Three's a Crowd

River of No Return

So Min

“Jerk…” I muttered under my breath so that only I could hear it.  ‘Jerk’ was perhaps a name too sparing to be called on him. But that was as far as I could convinced myself to address him by. I was not a mean person; I hardly hate anyone, but THIS Hyun Joong sunbae had driven me to my limits, to have no choice but to hate him. I still could not understand why he was doing this to me..It’s only a shirt I have stained, but he was taking vengeance as if I murdered his whole family! I was a tad exaggerative, but  it only reflected the extent of my exasperation of him.

 

If only I could highlight his erted treatment to someone who then would take corrective actions on him..

 

But then again, who would believe me! I was a newbie to the company and most probably, I would be accused of skiving and shifting the blame to my senior. I definitely would not bring this to Mr Lee too as I jolly well know that he would expect a ‘favor’ from me for a favor from him.

 

All these meaningless tasks were sapping my energy and high morale away slowly. Gravely, I didn’t know when I would snap…

 

“So Min…”

 

I turned around to find Geun Suk at the doorway of the pantry. I bit my lips with guilt for the dozens of calls and long list of messages that I owed him. I had almost forgotten that he existed during my days of running around like an insane woman, performing the zillion tasks that Hyun Joong sunbae had instructed to do. He somewhat looked happy and worried at the same time, which I admired with awe at how he could combined both expressions so beautifully on his face simultaneously.

 

“Have you been stalking me?” I enquired with a fake annoyed look. I decided to turn the tables onto him so as to save myself from explaining myself on the messages and phone calls.

 

“I..I’m sorry. I was not trying to tail you. I’m just…,er…” He stammered as he ran his fingers through his silky hair and fidgeted unsteadily, not knowing where to place his hands and eyes.

 

For the first time of the week, I broke into earnest laughter. It was very amusing to see him reacting like a young boy who was just caught red handed stealing cookies from a jar.  And all I did to trigger that was simply asking if he was following me.

 

Geun Suk watched with silent joy as I rocked back and forth with laughter. “Seeing you like this has certainly erased all my worries. Your laughter are like chimes that ring melodiously in my ears. I would trade a lifetime just so that you could be this happy every second.”

 

I stopped laughing and brought my eyes to meet his. No one had ever uttered such sweet words to me. For a brief second that felt like eternity, he held me captive with his gaze that betrayed of his longing for me. Then, he reached out for my hand and held it to his lips. I was tempted to claim back my hand, but my conscience beat me against the cruel idea for someone who had just proclaimed such great love for me.

 

“So Min, I’m going to miss you very, very much. I didn’t know what you have done to me. The past few days without you, I nearly went crazy. I didn’t know it could be so much suffering not seeing you. And I really don’t know how I could survive through my two months away in Dubai. Probably Hyun Joong is right. You have casted a spell on me.”

 

Part of me was deeply touched by his declaration, another part of me squirmed with awkwardness. The only words that escaped my lips were, “Are you serious?”  

 

Geun Suk

 

I blinked at her, unbelieving of what she has just said. I imagined that this situation could be romantic; she would embrace me and looked at me with tenderness, and then proclaimed, “Geun Suk, you are my only love. Please don’t go! Stay with me and we’ll get married tomorrow.” And then, we would seal our love with a kiss.

 

But what she said was so anti ed! Did she understand how much I love her? Had this lady ever experienced what it was to love and to long for someone? Judging from her open mouth and raised eyebrows, it came to my realization that she was clueless about the depth of my feelings for her.  But it was also a fresh experience for me. I knew from the start she was different. It meant that I had to work doubly hard to win her heart.

 

“Why are you smiling like an idiot?” Sharp with her choice of words, she was now staring at me, puzzled probably by the change in my shocked to smiling face.

 

“Nothing. You are interesting.” I glanced at her with a resigned look of exhilaration.

 

“Tsk…trying to sweet talk again. You got to try harder than this to move me.” As she said this, she playfully reclaimed her hand from my clutches.

