Do I Need Another Delicious Reason To Love McDonalds? Apparently So ;)

Once In A Lifetime

 

“Already at the club. Wait, are you the ones who are coming to get me?”

“Obviously” Kim Hyun Joong smiled. “Hopefully they’ll let us in”

“I don’t know, one famous actor and a famous idol coming to a V.I.P party for BIGBANG?” I tried to make this sound sarcastic but it only came out more excited. “Sounds pretty tough.”

“I think we’ll manage” Seung Gi replied.

                We went outside and there was an economy car out front. Hyun Joong opened my door before getting into the driver’s seat as Seung Gi hopped into the backseat. He started the car easily and we were off weaving in downtown. The city lights that passed reminded me of New York City, it was so gorgeous I barely answered their questions.

“How was meeting BIGBANG?” Seung Gi asked me.

“Totally incredible!” I squeaked at the reminder of meeting everyone. “I met everyone except for G-Dragon.”

“Why?” Hyun Joong suddenly interested.

“I sort of fainted” I answered hiding behind my hands.

“Really?!” he exclaimed with joy. “I missed it? What made you faint?”

“I sort of heard that T.O.P was coming out next and I got anxious.”

“Well was meeting him worth it?”

“Yea” I answered with half enthusiasm.

He could tell. “You don’t sound excited about it? Wasn’t he as modest as you hoped?”

                His signature smile was appearing across his wonderfully beautiful face. I could tell from his reaction that he knew exactly what Choi Seung Hyun was really like.

“Is that what you meant by you hope I’m not disappointed?” I questioned suddenly remembering our last conversation on the airplane. 

He winced.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I huffed and folded my arms.

“You wouldn’t have believed me” he laughed.

                I wanted to protest but how could I deny the truth when it slapped me in the face? There was absolutely no way I was going to believe T.O.P was self-centered in a million years. I was already having enough trouble believing it now and I had met him.

“I’m sorry” he finally stated after allowing a few minutes to pass.

“That’s okay, meeting them was my dream. And I’m still extremely happy” I smiled.

                We ended up at Envi which according to Seung Gi was one of the most popular clubs around. The parking area was empty except for the five stretch limos that elongated themselves across the lot. I took out my phone and dialed Sim Sunbae’s number. He picked up on the second ring.

“Sim Sunbae…” I hesitated. “I’m outside in the front.”

“Devon? Okay I’m coming.”

                In no time at all Sim Sunbae was out in the parking lot greeting Kim Hyun Joong and Lee Seung Gi.

“I had no idea you met such famous people.”

“I didn’t either” I laughed sarcastically. Here I was casually walking into a BB party with Lee Seung Gi and Kim Hyun Joong. Surely I was about to die soon because life couldn’t get any better.

                The club was dark but with each stream of strobe lighting it lit up the various people dancing and sitting. The bass from a K-Pop Mash-up was powerful enough I felt it in my shoes. You know those cheesy movie scenes where the girl walks into the room and everybody stops to stare as she makes her grand entrance? Well this was more epic and amazing because I entered with Lee Seung Gi and Kim Hyun Joong. My eyes searched the club for Paije and when I found her she was on a black leather couch against Daesung talking rapidly. Poor Lee Seung Gi; his face fell and became determined quickly enough for only me and Hyun Joong to see. He marched over and sat next to her and then when she realized what happened she squealed with delight. Hyun Joong extended his arm to me, and I took it gladly receiving the support. He walked me over to another nearby couch completely empty.

“I’ll get you something to drink” he told me before leaving me by myself on a large couch big enough to fit a dozen people.

“Okay” I answered happily.

                I wasn’t alone for long before I saw Kendrick walking towards me.

“Well if it isn’t the ugly duckling turned into a swan?” he smiled appraisingly.

                I couldn’t tell if I should be insulted or flattered; his words were insulting but the way he looked at me shouted the exact opposite.

 “Would you like to dance?” He asked hesitant enough to ruin his smooth façade.

“No thank you.” I answered politely smiling. “I don’t want to get in more trouble.”

