Oh No She Didn't? Oh Yes She Did!

Once In A Lifetime

Even though I was partially out of it, I swear I could feel myself starting to come to. It was fuzzy but I kept hearing gasps from unfamiliar voices and I could feel myself lying down, but it seemed to comfortable to be the floor. Then all of a sudden a strong burning sensation hit my face where it felt like my nose should be. I could feel me wrinkling my nose before I opened my eyes and found myself looking at this old Korean man waving a test strip in front of my face. When he saw me starting to move, a different hand rested itself on my shoulder gently pushing me down.

“Stay still” the voice gently commanded; and I scrunched my head backwards until I saw who was restraining me.

                My eyes could not believe what I was seeing. I was in a white room, with white furniture and somehow I was lying on a cozy white couch with my feet extended in front of me. And then to peak my amazement, there was Choi Seung Hyun. Dressed entirely in white with a semi-ornate silver cross hanging down that I automatically recognized from his Dazed & Confused photo-shoot. His hair color was the beautiful shade of dark brown that I loved, instead of the “Johnny Bravo Marigold” I had grown used too. His long face with prominent features we’re more detailed than any computer screen could have shown in HD. His charisma seemed to emit from every part of him and somehow I was caught up. I opened my mouth to scream but no sound came out, and when I finally realized it I shut it again.

“You're curious about something.”

“I’m wondering if I’m dead” I admitted.

He beamed at me. “What makes you think you're dead?”

“Look at the evidence” my tone sounded as if I were a lawyer preparing to make a closing argument. “I’m in a white room, with bright lights. Except for smell and touch, I seem to have no senses. And on top of that I’m having a relaxed conversation with my future husband; or at least he was.” I sighed disappointed.

He laughed even harder. “What am I then?!”

“My dream angel sent here to carry me into the afterlife”

“I’m not that strong” he roared with laughter.

                I don’t weigh that much! My dream had just insulted me. I’m pretty sure that’s not in the protocol for angels to insult their passengers; when I got to heaven I was going to tell God and get him fired.

“Why else would your English be this good” I challenged semi-innocently.

                And at that he shut-up. This clearly was more hurtful than I intended and the glare that spread across his face proved it. He removed his hand from my shoulder and walked in front of me to say something to the old man.

“The joke’s over. You're not dead, you just fainted. The doctor just confirmed it; too much excitement.”

“Fainted?” I asked in disbelief. “I didn’t faint.”

                Automatically I started to become very defensive. I couldn’t have fainted; what could possibly make me faint? And then slowly but surely my memory crept back into view.   

“I wonder who’s coming next” Egan asked excitedly.

“It’s either G-Dragon or…” Rachel began but was cut off by T.O.P’s Turn It Up.

                Had I actually fainted? No, there was absolutely no reason why I would. The last thing I remembered was talking to a group of people having tea at the… Oh no. I did faint. I remembered become anxious as Turn It Up started playing which automatically meant, that I wasn’t dead or even dreaming. Here I was insulting the very definition of “ideal”. I closed my eyes in horror.

“Are you in hurt?” he asked noticing my expression.

“YES!!!” I protested squirming in the couch.

“Stop moving, it’ll ease the pain” he ordered, sounding as if he didn’t know what to do.

“No! I’m fine, but I’m an awful V.I.P!!!” I whined louder.

“What?” Both T.O.P and the doctor questioned.

“T.O.P-oppa, I’m so sorry. Your English is very good, better than mine!!!” I bowed so much that it started to hurt. He had to physically stop me.

“When are you going to stop being ridiculous?” He asked forcing me to lie down.

I became caught up in the fact that he was actually touching me and immediately a goofy look started spreading across my face. Every organ inside of me seemed to slam forward and crash into my skeletal system. I repeatedly resisted the urge to scream and when I finally thought I was going to lose he let me go. It was like a kettle again being removed from the heat but still my water was boiling and rushing around. He said something else to the doctor before the doctor left and he went to go sit in a large chair across from me.

“What?” He sighed.

“I’m just trying to figure out why I would faint?”

                I tried to seem cool and nonchalant about the fact that I was sitting a couch’s length away from my Big Bang Bias.

“Isn’t it obvious?” he smirked at me.

