(21) 5th Night

It takes TWO TO TANGO

 

Hi! Sorry for not updating soon. It is not that I am forgeting about the story. Believe me. I had it on draft for more than a week and I just couldn't continue it until last night. However.. Thanks for waiting.

 



 

Hyunjoong took glances toward Haeri who sat silently next to him inside the car. He examined her closely. Her shoes, her dress, her hairs, her makeup even her perfume. Unconsciously, he let out a low sigh and fought for his need that increased dramatically.
 

 

This was embarrassing!

 

Hyunjoong gazed toward his lower area and found it ballooning.

 

!

 

His friends would realize. That Kim Tan and Choi Seunghyun would mock him to death. Damn it!

 

What to do? What to do?

 

Hyun Joong cleared his throat to gained Haeri's attention. But, she remind silent and gave no reactions. "Nice dress by the way."

 

"Hmm.. Thanks." She answered flatly.

 

"One of your collections?"

 

"Yes."

 

"I haven't seen it before."

 

"I just added some more details."

 

Hyun Joong glimpsed at her who just stared blankly to the road. His eyes narrowed. What the hell is wrong with her? Something isn't right here. But, he couldn't figure it out.

 

To be honest, he preferred the annoying Jung Haeri than this silence one.

 

"Toothache?"

 

"Huh?"

 

"Or stomachache?"

 

"Mwo?"

 

"Headache then?"

 

Finally Haeri turned her face to look at him. "What were you saying?"

 

"You are not you since this morning. I can tell." Hyun Joong finally stated his mind. "And, it's kinda disturbing." He sighed deeply. "It was like I talked to a wall. You weren't responding like a human should. So, I assumed that maybe you weren't feeling well? Are you sick?"

 

Haeri tried hard for not snapping to him. Hell yeah she wasn't feeling well because of that nasty scene from him. But again, she was also realizing that she had no right to complain. Hyun Joong already said to her that he had this need and she refused to fulfill it. She even agreed that he was allowed to find other women to satisfy his need.

 

"I am fine. Nothing is wrong."

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"Yes."

 

Hyun Joong kept on glimpsing toward expressionless Haeri. Aish this woman. Sometime she could be too difficult to handle. He let out a long and deep breath.

 

Neon Sugar Free ije neon Sugar Free
Naegeman Sugar Free momodeunge Sugar Free
Neoneun galssurok wae ireoke gaseumeul apeugehaeyo
Ireoke apeugeman hae dalkomhameul ireobeorin
Neon Sugar Free ije neon Sugar Free Naegeman Sugar Free momodeunge Sugar Free
Neoneun hansungane nareul al ssu eopkke mandeureo neomani
Mandeureo beoryeosseo mueonga ppajeobeorin Sugar Free

 

Haeri hurriedly took out her phone from her bag and looked who was calling. Eh? No way!! Why should he call her? Haeri stayed still for two seconds before she finally decided to press ‘yes’ button and accepted the call. "Yeoboseyo?"

 

"Haeri?"

 

"Jihwan Oppa?" She murmured with pain. At the moment she came to a realization that she was facing her karma for hurting him and his family. Yes. Her awful karma for being selfish.

 

Haeri stated it low enough but still Hyunjoong turned his face because he heard it clearly. ! He should have known. She was acting this way maybe because of that bastard. Her oh-so-wonderful ex boyfriend.

 

"You are going to the gala to accompany your husband?"

 

Haeri felt a huge stone was stuck in , making her hard to breath.

 

"Haeri.. I am coming to the gala too. Let's meet. I miss you."

 

"Op-" She fought to urgency to cry.

 

"Please?" She surely could imagine Jihwan's face when he pleaded. God, she missed him.

 

"Yes." Slowly, she lowered her phone to her lap and again stared blankly toward the road. Meeting him? Meeting Jihwan Oppa? In sudden, Haeri felt like there wasn't enough air for her to breathe.

 

Suffocating!

 

Seeing stunned Haeri,  Hyunjoong felt pissed off. He hated the scene. Seriously, totally pissed off. Damn it!

