It's Really Hard Being Sneaky, When The Other Person Knows Too

Once In A Lifetime

“Sleep well?” He asked watching me.

“I didn’t want to wake up” I smiled a little remembering what the dream was.

“Good dream?”

“Yea…it was strange though. You and T.O.P were-”

“What?” His face covered in curiosity.

“Nothing” I said yawning. “What brings you here?”

“What usually brings me here?” he said smiling. “I heard you were getting out today.”

“How?" I looked confused. "I didn’t tell-”

“I asked the nursing staff” he said easily. “I was wondering if I could bring you back?”

“Really?!” I squealed before semi-thrashing in my hospital bed. 

                No matter how much time I spent with him, each new realization that we would be spending time together sent my heart flying. He rolled his eyes before rising up to get out of his seat.

“I’ll be back in an hour or so.”

“Where are-”

                He gestured towards his guitar that I had just noticed for the first time.

                “I promised some kids that I would play for them” he said picking it up and walking out of the door.

“Play well!” I yelled.

“No promises!” He yelled back, his footsteps becoming more distant down the hallway.

                 I went to the bathroom and washed and changed myself. Paije had brought me a change of clothes in a backpack; since the one's that I had been admitted in were ruined from the attack and the Emergency Staff ripping and tearing cloth to get to the damage. She packed me a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt with a pair of sneakers. I was so happy that she decided to keep it comfortable instead of flashy. I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror. My face had no bruises or cuts on it at all and I was thankful for that because I had no make-up to cover up anything. I looked at my arms and chest area; the dark bruises were beginning to fade away. I twisted and turned just like the doctor had instructed me to do yesterday and my side weakly protested to the movement. I could ignore it for a few minutes; I knew I’d be fine just as soon as they announced my name as one of the five finalists. I looked at my hair and became thankful that Paije had packed me a brush. My hair was kept in a loose bun so I brushed through it before sweeping it back up into a ponytail. I did a few jumping jacks and jogged in place for a minute or two before remembering that I still had a car ride to get through and I didn’t have any deodorant. I looked at the clock and saw that it had only taken me 30 minutes to get ready. I walked out into the room and made my hospital bed. Even though I knew they were going to get rid of the sheets t gave  me something to do. I sat on the bed patiently for a few minutes before Dr. Lee came in.

“Morning” I said enthusiastic enough to get him to smile.

“Morning Devon…how are you feeling?”

“Never better” I smiled.

“I just need you to sign a couple of forms and you can go” he said extending the clipboard to me.

                I looked them over carefully before signing it; it only passed a few minutes.

“It was a pleasure to meet you. Let me know if there are any complications” he looked at me warningly.

“Thank you for everything” I said genuinely; bowing before extending my hand so he could shake it.

                When I left the room an enormous weight had been lifted. The Hyun Joong coloring books were safely tucked away with my other belongings in the backpack, and I stepped in the elevator to read the floor directory. The Children’s Ward was two floors down, so I rode the two flights before stepping out into a long hallway. The front desk was placed outside the elevator entrance, and the two staff persons looked at me strangely before returning to their files. I smiled before heading to my right where there were nothing but rooms. I walked by each one unsure if Hyun Joong was visiting someone in particular or if he was seeing more than one. A man dressed in a loose shirt and jeans walked by quickly in the opposite direction, he looked like he was running late for something.

“Excuse me!”

                He turned around just as quickly before rambling in Korean. The look on my face clearly told him that I hadn’t caught any of it. He sighed heavily.

“I’m so sorry…I cannot…help you” his Engrish came out slowly, before he smiled and turned away.

“You're…You are- Park Jung Min!”

                  He stopped dead in his tracks.

“Park Jung Min! Jung Min Oppa!!!”

                He looked at me strangely as I was calling him by his name. I was absolutely positive that this was Park Jung Min. A face like his wasn’t common! With his long face and cat like slits for eyes, I’d know that face just about anywhere. Even though he was my least favorite of SS501 I knew that he was Park Jung Min! Even if I was wrong, this man was going to help me.