                That smirk should’ve sent me into cardiac-arrest but I was strong-minded enough to deflect it to my stomach, which sent me on a familiar rollercoaster ride. That feeling was a normal reaction; I’d recognized it immediately from staying up late watching BB’s videos and comeback press releases.

“You heard that I was coming out, and you fainted” he grinned arrogantly. “I’m flattered”

                Okay even though I was caught up in T.O.P W.O.R.L.D, my personality couldn’t seem to forget the fact that I strongly disliked arrogance. But I disregarded it and stayed in the present.

“Are you sure I didn’t just eat something that upset my stomach?” I winced hoping to find a more reasonable excuse for passing out.

“According to Paije, I seem to have that affect on you” his answer was not only 100% correct but absolutely mesmerizing.

                I fought to stay in the present and it was easier to do that in silence.

“You can drop the act Devon” he said reaching for the coffee table delicately displaying beverages. “Everyone knows that I am your bias” he smiled.

                And there it was again. That smile. I didn’t like it. Not that he didn’t have a nice smile; it’s just that this one wasn’t genuine. It was egotistical; like I was supposed to be impressed and admire him automatically. He wasn’t as appreciative of the fandom as the others were. I could tell immediately that he wanted to be praised, like he was expecting me to break out into song or something. Nothing about him sitting in the chair across from me whispered modesty. It was an awful thought, but I was slowly losing my reasons for liking him. I couldn’t believe I was thinking this about Choi Seung Hyun; but maybe that was the problem. I had fallen in love with T.O.P and maybe this was Choi Seung Hyun. I sat up on the couch and swung my feet onto the floor as I rubbed my head.

“You really should lie down” he said leaning into to feel my head.

                Just because I realized that there were some parts I didn’t like, it didn’t stop my body from reacting to his touch. Automatically my heart became swift in beats and I couldn’t help but silently squeal from my core. I took his hand down from my head and stood up regaining my sanity.

“I should probably get back to the tea-” I bowed.

“It’s over. Everyone is probably getting ready for this evenings party.”

“I missed meeting G-Dragon?” Horror struck my face easily being replaced by disappointment.

“Hey! I thought I was your bias?” He said offended.

“You are-“

“Well isn’t this your dream come true?”

“It is!” I objected.

“Then why are you disappointed?” He challenged. “You flew all the way from the United States to see me, and when I do you the favor of spending time with me you're disappointed because you didn’t meet GD?”

                My mouth popped open as I listened to him continue. He sounded like I owed him something.                

Now that got me mad. I knew he was doing me a great honor by spending time with me but did he have to make it sound like charity work? If he didn’t want to do this promotion he could’ve have used this time to slave away in a recording studio making more music for me to get excited about. I had spent at least two years fawning over this man. I endured awkward stares and looks from my friends who didn’t understand why I was in love with this him. My room had a small shrine dedicated to him that I greeted every morning. The numerous explanations I had to go through when my iPod speakers accidently played one of his songs to loudly or even the excuses I came up with for his outlandish but fascinating fashion sense. That Lollipop outfit he wore during that LG phone music video was hideous! Bright yellow leather and hot pink pants shouldn’t be worn together for no reason; even clowns avoided those colors. But I stood by his fashion choice. I loved talking about him; it didn’t faze me one bit that everyone I talked to besides Paije thought I was insane…why? Because I was in love. And here he was insulting me!  Just because he was famous, it didn’t give him a free pass to stomp my heart out repeatedly. If I had gotten any angrier I think I would’ve cried; I was already upset as is.

“No need for an apology, if you sit” he smiled thinking that he won.

                I was speechless, but at least my knees didn’t buckle.  I bowed lowly and turned to walk out of the room.

“Hey!” Choi Seung Hyun yelled after me as I kept walking. “Don’t you hear me?!” He yelled louder catching my hand before I slung him off. “Whoa!”

“T.O.P-oppa” I started bowing. “Forgive my rudeness, but I must return to my friends.”

“What?” he laughed. “No I think we’re going to go sit down.”

“아니 (Ani)” I said firmly.

“How can you say no?” He challenged with a harsh laugh. “I’m T.O.P. Your future husband remember?”

                That was low. Using the fact that I thought I was dead to tease me.

