Tis A Far Far Better Thing That I Do Now, Then I've Ever Done Before

Once In A Lifetime

“Honestly! How rude can one girl be?!” Madison whined.

“I don’t know, you seem to be an expert so tell us!” Paije snapped.

                We got to the room and thank God it was large enough that it was separated but connected by a living room. The rooms we’re spaced to fit two to a room but four to a suite. There was a God and right now he was treating me like I was one of his favorite kids.

“Rachel” Madison snapped her fingers walking ahead. “Bags.”

                Rachel trudged her feet to get both her luggage and Madison’s. She was totally pushing the friendship boundaries. I wished Rachel would’ve refused but the look she had on her face was that’s how I earn this trip. I had to give it to Rachel. She became a slave in order to see the five men she loved, and that type of dedication is why she deserved to be here. Rachel smiled a little smile and then winked at us before she closed the door to their part of the suite.

“Do you believe her?!” Paije almost shouted.

                The representative cleared his throat quietly at the door. He was so stealthy I forgot he was there.

“Would you like to have a seat?”

 “Thank you” he nodded politely.

“My name is Devon” I bowed showing respect. "This is Paije"

“I am Sim Bon-Hwa” he bowed to me.

“Sim Sunbae!” Paije tried it out bowing. “Is that okay?”

“That is fine” he nodded and a light smile touched his face. “May I ask a question?”

                We nodded.

“Are you both normally this funny?”

“What do you mean?” Paije laughed.

“With the other girl and the boy in the elevator. You two are very honest but funny.”

“I don’t like ungrateful or rude people, and I don’t like people who think they are better than others either” I admitted easily. “Everyone should try to be polite.”

“That is a good way to live” he agreed.

“Sim Sunbae, what do you think of this dress?”

                Paije held up a strapless black a-line dress with a slight poof at the bottom. It was simple but classic, perfect for any event.

“You should save it for the party later tonight with all of the V.I.P’s. Perhaps something more floral?”

                He walked over to her dress bag and ped it. He went through our dresses until he found two lightly colored summer dresses that seemed more appropriate. He approved our accessories and even double checked our hair-updos. Sim Sunbae was easily becoming one of my favorite people.

“I have to go check on the other girls. You will be early but you can proceed to the Tea if you want,” he said. “We will meet with you shortly” he bowed before leaving.

                Paije and I looked in the mirror a final time deciding that we looked nothing less than amazing; we took our room keys and proceeded to the elevator. We stepped in and there we saw the same complaining British boy from earlier. Unlike him who rolled his eyes, we stepped in with a smile playing around the corners of our mouths. We stayed quiet for a long time as the elevator took it’s time going through each individual floor in order to reach the rooftop garden.

“I don’t think we were ever properly introduced” I started.

“Well it’s sort of hard for an introduction to survive through closing elevator doors” he stated coldly.

“I’m sorry” I apologized. “I take it you are the United Kingdom winners?”

“Yes” the new face with light brown eyes answered. He was wearing a navy blue polo with light khakis. His face was a little round but slightly angular. When he smiled he had deep dimples. Everything about this boy seemed friendly compared to his friend. "My name is Egan and this is Kendrick. And you are?"

"Paije, and this is Devon" we both smiled. "We're from the States."

"Really? I never would've guessed it" Kendrick he joked with heavy sarcasm.

              I rolled my eyes at this slight insult, and kept quiet while Paije and Egan engaged in more in depth conversations. When the elevators finally reached the Rooftop Garden I was speechless. The elaborate tables decorated with special ornaments and place settings were almost magical. The theme was clearly white and the silver and black accents reminded me of The White Queen's Palace in Alice and Wonderland. Sheer canopies we're streamed across the poles of the tent and I could tell Yiruma's music was dancing lightly above our heads. A waitress came to us and asked for our names before sitting all four of us at one of the five long tables. She showed us to the first four seats near the end (or beginning of the table depending on how you looked at it). 

"It looks like we're sitting together" Egan said enthusiastically before pulling out Paije's seat.

           Great, it was just my luck that I would have to sit next to the pompous idiot who already despised me. Why couldn't I sit next to the jolly boy who seemed to behave humanly.

"Paije! Maybe it's possible we could switch seats-"

"I don't think that's allowed" Kendrick interrupted. "They are assigned" he said even more arrogantly pulling out my chair and gesturing towards the card with my name elegantly printed on it.

