Showtime!

River of No Return

So Min

“So Min.”

I spun around in response to his call. “Yeah?”

“I’m going to buy a drink from the 7-Eleven over there. Stay here and wait for me.” I nodded and he retraced his steps back to the bend we just turned out from.

 

Hyun Joong

Walking leisurely away from Jinx Girl, I looked back to briefly check if she was still looking intently in my direction. Once her sight wandered away from my retreating back, I swiftly ducked into one of the run down cafes by the roadside. I took up a table near a row of potted plants that faced the direction where Jinx Girl was standing. To my relief, this cafe that I chanced upon not only provided a good hiding place for me, it also gave me a good view of her without being discovered.

An old waiter approached to take my order in mandarin. Luckily for me, my upbringing in the states, where thousands of foreigners flocked in in search of the gold at the rainbow’s end, had brought me into contact with many mandarin speaking immigrants. Through them, I learnt conversational mandarin and this skill enabled my reply to the waiter in his native language with ease. He shouted my order to the kitchen staff and disappeared to clear the used cups at another table behind me.

Hidden behind the plants, I sneaked glances at Jinx Girl who had started to fidget uncomfortably at being left alone. She seemed to have realised how exposed she was to roving eyes of men with naughty intentions and appeared anxious for my return. I enveloped my giggles in my palm as I basked in excitement, knowing that at this time and at this moment, my revenge plan had started to take form in the fear apparent on her face. My plan encompassed the scenario when a man or two would mistake her for a e and harassed her for her asking price, or something like that. This should be sufficient to scare her out of her wits. Of course, it was not my intent that she would be harmed physically in the process. If anyone was to lift a finger to abuse her, I would dashed in to save her. 

This is going to be fun, I told myself.

 

So Min

I watched intently as Sunbae strolled up the path we had taken just now.

“CRAZY OLD MAN! If you have no money, don’t fool around here!”

An angry voice distracted my attention to my left. The voice belonged to a woman in her mid thirties looked like she was hurling abusive words at a man who seemed equally frustrated with the uncompromising situation. It made me wonder what misunderstanding they could be involved in to result in this brawl.  

I diverted my attention back to Sunbae.

To my horror, I had lost him! I did not know which direction he had turned into although he stated that he was going to a 7-Eleven that we passed by just now. However, as far as I remembered, I did not see any 7-Eleven along the way. I could have failed to notice the existence of the store while trying to catch up with Sunbae earlier.      

It was only when I was alone that I started to take in my surroundings. Women in revealing clothes were staring at me with odd expressions and men were scanning me up and down lecherously as they walked past.

I began to feel unsafe under the gazes of these people. I hugged the files tightly to my chest and regretted wearing a short, tight skirt today. I should be able to flee for my life faster had I worn pants today.

What is this place?

Nervously, I waited patiently for Sunbae to return. For almost fifteen minutes that felt like eternity, I stood at the same spot, pining to see Sunbae’s face soon. I knew that I could have called him, but I did not do so for it was not my wish to interrupt whatever business he was undertaking.

I was starting to crack mentally under the continuous stares of the people around me. I could not comprehend the significance behind those inquisitive eyes, but I know surely that they were not intended to be friendly.

Then, I saw two men approaching. Instinctively, something in me nudged disturbingly that they were here for me, and I could not guess their ulterior motives. A voice in my mind urged me to run, but my muscles had tensed up against my will and froze me in my position. The need to dethaw the rigidness in my body was calling out urgently but the fear that gripped my senses failed to obey the messages in my neuron.

Perspiration were forming on my forehead. I began to inhale and exhale at a faster rate, in recognition that my heart needs the air to calm my nerves down.

Sunbae, where are you? Please come back quickly!

 

Hyun Joong

Fifteen minutes had passed and I was still waiting for something eventful to happen. It dawned upon me that I might have triggered the first part of the plan, but I did not give much thought to what should come next. And nothing was going to happen! That was purely poor planning!  

The cup of tea that I had ordered earlier was already empty. To continue waiting for something magical sounded almost impossible. Jinx Girl was still rooted to the same spot, obediently waiting for me to pick her up. Though there were many men who eyed her with an agenda in mind but none had made a step further to approach her.  I needed to think fast so as not to let this opportunity go to waste. I could not allow her to escape unscathed from this hard-to-come-by opportunity.

As I was scheming the next part of the plan, two men strutted up to Jinx Girl. Both men were in business suits and appeared gentlemanly. Surely these two were not looking for escorts at such a low class neighbourhood, I questioned quizically. They looked rich enough to patronise luxurious clubs across the strait in Hong Kong instead.

It then struck me that that ‘something eventful’ that I was hoping for might just be starting to take place right now. I slid back quickly into my seat, still warm from my momentary departure, waiting expectantly for the next thing to happen. My senses seemed to be suddenly awakened in anticipation of their advances towards Jinx Girl.

I rubbed my hands and chuckled gleefully. Hopefully, no one had heard or seen, for they would definitely mistook me for an escaped patient from a mental asylum.

 

I am such a BAD BOY! 

 

SHOWTIME!