“You're wrong.” I somehow regained my confidence smiling at him. “I didn’t come all this way just to meet you. I did it for BIGBANG, not T.O.P. You were just a really amazing bonus.” I bowed again.

                I turned around and kept walking, not before I got a look at his stunned face. I think I had to be the first V.I.P in the history of BIGBANG who spoke to a bias like that. I hoped that I hadn’t been disrespectful, because that wasn’t my intention. This wasn’t how I imagined it; I thought he was going to be like the others. Cheerful and appreciative and really cool to be around. He was supposed to be totally modest as I spent hours gushing over how fabulous he was; at no point in time was he supposed to believe me. He was supposed to brush it off as fandom and be as amazing in real life as he was on my computer screen. I eventually found my way through the hotel and ended up back into my room. Sim Sunbae greeted me as soon as I stepped out of the elevator.

“Ms. Devon” Sim-Sunbae sighed in relief. “Are you feeling better?”

“Yes I’m fine” I answered. “I’m going to get ready for tonight’s party.

“Are you sure that’s best?” He asked concerned.

“I’m sure” I smiled swiping the key card in front of the door.

                I found Paije sitting on her bed talking to Rachel.

“Devon!” Rachel exclaimed. “How are you?”

“I’m okay”

“What are you doing here? I thought for sure you’d be swooning over T.O.P in the backstage lounge.”

“Me too” I confessed with disappointment.

“What happened?” Rachel said shocked. “Wasn’t meeting him everything you hoped? It was like that for us meeting Daesung” she squealed happily.

“He’s not like I thought”

                I couldn’t find the words in my head to put what meeting him was like, so I changed the subject.

“What’s GD like?”

                And that started another round of fan-girling. Rachel and Paije gushed and gushed about how amazing GD was. Part of me was gushing with them, but then the other part was still thinking about T.O.P. He was still my bias; no amount of arrogance was going to stop the fact that I was a die-hard T.O.P fan; but as far as marriage? And as crazy as it sounded because I seriously thought I was going to marry him, I wasn’t sure if I wanted too. He was still talented, artistic and dedicated. Not to mention even better looking than my computer screen led me to believe, however he wasn’t modest. In a few short minutes he had destroyed my untainted image and messed it over with his egotistical behavior. I didn’t know how I was going to get over that…I didn’t know if I could.

“Oh and Dev! G-Dragon said it was a real shame that he didn’t get a chance to meet you, but he’s looking forward to seeing you personally at the party tonight” Paije screamed the last part.

“GD!” I yelped suddenly realizing the sentence that came out of .

“Yea, so you better wear something really hot” Paije smiled.

“I’ve got just the thing” I said running over to my part of the closet. I reached for my dress bag and gasped in horror at the dress I pulled out.

                There were gashes in it from left to right. The beautifully long black dress that fit me like a glove sewn onto my hand was now completely ruined. The bottom of the floor length dress looked like long strips of construction paper used to make those criss-cross patterns in elementary school. There was one large gash in the chest area that swung all the way around to where the right sleeve she be. There were two large slits on the sides of the dress. The nicest outfit that I brought here was now finished. I wanted to burst into tears. Paije rushed over to my side and when she saw the dress her face became fixed in fury. When the door opened, there was Madison casually leaning up against its frame brandishing a pair of scissors.

“Why would you do this?!” I lashed out at her.

“So you can’t go to the party…duh.” Her answer was satisfied. She was probably ecstatic that she had ruined one of the best nights of my life.

“Just tell me why?” I asked surprisingly calm while Paije was whispering a slur of profanities.

“You’re receiving way to much attention-”

“From the Idols!!!” I roared. “You don’t even like them!”

“Them too, but I was referring to Kendrick”

“Kendrick!” My voice sang three octaves above average. “You did this because of him???!!!”

                Madison nodded guilty with a grin spreading wide across her face, and before I knew it I was lunging for .  When Sim Sunbae came in the room he found me on top pinning her to the ground with Rachel trying to get past Paije so she could separate us. Sim Sunbae’s terror stricken face pulled us apart as easily as two sheets of paper. Before then I didn’t notice how big he was, but I guess he could pass as a really buff sumo wrestler. He sent Madison and Rachel back to their rooms. I was only able to give Madison a good stretch when I raised her arms and pinned her, before Sim Sunbae came in so she walked out as casually as ever screaming that this wasn’t over. I sat over on the bed holding the gashes at the bottom of my dress.

