Year End Party

River of No Return

“Madam Jung!”

“What is it again? What have you lost now?” Mom peeked out from the kitchen to check on the commotion I was making.

I turned around to ask, “Have you seen my brown dress?”

She walked towards our shared wardrobe, grumbling, “Isn’t it here all the time? There!”

“Thank goodness! This is the only piece I could wear to a formal function.” I scrutinized the sleeve carefully. “I thought the sleeve was torn when I wore it for my graduation party? It looks as good as new”

Mom looked at me proudly, “There’s nothing that your mom couldn’t do.”

“Thanks Mom. You perform miracles!” I tried to kiss her but she ducked away in time. “No no…not this time”

“Come on, Mom. Don’t be shy! We have shared the bed for so many years.” I tried to grab her face to but she slipped away in time to be caught by Aunt Joong Min, who just happened to drop by for a visit.

“So Min, are you bullying your mom again?” Aunt Joong Min asked teasingly.

“I couldn’t love her more.” I walked towards the plump, sweet looking woman to embrace her in a bear hug.

“Well, heard from your Mom that you are going to a company’s party tonight. What are you wearing, my dear?” I smiled at Aunt Joong Min and replied emotionlessly, “Oh, you know..that brown dress.”

“It’s ok dear. It’s not what you wear that brings out your beauty. It’s what you are that brings out the beauty of what you wear. And you, my prettiest baby will shine in whatever you put on,” consoled Aunt Joong Min.

“Joong Min, you are giving her a hat too big for her head”, Mom joked.

I reassured them, “Aww, Mom. Aunt Joong Min is just telling the truth.” The three of us broke into laughter, “Don’t worry, the costume doesn’t really bother me much. I’m contented with what I could afford.” I looked at my watch and realized it was just 1 hour away from the opening of the dinner. “I need to change and run. I’m going to be late.”

Both elder women shook their heads simultaneously and sighed, “Late as usual.”

  * * * * * *

Everyone was already seated at their tables. I approached the table where I was designated to and found Geun Suk sunbae flashing a wide smile when he spotted me coming through the crowd. “Hi, Cinderella. I thought your pumpkin carriage was eaten by mice.”

I reciprocated cheekily, “Well, I have to take an unconventional road cause I didn’t pay road tax for my carriage.”

“You don’t back down that easy, huh? I guess I have met my match in a verbal war,” he quipped with amusement as I giggled victoriously, “Care for a glass of red wine?”  

“Sure,” I replied. Geun Suk sunbae then excused himself to retrieve red wine from the bar. Seconds after he left the table, the lights in the ballroom started to dim. A light was shone at the centre of the stage, directing the audience’s attention to the lady in a red, halter neck dress. The band started to play a tune and the lady in the centre stage slowly raised her head to croon to ‘Girl from Ipanema’. My eyes widened with admiration as I realized that the smooth crooner was none other than Hyori. Her voice was as beautiful as her looks, as sweet as the Sirens. When the song ended, she received a standing ovation for her splendid performance. As I was cheering and whistling loudly for an encore from Hyori, someone slid near and exclaimed into my ear. “She’s beautiful, isn’t she?”

I turned to face the owner of the voice, half expecting that it was Geun Suk sunbae returning with my red wine which he had kindly offered to get. Instead of sunbae whom I was expecting to see, I was staring into the face of an alien.

“Hello, I believed we have not met.”