed my senses of time passing by. I was not aware whether it was night or day outside. As a result of excessive crying, I could barely open my sore eyes to challenge the light seeping through the window panes. Cool air attacked my arid eyes stung my sight a multiplicated the burden on my already hefty breathing.

Part of me had accepted the painful truth that Hyun Joong had left but part of me still refuted the disaster brought upon by the kidnap. How I hated myself for being the cause of the whole tragedy, for being the reason that Hyun Joong had met his Maker.

I gathered all my courage to embrace Hyun Joong one last time. Tears breached through as I convinced myself that this was indeed the end. With a heavy heart, I struggled to pull myself away from the embrace, unwilling to let him go.

“I love you. Though I knew you no longer could hear me…But I want to tell you anyway”.

I stood up from his bedside and walked towards the door. It was finally the time to let the doctors take him to where he should be.

Staring at his lifeless face, I found myself still pining for the slightest hope that his eyelids will flutter and showed some signs of life.

 

 

Minutes passed……

 

 

Nothing…….

 

 

I guessed this was Goodbye.

 

 

As my hand reached for the door’s knob, an unmistakable beeping sound resonated through the room. I stood frozen in my position, debating if I should trust that sound that my ears caught. My heartbeat strayed away from its regular cycle, so much, that I swore it would had leapt out of my mouth if I did not hold my breath.

 

Could it be….?

------

 

------

 

------

 

------

 

Swiftly, my eyes locked onto the small screen where the sound had originated. My pupils quickly dilated in response to the shock that took over. His eyelids were fluttering erratically as if he was in a trance.  I swung open the door immediately and bellowed loudly so that the whole hospital could hear me.

“DOCTOR! NURSE!

COME….! QUICK!!

HYUN JOONG….

HE’S ALIVE!!”

 

Kim Dong Jae

“Hyori, please come into my room for a moment.”

She appeared promptly right in front of my desk in her navy blue halter neck dress. I glanced up at her from my papers, careful not to linger too long on her beautiful face and lean body.

“Please send these files to our office in Fukushima. These documents are very important so please settle them immediately after you leave the room.”

She moved forward to retrieve the envelope that I was holding in my hand and her fingers gently brushed over mine for a split second. For that brief minute moment, my entire body trembled beneath her touch as I recalled our fond memories together years ago. How I missed those days…

As she turned to leave, I unconsciously called out to her in hope that I could smell her scent a little longer.

“Yes, Mr Kim?” She asked in her usual cold tone and stoned face.

My eyes met her icy stare. Silence.

“I was just wondering…how you have been lately?” I finally managed a question.

“Never been better.” She smirked seductively with an underlying sarcasm. “Are you not disappointed that I am?”

Shot point blank at my aching heart, I replied sincerely, “No, I’m glad that you are.”

She sneered and opened the door to let herself out. As soon as the door closed behind her, I reclined back on my chair and heaved a long sigh.

How I wished I could turn back the clock and returned to those days when I declared her heart mine.  How I missed the feel of her soft skin and tender lips. Those days when we cuddled close in happy and troubled times. But it ended when she told me that she was pregnant and I was torn between spending the rest of my life with her and the empire that I had sacrificed so much to build. I had already lost my wife and I had just managed to reclaim the son that I had forsaken for all these years.  I vowed to give him my best to redeem the duties I had failed to do as a father. But his identity must be kept a secret, for I feared that harm would come to him should his relationship with me be exposed.

I could not allow Hyori to be in danger because of me, more so our innocent flesh and blood who was still unaware of the peril it might face if it comes into this world. I could not allow history to repeat itself again, with enough harm done to my wife, son and me.

That day, though my heart shattered as she begged me to spare her unborn child, I had to force her into abortion. Despite knowing that she would hate me, I still love her for I wanted to keep her by my side so that I could protect her and tend to her needs. So, I offered her a role as my secretary. I thought she would reject my offer, but to my surprise, she took it. However, things were never the same again. She did not see me the way as she had before.  She was cold. Her eyes, when she looked at me, bore the abhorrence that sentenced my life into eternal hell.

I had always wondered if all that I had done was worth it. If only someone could tell me now how could I live on anymore with all the people I loved, hating me in return.

Hyori

Leaning against the door, I closed my eyes to allow myself to get over the surge of emotions that overwhelmed me everytime I see him. I swiped away my tears that flowed angrily, fascinated at how I could still cry over this man who had destroyed my life. It’s tears of hate, I convinced myself. I would make him suffer and regret every second of his life for what he had done to me. That was why I should stay on here, to remind him everyday of his sin of killing my child, for killing my heart. When the time was ripe, I swore I would make him pay back every drop of blood and tears my child and I shed for him.

After I was sure that I had calmed down, I went down to the delivery room to mail the envelope that he passed to me.  I was on my way up when my Samsung Galaxy rang.

“Hi. Hyori here.”

“I have a proposal for you. If you are interested on how you could seek redress for all the grievances that Kim Dong Jae had done to you, see me at Café Paris after work today.”

The line went dead.

I looked suspiciously at the caller id. It was a call from within the office. I was curious on who in the company would know about my past with Kim Dong Jae. For the rest of the day, I could not concentrate on anything but just wondered about the call and whether I should meet the mystery caller, whilst the risk averse part of me wanted to disregard this as a hoax and sleep over it.  

As if walking in a trance, I found myself standing outside Café Paris. With trembling hand, I swung the door open. I was breathing heavily, frightened and inquisitive at the same time to whom I would find waiting for me behind this door…the man who had promised me the revenge that I had been pining for.

As I entered the café, my eyes darted frantically around the small enclosure in search of anyone whom I could put the face to the mystery caller.

“Ah…..Hyori, I knew you would come.”

I spun around to identify the man behind the voice.

“You….”

 

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Bowwow

I saw most authors writing their comments at the bottom of the chapter instead in the 'comments column'. I thought this would be a better idea since it is more likely the author's comments will be read.

Fellow Hyunmin lovers and friends, here is the next chapter as promised. As the title suggests, Second Chance is for Hyun Joong, Opportunity is for Hyori. It's very obvious what Second Chance is to Hyun Joong i.e. a second chance in life. But what 'Opportunity' is there for Hyori and how will this 'Opportunity' affect the other characters in this story?

Please forgive me for grammatical or sentence errors. Was writing this in between any free slots that I have and some parts seems a bit disconnected to me..hur hur hur...=p.

Anyway, as I have mentioned earlier, this is another phase of the story. There will be more angst (i just added this tag) and if you are waiting for 'something' to happen, this will be the starting point, but pls be patient.

I may not update the next story so soon. However, please continue to read and comment as you please. And if you like the story enough, pls also subscribe. Thank you very much dear friends/ subscribers/ readers and love to all!