"It's Too Late to Apologize", but this is a really good start :)

Once In A Lifetime

“BIGBANG WOULD LIKE TO FORMALLY APOLOGIZE TO OUR INTERNATIONAL FANS; THE SUPPORT WE GET FROM YOU IS AMAZING.IN CELEBRATION OF OUR INTERNATIONAL V.I.P FAN CLUB, YG ENTERTAINMENT IS HOLDING A CONTEST FOR V.I.P’S ACROSS THE GLOBE.WE WILL PICK TWO PEOPLE FROM EACH COUNTRY, ALONG WITH ONE GUEST TO ENJOY THE PERKS IN BEING A V.I.P. NOT ONLY WILL THEY MEET US AND TOUR THE YG BUILDING, ALONG WITH A CONCERT TO WRAP UP THE EVENT; THE WINNERS WILL AUDITION FOR FIVE DANCE SLOTS IN OUR UPCOMING NEW MUSIC VIDEO. THE WINNERS WILL BE CONTACTED PRIVATELY ON MAY 12TH: FOR MORE INFORMATION CHECK OUT THE YGFAMILY WEBSITE AND CLICK ON THE INTERNATIONAL FAN PAGE.PCE!”

 

                My heart fluttered wildly as I held tightly to the computer screen 2:30am EST. This had to be the most heavenly dream I had ever had; if it was a dream I was prepared to hurt whoever dared wake me up from the most perfect dream in the history of sleep. But no; there they were. All five of them, more than halfway around the world waving to me through my tiny computer screen. G-Dragon the leader of one of the greatest K-Pop bands in the world was offering V.I.P’s everywhere the chance I’d daydream about while sitting in one of my college courses. This was less than a once in a lifetime opportunity. I would have better luck getting struck by lightning, surviving to win the lotto and then becoming famous. This contest was more than a dream, it was unreal. I called my best friend to make sure she heard what we had just witnessed. My cell phone buzzed just as soon as I looked at it. All that could be heard was her incoherent screams; this was all the confirmation I would need to believe that this wasn’t a joke.

“DID YOU HEAR??????!!!!”

                ….Silence,

“Can you BELIEVE IT!!!!!” she squealed even harder causing feedback on the phone.

                …..Still silent. No matter how many times I tried to answer, I couldn’t find the proper words to express my joy.

“Devon? Devon? Say something!”

                All of a sudden a high pitched scream released from my lips. It was long and drawn out; everything I was feeling I put into that scream. All of my wishes upon stars for trivial things like puppies and ponies canceled out in order to make room for this one dream that was more than impossible. It was ridiculous. And when I realized this, I stopped. Reality replayed itself when I realized my chances of actually winning (or knowing someone who won) a contest as wonderful as this one. They we’re only two winners per country. I felt as if I had a better chance winning the Powerball Lottery. But as a true V.I.P I it up. Two people from the U.S we’re going to Seoul South Korea to make their dream come true. I felt satisfied with the fact that I was really gaining something after all; and International V.I.P with the same fan-rights as Korean and Japanese V.I.P’s. I looked forward to my birthday which was a few weeks away; and I would gladly accept (not settle for) a birthday card from anyone of the members, let alone my bias.

“Yea…I’m here Paije” I answered monotone.

“Why aren’t you more excited?!” She was whined into the phone. I didn’t have the heart to bring her down with my pessimism. Just because my hot air balloon of joy had a leak didn’t mean she had to crash into my depression with me.

“I’m still in shock.” It was easy to focus on the positive side of things, even though I was slowly coming down off the giddiness of my excitement. “It’s awesome that they’re doing and International Fan Club. Finally something we can join” I laughed weakly.

“They’re going to pick two people from the U.S!!!! That automatically means we’re going!”

“How do you figure Paije?” I laughed stronger. She was insane, delusional even if she thought we had the slightest chance of winning. I wasn’t going to bring her down so soon but she practically popped her bubble when she thought we were going. We were two of the averagely unlucky people in the world. We didn’t have bad luck; its just luck was never with us.

“Well if you win, you’re taking me. And if I win I’m taking you. Duh!” She sounded like she was giving me a look as if she stated that 2+2=4.

                I had no idea that her bubble of hope was made out of steel.

“They make the drawing tomorrow. Did you sign up on the website? Papa YG being so secretive, the winners are only contacted thru a phone call. That is so like them to be a tease.”

“No not yet, I kind of wanna go to sleep and then do it later.”

“Okay…we’ll gush more tomorrow.” Before she hung up I heard one final “WE’RE GOING TO SEOUL” and I had to smile before she clicked the phone off.   

                I folded down my laptop screen and pushed it to the side of my bed before cuddling with my pillow. The thought of International V.I.P’s banning together to support the group of men who made us squeal with delight with a single glance or smile made me squirm in my bed from fan-girling. Somehow I fell asleep and a few hours later with the sun gently slapping me in the face with it’s warm light, I was still happy when I woke up at the thought that they we’re choosing the winners today. Someone from my country was going to get there dream come true. I just prayed that they we’re just as much die-hard fans as Paije and myself. I did not want someone who felt less than the way I did to win such a once in a millennium opportunity. Being a K-Pop fan, of course you have other groups that you respect and support; but nothing comes close as the love you have for your ultimate group. Just like a die-hard Beauty wouldn’t want a die-hard Blackjack to win this prize if it was for BEAST. It was easier to get over the disappointment of losing if the person who won could appreciate it more than you; not someone who was gonna fake it.

                I spent the rest of the day as usual, getting ready to go to class. Dancing to music with my oversized headphones making funny faces at every reflective surface I passed. I got onto the campus shuttle to take me up the hill to my classes where I would sit for hours at a time taking notes and listening to lectures with an hour break in between each class. For some reason the day seemed to speed up, and I would bet it was partially because subconsciously I wanted to win. Badly. I sat in the student center with my empty water bottle bouncing lightly on the table in a rhythm that went with nothing as I loaded the page for YGFAMILY. I scrolled down to the International Fan page and clicked on the contest entry. I filled out the blank spaces while my friend Greg, a tall looking boy with sandy blonde hair; sat comfortably across from me at the same table.  

“Hey” I smiled continuing to type in a rushed fashion.

“Hey; what’s with the novel?” He asked gently flicking my computer screen.  

“Just entering a contest. How was your last class?” I said quickly changing the subject.

“Not bad, just reviewing for the final.” He sighed. “You done for the day?”

“No one more and then I’m going home. I can hardly wait for this semester to be over” I groaned.  

“So I was thinking…” He hedged slowly raising his eyebrows.

“Greg, we’re just friends” I reminded him easily seeing where this was heading.

“Yea I know…that’s not working out for me” he retorted without thinking.

“Bye” I smiled as I grabbed my stuff and left to go to class.

"I'll call ya later" He yelled after me.

               The entire day, no matter how hard I tried not to think about the contest drawing, the more I kept thinking about it. Like I said the day flew by even faster and I eventually found myself driving to Paije’s house to do our regular ritual of fan-girling. My parents knew I was staying over, so this turned into a sleep-over or more like a sleep-once-we-find-out-who-won-this-contest-over.  It became 2:00am EST in no time, and neither of us we’re the least bit tired. We flicked on our computer screens to watch them electronically pick out the winners. Each member had a group of computers labeled with different countries: they all pressed the buttons simultaneously and the drawing began. Then the screens cut to a black screen with the letters YGE bouncing from corner to corner.

“Wow! Papa YG is being legit about no one knowing whose going to win except for the winners he calls.”

Suddenly Paije’s phone rang.