The Rift Widens...

River of No Return

So Min

I arrived in the office at the usual time that I normally did. Anxiety took over as I had no idea what the day would turn out to be today; of how I would treat Hyori, and whether my longing for Hyun Joong would be answered by hearing any news about him from her.

When I discovered that all Hyun Joong’s table was swept empty; no files, no laptop, no anything; anxiety was replaced with disappointment. And to worsen my distress, I was told that it was Hyori who had requested that Hyun Joong to be on indefinite leave, now that Hyun Joong needed more rest for his recovery.

Why was I not in the least surprised that she had planned all this to happen?

I slouched into my chair and tried not to look at the empty seat opposite with yearning. I guessed I would be facing another colleague from now on. Brushing all negative thoughts aside, I coaxed myself to pin my concentration on what I had to do on my first day back at work today.

It seemed to work for part of the day. The morning was kept busy by attending a few meetings to update the rest of my colleagues on our success in Shenzhen and contacting the necessary parties to follow up on the subsequent execution plans of the agreement with Director Zhang. There were also new projects that were pending for attention upon my return, and so I was browsing through a file when the ringing of my deskphone forced me out of my deep focus.

“Hello, Kim and Lee. This is Jung So Min speaking.”

There was a long pause before finally a voice spoke.

“It’s Hyori.”

I hesitated for a while, reluctant to speak into the phone. I did not hate her but I was envious, jealous that she had what I love, after all the hardships I went through with Hyun Joong. I did not know what had happened after I left the room that morning in Shenzhen and I did not intend to find out for I feared that the details would cut me even deeper.

After sufficient silence that could fill a century, I cleared my throat and spoke, “Hi.”

“Would you like to have lunch with me….like…like how we normally do?”

It was difficult for me to find the right words to say to her, let alone faced her. I admitted defeat that I was emotionally unable to handle a confrontation with her.  I rubbed my temples and shut my eyes, thinking of how I should reject this invitation which I saw coming. “Erm….I’m pretty busy today, you know, it’s my first day at work and I have been away for three weeks.”

On the other end, I could hear her heaved a sigh, that she tried to muffle using her palm probably,  “Yes…I understand. By the way, I just want to let you know that Hyun Joong is resting at home and he won’t return to the office until he recovers…”

“Yes, I know. And I don’t need to know what happened to him” I cut her curtly. “Thank you, Hyori.” I added with sarcasm, groaning over my inability to control my own emotions.

“Ok. I…I thought I should just let you know. Well…ok…call me when you are free to meet for lunch.”

“Sure.” With that, I ended our first conversation. As soon as the line went dead, I felt the impulsive urge to cry again.

Why was I so cold to Hyori?

I should not be jealous of her. I should be happy that she had found love and happiness, shouldn’t I?

After all, she took care of me when I first joined the organisation, didn’t she?

And most importantly, Hyun Joong was alive now. I should be celebrating their union and his second chance in life, but my selfishness did not allow me to graciously do that.

What monster had unrequited love turned me into?

 

Hyori

Slowly placing the phone down, I swallowed hard the lump that had formed in my throat. I was all out to seek redress for the injustice done to me, but I was not prepared to hurt my So Min…the sister I never had the fortune to have. Feeling her coldness on me was as harsh as salt grinding into my already wounded heart, but the moment I agreed to Lee’s pact, I knew that there was no turning back. I needed to be strong for my baby.

I could not let him die in vain…

And now, I could only face the music alone and wished that all this torment could be over soon. After all was done, I would leave Seoul forever and leave my past behind…

…never to see any of them again.

 

Geun Suk

As I walked through the immigration counter, my mind kept quizzing about the reason for my sudden recall from Dubai. The call from Seoul’s office was so brief that I only managed to catch the key message. I did not even have a second to slip in my question and the line went dead.

When I reached the office, I made a beeline towards Mr Lee’s office as I was instructed. To my surprise, Hyori opened the door into Mr Lee’s room. I hardly saw her anywhere near his office in all my years working here. I stared at her, interrogating out loud with my intense gaze of her business right here with Mr Lee. She sensed my curiousity and deliberately looked away.

“Ah, Geun Suk, you are back!” Mr Lee exclaimed, breaking the spell I was under.

“Mr Lee, I shall take my leave.” Hyori hastily spoke, undoubtedly finding this a chance to escape.

I watched as she disappeared through the door and an uneasy feeling climbed up my mind. A day’s flight on the plane but the lethargy did not manage to cloud my mind from the arousing suspicion. I smelled a rat but I did not know where to put my finger.

“Geun Suk, now that you are back,” Mr Lee’s voice brought me back to reality, “I need you to take over Hyun Joong’s portfolio for a few months.”

“Hyun Joong? What happened to Hyun Joong? Did he resign?” I asked with genuine concern.

“He met with an accident and needs some time to recuperate. So now, please take care of all his projects.” He straightened his jacket, stood up and got ready to leave the room. He turned around and added absent mindedly, “…and yeah…please supervise So Min.”

At the mention of So Min’s name, my exhausted mind leapt with elation.

That would be my ultimate solace to take up additional work

So Min, I have returned to you.. 

My So Min…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bowwow

HI everyone. Thanks for leaving your comments and your continued interest in this story. It's been a while. This chapter was written in 15 mins as I just feel that I need to update something. So, there is not too much depth here. I only wanted to convey a few things for this chap:

1) The sisterhood between So Min and Hyori is deteriorating and is involuntary. Both are struggling emotionally.

2) Hyori is not a bad person. Thanks kyle_16 for pointing this out. She just has another priority in life though she treasures So Min and she knows that a 'sister' like So Min is a gift to her. But seeking revenge definitely tops over the relationship that she had forged with So Min. Will she learn that sacrificing this relationship is worth it? Is revenge always sweet?

3) Hey, Geun Suk is back! Will So Min choose Geun Suk because he is there for her in her most despair? Perhaps...