The Awakening

River of No Return

So Min

Doctors, not two, but a horde of them, and the nurses, came rushing into Hyun Joong’s room when they heard my plea. Unable to retain their composure, they mumbled incoherently in mandarin and as they could hardly believe that a man declared clinically dead for more than four hours would come back to life miraculously. 

So great was their enthusiasm in examining Hyun Joong that they did not realize that they had pushed me out of the room and closed the door in my face. Though anxious, I could only wait patiently outside the room and worry about Hyun Joong’s current condition, while doubting the doctors’ professionalism in handling the situation at the same time.

After what seemed like a good two hours, the door finally opened to reveal a group of doctors beaming with joy. One of them finally acknowledged my presence and updated me on their cross examination on Hyun Joong.

“We ran a check on Mr Kim. He is generally fine, but we need to keep him here for further observation.”

 “When will he wake up?” escaped the question that I had been dying to ask.

“Maybe soon, maybe tomorrow, maybe in the next few days…He will be fine, please trust us. We will continue to monitor his progress,” the doctor assured.

Before he departed, I bowed and he did the same awkwardly, for it was not in his culture for such formalities. Leaving me now with the open door to Hyun Joong’s room, I walked in quietly, making sure that my footsteps would not startle his slumber.

Compared to before Hyun Joong’s resurrection, the room now did not appear as desolate. A wisp of fresh air now inhibited my lungs, as though bringing life back into my soul. I was thankful that he was given a second chance, as much as a chance for me to shower him with love unabashedly from now on.

Kissing his palm tenderly, I smiled as I held his hand against my cheek and felt the warmth diffusing from his palm. “I didn’t lie to you. I’ll be here till you wake up.”

 

Two weeks had passed. Hyun Joong was still sleeping like a child, unperturbed of things happening around him. Anxiety had filled me to the brim of late and even the doctors were starting to lose confidence and that he might remain in comatose for an extended period of time. I had requested to transfer him back to Seoul for observation but the doctors persuaded me to only consider this option after three weeks.

I had been calling Mom daily to let her know that I was fine to keep me sane from thinking of negative thoughts. I had updated our office of our current situation and Geun Suk, as usual, had been conversing with me over the phone every night to comfort me that things would be fine.

On the other hand, I had been juggling our unfinished business with Director Zhang and tending to Hyun Joong day and night. Capitalising on as much as I had learnt for the past months, I had managed to close the project with a proposal for Director Zhang to partner his semiconductor businesses with an R&D company from Germany, which boasted of innovative strategies to reinvent the semiconductor industry. When Director Zhang finally agreed to sign to close this phase of the contract, I sighed with relief that a fatiguing task had finally been lifted off my shoulders.

It had been no doubt exhausting in the day, but I knew that I needed to return to Hyun Joong’s side to watch over him after my task was over. I engaged him in conversations daily, as if he was listening. Many times, I looked at him in hope that he would hear me and opened those long shut beautiful eyes. But after many days, I had come to believe that those were merely wishful thinking. I tried to console myself that I should be content that even though he was not reciprocating, he was at the very least breathing and alive.  

I knew he would wake up soon. No matter how long I had to wait, I would be here day or night, rain or shine, giving him all my love and encouraging him to come back to me soon.

 

Hyori

It had been more than three weeks since I met him at Paris Café. I was still disturbed by the proposal he made in return for revenge on Kim Dong Jae. It was very unclear to me how his proposal would work around and attained my objective in the end.

Recalling the conversation that I had with him that evening…

“You…”

“SUPRISE!” He stretched his arms wide open and a smug smile was plastered on his face. “Let’s sit down and discuss our cooperation in our life’s biggest project, shall we?”

He gestured me to sit on a chair opposite him, which I reluctantly acceded to. I was disgusted at the very sight of him but then again, what was there to lose since the outcome of this meeting would benefit me?

“Now Hyori….” He started.

“Please call me Miss Lee. We are not even acquaintance.” I cut him short.

He chuckled with a baleful glint in his eyes, ”Well, Miss Lee, once our brilliant plan is successfully executed, you’ll be begging me to call you ‘Darling’.”

I shuddered with repulsion at the slightest thought of addressing him that. In normal circumstances, I would have thrown hot fluid onto his gruesome face. I was, however, enthralled by what he had in his pocket for the so-called brilliant plan. Instead, I leaned forward, pouting enticingly, “Tell me more.”

He sneered and looked deep into my eyes before he continued, “Marry Hyun Joong.”

 

 

 

 

 

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Bowwow

 

Dont hate me for the last part =P

 

And pls forgive me for the grammatical errors and not so interesting plot here. So Min's 'point of view' are mainly fillers to close the loop of some of the other happenings in earlier chapters.