Love is Pain, Pain is Love

River of No Return

Hyun Joong

Her gaze fell to the ground, as if unable to look me in the eyes. I tightened my grip on her arms, pushing myself to believe that she did not mean what she said.

“Why? So Min, why? Don’t you feel anything for me?”

She remained tight-lipped and only shook her head vigorously.

Lifting her chin, I brought her eyes to meet mine. There was nothing I could see except for suffering wallowing through her corneas. I held her firmly against my chest in my desperate attempt to shake off her agony.

 “Is it because of Geun Suk? Or is it Hyori?”

I felt her trembling in my embrace but there was nothing I could think to undo the pain entrapping her.

“We could work this out! I will talk to Hyori and you could do the same with Geun Suk. It’s that simple, right?”

She swallowed the trail of brined water trickling down the edge of .  And that was when she said the words that insensate any feeling of hope.

It was no use at all. She believed everything that Hyori told her.

She did not even bother to ask me for an explanation.

She did not have the courage to love me at all.

 

Hyori

I watched them from afar. There were seconds that I wanted stop them leaving the bar counter, or when they held each other on the dance floor. I had to stop myself before my impulsiveness could ruin the grand plan.

I watched quietly through the crowd as So Min pushed Hyun Joong apart when the song ended.

I grinned. My plan had worked.

There was no baby at all.

Hyun Joong knew this too. He would find out that I was lying. But it did not matter now.

What mattered most was So Min took the bait. And that solved the immediate problem.

My grin widened when So Min left in tears. I did not flinch a muscle still when Hyun Joong dropped to the floor in despair.

I tasted victory at the tip of my tongue, and the sensation slipped down my throat as refreshing as spring water from the mountains.

But the feeling did not reach my heart. No matter how the pure the water was, it seemed that nothing could cleanse the bitterness that clenched tighter with its every beat.

 

Geun Suk

When I saw them in each other’s arms, my whole body went numb. I did not know how to react.

My worst fear had become a reality.

The fear that someone would take So Min from me.

I was upset that she lied to me.

I was angry that she betrayed me.

I was frustrated that I did not have the will to keep her by my side

I was even angrier that the other guy had to be Hyun Joong. It was a harder stab in my heart when it was my good friend in the picture

I told myself I could watch them no more and I had to leave. But an inner voice was telling me to go forward and fight for what was rightfully mine.

Before a conclusion was made, I noticed So Min leaving hurriedly. I hesitated no more and quickly traced her footsteps. Even though I could not see clearly what had happened back there, I knew intuitively she was in terrible pain.

 

So Min

“Hyori is carrying your child.

It’s never that simple.

I ’m sorry, Hyun Joong.“

Please forgive me. I could not allow you to commit a grave mistake.

I wriggled out of the arms that I yearned to hold and rushed off. Once again, my mind was blank and I was cringing in pain, just like that stormy day at the hospital after I witnessed Hyori in Hyun Joong’s embrace. I did not care when my path ahead led me to as I kept running away from reality.

This was the second time I was running away.

This was too much for me to endure anymore. 

I had been so happy being with Hyun Joong two days ago. I even thought that my prayers had been answered. My conscience reminded me of Geun Suk and Hyori, and that was when I realized that all this while, I had been selfish to claim Hyun Joong as my own. I need to put a stop to it before I fell too deep.

Hadn’t I fallen deep enough now? Was there any way I could escape before bringing more harm to everyone around me?

Hyun Joong…

Geun Suk…

Hyori…

All of them are victims of my selfish desires.

Halting by the side of the highway, I knelt down and started sobbing uncontrollably.

This was so painful! It was too painful!

I need to stop things from getting worse. I need to… I need to…I need to…

My eyes was fastened at the highway swallowed by fog ahead of me.

There and then, all I could think of ending this suffering was…

…was ending my existence once and for all.

 

 

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Bowwow.

 

Dear friends and new subscribers. Thanks for reading RONR and continue to give it support.

And really really really sorry for the long silence. I was taking a break from this story as I was at a loss of how the story should unfold to move on towards the ending. It had gotten more complicated than when I started out. But I think i have sorted my thoughts now and so would continue writing as and when I have the time. And just to pre empt you that my months ahead could be pretty busy =p, so update will be slow. I know you will hate me for this. So I'm apologising in advance. SORRY!!!

For this chapter, I'm leaving it as it is now. It is to your imagination of what would happen next! CIAO and see you in the next chappy!