“From who?” He scoffed.

“Kendrick!!!!” Madison’s voice screamed across the room as she stomped the dance floor with her heels.

Surprisingly instead of her voice being drowned out by the bass, it seemed to carry it faster. I automatically started laughing. When she saw my face I could tell, even in the dim lighting with strobe lights flashing everywhere that she was furious.

“What the heck are you doing here?!” Her face tried to say calmly but her voice still screeched.

“I guess I really should be thanking you, for the alterations in my dress. It turns out I’m a hit” I winked at her.

                She was fuming. 

“We’re the only two who matter?” Kendrick delivered this line perfectly. “Who cares about anyone else?”

“Would it help you move on if I told you I wasn’t interested?” I offered.

“Please. How could you not?” His blue eyes were laughing at the idea.

                Just in time Kim Hyun Joong appeared with drinks.

“I leave you alone for two minutes and I comeback to find you overwhelmed” he teased.

“Sorry, Kendrick was just asking me to dance; but I was trying to tell him that Kim Hyun Joong-”

“KIM HYUN JOONG!!!! FROM THE FLIGHT????!!!!” Madison screeched like a crow.

“Hello again” he said polite enough to show he wasn’t annoyed, but I picked up on it.

“Well I guess I’ll leave you two alone” Kendrick added a curt nod before leaving, with Madison following behind him in a tantrum.

“You have flawless timing” I complimented leaning in to bump his shoulder with mine.

                He was smiling his signature smile, and after him doing it so many times I started to know why it was his signature. It was 100% genuine, nothing fake about it and every time it sent my body in a rush; nothing compared to T.O.P but some mixture of healthy and adrenaline.  

“Hey! There you are!” a friendly familiar voice interrupted.

                I looked up and there was Taeyang smiling warmly with Aaliya grinning beside him.

“Are you ready to sing?” He asked enthusiastically.

“Uhm-” I started.

“Don’t give me that! You promised. I’ve already sang with Egan and Aaliya twice each. It’s your turn”

“You sing?” Hyun Joong mouthed to me.

“Whoa! Hyun Joong!”

                They exchanged smiles and some words in Korean that I couldn’t have a hope of catching and then he turned back to me.

“C’mon, you can even pick the song.”

                His hand was extending for mine. He was so nice, legitimately nice. I felt myself smile as I rose up from the seat taking his hand.

“I’ll be back” I promised Hyun Joong and he nodded before taking a sip of his drink.

                Taeyang led me to a stage in a back of the club. When people saw that he was going up a small crowd started forming in front of the stage.

“What do you want to sing?”

A swarm of butterflies started circling inside of my stomach making it so I couldn’t think straight. I wracked my brain for what seemed like an eternity, but I couldn’t come up with anything. I started thinking about the Korean songs I knew.

“How about something easy? What songs do you know by me?”

“Your entire album” I confessed laughing.

He laughed too. “Well Aaliya and Egan already sang Wedding Dress, so-”

“How about You’re My?” I asked. “I sort of created a harmony with it, we could try it, you know if you want to?”

“You made a harmony to You’re My?” He asked impressed. “That’s a really difficult song, the melody I mean. I’m curious, would you mind?”

“No” I smiled.

                The music started and he started singing before I came in. I imagined that I wasn’t performing but just singing into a hairbrush instead of a really expensive microphone next to Taeyang. My voice didn’t crack and I was really grateful for that. My harmony became more complex in the second verse and I was surprised at my correct pronunciation and when we reached the highest part, our voices blended together sounded incredible. I was immediately inflated with a joy that I was actually doing this, it allowed me to get into the song. And then it was over before I was ready to let it go. A wide grin spread across my face at what we had created and his grinning face confirmed what I felt. A rupture of applause  began as soon as we stopped singing, Taeyang bowed and I clapped even louder for him before he started motioning me to step forward and bow. I backed away shyly and applauded even louder for him. I started down the steps back to my seat and then a hand caught mine.

“Good job” the voice of my once soul-mate spoke.

