Just in time

River of No Return

Hyun Joong

My legs to gave in to my weight as I knelt down whilst the party-goers around me started in their trance as they pranced to ‘DJ’s got us falling in love.’

Yea…right! If only the DJ could do the same for us, I thought sorely.

“Yo man! Are you alright? Need a hand?”

I looked up to find a bouncer towering above me.

“No thanks..” I assured him as I clumsily stood up. He gave me a light jerk by the arm and that got me to my feet immediately.

“Trouble with your lady, I see…,” he smirked good-naturedly.

I was a little irritated by his cheerfulness because it conflicted with the dark clouds that hung above my head. Nevertheless, I tried to be polite and smiled meekly at him.

“It’s the end,” I replied matter of factly.

“It doesn’t seem to have ended by the look on your face. You love her a lot, don’t you?” he patted my back, like an older brother would when comforting his sibling.

Yes, I do.

I sighed, “It doesn’t matter anymore.”

“It does.”

I glared at him. It was infuriating that this bouncer knew nothing and appeared attempted to talk like a sage.

He must not have noticed my anger directed at him for he rattled on, “It does matter if you value her. If I have someone I really love, I would not give up on her. If she doesn’t like me at first, I would try and try and try until there was nothing else I could do.”

I gazed at him for it did not occur to me that an unrefined man like him would possess more wisdom in love than I could ever imagined.

He continued with more passion in his voice, “If I found a love of my life, I would do my best to tell her that I love her, even if I have to die trying. I do not want to have regrets that I didn’t do enough.”

“Thank you so much!” I hugged him gratefully. “You just taught me the most important lesson.”

 

 

So Min

The road ahead was pitch black, just like the gloominess hovering above me. The sights and sound surrounding me seemed to have been muted by the agony brewing in my heart. Other than my heavy breathing, everything around me appeared to be a hallucination

A huge bright light brought me back into the real world. I could see nothing but the light inching nearer and nearer. Like a moth attracted to the light, I steadily lunged towards it without second thoughts

“SO MIN! WATCH OUT!”

Before I knew what was actually happening, I found myself crashing onto hard ground. My elbows and knees scraped some shingles and sent an aching sensation through my body.

“HELP!” I heard someone shouted. “Someone was hit!”

With wobbly hands, I supported myself up from the ground and glanced groggily towards the crowd that was forming in the middle of the road. A traffic jam had started from the commotion.

I was not able to rationalize what had happened but in my daze, I could only hear many people talking nervously

“Call the ambulance! He’s losing lots of blood!” someone said

“Oh dear! What was he thinking of?” another voice asked

“I saw what happened. He was trying to push a lady out of the car’s way.” a certain passerby clarified

“There! She’s standing there!”

I felt a lot of eyes staring at me, even though my vision was still blurry. It was then when I came to my senses.

Limping clumsily to the centre of the commotion, I came into view of the person lying on the road in a pool of fresh blood.

NO! IT CAN’T BE!

I will never forgive myself.

The sky above suddenly collapsed upon me, and knocked me into oblivion. I felt my back hit the tar beneath as my world churned itself into complete darkness.

“SO MIN! Are you hurt?”

Those were the last words that echoed in my head before I lose consciousness utterly

 

Geun Suk

She walked very fast and did not appear to have any destination in mind. I decided to follow at a safe distance to give her some space to cool down but still able to ensure that she was safe.

I suddenly realized that I was not the only one pursuing her silently. There was another person behind her a few hundreds metres away from another direction.

I stopped in my tracks when we realized our existences and stopped to look at each other. We were lost for words and trying to search for a reason for us stalking So Min secretly.

It was that few seconds that our eyes locked that tragedy would befall the three of us. For when I regain my focus on her, I saw a car approaching her head on at demonized speed.

“SO MIN!  WATCH OUT!” Those were the only words I managed to warn her.

Everything happened too fast afterwards. My mind went blank, with only the sole purpose of protecting her reverberating in my mind.

 

 

****************************************************************************************************************************

Bowwow

Couldnt think of a title for this chapter  *pant*

Sorry, Zie. The title happened to be the same as one of your fanfic.

 

Dear subscribers/ friends,

 

Thank you for reading RONR. This is the nth time I thank you all and I have not thank enough. A thousand apologies for the short update and any errors. Be it good or bad, please do leave me a word to let me know of your feelings for this chapter. I appreciate the time that you had spent to read through and will continue writing as long as there is still one person who is wiling to continue reading. THANK YOU! THANK YOU!