“You..know-me?” It came out astonished.

“Yes. I’m looking for Kim Hyun Joong” I said demonstrating “to look” with my hands. I probably looked like a sailor searching for land instead of a girl looking for a man.

“You are sick” He began looking sad. “Hyun Joong?”

“Yes!!! Hyun Joong Oppa!!!”

                He grabbed my wrist and dragged me into the opposite direction I had been heading in. He took me to a lobby where it opened up to a room with nothing but windows. There were five chairs set up in front of the largest span of windows and each member besides Park Jung Min occupied a seat. Park Jung Min pointed to Hyun Joong in the middle and let me go to take his seat on the end. I sat in the back behind some kids on the carpet. Park Jung Min tapped Hyun Joong on the knee and pointed to me before turning to a little girl and smiling his Cheshire cat smile. Hyun Joong squinted a little before realizing it was me and then he began smiling too. Kim Kyu Jong started speaking in Korean and all of the kids began to quiet down to listen. The first song they started playing was a Love Like This and I found myself singing with the other kids to the song. I knew most of the words and when they got to Love Ya, I started in a silent round of fan-girling. Heo Young Saeng laughed happily when he saw my flailing arms whipping circles unashamed. Hyun Joong gave me a weird look while continuing to sing his part of the song. Each member took turns singing some of their solo work; I fan-girled for all of them but not as much as I did for Hyun Joong when he sang his new single Kiss Kiss. I completely lost it, and it was wonderful; some of the kid patients looked at me like I was behaving immature, which made me stop immediately. I remained quiet for the rest of the set, and it was not the hardest thing to do especially when they started singing songs from Boys Over Flowers. And right on cue, I began crying as soon as the guitar intro started for Because I’m Stupid. I sniffled quietly as they each took a different part of the song making it the most complicated cover I had ever heard of this song. They ended the performance with Let Me Be The One and they had the kids sing along. It had to be the most adorable thing I had ever seen. Hyun Joong found my face again and gave me the biggest smile I had ever seen, he motioned me over to where he was and I quickly leaped off the floor to meet him and the rest of the SS501 members.

“I’d like you to meet-”

“Heo Young Saeng, Park Jung Min, Kim Kyu Jong and Kim Hyung Jun!!!!” I squealed happily.

“Oh so you're Triple S?” Kim Kyu Jong asked me.

“Sorta” I squealed again. “You all were wonderful”

“Guys this is-”

“Devon” the rest of them answered in unison. Kim Hyung Jun was slightly smiling as Hyun Joong formed the tiniest rose tint to his skin.

“We heard about your accident…how are you feeling?” Kim Kyu Jong asked me again.

“Much better after your performance!”

                I almost spun around I was so happy. Paije picked an awful day not to come see me at the hospital, she loved them just as much as me. Young Saeng coughed and Hyun Joong rocked on his heels. The rest of the members smiled and backed away slowly, nodding to me before turning around to go off and meet the other patients.

“Well…” he hedged.

“You were incredible” I said in awe, as his smile grew bigger. “You all were!”

“I’m glad you liked it” he said playing it cool. “But seriously what is with you and that song?”

“What song?”

“Because I’m Stupid” he laughed. “I saw you tear up...again.”

“That song is forever guaranteed to make me cry” I defended giving him a great smile.

“Are you all set to leave?”

“As soon as you are.”

                He nodded before leaving me to go talk with his band members. They kept glancing at me with their warm smiles and every now and then one of them would shove Hyun Joong playfully. One of the medical staff members began lining up the children with their families to begin taking pictures of the group. Laughter and squeals filled the room when SS501 began taking pictures. In no time at all Hyun Joong came to me again.

“You want to see a movie?”

“Sure?” I said hesitantly.

“Well you don’t have to if you don’t want too” he exaggerated with effort.

“Of course I want too!” I grabbed my grumbling stomach and looked down.

“Maybe we should stop for food first?”

