Just an Understudy?

River of No Return

 So Min

“She was JUST your understudy.”

We both turned around to find Hyori standing behind us with a water pitcher and two glasses on a tray.

JUST an understudy?

Those words kept reverberating in my ears as if they were reflected off a valley of mountains with resounding echo.

She placed the tray on the coffee table that separated Hyun Joong and me before handing the glasses to both of us.

“My dear Hyun Joong, There was nothing much to talk about So Min’s short working stint under you. So, stop asking more questions and drink your medicine now, ok?” She added curtly.

I stared at her. Her frivolous comments sounded so surreal to me even in my most waking moment.

She knew about what happened in Shenzhen! The kidnapping incident that had become the talk of the organization! The ordeal that Hyun Joong and I had went through!

That incident was the whole reason Hyun Joong had lost his memory now!

…lost his memory because he risked his life to save me….I thought sadly.

And that kiss that was unknown to anyone but still deeply embedded in a safe corner in my memory…

How could there be nothing to talk about?

How could she?

How could she underestimate what Hyun Joong and I had been through?

How could she paint what Hyun Joong and I had gone through so simplistically?

What was her motive to leave out all those important facts?

 

Hyun Joong

It was already 11pm when I completed my nightly jog on my treadmill. As cold water from the shower did its splendor on my exhausted body, I could not help thinking about what happened this afternoon.

Meeting So Min today regenerated a new energy in me, as though some burdens that had been weighing me down had been lifted off my shoulder. Strangely, I felt comfortable with her immediately, unlike my first meeting with Geun Suk…and unlike the doubts that I had for Hyori the more I got to know her.

I plonked onto the soft bed below me and stared at the ceiling above me.

JUST an Understudy…..

Hmmph…Sounds like an understatement…

So Min…”

I murmured the name as if it was the most natural thing to do. I closed my eyes and her face appeared before me. Unknowingly, my lips curved into a tight smile at the very thought of her and my heart danced to a little tune playing in my mind. I only allowed myself to savor the moment for a few seconds before guilt of betraying Hyori crept into my conscience. I gave myself a tight slap mentally for having thoughts of another woman.  How could I have such sinful feelings for another when I had already promised Hyori my love, I scolded. I should not cheat on her, especially over the fact that I owed her my life.

However, still surprised at how So Min’s existence could suddenly dominate my mind, I questioned about my possible past with her. Conjecture told me that she was a very important piece to the missing puzzles in my life, hence my strong determination to get closer to her. Nonetheless, I had to do it without interference from Hyori, who had taken part in every part of my life since my return. I looked to the jade pendant hanging around my neck through the mirror, irrationally seeking its guidance. As if in response to my plea, it shed its glorious shade in my eyes and an idea hit me that instant.

Immediately after toweling myself dry, I picked up the phone and punched the number of the only person whom I knew could help me through.

“I need your help.”

 

 

Hyori

The edgy feeling kept badgering my attention from my work when I recalled what happened at Hyun Joong’s home yesterday.

That was too close!

Why did So Min had dto appear before him yesterday? Three months…three months I had stayed closed to Hyun Joong to ensure that he would be disengaged from anyone who could remind him of his past, with the exception of Geun Suk, as he was of little threat to me since he had been away for a while. And for these three months, I had been pulverized by fear and guilt that So Min might spoil my plan.

I had to speak to So Min. I had to tell her to never visit Hyun Joong again. Whatever means I used, whether by threat or even if I have to go down on my knees to beg her, I needed to ask her to steer clear of Hyun Joong. I had to think of a good reason to justify my request.

When I thought I had just the right words to use on her, I took off from my desk towards So Min’s office. I entered the lift and pressed the level I was heading to with trembling fingers. I tried to stop the shaking by slamming my fingers against the lift buttons. The security guard who was watching the camera must thought me a lunatic but I did not care.  It had been nerve wrecking for the past months and what I was going to enact today might end my friendship with So Min once and for all, even though I dreaded to do so. Yet, our friendship had to be sacrificed for the benefit of the ‘big picture’ to be successful.

I needed to execute this fast before I had second thoughts. I presumed that I needed to wait a while before she turned up for work and that unfortunately would increase my doubt. Fortunately, heaven was on my side when I saw her trying to gain entry into her office as the lift door opened. I walked out of the lift slowly, taking in deep breaths as I approached nearer.

I’m sorry, So Min. I had said this umpteen times but not to you. And this would not be the last time either. I would be sorry to you throughout my life but my dear friend, I wished I could tell you the plight that I was currently in.

My dear friend, I knew you would hate me. But I still love you as my friend.

But not as much as my love for my child.

 

So Min

I dragged myself to the office again lazily as I had not been able to sleep again last night. A mixture of anger at Hyori’s behavior, and joy of seeing Hyun Joong again had kept me awake most of the night. I only managed to catch a few winks before it was time to rise for work again.

I was looking down at the floor the moment I walked into the main entrance of the office building, into and out of the lift, and then onto the level where my working cubicle was. After scanning my staff pass for entry into the office, I was about to pull the door open when someone cut in and offered to lend a hand instead.

“Allow me…”

  

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Bowwow

Happy New Year, everyone! Sorry, I know my new year greetings come in really really belated but I'm very sincere about putting the 'HAPPY" in your 2013. How did you celebrate your new year? I'm sure everyone here would have a fair share of exciting and interesting events over the last day of 2012. And of course, new year resolutions to achieve in this new year!

For me, I hope to complete this story before end 2013 and able to start off with a new one. There are many storyboards in my mind but I just couldn't be so irresponsible to slow down the speed of updating RONR (i'm already very slow, I know. Pardon me, pls) and go ahead to start off a new one.

What do you think? what will happen next? Again, i'm trying to emphasize that Hyori is not evil and that she's driven by circumstances. Do you think she's being used too?

Geez...i think fatigue into late nights is causing me to spout nonsense and the sluggish chapter. I think I should go to bed soon. Haha!

*Forgive me for bad grammar or tenses, pls*

Anyway, hope you would enjoy this update. LOVE YA! *Muack Muack*