When Something Seems to Good, Pinch Yourself Before You Do Something Embarassing

Once In A Lifetime

The airline shuttle came to my house around midnight the following Tuesday. Somehow Paije and I had managed to go to our schools and do really well on our finals. I’m not sure how at all come to think of it, because the euphoria we were experiencing not only blinded us but it cut off most of our senses except for speech. We told anyone who would listen. The lady at the coffee shop, the people in the supermarket; embarrassingly I had conversation with another girl while we were using the bathroom. She thought something unexplainably wrong happened in the next stall when my squealing became uncontrollable. But it didn’t matter! Why? Because we we’re going to Seoul!!!!

“Can I be brutally honest?” Greg hesitated on the Saturday before while we were sitting at a table in Starbucks Café.

“Sure?” I started to become fidgety, until I remembered it was Greg; which meant it was probably something to do with him. Not that Greg was a bad person; he was just selfish and conceded. He was very honest, loyal and true to his very core, it’s just consideration for others wasn’t mixed in there.

“You’re gonna kill me but here goes” He waited until I was sipping my ice coffee. “I don’t think you should go?” He was wincing.

                I almost choked! Scratch that, I did; I automatically started coughing and spluttering out words in between death.

“Calm down!” He said trying to pat me on the back.

                Calm down? CALM DOWN?! Sure, I’ll calm down. I’ll be cool, relaxed and totally understanding towards the fact that you want me to give up the greatest chance for eternal happiness that’s ever sat down in front of me. Sure I’m calm. AS IF. You would have thought that with this brain train I still wouldn’t have been upset; but I exploded at him anyway.

“Calm down? CALM DOWN?! Sure, I’ll calm down. I’ll be cool, relaxed and totally understanding towards the fact that you want me to give up the greatest chance for eternal happiness that’s ever sat down in front of me. Sure I’m perfectly calm.” I shouted at him even though he was barely 3 feet away.

He looked at me and smiled. “You’re going to South Korea by yourself…”

“Not true” I answered shaking my head vigorously. “Paije is going with me.”

 “I don’t want you to go”

“Since when do I ever do what you say?” I barked out a laugh.

“Never…otherwise you and I would be sitting somewhere making-out” he smirked.

                I sipped my coffee some more.

“I’m jealous Devon. You’re flying halfway around the world to meet 5 guys just to go crazy over and I’m right here. How’s that supposed to make me feel”

“Amazed that your friend is so dedicated” I couldn’t help but grin.

There was absolutely no way I was going to miss this trip. Even if our plane crashed into the sea, Paije and I would be floating on a wing paddling our way to shore. The free chance to meet them would be our will to survive. Nothing but death would stop us, and even then our spirits would probably haunt there concerts for all eternity. Death would be our backstage passes, not that I’d be making a death wish I mean, you can’t marry anyone if you’re a ghost.

“If you go, it’s over between us” Greg spoke with mock sincerity.
“There is no quote from any drama that could keep me from going” I glared at the fact he would stoop that low.

“Worth a try” he laughed.

                When the airline limo pulled into the airport Paije and I got out in a hurried fashion. We walked to the automated check-in stations and typed in our confirmation codes for our tickets. The machine spit out the tickets and when we snatched them it brought on a whole ‘other round of hysteria.

“You two must be the winners” a young girl with light blonde hair and hazel eyes guessed. She was wearing a UNQLO sweatshirt.

“G-Dragon’s?” I asked pointing to her t-shirt.

“Madison!” The girl called over. “Hi, I’m Rachel” she grinned happily, obviously she was giddy with excitement.

“You won the contest too?” Paije asked happy to meet another V.I.P.

“No I’m the guest-”

I won the contest” this new voice said comfortably cutting of Rachel.

                Paije and I glanced at each other. You know how you can just meet certain kinds of people and automatically know if you’re gonna like them or not; her four words made me feel as if she would be trouble.  Obviously this chick had a really bad attitude, but I figured since we’re going to a new place it’s better to have friends than enemies so I it up and was polite.

“Hi I’m Devon and this is my best friend Paije” we both we’re smiling at her with great effort.

“Hm.” She replied.

                Hm? That’s all you say after an introduction? Someone was gonna have to give this girl a crash course in some manners; I was still trying to be polite and for some reason it took more effort than usual.

