Reporting for Duty

River of No Return

“Mr Kim. Ms Jung is here.” the managing director’s secretary announced as she held the door open for me.

“Ah..Good morning, Ms Jung. I’m happy to have you join us today,” said Mr Kim with his face beaming with sincerity, as he extended his hand for a handshake.

“Good morning, Mr Kim. It’s my honour to be able to contribute to your organization.” reciprocated his firm handshake.

“I believe you have well understood the background of the company through our last interview, so I won’t be going through the detailed induction with you today. My secretary will you to level 10 in a while and you will be introduced to your reporting manager, Mr Lee. You will be assigned a buddy from the same department and he will assist you in learning the ropes of your job for the next 6 months.” Mr Kim leaned back in his chair, looked for any signs of doubt carefully and added, “Do you have anything that you would like to clarify?” 

For a moment, I felt slightly overpowered by his charming presence. Though he looked like he was already in his fifties, his good looks betrayed his actual age.  “No, Mr Kim.” I quickly responded, sensing the longer than needed silence I had created while admiring him.

He rocked forth in his chair and started to punch some numbers on his deskphone, “That’s good. I’ll get my secretary to send you to your floor now.”

Straight after he made the call, his secretary walked in and gestured me to follow her. As we were in the lift, I could not stop sneaking glances at her, a living muse, I thought.

“I’m Hyori.” Her dancing eyes met mine and her beautifully shaped lips curved into a smile. Though not a man, I too could not help melting under her gaze and smile. Blessed with an equally gorgeous body, she had to be the prettiest lady in this company!

“First job?” she asked. I nodded sheepishly. “Our colleagues here are nice people. So, don’t be afraid to ask if you need help.” She shot me another megawatt smile and my heart fluttered. How could any man resist her, I thought.

“I guess for a newcomer here, you will not have anyone to lunch with you. How about I invite myself to be your lunch partner today?” she continued. I looked at her, like a young girl with stars twinkling in my eyes, “Yes! Yes, I would love to..if you don’t mind”

Placing her palm to cover , she laughed at my eagerness. Her laughter was like an angel’s ringing in my ear. She gave a sisterly pat on my shoulder and said, “I don’t have many lunch partners here as people tend to forget about me as I sit all the way up there.”

“You must be joking! How could anyone not have you for lunch?” I slapped my mouth as I realized my blunder. “I mean, AS lunch partner…”

She laughed girlishly again, “It’s ok. I get that all the time, man and woman alike. Oh..we have reached your floor”

Hyori briefly introduced me to Mr Lee and hastily left the room. The bespectacled, middle aged man scanned me 360 degree with piercing eyes and then invited me to sit down. Slightly appalled by his rude stares, I had an urge to gorge those eyes out. After I sat down, he stood up to close the blinds that opened the view of his room to those working outside. I started to feel uncomfortable being alone in the same room with him.

“So, Ms Jung. Tell me about yourself.”  He rested his hands on both my shoulders and started massaging them. I brushed his hands off and stood up immediately to face him, at a safe distance. Glaring at him, I replied “I interviewed for this job and Mr Kim accepted me,”

“Aish..is this the way you treat your boss on your first day of work? I was just giving you a ‘warm’ welcome. Let’s be nice to each other, ok?” he threw to me what seemed like a lecherous smile which caused the hair at the back of my neck stood. He was atrocious, making advances on me in broad daylight, in the office!

“I understand that Mr Lee is a busy man. If there is nothing more that you need to say to me, I would like to be taken to my desk now.”

“Such a feisty young girl.. Good!I need people like you around to hype up the mood here. Ask Ms Chang outside to take you to your desk. You may leave the room now.” He plopped himself back onto his seat and started to make calls on the phone. “Thank you, Mr Lee.” I shut the door behind me, cursing the dirty old man below my breath.  This man had successfully made a horrid impression in a short time frame..a detestable pest that was. And this dirty old man would be my manager throughout my employment here! Seemed like this was the beginning of a rough patch in my career..