Surprise, Part II

The Court of Rogues

 

Sungmin, Sunny, Kyuhyun, and you decided to stop for ice cream. You four were the only people in the place, besides the clerk. Sungmin and Sunny shared a large bowl of pink strawberry goodness. You watched as they took turns eating, laughing and giggling as they held hands under the table. 

 

You smiled as Sungmin carefully fed Sunny a portion of ice cream, getting it on himself in the process. She giggled and gently wiped his face.

“They look so adorable together!” you said to Kyuhyun softly.

Kyuhyun was watching you smile. He really really liked your smile. Yet, no matter how happy the scene was, he couldn’t shake the feeling that something was going very, very wrong. 

“Yeah,” he said grumpily. “Two grown adults acting like crazy kids in love. Adorable.”

You gave him a look and helped yourself to some of his ice cream.It was chocolate, and very delicious. You grinned like a kid and took some more. “Oh, be quiet and let them enjoy the moment. Here, wanna try some of mine?” You noticed the expression on his face. “Kyuhyun? Is something wrong?”

 

Before he could reply, gunfire erupted over your heads. Kyuhyun cried out in pain and slumped to the floor. 

“KYUHYUN!” you cried.

Sunny screamed as a group of men appeared in the doorway, led by the thief that had threatened you earlier. Their guns blazed and you leaped out of the way, pulling out the revolver that you always kept in your jacket pocket. Out of the corner of your eye you saw Sunny dashing behind the counter, with Sungmin right behind her and firing at the men. 

You ran behind the ice cream counter too, and managed to hit a few of the attackers. You tried desperately not look at Kyuyun’s motionless body lying on the ground. He was still... so still...

 

You wiped the tears from your eyes and concentrated. Aim. Fire. Duck behind the counter. Aim again. Fire. Duck again. 

Bad guys dropped, but there were many of them, and the gunfire didn’t stop. Then you noticed, right above the attackers were two large lamps. Carefully aiming, you managed to shoot down the lamps, right above the men with guns. The lamps shattered and fell, knocking the men unconscious. 

 

You ran to Kyuhyun immediately. “Kyuhyun oppa? Please, oppa, please say something!” 

Kyuhyun opened his eyes. “Do you know,” he said, painfully chuckling, “that’s the first time I’ve heard you call me oppa... ever.” He closed his eyes again, wincing from the pain.

“No, oppa! Don’t go to sleep,” you cried.

His eyes flew open. “I’m not. I just wanted to see if you’d call me oppa again.”

You scowled furiously at him. “A joke? You’ve been shot, and you’re telling a JOKE?!”

“When, if not now?” he smirked painfully.

“WHEN YOU DON’T HAVE A BLEEDING HOLE IN YOUR SIDE!!”

Sungmin coughed, trying to get your attention. “---------, these men have the symbol of Rogue Guild on their clothes. We should probably get out of here. Come on, I’ll help you with Kyuhyun.”

Gently you helped Kyuhyun up, then placed his arms around you and Sungmin. Sunny had already called a cab to take you home. 

The cab driver glanced suspiciously at Kyuhyun, who was slumped against you and Sungmin. You had used your jacket to cover his wound, so the driver couldn’t see the gunshot.

“My friend,” you explained. “He’s drunk.” 

“Drunk so early in the morning?” the driver shook his head incredulously. “Kids these days.”