 

 


 

 

"Hello, gorgeous lady!" Kim Tan reached for Haeri's hand and kissed the back of her hand softly, making her gasped in surprise then blushed deeply.

 

Such a gentleman.. Oops! Let her correct it. Such a playboy! She forced out a polite smile.

 

"That's enough, Tan." Hyunjoong broke the connection in fast movement, taking Haeri's hand away from his best friend. It wasn't that he didn't trust him. But, out of nowhere, Hyunjoong disliked the idea of other man touched her. Just don’t ask him why.

 

"Being possessive this fast, huh, Hyunjoong?" Kim Tan smirked meaningfully.

 

Hyunjoong snorted. "Where is Seunghyun?"

 

"Shall be here in seconds." Kim Tan gazed toward the entry. "He is always late anyway.”

 

“Right.”

 

Haeri scanned the whole room: Lots as in LOTS of gorgeous people inside. They all dressed finely and.. Ah, those gowns and suits.. Haeri couldn’t help to get some inspirations. Slight smile was plastered on her face and Hyunjoong caught the sight. Unconsciously, he smiled too, softly.

 

"He is here."

 

Hyunjoong moved his sight to a man with black suit, black shirt, no tie and huge sunglasses. Who would wear sunglasses at night and inside a room? Well he did.

 

"That bastard!" Kim Tan smirked.

 

Seunghyun took off his sunglasses as he approached his friends then flashed his signature grin. "See? I am not late."

 

Hyunjoong and Tan chuckled at the same time.

 

In snap, Seunghyun's eyes caught confused Haeri. Oh! "I believe this is Mrs Kim?"

 

Haeri smiled and nodded shortly. Hyunjoong couldn't help to feel relief as she did that. Hmm.. as the matter if fact, he felt a bit proud.

 

Proud?

 

"Let me introduce myself properly. I am Choi Seunghyun. One of Hyunjoong's bastard friends beside Tan."

 

"Yah!" Tan responded fast.

 

 Hyunjoong scoffed and rolled his eyes. Seunghyun grinned while Haeri came to full alert. Another playboy then.

 

"Forgive me for not meeting and welcoming you earlier. However," Seunghyun grabbed Haeri's arm and enveloped her wholly in a blink of eyes, making Hyunjoong lost his breath for a full second.

 

"Damn it, Seunghyun!" He broke them up forcefully and held Haeri waist as if he was marking his territory. "You.are.not.touching.her.again." He hissed in anger.

 

Seunghyun cocked his head before he smirked and looked at Kim Tan.

 

"Told you before." Tan stated. “Don't blame me if I find your dead body tomorrow."

 

Huh?

 

Hyunjoong and Haeri stared at those two men in confusion. What were they talking about?

 

"I've lost it." Hyunjoong muttered.

 

Seunghyun and Tan turned their faces at the same time and gazed toward Hyunjoong's eyes deeply. "Nothing." They spoke in unison.

 

"What?" Hyunjoong felt annoyed.

 

"What?" Kim Tan asked him back before he started to walk. "Let's grab a glass of wine."

 

"Tan, you are not going anywhere before telling me!" Demand Hyunjoong.

 

Kim Tan and Seunghyun laughed wholeheartedly, leaving Hyunjoong and Haeri in total confusion. What were they talking about?

 

 


 

 

Korean economy outlook was being presented up front. While Hyunjoong, Seunghyun and Kim Tan seriously paid attention to what was spoken, Haeri studied nowadays fashion style amongst the guests. She mentally took notes and pictured some new design inside her head. This gala was fun! This was better than watching Fashion Channel.

 

“Hyunjoong,”

 

“Hm..”

 

“Who is she?”

 

“Which-“

 

“The one with blue ribbon.”

 

“Oh. Park Sandara. Executive Producer for F.”

 

“F? No way!”

 

“Yes way. Seunghyun’s next target.”

 

“Shut the off, Hyunjoong.”

 

“What? I am just telling Haeri the truth.”

 

“For your information, Haeri.. I am a man with one woman. When I am with a woman, I devote myself wholly for her. So please- Don’t give me that look.”