                I should’ve known from the touch who grabbed my hand. My body was already reacting before my mind could catch up. I took in deep breaths to keep from screaming and allowed T.O.P to lead me to the couch.

“Thank you!” I peeped.

“Hyun Joong” he nodded.

“Seung Hyun” He replied just as curtly.

                I sat in the middle in a dream. My two idols sitting on either side of me, it was awesome!!!

“Where did you learn how to sing like that?” Hyun Joong complimented. 

“I’m not sure” I laughed. “It’s something I’ve always been able to do.”

“It wasn’t that great, I’ve heard better” T.O.P spoke up.

                And just like that he crushed my heart again. I was going to have to find a way to develop a more flexible heart; I had a feeling he would be doing it often.

“I thought it was amazing” Hyun Joong smiled.

“Will you stop lying to the poor girl? She’s obviously an amateur” He mocked. “I’m sure I’ve sang better with a head cold.”

                Even when he was ridiculing me I felt a whoosh in my chest. This didn’t make sense. If it were any other person I would’ve told them where to shove it; but because it was him. I somehow found the courage to let it go. Hyun Joong was already becoming tense, his posture radiated dislike. I smiled kindly to him and that seemed to relax him; even though I knew he could see that I was on the verge of tears.

“Do you plan on insulting me the entire night?” I somehow managed to laugh.

“Not the entire night” He sneered.

                I shook my head in disbelief. I went to take a sip of my drink before his hand stopped me.

“What?” I asked.

“How can you sit there ignoring me?”

“What?!” I shrieked.

“I’m sitting less than two inches from you and here you are talking to this guy.” his said casually taking a sip motioning over too Hyun Joong. “Obviously you're not a real fan.”

“Get over yourself” Hyun Joong retorted.

“What if I can’t?” he edged.

“It doesn’t matter…” I answered confidently putting the drink back on the table. “Either way I’m finding a new bias.”

                His dark eyes laughed at me even though his face remained smooth. Hyun Joong who’s posture was rigid for a few minutes relaxed even more.

“No matter what you do I still think you're talented, however as far as being my favorite you can forget it.” I grinned even though I could feel the tears in my eyes just waiting for the right moment to pour. I got up from the couch and Hyun Joong and T.O.P looked alarmed at my movement.

“Where are you going?” T.O.P asked.

“Away from you!” I yelled loudly as Hyun Joong howled with laughter. “Thank you Hyun Joong-oppa for the ride. I’m sure I’ll see you later.” I bowed to both of them even though T.O.P didn’t deserve it before stepping over his long legs, which he used to try and trip me but I managed to walk out across the dance floor.

                As soon as I was outside I texted Sim Sunbae telling him that I was heading back to the hotel. I walked most of the way, finding a McDonalds and stopping to get a large order of French fries. French fries always make me feel better and as lousy as I was feeling I needing a really big pick-me-up. The radio station in the McDonalds started playing Baby Don’t Cry and I was slightly cheered up at the thought of meeting all of them. I took my hot fries and went to the nearest bench and sat down and began nibbling. I kept humming the tune to myself as I ate and I couldn’t help but laugh at myself. I had stood up to the very existence of my k-pop life and it felt exhilarating. I kept laughing before a polite voice interrupted.

“Devon right?” he asked.

“Yes” I mumbled staring at G-Dragon’s exquisite face.

“I’ve been waiting to meet you all night, but when one of the chaperones said that you left, so I came looking for you myself.”

                He was thinner in person but still had stature. He was wearing a great black outfit with a white bowtie. It looked like classic GD style and somehow he was able to add flare to this simple concept.

“Why did you leave early?” His eyes we’re full of the same curiosity I had seen many times on the few videos of him speaking English.

“I needed some fresh air” I lied.

“All of the way out here?”

                His English was absolutely adorable.

“Yes” I confirmed. 

“Were you not having fun? Because that’s not allowed” he smiled sitting beside me.

“No I was” I partially lied.

“I meant to tell you that your singing with SOL was really good.”

