Assignments

The Court of Rogues

As soon as you got off the elevator and onto the main floor, Ryeowook rushed back to his desk.

“Now that we know that my new earpiece works, I need to work on my other projects…” he mumbled to himself. You smiled. Ryeowook was the Head of Technology at Rogue Court, and he was doing a brilliant job. He could have graduated with your class at the academy, but his intelligence allowed him to skip most of his classes and be promoted straight to Head. He was currently the youngest Head at Court, but he was gifted in technology and was responsible for most of the gadgets that the Rogues used today. You watched Ryeowook as he puffed out his cheeks cutely, checking over something on his keyboard. You were secretly glad that Ryeowook didn’t complete the combat classes with the rest of you. He was an innocent soul, and you would hate to see him turn to violence instead of technology, his love.

Key was Ryeowook’s trainee, an experienced hacker. He was another techie like Ryeowook, but he couldn’t design instruments as well as Ryeowook.

Shindong was another Head, but he didn’t specialize in tech stuff. He was the Head of Communications, collecting and filtering information from media all over the world, and then sending the interesting bits to others in his department. Another job of his was to prevent the media from leaking any information that Rogue Court wanted to keep quiet. Something told you Shindong enjoyed his job immensely, since he didn’t have to do physical training and sat at his desk all day long, staring at screens with his food in hand.

Yesung was your leader. He was affectionately called the Head of Heads. He didn’t have just one department to supervise; he looked after all the departments. Yesung decided which Rogues would graduate, which position Rogues went into, and what assignments went to which Rogues. He was ranked higher than everyone, and didn’t take any slack from anyone. You would be intimidated by him, but one time you caught him trying to do the rap from Shinhwa’s T.O.P., and after that he couldn’t scare you anymore. There was only one person ranked higher than Yesung, and you didn’t know that person well. He was the descendant of the original founders of the Court of Rogues. He led the Rogue Court through Yesung, and his business was completely private. He was the true Boss, but really, you couldn’t care less.

Sungmin wasn’t a Head. He was like you, an active Rogue, completing assignments and practicing his skills to constantly improve. He hated being called a pretty boy, but that was what he was. Lots of girls liked him, and he liked them back. He was a flirt. Sungmin graduated a year above you, but was placed in your age group because he was one of the ones that got along well with you and the rest of your class. He grinned at you.

“Hey -------, you wanna grab a drink together? That practice really got me tired.”

“Are you hitting on my girl?” asked Donghae as he hugged you from behind. “Don’t do that.” Donghae was your best friend and almost like a brother to you. He was your classmate in the academy, and was also your teammate in almost every assignment you’d been on since you graduated. Out of all the Rogues, Donghae was the only one you completely trusted.

“Sungmin,” you said, “even if I were to get a drink with you, you’d still flirt with every other girl at the shop.”

“Hmmm, that sounds about right. Maybe we’ll get that drink later.”

===============

You were in the Court meeting room with the other Heads of departments, waiting to receive your assignments.

“Pay attention, everyone. We have a transfer from another Court station in Pusan, Cho Kyuhyun.” Yesung indicated the young man standing next to him. You looked at Kyuhyun. He would have been handsome, if he didn’t have such an arrogant look on his face.

You nodded a greeting at him, but instead of acknowledging you, he just sneered and looked away. You were surprised at his rude behavior and would have said something, but Yesung began speaking again.

“Now, Kyuhyun is here with us to-"

“Hold on,” Kyuhyun interrupted. “I refuse to have HER in the room as we discuss my business.” He pointed at you. “She isn’t ranked enough.”

“Now just a minute,” objected Heechul, Head of Firearms. “------ is good enough to lead any department she chooses. It’s just that she likes doing missions more than leading a department.”

“It doesn’t matter,” retorted Kyuhyun. “She’s still a woman.” At this, the atmosphere began to fill with tension.

“She is one of our best,” said Hangeng, Head of Combat.

“Then you all can’t be very good, then,” said Kyuhyun nastily. The Heads of all the departments began to slowly rise from their chairs, all muttering at Kyuhyun.

“ENOUGH,” you said sharply. “Kyuhyun, while you blabber on, the rest of the Rogues have work to do. Yesung, please continue to give us our assignments.” Kyuhyun was too shocked that someone had said that to him that he said nothing more that meeting.

You, on the other hand, were also surprised when everyone else received their current assignment and you got nothing. After the meeting, Yesung took you aside and explained why.

“------, you have a very important non-combat assignment. You must retrieve information from one of our hidden Rogues and bring it back to us. Ryeowook will give you the coordinates of the drop point. No one else must know of this.” And Yesung quickly walked away.

============

A/N: Sorry if it's a pretty boring chapter! I had to introduce a few of the characters that ------ will be working with. I promise it'll get better! :D