“My name is Madison Olive Hawking.” She spoke her name like royalty, like we should be honored or something.

“Well Madison Olive Hawking” Paije mimicked in her tone of snooty upper-class, “are you excited for this trip?”

 “Absolutely!!!” shouted Rachel.

Madison held up a hand to cut her off, “You’ll have to forgive my friend; this is her first trip anywhere.”

                Rachel’s face fell a slight bit hinting embarrassment.

“It’s ours too” I replied, totally lying because Paije and I were always going somewhere. I guess it wasn’t a total lie because it would be our first time to South Korea. Rachel’s face picked up a little.

“Well I guess we’ll see you there-”

“We’re not sitting together?” I cut off Madison. I saw Paije release a pocket of air, I had to admit I was happy too. Rachel was cool, but Madison could’ve been left behind.

“As…if. We’re in first class; my father updated our flights. ” she said sweeping her long brown hair to one side before walking away.

“We’ll see you guys when we get there” Rachel said cheerfully before following.

“Rachel seems nice” Paije said a few seconds later.

“I don’t know about Madison though” I answered still speculating. “She seems really stuck-up.”

“Who cares” Paije reminded me.

“You're absolutely right! We’re going to meet our futures!” I squealed.

                I’m not sure how the time passed in a fourteen hour trip but it did. I think the pair of guys who sat across from us helped it along quickly.

“I’m so sorry, what are your names?” Kim Hyun Joong apologized across from me.

                I had resisted all urge to jump up and down in a seat while still strapped in it. Kim Hyun Joong from dramas like Boys Over Flowers and Playful Kiss and the leader of SS501 was sitting across from me smiling apologetically with Lee Seung Gi chuckling quietly at Paije’s gapping mouth.  

                My head had gone blank, no worse than blank. It lost all function and left my body wide eyed and smiling at this friendly celebrity. The only thing that was automatic was my breathing. Something bigger than butterflies we’re in my stomach. My insides not only felt like they were on a rollercoaster but like I was in one of those rapid spinney things that astronauts use at NASA.

“Your name?” Hyun Joong repeated although in my head he sang it.

“D…D…Dev…De.” I stuttered.

“And your friend” Seung Gi winked at Paije.

                That did it. Booth Paije and I started squealing uncontrollably. The elders on the plane looked at us as Seung Gi and Hyun Joong grabbed their stomachs in laughter. The flight attendant came over to us and told us to follow her to obviously put us in the plane’s detention center, but Seung Gi stepped in to save us from the potential threat of jail. It took us two hours in order to calm down enough to get used to them, which partially was there fault because they kept doing little things like winking and smiling and leaning towards us and singing; which would start another round of silent hysteria. Paije and I went to every elderly passenger to say “죄송합니다” (Joesonghabnida), for our behavior. When we got back to our seats Hyun Joong flashed a bright smile right towards me.

“Uh-huh. Not gonna work” I challenged determined. “I’ve spent a lot of my voice fan-girling over you, and I need to conserve” I giggled.

“Just thought I should try” he smiled again. “But it is a 14 hour flight.”

“What about you?” Seung Gi asked Paije leaning forward allowing his eyes to brood.

“Daesung” I chanted low enough for her to hear.

                Paije closed her eyes and chanted Daesung slowly getting louder with each chant.

“Ha Ha hah!!!” she exploded. “I can do it. I love you but I’m not falling for it that easily” she grinned in triumph.

“Daesung?” Seung Gi repeated. “Are you the American winners?”

“From the contest?” Hyun Joong asked.

“Two of them. The other two are in first class” I sighed; it was easier for me to talk to Lee Seung Gi than Kim Hyun Joong because he wasn’t my bias; but it was still totally cool.

“We met them” he replied.

“Which is why we moved” Hyun Joong finished smiling still, laughing at some private joke.

“They we’re worse than us?” My face rose slightly.

“No.” Lee Seung Gi laughed.

“Joesonghabnida” I bowed again showing my sincerity.

“It was surprisingly funny. I liked it more than I should” Hyun Joong admitted.

“Well I hope you enjoyed it, because I don’t plan on that happening again for a while. I need to save my voice.”

“For who?” Hyun Joong’s eyes suddenly became very curious.

“T.O.P” I said his name with reverence.

“Daesung and T.O.P” Seung Gi pointed to each of us with his eyes fixed on Paije. “Is this your first time to Korea?”

