Hostage

Once In A Lifetime

“Devon” I shouted and she turned around smiling before she recognized it was me.

                I laughed jogging over to meet her. She looked beautiful wearing a bright colored tee shirt and a pair of jeans; her dark hair long and wavy. As I got closer a pout was forming on her face and she folded her arms while she attempted to glare. She began patting her foot exaggerating how long she’d been there.

“Have you been waiting long?” I said somewhat apologetic.

“Almost an hour” she scowled. “What took you so long?”

“Sorry” I apologized ruffling my hair. My schedule went late today.”

                She twisted contemplating my excuse. I chuckled low knowing that she would forgive me.

“Okay” she shrugged giving me an unintentional smile.

                I grabbed her hand and felt her flex before walking closer into my side, tugging me gently closer to her. We walked to a nearby park and sat at one of the randomly placed benches.

“When do you have to go back?” She asked me.

“Not for a while. Why?” I answered lazily.

“You need to go do something productive” she laughed looking into my face. “When’s the last time you wrote a song?”

“What I need is more time with you” I corrected sitting closer to her.

“You’re not getting sick of me yet?” She asked smiling.

“Of course I am, I’m just doing a favor for my biggest fan” I joked watching her face change.

“Really?!” She said nudging me in the ribs. “Really?! You're doing me the favor?! You?! Choi Seung Hyun!” she continued poking and hitting me.

                I ducked and dodged her swats getting up from the bench to run in the openness of the park. The biggest smile was spreading across my face as I looked back to see her chasing after me.  I saw a pavilion and made a beeline for it feeling her close at my heels. I ducked behind a wall waiting for her to come around, and when she did I lunged for her tackling her from behind. My arms wrapped around her torso pulling her close to me as I kissed her neck. She was laughing the entire way down to the ground, I was grinning to as I rolled on top of her making it impossible for her to move. I stared into her eyes that shone bright with pure happiness; the same happiness that reflected in mine. She propped herself up a little and craned herself making trails with across my neck and chin until she found my lips. I ducked my head down surrendering to the feel of her; I could feel myself groan against her skin and she let out a small laugh…

“Hyung!” Daesung called happily. “Wake up”

I groaned as Daesung popped open the door to my room of the hotel. “How are you this cheery this early?”

“I don’t know” he shrugged smiling. “It’s probably adrenaline from the lack of sleep”

I chuckled rubbing my eyes before stretching.

“Seung Hyun?” He began and I waited. “Are you sure about this?”

