When Fate Decides To Give You Something, There Is No Gift Reciept

Once In A Lifetime

The car ride through Seoul back to my hotel was a mixture between awkward and extreme giddiness. We both couldn’t stop smiling about the kiss back at his house. The car was idle at a stoplight and I had been fighting the growing urge to look at him; I glanced quickly at him to find him smirking out of the window at the nearest passenger. He looked to me before biting his lower lip trying to contain his laughter.

“I hope you know this doesn’t change anything” I said fighting a smile.

                He shrugged his shoulders and flexed his hands around the steering wheel before etching the car forward. I recognized the street we were turning the corner onto and I knew that we were getting close to the hotel building. My phone buzzed in my almost dry from the RAIN (not BI RAIN but falling rain :P) sweatpants that I had changed back in to.

Call This Number, When You Get Back.

                I stared at the number trying to figure out who it belonged too. I didn’t recognize it, so I quickly replied okay before stuffing it back into my pocket. In no time at all Hyun Joong was parking the car near the entrance of the hotel. I hopped out of the car longing for some fresh air; awkwardness took up a lot of space and he popped open the trunk allowing me to get my stuff. When he got out of the car he grabbed my bag carrying it for me as we headed into the lobby. We were standing at the double door entrance when I turned around to face him.

“Thanks for today” I said as sincere as possible.

“Thanks for…earlier” he said raising his eyebrows up and down.

                My body went on a rollercoaster ride just at the mere reminder of that kiss. Shivers were speeding down my spine just thinking about it and it brought another devilish smile to both of our faces. I pursed my lips trying not to make it too obvious but it was of no use…his dark eyes were laughing with the same humor. My phone buzzed again, and I flipped it open to read the new text message.

Are you back in? If you are, call now.

                I obeyed the text message and began calling the number. The person on the other end picked up on the third ring.

“Hello?” I said hesitantly.

“Are you at the hotel?” It was a male voice that sounded very familiar but I couldn’t quite place it.

“Yes…who is this?”

“Devon…I am about to tell you something, something that you're going to be ecstatic about. But you must not show a reaction, arresso?”

“Okay” I said trying to keep my face calm.

“Auditions are still going on at the YG Building.”

                And at that my heart dropped forty feet below my shoes. I was staring at my heart, pulsating in front of me. I felt my eyes go wide before seeing Hyun Joong’s face reminding me that I had to keep my cool by showing no reaction.  

“Devon…Devon” the male voice on the end repeated. “Are you there?”

“Yes” I peeped. “I’m here.”

“You're going to have to act normal; otherwise my stalling the audition will be pointless” the male voice groaned into the phone.

“I’m fine” I promised. “I’m totally fine.”

“If you still want a chance, get here as soon as you can. I’ll give you fifteen minutes, starting now.”

                Click.

                My phone beeped finally letting me know that the call had ended and I smiled at the realization that I had my chance again. Hyun Joong looked at me worried as usual, but I knew I had to ignore it. He wasn’t going to stand in my way again, not this time.

“I’m going to see you later” I smiled at him before walking in the opposite direction of the elevator.

                I left my stuff in the middle of the floor of the lobby and I prayed to God that nobody would steal my stuff, but at this point it didn’t matter. I knew I had less than fifteen minutes to get to the YG Building and as soon as I stepped onto the pavement outside of the elevator, I broke into a run. Hyun Joong was running after me and I could hear him shouting at my back for me to stop, but that just pushed me to run even faster. I had to make it, I just had too. I pushed by people barely even apologizing for almost knocking them over but I had to keep moving, I knew that Hyun Joong would be right behind me wasting my time with excuses to not go. It was like I could feel his hand grabbing at my clothes and that pushed me to sprint even faster. When I saw the building the biggest smile spread across my face and I knew that I was going to make it. My phone buzzed again but I ignored it pushing open the massive YG doors looking for the assistant at the front desk. There was no one there, instead I saw the a few of the girls of the group who assaulted me in the stadium hallway walking out of the door. I looked at them and nodded as they continued to stare at me. I walked past them to the large YG map and began reading.

“It’s downstairs; in the biggest practice room” one of the girls said at my back as I continued to read.

I whipped my head around to look at the group. “Sure, like I’d believe that. It’s probably the exact opposite-”

“No!” the largest one said. “We can’t lie about that! We owe you to much.”

“It really is downstairs?” I said beginning to trust them.

                They all nodded yes.

“If not…I’ll tell this time.” I glared at them all. “Thank you” I said gratefully before sprinting towards the elevator.