 

”What look?”

 

“That I the worst bastard ever.”

 

“I shared the title for the three of you, you know.” She said innocently, earning low laughter from the three of them.

 

“She has good sense of humor.” Seunghyun said in awe.

 

“She is.” Hyunjoong mumbled.

 

Haeri turned her face just to find Hyunjoong stared deeply into her eyes. Eh? What- Why- Haeri held her breath unconsciously. His stare.. It sent warmth all over her. Then, she felt troubled again. This fake marriage.. Where would it lead them?

 

“Oh, no.”

 

“Hyunjoong.” A pair of hands encircled Hyunjoong’s neck from behind.

 

This smell, this voice, even without turning his head and looking, Hyunjoong already knew the person who stood behind him and placed the chin on his shoulder. “Heyi,” He mumbled.

 

“I am flattered that you remember me, honey.” Heyi giggled with please. “Or.. Because.. That last night-“

 

“What are you doing here?” Hyunjoong shoved her hands away slowly.

 

“Seeing you of course.” She came to her full height. “Let’s continue what we left behind.”

 

Haeri mentally played the whole scene from last night over and over again. They were talking about it that was for sure. A sharp pain was obvious inside her heart.

 

Hyunjoong noticed the changed of Haeri’s face. Wait! Haeri was brave enough to face Heyi before. But why.. Why now she looked hurt?

 

“My apartment, I believe.” Heyi glanced toward Haeri who stunned at her very position.

 

In sudden, Haeri stood up and started to walk away, making Heyi smiled wider in victory. Kim Tan and Seunghyun exchanged meaningful glances. Typical Kim Hyunjoong! Never satisfied with only one woman. This is not the first time they saw such scene. 

 

Hyunjoong stood up. “Haeri!” He called but no avail. Instead, Haeri fastened her walk.

 

When he was about to catch her up, Heyi grabbed his arm. “Not so fast, Hyunjoong.”

 

With annoyed, he gazed down to Heyi. “Not that fast, Heyi. I made my mistake last night for looking for you. But, I also realized that we did nothing. Now, I have to find her.”

 

Heyi frowned. “Why?”

 

“Because she is my wife. That’s why.” With that, he released himself and walked to the direction she vanished.

 

Heyi stomped her right foot in anger. Hearing the chuckle from Tan and Seunghyun, she turned her face. “WHAT?”

 

“Nothing.” Tan and Seunghyun answered in unison.

 

Heyi scoffed then walked away.

 

“Aw. Our friend is changing.” Seunghyun sipped his white wine.

 

“And, he is still not aware.” Tan added. “He can be dumb some times.”

 

Seunghyun smirked. “I like her by the way. I like her for him.”

 

“Yeah.. Me too. You should see Hyunjoong’s family. They love her!”

 

“Really? Well that’s new.”

 

 


 

 

Haeri walked and walked and walked without minding where she was heading to, without caring the curious stares of those people around her, without conscious that a person was following her.

 

She tried to be strong. She seriously did. But, her heart betrayed her. Tears continuously wetted her face: one after another. She couldn’t recognize her feeling inside. But, she did know that she felt broken. She was hurt. She shouldn’t. She knew that. But still…

 

Why? Why did she feel this way? Why? This whole thing was one big lie. They also had agreement. Then, why?

 

“Haeri!”

 

She stopped her walk and stilled. Huh?

 

Haeri wiped up her tears and turned her body.”Oppa?”

 

Jihwan walked closer. Worried was obvious on his face. “What is wrong?”

 

“Eh- Uhm- Nothing.” She forced out a weak smile. Then, she looked around, noticing that they were at an empty hall.

 

Knowing that Haeri would say nothing, Jihwan sighed deeply. “How are you?”

 

“I am ok.”

 

He shook his head. “You are not ok.”

 

Smile vanished from Haeri’s face. Yeah.. She was not ok. The worst, she knew that she wasn’t ok because of that bastard not because of her beloved Oppa.

 

“I am sorry, Haeri. I am sorry for not keeping you with all I have.”