“She did this?” Sim Sunbae asked.

                I had no words, so I just nodded.

Sim Sunbae whipped out his cell phone and in a few minutes he started speaking rapidly in Korean.    

“Ms. Devon,” he began. “are you opposed to arriving fashionably late?”

“I have nothing to wear” I accepted in defeat.

“I’ll do the same to my dress!” Paije answered determined.

                She truly was my best friend, giving up one of the coolest parties we’d ever go to stay with me. She was the most loyal person that I knew, and I loved her for it. But she had to go, I mean just because I was the actual winner did it mean that I was selfish enough to make her stay with me. All Americans weren’t like Madison and we had to prove it to BIGBANG, otherwise they may never visit the States again.

“Paije, I can’t let you do that!”

“Then I would have to fix two dresses” Sim-Sunbae smiled.

“Fix?” To him I probably looked more confused than anyone, but I couldn’t comprehend what he was saying.

                And at that precise moment we heard a knock at the door that Sim Sunbae answered. He took the scraps of my dress away from me and handed it to a small woman. Her hair was in a messy bun and she was wearing  comfy clothes perfect for lounging in. She was draped in tape measurers and had multiple pin cushions attached  to her wrist. When she took a good look at the pile of semi-sewn fabric instead of handing it back she disappeared.

“Why are you still sitting? Go get dressed!” he laughed. 

                I didn’t want to disrespect Korean culture by hugging him because we just met, so I got on my knees and bowed so lowly my lips touched the carpet, I kept it up reminding myself of genie in a lamp bowing down to their master. When I stopped I did a light dance circle where I stood. Someone, our guess was Rachel; knocked on the door quietly, three taps. Paije went to answer it.

“I’m sorry we’re not speaking with enemy lines.”

“I didn’t know she was going to do that!!!” Rachel whispered.

“Why are you whispering?” Paije yelled loudly on purpose as Rachel pushed passed her to step into our half of the room.

“Will you shut-up, she’s taking a shower! I’m not even supposed to be here but I had to tell you that I had no idea she would stoop that low.”

“I’m not going to pretend that it’s okay, because it’s not! When she’s ready to apologize I’ll be ready to hear it.”              

“Also too, I came to ask on her behalf and mine, if you guys happen to like Kendrick and Egan?” Rachel held her breath.

“No.” I answered soundly. “Kendrick is a complete jerk, why would I like him?”

“What about Egan?” She asked more intently. “He seems more your type-”

“He’s cute yes, but he’s clearly got a thing for you” I stated.

                At that we saw her eyes light up, and a warm blush rise to her cheeks.

“I don’t want either of them. So are we cool now?” My answer seemed a little hesitant.

We are but I’m not sure about Madison” Rachel admitted. “I’m sorry you can’t go to the party.”  

                Paije and Sim Sunbae looked at each other, both stayed quiet picking up on the hint that it was better to leave Rachel in the dark. She was too close to the enemy, and now I knew how dirty Madison was willing to play I had to keep my plans safe inside my head.

“Yea, but I’ve already had so much happen today that if they sent me home tomorrow I’d still be happy.”

                We all heard the shower stop. Rachel’s face was a mixture between shame and danger before she dashed back to her side and shut the door rapidly. Paije was smart enough to get a glass and press it up against the door; Sim Sunbae looked amazed. I took a glass and pressed it too. 

                “So the dress is completely ruined?” Madison’s voice was easily recognized even through glass.

                “Yes, she can’t go” Rachel reported. “Do you think you could stop now, I mean she says that she doesn’t even like him. Don’t you think you took it too far? You wrecked her best dress.”

               “Don’t you see how the entire table was wrapped around her little finger, or were you pretending not to see that little wink Egan gave her that sent her in a trill of giggles.”

              “But look what she did for him! She got him an extra singing session with Taeyang!!! I’d probably wink and smile at her too if she did that for me.”

              “My point is, she’s becoming too popular. The idols are already impressed by her, and more importantly Kendrick notices her. When he doesn’t even respond to me, he answers and questions her.”

             “We all know you’ll get him eventually. Just leave her alone”

             “Shut-up Rachel and just keep your mouth quiet until I tell you what to do!”