“Really? You really think so?” I asked in disbelief.

“Yea. I can’t wait to see you audition for our video” he smiled.

“Why? Wait we have to audition in front of all of you?!” I yelped.

                That I wasn’t sure if I could handle. Singing in front of a bunch of executives who had no affect on my nerves whatsoever except for the fact that they were offering this great opportunity, I could perform for them easily. In front of 5 amazingly talented men? Intimidating.

“Yes” he laughed at me. “Don’t be nervous.”  

 “I guess if I can handle this, I can bare anything.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m sitting on a bench next to one of the greatest performers in the world, and I’m just eating fries calmly” I smiled at my reactions and then I remembered my manners. “Would you like some?”

“Yea, thanks.”

                We sat there eating fries for what seemed like a blissful eternity. I asked him about his next album and when I could expect it coming as he asked me what life was like for a V.I.P in the U.S. He seemed fascinated by the idea of Paije and I suffering through the different time zones when they had an announcement of press release; and he felt totally grateful when I told him about BIGBANG Updates. The whole conversation was totally relaxed and comfortable. I didn’t feel like I was going to pass out, he felt regular and easy to relate too. We started talking about Heartbreaker and the whole semi-controversy with Flo.Rida.

“I get so upset with him!” I confessed.

“Why? It’s not that big of a deal. The collaboration went really well I thought” he answered defensively.

“Because he should’ve brought you back to the U.S and then I would’ve gone to one of his concerts” I smiled as he rolled his eyes.

“What other types of music do you like?”

“CN Blue, SHINee, Rain, MBLAQ, 2PM-”

“Something other than k-pop” he laughed.

                I smiled and told him the various artists that I like ranging from Yiruma to Snoop Dogg. My musical taste-buds literally stopped at every country and genre and he seemed really impressed with my musical knowledge.

“So you want to be a singer?”

“I’m not sure I’m good enough, but something to do with music.”

“Don’t sell yourself short. You're really very good.”

“I wish I could rap, but I don’t have the voice” I giggled.

“You’ve tried rapping?” He laughed.  

“Yea, I don’t have enough swag.”

“You can borrow mine if it helps” he said answering the vibrating phone in his pocket.

“I’m so sorry, you’ve been out too long. I’m too selfish”

“No, no it’s fine” he said to me as the Korean he spoke came out easily. I waited patiently for him to finish by delicately crushing the empty French fry container. I would save that container forever, no one but me could touch it; everyone else including Paije would have to suffer by looking at it.

“That was T.O.P, he’s coming.”

                My body froze in place becoming stiff.

“You're not going to faint again are you?” G-Dragon half teased.

“GD-oppa, I must leave now” I complained.

“Why?”

“It’s too late I’m here” that beautifully deep voice spoke making me fiddle with my thumbs as I bit my lower lip nervously.

                G-Dragon answered his ringing phone while T.O.P stared intently at me. The stare that was permanently burned into my brain. His left eyebrow was already doing the T.O.P stare that I loved so much. It was ier than anything I had ever seen, including Bi Rain’s practice videos. The look he gave me was the exact same one he had sitting in the elegant white chair at the end of his Turn It Up video. It was a mixture between carelessness and troublesome. At this realization I let out a light squeal that seemed to shatter his entire package with a chuckle.

“Well it’s good to know you don’t totally hate me” he smiled a little softer with slight sarcasm.

“I could never hate you” I groaned.

“Really? Then I guess I’ll have to try harder.”

                I didn’t know how to respond. That’s a lie I knew exactly how to respond.

“No offense, but can’t you bother some other V.I.P? There’s only like a thousand of us”    

 “Yea, but I like your reactions better. It’s your fault.”

“How?”

“I’ve never had this amount of control over anyone, at least anyone who let me know it, I wanna see how far I can push it.” He smiled haughtily; had it been Greg I knew I would’ve hit him.

“You don’t have control over me?” I protested.

“Yea?” he laughed confidently walking over to stand in front of me. He bent down closer, allowing his face to be less than 3 inches away from mine. “How many other people do you faint over?”

