A Love Confession

River of No Return

“Who are you?” I quizzed, staring at him suspiciously. I thought I had met everyone in the office. Could he be a party crasher?

“I’m Kim Hyun Joong.”

Kim Hyun Joong…? That name rang a bell. Where have I heard of that name?

Suddenly, it struck me. This is the name of the person whose empty seat was opposite mine!

“Hi. You are back! I’m so glad to see you!” I exclaimed elatedly.

He blinked his eyes blankly, then grinned, “I have no idea I am so missed by someone who meet me for the first time. I am honoured!”  Extending his hand to mine, he continued, “By the way, you have not told me your name.”

He must have thought I looked and sounded dumb! Regaining my composure, I took his extended hand in mine, “Call me So Min.”

“I was asking Geun Suk at the bar table if my understudy is here. He told me to look for an adorable young lady here. I must say, Geun Suk has a pleasant impression of you.” He emphasized the word ‘Pleasant’ as if there were some hidden meanings in it. “He had been telling me endlessly wonderful things about you. What do you think of him..Geun Suk? Passed?”

I nearly choked on the water I was drinking, “What do you mean by ‘Passed’?”

Hyun Joong sunbae looked at me, smirking with amusement, “You know…I think Geun Suk holds a torch for you. Do you like him?”

Is this Geun Suk sunbae’s confession through Hyun Joong sunbae? Unknowingly, fear began to grip my heart making it difficult to breath.

Though I had suspected Geun Suk sunbae’s ‘extra’ treatment towards me might exceed that of an acquaintance, I had avoided confirming or even debating about any possibility of his interest in me. Perhaps, a romantic relationship had always been considered a taboo to me. I had never been seen close to boys, not to mention romantically linked to anyone throughout my schooling days. Girls had mistaken me as a lesbian and boys misunderstood that I played hard to get. The truth was, I abstained from these relationships to channel all my concentration in my studies.

“So?” He cocked his head to one side, eyes twinkling inquisitively.

My face turned red as a tomato, even though I did not wear any blusher. I put my hands to my face, fearing that he would see my blushed cheeks. From his mischievious grin, unfortunately, I realised it was a little too late.

 “I..I…”stammered. It was weird that I could answer the most difficult mathematical questions, but I was tongued tied when it came to this. It was just a simple yes or no! My eyes started roaming around for Hyori, or someone I know, hoping that he or she could get me out of this awkward situation.

“Seems like you both hit off well” Geun Suk sunbae approached us with two glasses of red wine in his hands. My tensed muscles loosened slightly but not too relieved that the interceptor turned out to be him.

“My brother, we were just talking about you.” Hyun Joong sunbae reached out to take the glasses from Geun Suk sunbae. Geuk Suk sunbae smiled, “Is it? What were you talking about?”

“Oh..Just telling So Min how lucky she was to have you around for the past five days.” Hyun Joong sunbae took a sip from his glass before passing the other glass to me. I bit my lips, hoping that I could seep into the ground that moment. Dreading how the conversation would further unfold, I downed the whole glass of red wine in a gulp.

Geun Suk sunbae looked down with a seemingly shy smile, “I..ehm..guess I just follow my heart” He looked up at Hyun Joong sunbae, “Are you jealous I made my move on your understudy?”

My cheeks were getting redder.

Hyun Joong sunbae burst into laughter, “Me? Of course not. I am more than happy that you took care of So Min. My way of thanking you, lunch next Monday is on me,” patted his chest twice. He turned to me and asked, “Would you like to join us next Monday? It would be a great honour for Geun Suk to have lunch with you.”

Geun Suk his lips and gazed at me with loving eyes, “May I have a chance?”

The room became increasingly hot and the nauseating feeling started to mount. Unable to control the built up discomfort in me, I decided to let it all go.

“! My shirt!” Hyun Joong sunbae yelled as my undigested lunch were hurled into his direction.

My stream of vomit on Hyun Joong sunbae began to create a commotion in the ballroom. Embarassed, I immediately took flight without even making an apology.

“If you can’t hold your liquor well, don’t drink!” I could hear Hyun Joong sunbae shouting after me menacingly.

 As soon as I walked into the restroom, I started to take deep, long breaths. I was surprisingly glad that the vomit scene came so timely. Bending over the sink with my hair held back, I dug my throat to release the remaining discomfort. 

After I was done, I looked up at my pathetic face in the mirror. Why did I react this way? A confession was supposed to feel good, isn’t it?  Strangely, it did not feel the same as what I have read in romance novels. My head was spinning from the alcohol and I could no longer interpret what my heart and mind were trying to tell me. All I wanted now was to go home.