Confession

River of No Return

Hyun Joong

 

Why do I have this urge to ‘elope’ with her?

Is it a sin to have feelings for her?

I didn’t care much to clarify my own doubts anymore. I was being irrational to want to be with her so badly, especially after knowing of her relationship with Geun Suk.

I did not care if it would be wrong!

I did not care if it was a sin!

I would not let her return to Geun Suk’s arms tonight!

Neither would I to Hyori!

“Hyun Joong, stop! Where are you going? You are hurting me!” she whined.

I did not heed her question and continue zigzagging through the crowd while holding on to her hand tightly. I had underestimated my strength on her in my search for a safe haven for us, and I only knew that she was really in pain when she shook my hand off forcefully.

“What are you doing? You are scaring me,” she shouted at me at the top of her voice.

“Why did you come looking for me? Didn’t you already have Hyori by her side!”

I was shocked by her sudden outburst. Studying her carefully, I realized that her cheeks were flushed and her eyes were watery red.

Is she drunk?

“Please soften your tone. You are attracting unwanted attention.” I tried to guide her towards me but she dodged from my reach. 

“You have tortured me enough! I shouldn’t be here with you. I am going back to Geun Suk…” she turned away and was about to walk back towards where she came from.

What? Have I have been torturing her? How?

“Wait! You can’t go back!” I grabbed her hands and she stopped her in her tracks.

“Why? Why can’t I go back?” she hissed and wriggled with all her might in her drunken state. I was amazed by her strength that I thought she could have been possessed, if not under the influence of alcohol.

“You can’t because…because….” I stammered as I tried to look into the anger ablaze in her eyes.

Why? Why couldn’t I let her go?

The reggae tune booming in the background died down suddenly as our glaring war intensified.

The spotlights in the bar gradually dimmed from a fiery red to that of a soothing blue as the band changed to a slow number - a song that I found familiar but could not remember where I had heard from.

*There is a river, called the River of No Return.

Sometimes, it’s peaceful and sometimes wild and free…*

So Min’s fiery temper subsided bit by bit as I took that opportunity to reclaim her sanity.

“Dance with me…..” I pleaded with my eyes.

Her cold eyes softened and she allowed my hands to slide to her waist.   

*Love is a traveller, on the River of No Return.

Swept on forever, to the last of the stormy seas*

“I don’t understand..” I began, “I feel insecure about how your attitude had turned drastically against me. If my memory doesn’t fail me, I had never felt this way before.”

“Though I don’t have much memory,” I chuckled a little at my own joke.  

I held her closer as if afraid that she would escape if did not do that. She did not restrain, neither did she attempt to snuggle any closer from the small gap that was maintained between our bodies.

“So Min,” I whispered in her ear, “I do not know when it started.”

“I know it is not right to feel this way.” I took in a deep breath.

“I think…”

“I have started to like you.”

I felt So Min froze in my arms. We both stopped swaying to the music.

At this moment, my knees went weak for it dawned on me that I had unconsciously made a confession.  My face sank onto her neck as I felt energy draining away from every muscles.

What gave me the courage to confess? I haven’t even sipped a drop of alcohol!

“I’m sorry that I said this so sudden. I’m sorry that I could not control myself. How did you make me fall this deep for you in such a short time?”

Lifting my head to gaze at her, I started to shiver with fear as I witnessed tears rolling down her eyes.

“Please tell me..” I dared myself to ask.

“Could you give us a chance?”

*She’ll never return to me*

The band had stopped playing.

The blue lights dimmed to almost complete blackness.

In the darkness, I waited for her response.

Anxiously….

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Bowwow

 

Thanks for subscribing and comments. Thanks for personal messages in my inbox and on my wall. Sorry that the update was short cos I didnt have much time to write lately. And I have an early conference tomorrow, so gotta retire to bed early now.


There were some messages in my wall that I had no chance to replt too but I promise I will whenever I could

 

Thank you all for your support and I will try to update soon! Good night!

 

P/s: Still feeling unwell right now. Coughing for almost a month and it returned again when I am on the verge of recovering.