I knew exactly what he was talking about and I waited a while before I answered. “Positive.”

~~~~

“You missed a spot” Greg teased me while I shot him a playful glare.

                It was early September and we were both working at the hotel in our small town. Right now we were cleaning and treating the outdoor pool before the guests could come in and use it for the final weekend. Greg was skimming the top of the water while I vacuumed the bottom.

“Don’t even start with that” I threatened. “After this is all set I get to go home!”

“Now doesn’t that feel good to say? Even though you loved it over in Seoul, you missed us here” he smiled.

                I tried to smile back but it wasn’t as genuine as I tried to make it. It had been five months since Paije and I went to that glorious event and every song or reference brought on constant reminders. Every brief smile that came to me quickly left as my eyes began tearing up remembering a bittersweet moment. Even though I was a VIP at heart, I couldn’t bring myself to listen to any of their music or watch any of their videos. T.O.P’s scenes and lyrics were too much to take right then; it was going to take time. I did the same for Hyun Joong, which was easier since SS501 hadn’t made a comeback yet; but I didn’t watch his dramas or listen to his music either. I had completely divulged myself into other groups like Super Junior and MBLAQ. I was debating whether or not to give up KPop all together when my cell phone started ringing. It was Paije.

“HAVE YOU SEEN THIS?!” She screamed into the phone.

“Seen what?” I asked and she hung up the phone sending me a link instead. I clicked it.

                                                BIGBANG’s T.O.P to Enter the Military Before This Christmas

                My mouth went dry and my eyes began feeling like they were about to pour out the Niagara Falls. I felt them and they weren’t wet. I could feel my heart beating off rhythm…uneven and unsteady; like it was going to give out at any second. This was bad…really bad. I closed the link and began dialing the phone and got an answering machine.

“OPPA!” I yelled. “WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?! YOU CAN’T GO NOW! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST TIME TO GO ON LEAVE! WHAT ABOUT YOUR FANS? WHAT ABOUT YOURSELF? YOU JUST CAN’T GO! YOU WERE GOING TO BE IN A MOVIE THIS UPCOMING YEAR…WHAT HAPPENS TO THAT? YOU'RE JUST NOT GOING TO DO IT?! OPPA! BE REASONABLE! WAIT! JUST WAIT! I KNOW YOU LIKED THE HONOR AND GLORY OF THE BATTLEFIELD, BUT THIS ISN’T A MOVIE SET! THIS IS REAL LIFE!”

                I was yelling at his answering machine not caring at all about the outrageous overseas calling charges. He wasn’t thinking! What would make him go enlist? It’s not like he was running out of time to go…he was only 26 Korean time. There was no rush…I don’t get it.

“Oppa” I said slowly. “I’m sorry for calling, but just the thought of you-I’m sorry. Keep safe.”

                I hung up the phone expecting to see the world falling apart; at least that’s how I felt. There was this growing rock stuck in my throat that I couldn’t swallow. He was going into the military for two long never ending years.

“So this TOP guy is leaving?” Greg asked and I nodded quietly.

“C’mon let’s hurry and finish up” I said dipping the vacuum back into the pool.

                Vacuuming became monotonous; back and forth across the length of the pool. My mind was drifting as I continued to clean the area. Greg kept trying to start conversations about different things but I wasn’t listening. I felt like someone had kicked me hard in the chest and I was scrambling on the floor trying to find a way to breathe.

“Sorry sir, the pool isn’t open yet” I heard Greg tell someone at the gate.

“Sorry I was looking for someone” I heard a voice say.

                I didn’t bother looking over to who Greg was talking too, but instead gathered a few more random things placing them into the pump room.

“The poor guy was lost” Greg said bringing more stuff into the space. “Hey you almost finished?”

                I nodded disassembling the vacuum and Greg helped me. I gave him a weak smile and began arranging chairs before emptying the garbage in the dumpster. Greg were standing around waiting to close the gate when I came back.

 “So, what are you gonna do later” Greg asked.

                I pictured myself home writing my first letter; the first of many more to come.

“What’s got you so giddy?” Greg teased noticing the warm smile on my face.

I shrugged. “Just a promise”

                We were locking the gate and stepping into the parking lot. I walked over to my car barely noticing Greg walking next to me to get to his.

“Text me if your not busy” He shouted between cars. “Maybe we’ll go see a movie or something.”

I nodded half listening before starting up my car to leave. My house was only a few minutes away from the hotel so I didn’t even bother turning on the radio. I parked in front of the house and began grabbing my stuff from the car. I trudged inside and set my things down before going to the kitchen to get a large glass of water. It took me a few minutes to realize that no one was home and I grabbed my cell phone dialing Paije. She didn’t answer and I figured it was because she wasn’t home yet; so I left her a message.

“It’s me, I was just thinking about how we haven’t had a movie night in forever; we could do facials and-hang on a sec, you’re calling me” I chuckled hanging up the phone.

“Devon! What are you doing tonight?!” She said in a rush trying not to squeal.

“Nothing” I said hesitant. “I was going to ask if you wanted to sleepover but-”

“Forget that and go get changed!” She ordered.

“Where are we going?”

“I’m…not…sure” she squealed.

“How many times do I have to tell you not to watch music videos and hold a conversation at the same time? You're barely coherent.”

“JUST GET DRESSED!”