"I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to swap the cards" I protested.

"Just sit" he groaned as I sat quietly with a slight pout.

         Paije and Egan we're happily chatting away at the table while Kendrick and I stayed perfectly quiet. Eventually more and more V.I.P's started filling in the seats next to and surrounding us. When Sim Bon-Hwa walked in with Madison and Rachel, I motioned for them to sit next to us. When Madison saw that I was sitting next to Kendrick a glare started forming on her face and both Rachel and Sim Bon-Hwa took notice. Rachel was placed across from Egan, and I was glad because Egan's positively happy personality deserved to remain untainted by Madison's sour mood who was stuck sitting across from Paije; although he seemed like the type to be used to it compared to Kendrick's personality.

"My name is Rachel and this is Madison" she smiled warmly at Egan forming a small blush around her face.

"I'm Egan and this is Kendrick-"

"Kendrick!" Madison giggled. "What a perfect name for such a glorious physique" she smiled.

        She was really laying it on thick. How much more obvious could she be? Okay it was apparent that he was good-looking, but this guy’s ego was already at an amazing height? Any more confidence we wouldn’t be able to breathe for lack of oxygen. But then I started thinking. All Kendrick would have to do was like Madison and I was almost 100% positive that she would trade seats with me. I stared at him waiting for a reaction, an acknowledgement at least but it was as if he didn't hear her. I stared at him longer with a perplexed look on my face.

"Devon, would you kindly explain why you are looking at me like that?" He asked turning to face me.

          Somehow I became caught up in his beautiful blue eyes, but I quickly regained my composure and returned my gaze back to my plate. I could only imagine Madison’s face, it was probably turning red from fury. A  tall Middle-Eastern girl walked in wearing an elaborate yellow tunic with flowing matching pants came in followed by a younger girl in a similar outfit in light pink; they sat across from me and Kendrick.

“Hello” she spoke clearly. “My name is Aaliya and this is my younger sister Aaina. We are from India” she smiled. The little girl smiled even bigger.

                Except for the age difference they looked identical; Aaliya looked around our age either nineteen or twenty, but the miniature version looked about twelve or thirteen. Both with large doe eyes and deep long eyelashes, full lips and bright cheerful smiles. 

“Nice to meet you” I said easily. “I’m Devon and this is Kendrick.”

                He nodded and showed a hint of a smile. So at least he could be polite; well that was a relief. Maybe there was hope for him after all; I took a sip of water at this theory.

“Are you two together?” Aaina asked curiously.

                At that I choked on some water. Paije looked at me trying to figure out why I was having fits. Thank God Kendrick spoke up.

“Heavens no” he laughed once. “We just happen to be sitting next to each other. Our guests are right here” Paije and Egan waved.

                Okay, I know I don’t like him in the least; he’s not my type, but why does he have to make it seem like there is something wrong with me? I’m the normal one, he’s the pompous claustrophobic freak. So I glared at him and then smiled at Aaina. One by one the tables started filling up and we were soon hushed by Kim Mi-Hi’s voice once again.

“Ladies & Gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you BIGBANG!!!”

                My heart stopped and froze in place. Chills started in the pit of stomach and rose until it constricted my voice and I froze. I felt my mouth go dry and my hands started shaking. One of their old songs  “Top Of The World” started playing through the table speakers as each of them started to walk across the threshold of the rooftop garden. Daesung leading the march followed by T.O.P, Taeyang, Seungri and G-Dragon. At that I couldn’t contain myself anymore. I joined in with the rest of the screaming people and shook my hands in small circles in excitement. I screamed and screamed to my heart’s content and I didn’t feel out of place at all especially with Kendrick’s constant “YEA GD! YOU'RE MY BOY!!!!” shouts and yells. Paije was jumping up and down with Rachel sitting across the table shouting “DAE OPPA.” Even Madison the fake played along and finally started yelling and jumping screaming “BIGBANG” repeatedly. Everyone was in a euphoric state, and it was magical. Each one of them left the steps and gracefully stepped over to one of the five tables. Daesung sat at our table and our table speaker started playing “Baby Don’t Cry”; he sat at the place setting right next to me. I was so grateful to Kendrick for making me sit there I almost leaned over to kiss him on the cheek. I strained my head away from his bright shining glorious eye smiles to look at Paije’s face. Her eyes we’re bright with enthusiasm and  I could already tell she was about to explode.