                Paije and I leaned away from the door as Sim Sunbae left the room. I couldn’t believe what I had just heard. I knew Madison was awful, but I didn’t know that Rachel would just stay quiet and take it. We couldn’t even trust her or Madison; clearly she was intimidated enough to do anything include spy on us. Somehow I thought that Rachel had more of a backbone, but I guess I was totally wrong; but then again I was wrong about a lot of things today. I headed to the bathroom to take a nice hot relaxing shower; in no time at all I was doing my hair and applying my make-up. The only that was missing was the dress. I sat on my bed in my bath robe while my freshly curled wavy hair sprayed over my shoulders; Paije was dressed and ready to go. She looked amazing with her black mini poof dress. Her hair was in an elegant French up-do twist with a front bang, perfectly  accenting her gracefully long neck and proportionate face. The dress came down to an “A”-line and stopped mid-calf, showing off her athletic legs. Her heels we’re black strappy sandals that delicately twisted around her ankles. She spun around for me to give her the final approval.

“Well?” She asked as her eyes stretched in scrutiny.    

“You look so pretty” I complimented easily. “Daesung is gonna eat his heart out!”

She laughed excitedly. “Can you actually believe I’m going to a party where there gonna be at?” She winked. She said this way too loudly keeping up the pretense of me staying home. A knock came at the door, as I went to go answer it.

                I opened the door to see Madison’s smirking face. She was wearing this dress…that looked more like a glittery tube-top that she stretched to fit over her waist, while poor Rachel was wearing all black with a butterfly necklace looking more Plain-Jane than ever. She mouthed the words punishment towards me and Paije.

“I just came to see if Paije wanted to walk over with us” Madison smiled checking out my appearance.

“You came to make sure I couldn’t go” I answered calling her bluff. “Relax, Paije is ready.”

"You look awful nice to say that your staying in" she glanced at my appearence again.

"Well just because you ruined my best outfit it doesn't mean I can't go out on the town" I retorted.

                It was going to give me great pleasure when I saw Madison's face at the party tonight. I would be the last person she would expect to see there and I could hardly wait for her to feel failure. Paije walked around looking like America’s Next Top Model compared to the Jersey Shore Barbie and extra stage hand that stood in front of me.

“Let’s go” Paije groaned.

“Don’t be like that” Madison laughed attempting to put her arm around Paije.   

“Sim Sunbae!” I hissed after him before he left.

“It’ll be up soon” he reassured.  “I would come back for you, but it appears that someone is on their way. Here’s my number; call me when you are outside of the club or if there are any problems.” He bowed before leaving as I thanked him again.

                Someone was on their way to meet me?  I wonder who it could be. Maybe it was T.O.P again, guaranteeing that I spend more time with him. I guess that wouldn’t be too bad as long as he wasn’t arrogant. Maybe he would give me a chance to fan girl. Or maybe it was G-Dragon. He was the only one that I hadn’t met yet, and that seemed more logical. I mean according to Paije and Rachel he wanted to meet me personally. What could be more personal than a car ride to a night club? I settled on the fact that it had to be G-Dragon and I became even more excited. I slipped the clear cover off of my dress. It was different, but you could still tell that it had some of it classic qualities. The chest gash was completely gone and in its place it rested slightly off the shoulder only supporting a slouchy sleeve on the other side. It wasn’t floor length but stopped exactly at the knee. Where the slide slashes had been, I saw that the designer kept them but sewed them so they didn’t go as high. I now had two mid-calf slits, but it was hiked up on the sides. It was a simple but y black dress that clung instead of flowed off my body, and when I put it on it still fit me like a glove sewn onto my hand. This dress made me look so hot I barely recognized myself in the mirror. My body had more curves and my legs looked amazing, long and toned. The white heels I wore with it definitely helped in that department. Not to sound conceited but I felt that I looked amazing. I strutted out of the hotel room and down the elevator. I was really anxious about meeting GD and I prayed to God that I wouldn’t pass out again. When I reached the lobby I found two tall boys casually standing next to a rather large green fern. When I recognized who they were, a wide grin started spreading across my face. When I got closer I became confused.

“I thought you wanted to hang out later in the week, not in the same day?” I asked puzzled.

“Couldn’t wait” Lee Seung Gi answered. “Where’s Paije?”