 

‘She spoke my exact sentiments. Yes, I need to do more than just sweet talks.’

 

“You are absolutely right. How about giving me a chance to try by letting me buy you lunch today?”

 

She pondered a while and then cheerfully said ok.

 

“I’ll see you at the Italian restaurant down the road at 12 pm then.” I urged her to link her little finger with mine. “It’s a deal. Whoever doesn’t turn up will be punished.”

 

So Min beamed and encircled her little finger with mine, “Deal”. She turned away after that and looked back again, bearing a saccharine sweet smile for me before she left the pantry.

 

My heart fluttered when she smiled like that. Finally, I had gotten a date with her! Though it was just lunch during office hours, I would die a happy man to have one hour alone with her.

 

Scene: Lunch, 12.20pm

 

Geun Suk

 

I attacked at the peas on my plate grudgingly with my fork. I set my sight on So Min, and then lazily shifted my view to the other person seated beside her. They were both chatting continuously as if I was transparent. I thought I would be having lunch with So Min. Unknowingly, the disappointment translated into a loud sigh heard by them.

“Sorry, Geun Suk. We got too caught up with our women’s talk. Are you bored?” Hyori asked with seemingly concern. 

 

“Uhm..no..nothing like that. My jaw just got tired chewing on these peas.” I showed them the five beautifully peas decorated across my fork and popped them into my mouth.

 

Hyori then tried to start a conversation with me. “So Min said that you would be leaving next Monday for a business trip. Have you prepared everything?”

 

Sure, everything was all done. I just hope to spend a real lunch date with So Min before I leave. To my disappointment, Hyori had to tag along and ruined my plans. When I saw them approaching arm in arm, I quickly shoved the bouquet of flowers that I had wanted to shower So Min with underneath the table. This was the first bouquet of flowers that I had bought for anyone and it would not reach the hands of the receiver unfortunately.  I did not know the reason of my doing as I was always the one who received flowers from other women. Now, sitting on the other side of the fence, I truly salute them who had shamelessly carried a large bouquet across roads, bearing strange stares as they passed pedestrians, until it reached the hands of the intended person.

 

“Yes, I have packed everything.” Except my heart, I added silently. “I’m ready to depart on Monday morning.”

 

“Is anyone seeing you off at the airport?” So Min checked.

 

“No, I’m going alone.”

 

She continued, “So pitiful! I had never left Korea for work or for leisure. But I could imagine leaving alone when there’s no one to send you off must be really lonely. Do you mind if I go with you to the airport?”

 

My eyes sparkled with delight and I was about to say ‘Yes, I would love to’  and then….

 

“Don’t be silly, So Min. You need to work on Monday.” Hyori cut in. “It is not the first time Geun Suk goes on an oversea trip. He is used to going to the airport alone, isn’t it, Geun Suk?” She looked to me for concurrence.

 

I stared at Hyori with disapproval. Why is she answering on my behalf, I funed. I looked down in defeat, acknowledging the truth in her words. “Hyori is right. I go in and out of Korea all the time.”

 

So Min mimed an ‘Oh’ and took a sip of water from her glass. Meanwhile, Hyori glimpsed at her watch and exclaimed, “My, my. Look at the time now! We better get going, So Min. We need to stop by the magazine stand on our way back, remember?” She picked up her coat from the chair and dragged So Min along. So Min choked on her water and quickly grabbed her handbag.

 

Both ladies sauntered quickly from their seat. So Min suddenly turned around, chirped cheerfully. “Thanks for the sumptuous meal, Geun Suk.. Take care while you are in Dubai.”

 

These were her only few words that I would reminisced dearly for the next two months, I sighed deeply. 

 

Hyori too bidded me ‘Bon Voyage’ and thanked me for the lunch too and then off they went, leaving me to foot the exorbitant bill for THREE.

 

Well, so much for my wish for time alone with So Min before my departure.

 

But all was not lost yet. I believed good things come to those who wait patiently.