“Daesung-ssi, my name is Devon and I think you're wonderful; however may I trade seats with my guest, you are her bias. I know being this close to you would absolutely change her life” I smiled.

                He was surprisingly easy to talk too. His smile was infectious and I couldn’t help but feel growing warmth in my heart. He seemed very relaxed and easy going and that sort of calmed the situation down a little. Just about everyone at the table froze at my sacrifice. But I figured, I loved him but not as much as Paije. He was her bias, and this was her moment to tell him. Daesung nodded in agreement as I gracefully arose from my seat to walk over to Paije. She was still frozen in shock and I had to nudge her hard in order to get her to move. But she did, she kept it calm until he asked for her name and then she let loose a scream so wild, strangers might have thought something was wrong. She pulled it together, much faster than me if things had been reversed and she was already apologizing to him. His smile grew even bigger, every time he looked away Paije took the opportunity to squeal silently but when he turned to face her she was in perfect composure. I was so proud of her, she definitely had more self-control than anyone else in the room. I sipped the tea in front of me while Paije and the rest of the table gushed to Daesung about our individual countries.

“You don’t talk much, do you?” Daesung asked looking towards me.

                Egan did me the biggest favor by gently pressing my foot with his, causing enough pain to get a reaction.

“Devon right?”

“Yes I do talk, I mean. Yes I’m Devon” I smiled embarrassed.

“I think you can take your seat back; we are each taking turns going around to meet the fans. And thanks to you I am already quite well acquainted with Ms. Paije Morgan.”

                He smiled at her once again before leaving for the table next to us. Sim Sunbae told us there was a ten minute break in between the swapping of idols, because they needed a break and Taeyang had personally suffered an attack from an excited fan from his first table. It was good that we were going to have breaks, we needed to discuss what had just happened.

“Dev!!!” Paije rushed up to hug me from behind. “You are absolutely the most thoughtful and self-sacrificing person in the history of the world!!!” She hugged me even tighter as I laughed.

“You’d do the same for me if it was T.O.P. Besides it’s Kang Daesung and he said my name!!!” I squealed.

“We talked for so long!!!!” Paije practically sang returning to her seat.

“Technically, he-” Madison started out.

“Shut-up and let the girl have her moment!” Kendrick said, surprising us all by sticking up for her.

                Madison started to whimper, while the rest of us became silent. Kendrick sipped his tea as if he had just complimented the weather. Paije, Egan, Rachel, Aaliya and I were all wide-eyed with wonder. Thankfully the intro to the next song started playing on the table speaker… Wedding Dress by Taeyang!!!! A giddiness automatically started taking over. I became excited slightly sit jumping up and down in my seat as I sang the words to the table. It took every ounce of restraint I had not to get up and do the choreography to one of my favorite songs. Aaliya started singing too and I knew I had found my singing partner. We knew all the words and it was working up to the second chorus and then the table speaker became louder.

“The quality of the song is really good, it’s like in HD” I said with my eyes close bobbing to the music singing the words.

“I didn’t know my voice sounded that good live” he commented.

                My eyes popped open, and there he was. Sitting next to me looking magnificent as ever in his signature button down white shirt with a black vest. The entire table went wild! Egan hopped up to hug him, but Taeyang extended his hand.

“No offense, but I’ve taken all the hugs I can endure today” he apologized gesturing to his side to show soreness.

“No problem! It’s such a great honor to meet you!!!” Egan practically squealed his voice was so high, before he brought it back down. “I’m uh…big fan” his voice appearing deeper than before.

“Cool. Thank you so much for the support.”

                My mouth hung open for what seemed like an eternity. I was stuck in a gaze, no a trans that no one could pull me out  of because I refused to leave.

“Are you okay little one?”

                Me? Are you talking to me? Answer Devon…Answer!!!! Kendrick stepped on my foot a little harder than necessary but it was worth it, I got my sense of speech back.

“I’m very happy” I said totally dazed.

                Okay I said I got speech back, I never said anything about coherency.

“You have a very lovely voice; you performed my song beautifully” he praised.

                ANSWER!!! ANSWER!!! PLEASE SAY SOMETHING SMART!!!!

“Aaliya has a great voice too” I smiled in her direction and she responded in her thanks.

“Maybe you both will consider doing karaoke with me at tonight’s party?” His eyes filled with hope.

“Definitely!” Aaliya screamed startling him a little but he laughed.

“Promise?” He looked directly at me.

