I'll be here when you wake up.....

River of No Return

Bowwow

Dear friends/ subscribers/ silent readers,

 

Sorry for the long hiatus. My colleague, who i will simply address as XQ here (yes, she is the one I wrote 'Home...is where the Heart is' as her birthday present), reminded me that River of No Return is at its 1st anniversary this month. She and I could not believe that we have been following this story for a year. At the same time, I'm also thankful for everyone here who have been supporting this story for a whole year and leaving your valueable comments that spurred me on to continue. Lots and lots of thanks and love to all!

One year on, and I'm at the 33rd chapter. I hope to finish this before the 2nd anniversary though, because I also really want to read the end.

This is chapter 33. I have problems starting this chapter as I could hardly remember what happened in the last chapter that I updated, and also because I'm suffering from withdrawal symptoms of 'Home...is where the Heart is.' I'm not sure if you also have issues with recalling what was in chapter 32 or even further back. If you have the same problem as me. I recommend that you read a few chapters back before starting on this, so that the flow of the story connects.

 

Happy reading!!!

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

So Min

Knock…Knock…..

I opened my eyes groggily. It sounded like someone was at the door. I approached to open the door leading into the room, wondering who could it be this early in the morning.

“So Min!”

I gulped in shock as the figure at the door flung herself at me as soon as the door was wide enough to allow her to seep in.

I finally found my voice after the shock, “Hyori, why are you here?”

“Mr Kim sent me to fetch you and Hyun Joong back to Seoul,” Hyori explained. “He thought that it would be more convenient that Hyun Joong seeks medical attention on homeground. So, here I am to help you with all the administrative and financial matters before our return.”

“I…I wasn’t informed…..” I stuttered, thinking about all the possibilities that the company could have told me timelier about this arrangement in telephone conversation two days ago.

She hastily added, “I was also informed yesterday afternoon. And then, I was sent on the plane half an hour after that.”

I simply nodded, partly still recovering from the shock of Hyori’s sudden appearance, and partly disappointed that the days for Hyun Joong and I to be alone were over.

“How is he?”

I shook my head in response. “Still in coma. It’s been three weeks.”

Hyori placed her hands comfortingly on my shoulder, “It must have been hard on you to have stayed here all this while. Come, let’s pack up and go home.”

Obediently, I did as Hyori instructed. Maybe it was really better that we go home. I missed Mom and I guessed Hyun Joong would recover faster back home.      

When Hyori was not looking, I quickly peck Hyun Joong on his mouth and whispered, “Sleep well, we are going home.”

 

Hyori

I looked on as So Min busied herself with hers and Hyun Joong’s belongings. I could feel her unwillingness to leave but for reasons I could not comprehend. Her mind was distant from her actions, as if she was flustered over my presence. I tried to brush off my oversensitivity but I could not escape the guilt I felt for being here with an unspeakable mission in the first place.

I watched cautiously as So Min bent over Hyun Joong’s sleeping body to whisper something in his ear. It did not occur to me that I was actually trying to eavesdrop on her conversation with the unconscious. That was the aftermath of the proposal made at Café Paris that had transformed the extra attention I had towards everything that concerned Hyun Joong.

I was startled when she turned to me abruptly, “I should let the doctor know that we are leaving and do the necessary procedures.” She glanced at Hyun Joong and then requested, “Could you erm….look after him for awhile, while I look for the doctor?”

“Okay.” I cheerfully replied. I followed So Min’s frail body as she left the room, looking listless and lost.

Shifting my gaze to Hyun Joong on the bed, my mind wandered back to my conversation in the café two days ago.

 

“WHAT?” The coffee I was sipping fell from my hands and onto the floor, creating splashes that stained my red Ferragamo stilletos.


“My dear, this shouldn’t be a task you couldn’t handle.”

Shooting him a stern look, “Mr Lee, you must be mistaken. I don’t trade with my body. And I may not be Hyun Joong’s cup of tea.”

“I don’t make mistakes.” He replied confidently. “I have been observing the boy in the office. I had seen how he looks at you whenever you pass him by. He’s definitely infatuated with you.”

Shocked, I tried to search my memory for any close encounters with Hyun Joong. Truthfully, I had never noticed him until he became So Min’s sunbae.  And now to think that I had to seduce and marry him…..

“Why HIM? And what have you against your brother-in-law to want him to falter?”

Mr Lee reached for the pocket in his coat and withdrew a piece of paper. He handed the paper to me, “Here is a signed checked for USD1 million. This is only the first payment. This is the deal: you hook him up, get him to marry you and then dump him at the altar. It’s that simple. And after that, I’d pay you another 2 million.”

“Well, that is a lot of money. But then, you are not answering my question.” I clarified, impatience slowly irking my self-control.

“I pay you enough not to ask any questions,” he said conceitedly

Recognizing my doubts, he put in one huge effort to convince me into accepting the deal, “There’s no need for you to know the details of this plan. I will handle the rest. This is a win-win situation. You get your revenge and I’ll get what I want. I promised you that Kim Dong Jae would suffer a life worse than death. It’s time blood will be paid by blood.”

Yes! I had waited long enough! I might not know how Lee’s plan would pan out but the critical point is, he promised me revenge. Whatever it might take, even my life, I would do anything to see his downfall.

I stared at him with hatred burning through my eyes. “Yes, it’s a deal.”

 

Coincidentally, two days later, Kim Dong Jae called me to his room and entrusted me with the task to bring back the two staffs to Seoul.

And now here I was, studying Hyun Joong as I devised on how I should start my advances on him once he woke up.

 

Hyun Joong

“I’ll be here when you wake up…”

The voice kept ringing in my ears.

I desperately wanted to know who this beautiful female voice belonged to.

This voice that filled me with overflowing reasons to live on.

She must be the love of my life.

I struggled to move my hands and my legs. It was not as easy as I thought. I tried to gather all my strength to lift up my eyelids but they were so heavy as if they alloys welded together by high temperature. It felt like trying to break free from a coffin buried deep underground. 

Then, the voice came to me again.

This time, all determination to wake up had become domineering.

My heart began to pound faster and faster, sending surges of energy through my muscle and limbs. I could feel my fingers and feet responding to the messages from my brain. I could feel them twitching. My eyes were starting to feel less heavy and I could feel them fluttering as I tried to pry them open.

I could hear some faint noises at the background. My breathing became more regular and slowly, I could sense light entering my eyes. The introduction of the foreign glow hurt my eyes bad but…

….I am finally free from being imprisoned in my own body!

My head started to hurt. I winced in pain as my fingers tried to find its way to my temples.

 

“You are awake! You have finally come through!”

Still adjusting to the light, I searched for the voice. And then I found it.

 She is beautiful………

“Can you manage?” she assisted as I fought to sit up. Though I could move my body, I realized that I lacked strength. Not only that, I also realized that a big piece of me was missing.

Who am I?

“Who are you?” I asked.

She looked at me, bewildered, “Don’t you remember me? I’m Hyori.”

‘I’ll be here when you wake up….’

There is no one else in the room except her with me.

It must be her!

She must be the voice that I had been hearing………………..

My savior...

The love of my life.