 

Haeri snapped her eyes close tightly and opened it again. “Let’s not discuss about it anymore, Oppa. It happened.”

 

Jihwan ran his fingers amongst his hairs in frustration. “I cannot lose you. I never- Only you.”

 

Haeri saw Hyunjoong walked closer to them. “Things changed. And.. You lost me already.” She mumbled when she noticed Hyunjoong’s annoyed expression. She knew that he hated Jihwan Oppa. And, she couldn’t help to feel happy for it. Despite the sad feeling that she had for seeing him with that woman.

 

“You again.” Hyunjoong said as he approached Haeri, encircling his hand over Haeri’s waist.

 

Jihwan snapped his head up and looked at Hyunjoong with hatred.

 

“Will you stop seeing my wife? She is my wife! She is taken! Can’t you get the message?”

 

“I know her first.”

 

“Do you forget the keyword? She is my wife.” Hyunjoong faced Jihwan. “Please do respect our marriage.” Then he dragged Haeri away from the place.

 

 


 

 

“I couldn’t believe what I heard just now. Your wife? YOUR WIFE? Please do respect our marriage?” Haeri snapped once they were inside the car, driving away from the building, aiming for home. “What bull!”

 

“Well.. That’s the fact as far as I remember.” Hyunjoong replied calmly.

 

Haeri snorted. “As far as I remember this whole marriage is fake! We have agreement. And, money is the base of it.”

 

Hyunjoong’s body stiffed when he heard it. Damn it!

 

Haeri sighed deeply. “When you are allowed to see another.. I also have the same right.” She whispered.

 

“Burago?”

 

“This open marriage that we have-“ Haeri looked at Hyunjoong who slowed the speed of the car and gazed back at her. “I knew that you spent your last night with her, Hyunjoong. It wasn’t that I disagreed. I realized that we had this pact. But- Since you started it, then I-“

 

“Wait- How do you-“.

 

“I saw you with her at the lobby. And I-“ Waiting for you the whole night and you weren’t coming home. Haeri continued it mentally. A single tear dropped down and she wiped it fast. But unfortunately, Hyunjoong saw it all.

 

OH MY GOD! Hyunjoong finally came to a realization. The whole acting strange since morning.. Because of that? Because she thought that he spent a night with Heyi? His lips curled up a little. In the next second, it disappeared. Wait! And, her seeing that ? “You planned to see him at the gala?”

 

“Who?”

 

“That son of a !”

 

“Jihwan Oppa?”

 

“Don’t mention his name. It brings bad luck.”

 

Haeri rolled her eyes.

 

“Well.. Did you?”
 

“He called to inform me that he would be at the gala and wanted to see me. But we met there accidentally. Look, Hyunjoong! The point is-“

 

“I told you to look good in front of public. You are not allowed to see him anymore. Stay away from him.”

 

Haeri parted her lips in shock. “Selfish bastard!” She cursed.

 

“Mwo?”

 

“Don’t be unfair! When you-“

 

“I won’t see her anymore.”

 

“Huh?”

 

Hyunjoong smiled and glanced toward Haeri. “I will not see Heyi anymore. As the matter of fact, I will not see other women when I am still in the marriage.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“I expect you to do the same.”

 

“But-“

 

“And, I did sleep at her apartment last night. I am sorry.”

 

A pang of unrecognized feeling attacked Haeri’s heart.

 

“I slept over her bed-“

 

“Don’t give me detail please.” She threw her sight over the dark road.

 

“But, I didn’t ed her. I just slept there.” Hyunjoong resumed. He knew that Haeri gave him i-don’t-care attitude. But, he wanted to keep up. He had to make it all clear. He wanted the old Haeri back. “I was drunk last night and I out.”

 

 

In snap, Haeri felt… Peace. So, he didn’t. Oh, ok.

 

 

Even though Haeri kept her face hidden, Hyunjoong knew that the atmosphere changed. And, he thanked God for that.

 

 



 

TEASER

"Why you keep on smiling like a lunatic?"

"Nothing."