“Only if Egan does it with us” I turned to face him. Egan was caught up in the same trans as me, and when he finally realized what was going on he started screaming; until he regained his cool façade.

“Uh-yea. I’m up for it. Jolly good fun”

                Kendrick rolled his eyes at his friend’s embarrassment. Taeyang turned my name card and read my name.

“Devon Ashford. I won’t forget” he smiled rising to walk away.

                I could feel my lungs melting, collapsing my ability to convert oxygen into carbon dioxide. It was the next break and suddenly Egan was thanking me.

“I know we just met, but that has to be one of the greatest things anyone has ever done for me” he smiled even bigger in relief.

“Are you forgetting the one who brought you here?” Kendrick quizzed.

“Man, singing with my role model versus coming here as a your guest I.V.I.P? Yes…I’m pretty sure she beats you mate” Egan winked at me which caused me to giggle.

                From the corner of my eye I saw Rachel’s face pucker. Madison had spent most of the day fixing her hair and practicing mock enthusiasm.

“Kendrick, may I ask you a question?” Madison asked him. “Who is your bias?”

“Why?” His mood seemed to drop the moment she said his name.

“Just trying to see if we have anything in common. It would be nice to know who to send the wedding invitation too.” She laughed a laugh where she tried to pass it off as a joke but we all knew she was serious.

“I don’t think you have to worry about that for us” He laughed as if the thought were ridiculous.

“I was only joking” Madison scrambled trying to recover.

“Don’t get me wrong, you're pretty, snobbish and self-centered. Character traits that would normally …”

                Madison smiled at the series of compliments that flowed easily from his mouth; but she should have paid more attention to Kendrick’s style. He was the type of bully to take you for a rollercoaster ride; build you up before crushing you to pieces.  Things were already getting heated, everyone could tell. So like any good table we sat back and waited for the explosion to happen.

“However, every girl I’ve dated is a V.I.P and you my dear counterfeit, are not a I.V.I.P.”

“What are you talking about? I’m the winner! I clearly belong here” she protested.

“If you're a V.I.P, then I am the Queen of Spain doing the funky chicken on my private yacht”

                And at that I laughed out loud. She shot an icy stare at towards me as everyone at the table stared including Kendrick, who kept his face smooth but he allowed his bright blue eyes to dance. Okay I know I was going against my personal rule of everyone should be polite, however I really tried with this girl. It was a big favor from me that I didn’t embarrass her in front of an idol or let the other members know she was a fake.  She was a rude thorn in everyone’s side and now she was finally getting what she earned. I’d be lying to if I said I wasn’t slightly delighted; everyone knew I would eventually come to her rescue. But it was nice watching her squirm for a minute or two.

“What because I don’t know every tiny detail about them I’m not a fan?!”

                Rachel tugged on her arm trying to quiet her but it did no good the damage was done.

“Out of sheer reverence, there is absolutely no way you could fix your hair while Daesung and Taeyang sit at the same table. Besides, any true V.I.P could tell you from my reactions which one is my bias” he edged smirking.

“You mean to tell me you could ask anyone at this table and they would know?” Madison challenged and laughed  nervously.

“Well I already know you can’t” he rebuffed.

“If I can, can we go out?”

                Okay things were getting interesting. Part of me hoped that she would guess correctly so this embarrassment would stop and maybe she could redeem herself but we all knew she wasn’t going to get it right.

“To humor you, I’ll agree to it.”

                Everyone sat a little taller on their seats. I don’t ever remember ten minutes moving this slowly but it crawled even slower than a snail on its way to France.  Madison gulped in a pocket of air before she answered.

“Seungri” Madison answered confidently.

                In unison the entire table sighed; Rachel’s insignificant amount of hope plummeted.

“What?!” Madison shrieked.

“You got it wrong” Aaina’s small voice spoke up.

“Really? What is it then you little twerp?” Madison screech.

“Hey! Watch it! It’s not her fault you didn’t get it” I finally spoke up. “A blind man could tell his bias is G-Dragon.”

“The Gecko?!” she yelped.

                We all looked at her stunned. She actually had a nerve to call the leader of BIGBANG a gecko. With the looks on our faces you would have thought God came down and slapped us individually. Rachel was so embarrassed big fat tears started to well up in her eyes. Egan reached over to touch her hand to comfort her.  Madison was furious; and the fact that I answered made it even worse.

“Rachel!” She yelled as if commanding a dog to fetch. “Are you coming?”