                Answer Paije. For the love of Jesus Christ and American K-Pop fans everywhere, please answer.    

“Yes, but I’m looking to do study abroad in the future.” Paije said confidently regaining her composure to make up for our previous embarrassment.

“Very Impressive” he smiled.

                I couldn’t help notice that Kim Hyun Joong was watching me. I tried not to notice I really did, but every time I looked at him his eyes we’re already in a fixed position waiting for mine. It made my heart flutter and I couldn’t help think how I was going to respond when I saw T.O.P. I prayed to God that I would have a silent fit or faint on the spot instead of screaming my head off like I would normally do when we watched videos. Maybe meeting Kim Hyun Joong was really good practice.

                We spent most of the flight talking to them about the United States and how excited we were to be going to Seoul. When they asked us our favorite drama that they were in we spent a few hours talking about which parts we loved and parts we cried from sadness or anger. Lee Seung Gi and Paije fell asleep around 6 hours in, while Hyun Joong and I talked and looked out the window to see big puffy white clouds underneath the wings of the airplane. Nothing but the dim airplane reading lights over our heads were on, everyone else seemed to be sleeping.

“Can I ask you something?” Hyun Joong asked me.

                I nodded curious by the next question.

“Why do you like my character Ji Hoo?”     

“Do you have time for an answer?” I smiled.

                He nodded.

“He’s artistic, talented, his style is classic. He’s got a troubled past but he’s able to work through it. He’s good-looking. Sweet, caring, compassionate, did I mention good-looking and artistic?”

He smiled. “Okay so why do you like T.O.P?”

“T.O.P’s personality is similar to Ji Hoo, except for the troubled past part. Plus he seems funny and dedicated to what he loves and he cares a lot about his work whether acting or rapping. Plus he’s good-looking, but also modest.” I squeaked.

Hyun Joong rolled his eyes. “You're too funny Devon.” He got quiet. “What about me? What do you like about me?”

“I’m not sure anymore” I admitted. “You're similar to Ji Hoo as well except you seem to have more of a sense of humor than him and T.O.P.”

                He grinned wider.

“Can I ask you a favor?”

“What?” He asked waving his arm open, as if inviting the request.

“It might be hard, but could you stop smiling?”

“Huh?” With a new expression of confusion on his face replacing the smile.

“Smiling. Can you stop?” I laughed a little at what I was asking, but if I was ever going to save my fan-girling he would have to stop.

“Why?” he chuckled.

“Do you know how many times I’ve wished to meet you? It’s harder to stop squealing when you smile” I explained.

“Oh” he spoke trying not to but he totally failed at it. “It’s hard not to smile with you”

                What???!!! Did he really just say that? It’s hard not to smile with me? Baby…it’s hard to sit in this seat with you less than two feet away. Especially when you say random compliments like that. I actually pinched myself, surely I was dreaming.

“Oh…oppa” I felt myself say.

“Dev, wake up!!!” Paije pushed me.

                It was a dream. Nooooo!!!!

“Paije I had the best dream ever, Lee Seung Gi was there and so was Kim Hyun Joong and we were all…”

                Kim Hyun Joong was holding a bagel in front of my face.

“You're even funnier at night”

“Oh…Oppa” Lee Seung Gi teased as Kim Hyun Joong made kissing noises.

                If I could’ve crawled somewhere to hide from the shame that washed over me I would. I quickly grabbed a blanket and covered my head before asking how many hours I of embarrassment I had to endure.

“C’mon, breakfast is getting cold.” He nudged my foot with his trying to coax me out.

                I peeked from behind the blanket. He was still pushing a bagel near my face encouraging me to eat. I took it and thanked him.  

“How long are you staying in Seoul?” Seung Gi asked Paije.

“Three weeks at least” she answered whipping out an app on her smart-phone showing a detailed outline of the schedule. “Photo-shoots, rehearsals, V.I.P events, concerts, parties.”

“May I see?” he asked while taking the phone. “You can get away from the group?”

“Well, I’m not sure if we are supposed to-” Paije started.

“But you will try, right Devon?”

“What?” I asked in between a bite of my bagel. Why did this man always have to catch me in the weirdest situations? "

“To come see us of course” Seung Gi smiled. “Obviously they need tour guides” he smiled to Hyun Joong.