                She hung up the phone and I began the mini trek up the stairs to my room. I took a quick shower changing into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I swung my hair into a messy bun, not even bothering to put on a lot of makeup. I picked up my phone and began dialing Paije again as I grabbed my cell phone and keys. Someone was knocking profusely at my front door and I rushed to open it. Paije stood anxious wearing a strapless red gown; with these killer red stilettos. Her hair was pin-straight falling elegantly around her shoulders, and her makeup was bold but mysterious.

“Wow Paije! You look-”

“I thought I told you to get dressed!” She snapped at me looking at my appearance. “You look horrible, not at all appropriate.”

“Tell me how you really feel Paije” I groaned. “And appropriate for what? Aren’t we just going to dinner? If anyone needs to change it’s you; you're dressed to kill? Where are you going the opera?”

                She stepped into the house and pulled out a garment bag and a pair of shoes from what seemed like thin air.

“Take these and go change” she ordered. “Did you just get in from work?”

“What is all of this? And where did you get it?” I asked her as she sat in the nearest chair. “And I thought I looked okay-”

“Yes! Yes, you're gorgeous! Now will you please put this on instead?” She cut me off trying to rush me upstairs.

“First tell me what’s going on?” I said before she began ing things into my hand.

“No time! At this rate we’ll be late!” She argued rushing me up the stairs.

                I rolled my eyes but didn’t argue as we both trudged up the stairs to my bedroom. I opened the garment bag and a deep navy gown poured out. My jaw dropped as I watched the dress flow out. It reminded me of the dress in the cartoon movie Anastasia when she was preparing to meet the queen. It had some differences, like the straps were draped around the shoulders accenting the silhouette.

“Paije!” I said my mouth hanging inches from the floor. “You tell me right now where we are going?”

“I don’t know!” She squealed happily. “But at this moment I don’t give a flying fu-”

“I get it!” I said with wonder my eyes greedily taking in the dress.

                I took my hair from the bun and added more curls to my hair so I ended up with a wavy style, pulling it to one side. I stepped into the gown and instead of flowing like I expected, it clung to my body closely. Not uncomfortably, but it was accentuating every curve my body had to offer; it fit like a second skin, flexible and natural. I looked at myself in the mirror and it took my breath away; I couldn’t believe that I was staring at my own reflection. It looked too pretty to be me; whoever picked this dress out for me knew me well. It was simple and perfect but not overdone.

“If you're ready let’s go!” Paije whined preparing to rush down the steps.

                I met her downstairs and was preparing to write a letter to my parents when Paije stopped me.

“They already know” she said tugging on my arm messing up my handwriting.

“Wait, my parents know where I’m going? I don’t even know and they do? This makes no sense! I’m gonna call them just to make sure-”

“Call them from the car!” Paije screeched opening the front door grinning at the sight.

                I sighed but followed her out to see that there were two black cars with tinted windows parked outside of my house. I kept my shoes in my hand and walked barefoot to the car where a tall black man opened the door for both Paije and I; Paije climbed in first.

“This is safe isn’t it?” I asked the driver who gestured his hand towards the car. “Do you know who’s responsible for all of this?”

                The driver pointed to the car behind us, and the driver of the other car blew his horn twice. I shrugged my shoulders and got in as Paije checked out all of the compartments in the car. Once the door had shut, the car pulled easily away from the curb. A few minutes later I had noticed that we were preparing to take the underground bridge that led to New York City.

“Paije don’t you find this a little sketchy?!” I said as the driver paid the toll allowing our car to glide through the tunnel. “We’re heading into the city!”

“What’s sketchy? This is so romantic!” Paije jumped up excited.

“What do you mean this isn’t sketchy?! Did you ever think that we’re going to meet whoever sent us this stuff?!”

“They’re right behind you miss” the driver said in a deep voice.

“Who is?” I asked interested.

“The two young gentlemen that you are meeting” the driver answered easily.

“And their names?” I challenged.

“I’m sorry miss, I was specifically instructed not to disclose that information.”

“So you could be delivering us to two psycho killers, but because your company instructed you to-”

“Devon shut up! You're starting to ruin it!”

                I rolled my eyes and sat back in the seat with my arms folded. New York traffic was awful but twenty minutes later our driver was stopping in front of the Metropolitan Opera House. The car behind us did the same and I tried to see who we were meeting but the driver kept our doors locked with the window lock on too. He handed Paije and I two tickets for The Magic Flute. He opened the door and we were entering the theatre with a small crowd around us. We handed the usher our tickets and were asked to step aside.

“Well it looks like these tickets are fake, so I say we go home!” I said trying to inch Paije away from the lobby but her feet were planted firmly into the carpet.

“Excuse me ladies” One of two ushers said to us. “It seems that you two are seated in different boxes.”

My eyes grew wide. “We’re not sitting together?” I asked trying to get clarification.

“If you will just follow me miss?” The other usher said to Paije.

“Paije I don’t like this…not one bit!” I hissed to her. “Why can’t we sit together?”

“Devon, you will thank me by the end of this night. Trust me. I’ll either see you during intermission, or after the show.” She kissed my cheek before linking her arm around the usher addressing her. “You’ll be fine, I promise.”