“You can’t leave yet” Egan pleaded to Rachel. “We have to meet T.O.P, Seungri and the Gecko”

                The whole mood of the table seemed to lighten up with everyone bursting into laughter. Egan handed Rachel his handkerchief and she began wiping away her tears and joining in  with the rest of us.

“See you at the Party” She responded coldly, stomping her feet dramatically leaving the rooftop garden.

“I’m really in for it now” Rachel laughed a little harder.

“Why do you take that from her?” Aaliya asked.

“It’s the only way I know how to pay her for this trip. This is never going to happen again for me, so I need to make the most of it” Rachel admitted.

“How do you two know each other?” Egan questioned.

“My dad works for her family. We live in a flat above their garage which is okay because her garage is large enough to room all of us comfortably. Our parents are forcing us to hang out with each other. She’s a newbie to k-pop and so far that’s the only thing we can find common ground on. She doesn’t know many groups but she’s trying. I’ve been quizzing her night and day. pneumonic devices seem to help” Rachel defended.

“Wow…” I drifted.

“Don’t get me wrong, she’s a terrible person with a horrible perspective on middle and lower class; but it’s because she doesn’t know any other way to live. So I’m still trying to give her a chance you know?”

                And with that the next song started playing, V.I.P by Seungri. He entered the room first and walked to our table. He smiled at Aaina because she was the youngest before drawing his eyes to Aaliya. He grinned at all of us with his dark panda eyes before getting everyone of our names. Aaliya seemed the most caught up and we all could automatically tell that he was her bias. We respectfully allowed her to claim most of his attention, until he brought up the upcoming audition for their new music video.

“You know from the moment I saw you, I knew you were a good dancer” he complimented smoothly.

“How?” Aaliya practically melted.

“Your smile.” he breathed. “It’s beautiful; beauty shines from within, therefore it will be present in all aspects.”

                Everyone at the table pretty much heard Aaliya’s heart stop. Oh he was so smooth.

“I can’t even get upset” I heard Kendrick whisper to himself.

“What are you talking about?” The words escaped so fast I couldn’t catch them, especially with the driving force being my curiosity.

“He really is the smoothest one. That line was delivered so flawlessly, even I almost fell for it.”

“What line?” I hissed afraid he might hear but he was so caught up with Aaliya.

“Oh c’mon. Beauty shines from within…what a load of bullock?!” He laughed. “If I had said it to you, you would’ve seen through it.”

“Probably, but you don’t make me squeal.”

“I’d like to try” he grinned.

                I don’t believe this! There was no way I was gonna fall for this guy; he had to be delusional. I was about to tell him this but Seungri politely interrupted.

“And what about you?  Do you dance?” Seungri asked me pulling himself away from Aaliya.

“Huh?”

“Do you dance?” he asked again.

“A little” I admitted.

“She’s being really modest” Paije insisted. “She’s the best dancer I know.”
“Really?” He seemed impressed.

“Paije?!” I groaned. Way to put more pressure on me than physically possible.

“This is no time to be modest. At the audition you have to show us what you’ve got! How else will we pick the best.” He patted my shoulder. “My time is up, so I will see you all later tonight at the party.”

                And with that he left, allowing Aaliya’s heart to restart rhythm. Aaliya looked crazy-happy. Like those types of people who should be angry but end up laughing. Her happiness was unreadable; a mixture between madness and ecstasy.

“Did he have to be so wonderful?” Aaliya spoke slowly not really looking for an answer.

Kendrick pulled out a napkin and handed it to her. “Careful now, you're drooling.”

                She snapped out of it and started fixing her appearance.

“I wonder who’s coming next” Egan asked excitedly.

“It’s either G-Dragon or…” Rachel began but was cut off by T.O.P’s Turn It Up.

                My eyes narrowed in on the table speaker. My heart started to accelerate, I could feel it wanting to leap out of my chest. I folded my arms in front of me to keep that from happening. My hands became sweaty and I could feel them swelling as I flexed them. My breathing became ragged and I could feel the room getting smaller. Kendrick passed me a napkin with cool water splashed lightly onto it. I pressed it feverishly to my face, trying my hardest to calm the roaring rollercoaster in my body. My stomach was twisting and turning.

“Are you alright?” a deep voice asked. And I knew with every fiber of my being that this was the man I had known and loved all of my life.

                I became light-headed, and the Almighty God above allowed me to pass out.