                I laughed and he put his arm around my lower back and guided me out of the lobby and back into the elevator. We went down to the main entrance of the hospital with ease, and we stayed quiet for most of the time. Every now and then we would sense each other stealing glances at one another and when our eyes met accidently, it brought on a sheepish smile from him but a round of silent hysteria from me.

“Wait here” he said at the patient pick-up station.

                I stood still watching him jog off into the parking garage. I swiveled my upper body standing in place trying to convince my side to stop paining but it wouldn’t listen. I began doing simple dance steps on the sidewalk and was surprised to see someone who was the last person I was expecting to see.

“Hello Devon.”

“Kendrick?” I almost laughed.

“You seem surprised” he cracked a smile.

“Just a little…how’s it going?”

“Fine; is it true you’re getting checked out today?”

"How did you-"

"Good news travels fast." He tried to smile but he was wincing instead. "So are you?"  

“Yea…I’m on my way back now. Why?”

                I cocked an eyebrow suspiciously. Of all people why was he here? Not once had I seen any other V.I.P besides Paije while I was staying at the hospital; and of all days he decides to show up on the day I’m leaving? It doesn’t make sense!

“Even though I barely know you…you seem like the type of person who is determined-”

“Yea..so?”

“So” he laughed. “Would I be right in guessing that you're still going to try and audition for BB’s music video?”

                I let out a giant sigh.

“I’ll take that as a yes” he smile twisted into something even bigger.

“What’s your point? Afraid I’ll make it and your girlfriend won’t?”

“Actually I would prefer that…but that’s not why I’m here. I came to tell you that they moved the audition time. It’s no longer in the afternoon…it’s in about a hour”

“An hour?!” Terror covered my face like a blanket.

                I thought I had more time! I thought I had enough time to will myself to get well enough to do it, not suffer in silence until I got it. But that’s what I was determined to do…I had to be in that music video.

“You came all that way just to tell me?” I looked at him in disbelief as he nodded. “Why?”

“Devon” he stepped closer. “I can’t stop-”

                Hyun Joong’s car screeched to a stop in front of Kendrick and I. He hopped out and nodded to Kendrick before opening the passenger side door for me.

“I guess I’ll see you later” I sort of yelled back to Kendrick who looked disapointed.

He looked more than disapointed, like Hyun Joong had beaten him at something. I had no time to ask because Hyun Joong was giving me no opportunity to dismiss myself politely; I was in his car buckling up before I knew it. I looked at the clock on the dashboard. One hour from now would be noon. I had to be in the YG Building before noon, or else I was absolutely positive that I would combust. I began drumming on the passenger door handle.

“Did that guy say something?”

“Huh?”

“You’ve been fidgeting ever since you sat in the car” he noticed.

I tried to make my hand stop but I couldn’t. “No nothing, it’s just-”

“Just what?”

“Do you think we could take a rain-check?”

“Rain-check? It’s supposed to be sunny today, I just checked the weather.”

Was he adorable or what?

“No” I smiled. “Can we see a movie later…I remembered I have to do something”

“Oh, well I can help-”

“Something at the hotel” I hedged.

“Did you forget something?”

"No it's just that I remembered that i'm meeting someone for lunch at noon."

"Oh." He said semi-indifferently "If your meeting with Paije, I should call Seung Gi. He might be hungry.”

“I’m not hungry anymore” I said running out of excuses to spend time with him.

“Liar” he laughed right after my stomach had betrayed me by groaning in protest.

“Can you please drop me off at the hotel?”

“Are you tired?”

                His excuse sparked off a brilliant idea. I nodded slowly trying to look fatigue.

“It must be from all of the excitement today” Hyun Joong said caringly.

                I formed a small pout on my lips to emphasize my agreement. Inside I was screaming! I was going to make the audition and nothing was going to stop me! Everything was going to work out just the way I wanted to...I was going to make it.

He turned to me to smile crookedly at a stoplight.

 “Which is why you can’t audition for BIGBANG’s video.”