Failure to Launch

River of No Return

Hyun Joong

 “Just my luck!” I cursed as I tried to remove the stains off my favourite shirt.

Geun Suk leaned against the toilet sink, grimracing, “Why get so upset over a shirt? Just send it to the laundry tomorrow.”

“That’s what I get for trying to help you.” I mumbled, loud enough for him to hear.

“I didn’t ask you to. You barged in voluntarily and started forcing me on her. I’ve told you she’s different from the other girls I have dated.” Geun Suk retorted as he fixed his hair.

Without looking up from my washing, I shook my head disapprovingly.

As if ignoring my disagreement, he continued to sing praises of the greenhorn, “This is the first time I’ve met someone so pure and angelic. My heart beats differently when I first set eyes on her.” He turned around to check if I was listening and continued in a passionate voice, “I could feel it in my bones, I know she is special!”

 “Yea, your special girl just ruined my life.” I looked at my stained shirt and threw it on the sink hopelessly.

“You are making a mountain out of a molehill, bro.” Geun Suk pacified.

I did not feel comforted unfortunately. I had planned to look my best today for I had finally summoned enough courage to approach my ’goddess’ at the year end dinner. And maybe even dance with her. Today will be the day to end my secret love, I encouraged myself. Today, I will tell her how deeply in love I am with for the last three years. But, this incident had caused my already impossible mission impossible. 

“I’m sorry, bro.” He put his arms around my shoulder. After some thought, he commented, “Well, you might have made a little sacrifice for a good cause today.” I looked at him with an agitated look. My sacrifice was much more than he had imagined. “Hyun Joong, don’t look at me as if you want to swallow me alive. I really appreciate what you did. You know I’m going to be away for a business trip in Dubai for two months. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise to make known my feelings for her.”  

“What’s the rush?” I muttered as I dried my shirt under the hand dryer.

He shrugged, “At least, I could advance my move on her before I go, before someone make theirs on her.” He eyed me suspiciously after he finished his sentence.

A genuine hurt expression sprawled across my face, I exclaimed, “Yo Yo… I don’t steal my best friend’s love. Moreover, I hate girls who couldn’t hold their liquor Just look at what she has done to me.” pausing and added, “I already have my goddess in here, remember?” pointing to my heart amorously.

 “You kept helping me in my other confessions, So when will you finally confess to Hyori?”

“I was planning to tonight. But thanks to your girl, I have lost the confidence I had convinced myself of.” I put on the dried shirt and examined myself in dismal in the mirror.

“Oh…now I understand why you are so upset.” Geun Suk replied regretfully as he stared at the dirty brown patch starkly visible on my shirt.