                If I had some balls he would’ve had them. He knew exactly how to jerk my chain and get on my nerves while winning me over at the exact same time. It wasn’t fair! I wanted to protest but I couldn’t find the will to be set free.

“You're coming back with us right?” G-Dragon walked over to the bench where I sat while T.O.P stood up straight and his heel away from me.

“Of course she is, she needs to work off those fries before she gets fatter” T.O.P hollered.

                G-Dragon gave him a look of disappointment.

“Just a question, does losing weight also mean you lose manners too? If so, I liked you better when you were 400lbs.”

                I always admired my quick comebacks and this time I could’ve married my brain for that one.  I stood up allowing his eyes to gently rake over my body in the amazing outfit as GD’s laughs filled the night air. I walked back with G-Dragon as T.O.P followed silently the rest of the way. We entered the club again and Seungri was on the dance floor surrounded by at least 7 or 8 other girls. He saw me walk in and then parted the group to come over to meet me.

“Let’s see those dance skills” he grinned taking my hand and pulling me to the floor.

                I seriously didn’t have a chance to object, he had me to the dance floor before I could do anything. We were dancing together and it felt…right. Like when you find a good dancing partner it just feels good to the core because both of you are about creating a good time together. His freestyle combined with mine generated heat. I felt that we looked hot. It felt that all eyes were on us and the way our bodies moved together to the beat of the music. The atmosphere lifted and I felt weightless. Taeyang joined us on the floor and then I started dancing with him. He was crazy and all over the place and it had me laughing so hard on the floor. The eye smiles from the both of them were so big it looked painful. They were both having a good time…with ME!!!! After a while I clutched my chest in exhaustion; each of them grabbed my waist and led me to the bartender.

“Ayo” Taeyang shouted to the bartender who came over in a hurry.

                Taeyang and Seungri spoke hurriedly in Korean and the bartender flamboyantly prepared three drinks and set them gracefully in front of each of us.  

“What is this?” I asked Taeyang curiously.

“Soju” he smiled.

“Soju?” I felt my eyes spread. “No thank-you Oppa” I added a laugh. I knew myself well enough that my tolerance for alcohol was microscopic, and I knew if I allowed myself to get wasted in front of T.O.P he would love to make fun of me forever, I would not let that happen.

“It’s only a little soju” Seungri smiled.

“I don’t think so Oppa” I kept grinning. “I’m going to go look for my friend Paije” I said bowing before turning away.

“See you around Devon” Taeyang smiled before taking a sip and turning around to the bar tender. Seungri was totally smooth and when he winked at me it sent a single shiver up my spine.

                I saw Paije dancing with Seung Gi, but every chance she got she waved to Daesung who smiled even bigger (if that was physically possible). I went back to the couch Kim Hyun Joong led me too and sat exhausted. I took off my heels and started rubbing my feet. Before I knew it, someone’s head was resting on my shoulder making me rigid with anticipation.

“I’ve watched you dance with everyone but me? How’s that supposed to make me feel?”

                Why did his voice have to turn my insides into melted butter, every…single…time….he…spoke?

Somehow I played it off cooly. I don’t how? But I did.

“I’m not sure how it’s a problem?”

                I was so cool for making a coherent statement.

“There’s only one way to fix it?” he breathed.

                How do I know he was breathing, because I could feel it against my face!!!! I didn’t dare move; I didn’t have enough will power. A slow song started

playing and I recognized its tune almost instantly.

“She can't.”

              The acoustic version of Because I’m Stupid by Kim Hyun Joong grew louder slowly. Before I realized he was standing in front of me grabbing my hand. I allowed him to lead me back to the dance floor without hesitation; not even glancing back to look at T.O.P’s face.  

“Come on, it’s my song” he smiled when I gave him a look of uncertainty.

                He held me close allowing me to semi-cradle against him. His left hand rested comfortably against my lower back as we swayed to the music. Our hands were carefully tangled together resting on his chest; my head was kind of bent down afraid to look at this beautiful man for fear that I would collapse. He hummed softly in my ear and I felt instantly soothed. This felt really nice, then all of a sudden I felt my eyes swelling up and I could not believe that I was about to cry at a time like this.

