In the Jetty

River of No Return

Hyun Joong

Exactly as the kind e had described, I reached a jetty where access was restricted. There were no directional signs to this place, neither was there any signboard at the obscure entrance. Its façade clearly screamed out that by-passers should steer clear of this place unless unfavorable consequences were desired.

I did not know how I had arrived here. Guided by an unexplainable compass in my mind and an inner ethereal voice, I took the nooks and turns and finally set foot on this god forsaken jetty.

Remembering that the people that I would be facing might be wanted criminals, I entered the area cautiously and started my frantic search for Jinx Girl. It did not take long before I heard her unmistakable cry for help. I trailed quietly towards the direction where the sound came from.

And then I spotted them.  

Two beefy looking men were holding down Jinx Girl to the floor.

I held my position behind an abandoned hut at about a hundred metres from where they were. Jinx Girl admirably did not lose her immense fortitude to wring free from their hold, until one of the men extricated a pistol from his pants and hit her from behind. She fell to the ground, motionless.

My heart thundered with exasperation.  Was she dead? 

“Cheng, she fainted.” The mustachioed man with long hair pacified my fear in mandarin after checking for signs of breathing on the unconscious girl.

Fortunately from where I was concealed, I could eavesdrop clearly on their conversation. I decided to stay put so that I could decipher their next steps and react accordingly.

“She sure is feisty. I hurt my old wound while trying to hold her still.” His bald accomplice, Cheng, complained while rubbing his shoulder.

I smiled at his remark, oddly feeling proud at this moment that Jinx Girl had put up a good fight.

“I like feisty girls. How desperately do I desire to ravage her first before we hand her over to Big Brother.”  The long-haired man his lips, and bent down to cup Jinx Girl’s face roughly with one hand. “She is a beauty, Hua. A rare untouched one... She would fetch a lot per session, I’m sure.”

“A , you mean. Why don’t we taste her ourselves now?” Hua, as the man with long hair had addressed him by, suggested with lust evident in his voice. 

NO! I couldn’t let that happen! I looked around for a weapon, anything that I could use to defend myself and attack the thugs. My eyes fell upon a long iron rod, that I swiftly grabbed onto and held it tightly against my chest. I was prepared to charge at them even though my only weapon was useless against their guns.

“We still have a lot to do today, idiot!” Cheng scolded. Then, he sniggered slyly. “We still have her all to ourselves till tomorrow though.”

My hold on the iron rod loosened, slightly relieved that they would not do anything to her at this moment.

“Ah…We’ll have her tonight as supper when she wakes up. It’s always a more fulfilling conquest when the prey struggles.” Hua agreed. “What should we do now, Cheng?”

“Tie her up.” Cheng examined the area and then pointed to the direction of the hut, where I was hidden behind.

I gasped and tightened my grasp on the rod as I pressed my back firmly against the wall, praying that they had not exposed my safe haven.

“Let’s dump her in the shack there while we continue with our job. Then, tonight..” Cheng tilted Jinx Girl chin up with his fingers “..I will show you my power, my sleeping beauty.” He laughed sinisterly and released his hold as her head bobbed down from his release.

My body shook, not with fear, but with anger. “You will not lay your dirty hands on her, bastard!” gnashing my teeth as I hissed.