Gambling

The Court of Rogues

You were in the most luxurious room you had ever seen. Everything sparkled, and glittered, and shone. Everything, that is, except the table.

Sitting at the table were Kibum and Yoochun, both pretending to be criminals gambling away every cent. The rest of the men at the table didn’t have to pretend. They were dressed impeccably, but were villains through and through. The tension in the air was at an all time high. You couldn’t really tell what exactly was going on, but you knew that neither Kibum nor Yoochun were winning, even though they were supposed to. The success of your assignment depended on it.

“You had better get up there,” whispered a voice. It was Siwon, Head of Security. One of the more permanent jobs that the Rogues always had to do was be bodyguards for the rich and powerful. It was an easy way to gain access to important events and information. Currently Siwon was pretending to be a bodyguard for an official that was suspected to be corrupt. The official’s presence at the gambling ring proved that he was corrupt, of course. Back to the scene at hand-

“You had better get up there,” whispered Siwon. Behind Siwon, Sungmin shifted impatiently, tapped his foot, and looked at his watch. He looks more nervous than usual, you thought.

Siwon nudged you and nodded his head at the table.

“I’m going, I’m going,” you grumbled. You knew that you could distract the other players, (after all, you looked pretty damn hot in that outfit) but how you hated to use your looks in an assignment! You would have rather bashed some heads in then act as eye candy. Just then, the dealer called a break. This was your cue.

You breathed deeply, straightened your dress, and strutted up to the table. Every eye was on you, but you were only focused on Kibum. It wasn’t hard to do, since he looked rather dashing in his sharp black suit and hat. Seductively, you draped an arm around him and passed him a full champagne glass, making sure that all the players were looking at you and only you.

As you did this and everybody was distracted, Yoochun stealthily switched a card on the table for one in his hand. You whispered in Kibum’s ear something that the other players assumed was something a dirty girlfriend whispered to her boyfriend, but what you really told Kibum was, “Let Yoochun win.” Then you turned to leave the table, making sure that they were still focused on your toned and legs.

The game was over in the next few minutes. Thanks to your distraction and Kibum’s secret assistance, Yoochun won the vast amount of money on the table. He smugly swept the money into his hat and secured it. Then, in one smooth motion, he and Kibum drew their hidden guns.

“Boys, playtime is over!” Yoochun quipped.

You and Siwon groaned at his corny line, but you two drew your guns anyways. The room erupted and everyone dashed for the exits.

Siwon caught his corrupt official by the arm. “Sir, I resign!” Then he hit the official on the head and knocked him out.

You ran to catch up to a couple of gamblers trying to escape in the pandemonium. It was hard to run in heels, so finally you gave up running, took off your heels, and chucked them at the gamblers. Your aim happened to be spot on and both gamblers got knocked out by your (very) heavy heels. Turning, you roundhouse-kicked a criminal in the head and spun him into another criminal. You then tackled both to the ground and knocked them out by ramming the heel of your hand into the back of their necks. You slapped handcuffs on them both and stood.

A bullet whizzed over your head and you quickly ducked down again. Turning, you saw Kibum shoot the gambler who shot at you. He smiled at you, then dove under a table as Yoochun and his opponent ran by, both shooting at each other. Swiftly, you aimed and fired. Your bullet clipped Yoochun’s hat, ricocheted off a nearby pillar, and finally found its target- Yoochun’s adversary.

You heard gunfire off to your left and were about to shoot again, but then you saw that Yunho had it under control. Expertly he ducked, dodged, and dove to avoid the bullets and came up behind the ones who were firing. He slammed their heads together and twisted their arms, making them drop their weapons. Within an hour, you and your fellow Rogues had succeeded in obtaining the fake money, arresting the gamblers, and shutting down the whole operation.

“Not bad for an assignment,” you said to yourself.

Yoochun, overhearing this, gasped in indignity. “Not bad?! Look what you did to my hat!” he yelled. A whole chunk of it was missing because of your bullet. And for the first time since Henry’s death, you laughed.

=========

Back at Rogue Court, you dumped a huge pile of paperwork on Onew’s desk as he looked on in astonishment.

“Hello, my little minion,” you sneered at him.

“I am not a minion! You will refer to me by my title, which is desk clerk,” he replied, offended.

“Hmmm, either way, it still means you have to do my and all the other’s paperwork,” you replied, grinning.

The Court of Rogues kept records of each assignment done by the Rogues, except for the hidden Rogue assignments, of course. Onew was a Rogue trainee, but he didn’t specialize in any department, like his classmates Key and Jonghyun did. He wasn’t sure what department he wanted to go into, so Yesung just stuck him in the position of clerk, which was good for you, because it meant Onew would be keeping your records for you.

“Relax, Onew,” you told him. “All you have to do is write a report of what happened at the gambling ring. I and the rest of the team have written our accounts down, so just summarize. Good luck, minion.” You smiled as he scowled at you. Onew was a good kid, so you didn’t mind teasing him once in a while.

Jaejoong was a different story. You bumped into him as you walked away from Onew’s desk.

“Watch it!” he snarled and gave you a shove. Jaejoong wasn’t even a Rogue. He was a former criminal that the Court used for counterfeiting assignments. He was the leading expert on all types of forgery, which you guessed was the only reason why the Court kept such a jackass around. The rumor was that Jaejoong had wanted to be a Rogue, but wasn’t allowed into the training program because of his criminal record.

Jaejoong was a jerk, plain and simple. He’d never liked you because you were a girl and graduated early, unlike him, who didn‘t graduate at all. He was convinced that you received special treatment from everybody. He hung out with Kyuhyun a lot, and you just knew that the two conspired to give you hell whenever they saw you.

“What are you doing here?” you asked him.

He smirked. “As the former best counterfeiter in the world, I am here to trace the fake money that you got by acting ty. Which shouldn’t have been that hard for you.” He was deliberately trying to get you mad.

You refused to take the bait. “Just let the rest of the team know when you’re done.” You didn’t wait for an answer and continued on your way.

In the following days, you, Yunho, Sungmin, Donghae, Kibum, and Yoochun were able to find where the fake money was being made, thanks to Jaejoong’s expert tracing. Your team shut down the machines, arrested the counterfeiters, and were able to successfully complete the assignment. No other assignments went wrong, and slowly, you began to stop thinking about the possibly of a traitor in the Court. Rogue Court was getting to be good for you again, and maybe, just maybe, you didn’t want to think of the possibility that anything was wrong.