                And just like that she was walking away from me heading to her own box. I felt deserted. What was going on? Who were we meeting? And why was no one telling me anything?! The lights dimmed signaling the minute warning for the start of the show. I flinched slightly beginning to gnaw off the inside of my cheek.

“Miss?” The usher said politely extending his arm for mine. “Just breathe and relax” he said comfortingly.

I breathed out heavily and took it and he smiled.

“Are you meeting someone?” he asked as he pressed summoning the elevator.

“It looks like that way” I said flustered.

 “Well whoever you're meeting is sure lucky…you look breathtaking” he added tucking me closer to him.

                I felt a little more at ease as we rode silently up to the floor where my box was located. We stepped out of the elevator and gave me a program before he led me to a long hallway and pointed to the red curtains at the end. I took a gigantic breath and began walking to the end. I could hear the orchestra tuning and a quiet murmur of voices as I pulled back the curtain; I couldn’t believe my eyes. When I dropped my program he turned around and smiled. He stood up and walked to me as I was clearly frozen in place tucking his index finger under my chin to close my mouth.

“You don’t have to say anything” he told me gently. “We have plenty of time to talk later” he added guiding me the only other seat in the box, the one right next to him.

“But I-”

                I began but was immediately cut off by the opening overture. I couldn’t concentrate; it didn’t make sense. My heart was fluttering wild and off beat but the rest of me felt frozen and paralyzed. It was like I couldn’t focus. I wasn’t just staring at him; I was gaping. I couldn’t believe I was sitting next to him. In the few months we had been apart I was expecting some sort of change; either in appearances or in our unspoken relationship. But there was none; it all came flooding back just like before. That glorious sense of security was ever-present in this tiny opera theatre box as it was lying on his carpeted floor back in his house in Seoul. Every now and then he would turn to look at me, giving me weak smiles as I tried to comprehend that this was actually happening and not a dream. I was pinching myself and snagging the fabric of my dress with my hands trying to prove to my senses that this was real; that I was sitting next to him hearing his deep intakes of air. I wasn’t paying any attention to the show I was too busy getting caught up in his appearance. The blonde hair was gone and was instead a light chestnut brown; his face was a little more angular but relatively the same. He was wearing a simple dark tuxedo with a black bowtie; and when he grabbed may hand I unintentionally flinched at the contact.

“Are you enjoying yourself?” He whispered leaning into me.

 “What are you doing here?” It took everything I had not to scream that sentence.

“You're not happy to see me?” He almost pouted.

“What are you doing here?” I asked again.

“Seung Gi wanted to visit Paije” he answered innocently.  

                That’s why Paije was freaking out so. Seung Gi was here too? That was nice but 1/8 of me wished I could’ve opted out on this double date. Hyun Joong and I still had stuff that needed to be worked out, and I didn’t quite leave in the best way possible.

“Hyun J-J-Joong?” I stuttered.

“Yes?” He said waiting for me to say something.  “What?” His forehead furrowed after a long silence.

“I-I-I’m not sure what to say” I answered honestly breathing out a gust of air. “Why did you want to see me?”

He sighed before the lights softly brightened. “Devon you know the answer” he said calmly.

“No..No I don’t!” I said sort of angry. “It’s been five months since I’ve heard anything from you.”

“Telephone’s work both ways you know” he added.

“Not when the other person is upset; not that I blame you, I earned you're hatred good fashion” I pouted looking over the box’s edge trying to see Paije and Seung Gi.

He tugged on my arm bringing me close to him. “You think I hate you?”

“It makes more sense than this!” I argued. “I use you to help me countless times and I bring you nothing but trouble in return. You're one of the most amazing guys I’ve ever met, and I tell you I can’t decide between you and another man. And yet you still fly all the way here just to-”

“I love you” he admitted effortlessly. “I love you…Devon Ashford…you! And if you could get rid of your stupidity you’d see that you love me too.”

He chuckled as I continued to look at him in shock.

“I tried to meet you at the airport, but all flights were booked. I confessed my love to you over a loudspeaker; I waited for hours in the airport lobby for you to come to me” he confessed.

“You…did?” I said in disbelief.

“Yeah, I did. I was still waiting; and when I decided I couldn’t wait any longer I came to find you. Why didn’t you try and contact me?”

                The lights dimmed again and the music started. He ducked his head to my ear.

“I was trying to forget you” I whispered. “It was too hard to think about what happened between us. I didn’t want to remember how this felt”

                He pulled back to look at me and nothing but pure concern for me was written on his face. He pulled me into a meaningful hug. The width of his shoulders keeping me cradled into his chest; he kissed my hair tenderly as he held me closer.

“This feeling is the only thing that gives me hope for us” he whispered. “Even if we’re apart, promise to never forget me.”

                I nodded into his shoulder before pulling back to wipe my eyes; he grabbed my face and kissed away the tears before I could get to them. He worked his way down to my lips and kissed me greedily. This kiss wasn’t as sweet as the others, it was more aggressive. It wasn’t like he missed me, but more like he craved for me.

“I’m sorry” he said eventually breaking apart.

“Really?” I answered completely lightheaded. “Cause I’m not” I grinned back at him.

~~~~

okay i lied, this is not the last chapter...one more mini one and then im done i promise lol