 He heard me sniffle. “What’s wrong?” He leaned away from me so he could get a better look at my face.

“It’s nothing oppa. This song always makes me cry” I smiled trying to wipe away my tears.

“This song makes you cry?”

“All the time” I grinned sniffling.

“Why?”

                I shook my head and said nothing; he let the subject go and we finished the dance. Paije came over with Lee Seung Gi smiling wider than I’ve ever seen. Unknowingly to us, Kim Mi-Hi had a microphone in hand as was standing on the small stage where I performed with Taeyang.

“Attention V.I.P’s…Welcome to BIGBANG’s GLOBAL EVENT!” Kim Mi-Hi started reading.

                At this a burst of applause started from everywhere. Whoops and hollers were added and V.I.P chants in different languages were screamed across the club. This was what it was all about. Everyone, from everywhere getting together to support BIGBANG, this was why we came. Eventually we quieted down enough so Kim Mi-Hi could speak.

“These next few weeks are going to be memorable and we hope you will continue to make this Event wonderful for everyone. Later in the week we will schedule a Photo-shoot with the winners, guests and BIGBANG in order to promote the GLOBAL EVENT. The following week will start the rehearsals for the Auditions. During this time, the YG Building will be open to you for visiting. Please remain respectful to the artists and executives working...”

                We were going to see the YG Building. We were actually allowed to go inside the building instead of waiting by the doors or parking garage to see who we would meet. The reverence for the building was written all over every V.I.P’s face.

“Once rehearsals start, you will have use of certain practice rooms to work on your skills until the audition. BIGBANG will be practicing for the upcoming concert; please do not distract them for they need to remain focus in order to deliver a seamless performance. I look forward to seeing you around the office. Sincerely, Papa YG” she finished reading.

                My ears were officially blessed. I had just heard a personal letter from Papa YG; a letter that gave us permission to explore the YG Building and practice there in two weeks. This was going to be awesome, and I could already tell that it would be life changing.

“Are you ready to leave?” Seung Gi asked Hyun Joong.

Hyun Joong looked over my head before looking at me. “Will you be okay?”

                I nodded as he glared over my head.  He gave small smile to Paije and he winked at me before turning and heading for the door.

“I’ll text you when-” Paije tried to promise but Seung Gi cut her off.

“Don’t bother, I’ll call you later” he flashed a smile. “Later Devon” he bowed before meeting Kim Hyun Joong and then they both left.

                Sim Sunbae came over to us followed by Rachel and Madison.

“The vans are ready” he bowed.

“Thank-you Sim Sunbae” we bowed back following him out into the parking lot.

                I caught a glance of T.O.P taking a swift drink at the bar table. His eyes darted in my direction and my first reaction was to run. His eyes looked furious and I had only recognized this face when he was rapping on stage fiercely. I somehow bowed and smiled to him before returning to the group. I wasn’t sure if he accepted this humble apology but I knew he’d do something about it later. The car ride back to the hotel was quiet except for Madison’s constant sobs. I refused to let her ruin this night for me, especially with all of the people trying to make it a success. I knew I was going to have to hide this dress and lock my doors at night; this girl was crazy enough to sneak in the night and chop off my hair. I couldn’t take those kinds of chances, not knowing how desperate she was. We entered the lobby of the hotel in no time and I stepped into the elevator barely realizing who got in with me. Any other person might have thought it were an awkward elevator ride with me, Paije, Kendrick, Egan, Madison and Rachel riding. It seemed like Kendrick and Madison were determined to bring the mood down for everyone else, but Paije and I were too happy to let that happen. When we got to our floor, I swiped the room key in front of the door. Madison and Rachel went to their side and shut the door. Paije and I went to ours and I plopped down on the bed. We were both so tired from jetlag and meeting famous people we fell asleep in our party clothes. We knew that we would save the gushing for breakfast the next day.