                I pushed the button and stepped in just in time to hear Hyun Joong calling my name down the hallway. I pushed the DOOR CLOSE button rapidly trying to make it go faster and he missed me by an inch and I was able to hear him swear loudly before descending to the bottom level of YG. I laughed in victory! I knew he’d be pissed when I saw him again but it was too late, I was gliding out of the elevator into the empty hallway looking for the largest practice room. I found it! All five of them were sitting at a medium sized white rectangular table with a few coordinators standing behind them. I knocked on the door and the nearest person opened it to let me in. I smiled and bowed to the person before stepping to the middle of the floor.

“Hello…my name is Devon Ashford and I’m here for the audition” I smiled out of breath.

                The look on their faces was priceless. Taeyang was smiling so bright up at me I couldn’t help but return the same smile back. Seungri was grinning from ear to ear as well as he adjusted himself in his seat. G-Dragon nodded approvingly but Daesung looked like someone was about to be in trouble. Like he was about to witness an execution, and that theory was totally confirmed when I worked up enough courage to look at T.O.P’s face. It was furious. Gloriously furious. It was pure detestation! He clearly didn’t expect nor want me to be here and that made me feel incredible.

“Hello Devon” G-Dragon smiled. “I’m glad to see you're feeling better-”

“Yes! Very much so!” I grinned at him and he smiled bigger.

“So are you ready to start?” he asked me.

                I nodded enthusiastically.

“Alright, let’s begin” he nodded. “Can you dance-"

"No, she cannot" T.O.P said rather clamly. "Her doctors haven't cleared her to do simple movements, let alone an audition."

"Actually, I am perfectly able to do this audition" I smiled in his direction. "I'll prove it"

               I backed up a few steps before doing a cart-wheel before working it down into a sit position. Wrong move. My side screamed at me in pain and the twinge I thought I could ignore ruptured into a burning flame that I was absolutely sure everyone could see. I grinned through it adding a smirk when I finished the move. I rose up from the floor; just about everyone looked impressed except for T.O.P. All the color had drained from his face as he stared horror-stricken at me. I grabbed my side and  began messaging it.

"See" Seungri smiled at me. "She's perfectly fine."

            T.O.P retorted something in Korean and Seungri shot it right back.

"Since you missed the actual choreography, do you think you could do something from 2NE1?”

                I nodded.

“Okay, which dance routine would you feel most comfortable with?”

“I Am The Best” I answered confidently and Seungri smirked in my direction.

                I knew that dance like the back of my hand. Paije and I learned it trying to compete for a dance contest they were holding this past summer. I suddenly remembered my appearance and instantly took down my hair to give me the much added flair I needed in order to look halfway decent. I nodded and the music started. I began picturing myself on stage where I had a huge spotlight and somehow BIGBANG seemed to disappear from the room. I remembered one of the early conversations I had had with G-Dragon about him letting me borrow his swag. Not only did I borrow it, I put it to work. I was moving to the music; I began moving with the music. My side protested to every movement, but It was amazing and I knew even if I bombed the audition I had given it my best. All I wanted was a chance, and here I was taking it. Not just taking it, but owning it. My hands began tingling and I knew it had to come from the sudden adrenaline that I was feeling. I was on cloud twenty five and when the song ended I gracefully bowed out, feeling completely satisfied.

“Thank you” I smiled to each of them before walking out of the door leaving them stunned.  

~~~~

Will somebody please explain to me what the hell just happened?” I growled in aggravation.

                They were silent. I didn’t really need an explanation anyway, Devon had walked in and auditioned leaving us all completely confounded.

Well I think I’ve found my partner” Seungri smirked at me, ducking away before I could chuck my water bottle at him.

No!” I roared. “She’s not going to get picked remember?!”

“I never agreed to that” Seungri said satisfied.  

“Seung Hyun” Daesung said to Seungri.

What? I’m picking her. Devon Ashford is my partner.”

“I don’t want her anywhere close to that set!”

“T.O.P-hyun-” Taeyang began but i cut him off quickly.

“Was I the only one who noticed how much pain she was in?!"  I got up from the seat and walked into the hallway.

                I needed to clear my head. The very thing I beg him not to do is what he does; it didn’t make sense. First he wanted her sent home and now he wants her as a partner. As hard as she tried she couldn't hide how much each flick of her waist or every turn she took affected her. She was in pain, and it took every ounce of restraint I had not to stand up and cancel her performance.  

"T.O.P-hyun"

"What?!"

"“Seung Hyun,” Daesung said to me grabbing my shoulder. “I know you tried to keep her away, but obviously she wants to be here. So…stop fighting it, and let fate happen.”