Safe

The Court of Rogues

“Where are we now?” you sleepily asked Kyuhyun. He had brought you to a small apartment in the city.

“Hangeng told me to keep you safe…and this is the safest place I could think of,” he said. “Um, do you want anything to drink?”

“Kyuhyun, why are you being so nice?” you asked suddenly. “You haven’t acted like a jerk at all."

"I'd rather not say at the moment," he said, looking away.

"Are you sick? Has the heat made you recently insane?" You reached out, meaning to touch his forehead, but accidentally smacked him instead. 

"Ow, stop that!" he snapped, and pushed your hand away. “I am perfectly sane. It’s just…things got a bit complicated ever since you got back.” 

You sank onto the couch. “Fine, don’t tell me.”

“I won’t.” He left the room and walked to the kitchen, while you looked around the room.

 

You were sitting on the couch in the middle of the living room, which had some furniture, a tv, and a computer off to the side. On the wall you glimpsed pictures of a smiling young boy with two people who must have been his parents. The boy looked strangely familiar…You were too tired to think of who the boy reminded you of, though. Sighing, you allowed yourself to relax and leaned back. It was hard to believe that just the day before, you were tied to a chair in Rogue Guild and watching them attack your beloved Rogue Court. Somehow, you felt safe here, and at peace. You were still curious as to where “here” was, exactly. You shook the thought from your head and closed your eyes, planning to rest them for a moment.

 

When Kyuhyun came back, you were fast asleep on the couch, exhausted from everything that you had been through. He shook his head, gazing at your face. “She didn’t deserve to be betrayed like that,” he said softly to himself. He hesitated, then, in one fluid motion, picked you up in his arms. Gently, he carried you to a bedroom, where he set you down. He grinned suddenly. “If she was awake she’d probably kill me for that.”

You suddenly stirred, and he moved away. “Sleep well, ---------,“ he whispered and closed the door behind him.

 

The next morning, you woke up in an unfamiliar bed, in an unfamiliar room. “How did I get here?” you murmured sleepily. Then it all came back to you. Watching your friends get attacked by your worst enemies, and not being able to do anything about it. Looking at Donghae’s face, wondering if he was ever going to wake up. Then Kyuhyun taking you here, whatever here was. 

Kyuhyun himself appeared in the doorway. “Are you alright?” he asked, noticing the look on your face. 

“I’m fine,” you replied, when really, you were not. You looked around the room, noticing that there were more pictures of the same smiling little boy with his parents on the walls here. It suddenly occurred to you that if Kyuhyun smiled more, he would look like an older version of that boy…

“Oh my goodness,” you said, finally figuring it out. “Kyuhyun, the boy in the pictures is you, isn’t it?”

Kyuhyun nodded. 

Then you noticed something else. All of the pictures were of a very young Kyuhyun and his parents. There were no pictures of a teenaged Kyuhyun, nor were there any recent pictures of his parents. You asked him about this.

A shadow seemed to pass over Kyuhyun’s face. “There aren’t any recent pictures of my parents…because they’re dead. When I was a kid, they got gunned down in crossfire between Rogue Court and Rogue Guild. They were innocents…and they still got killed. Rogue Court took responsibility for the shooting, and they took me in and trained me in their academy.” He looked confused. “I’ve never told anybody that before.” *Why did I just tell her that?* he thought. 

 

You looked down, feeling intense sympathy for a man that, only a few days ago, you suspected of being a traitor. “I’m so sorry,” you whispered. To grow up among his parents' killers, alone, with so much grief and hate for such a long time… no wonder Kyuhyun was such an angry young man!

Kyuhyun shook his head and smiled a little, as if he knew what was in your head. “Don’t apologize. I’ve…gotten over it. Anyways,” he continued. “This is their old place. I only found out about it when I graduated from the academy. You’re safer here than in a Rogue Court safe house, just because I personally went to Ryeowook and had him erase this address from any records that the Court must have.” 

You frowned in confusion. “I’m in danger?”

“Yes. As long as the men who are responsible for this are alive, you are not safe,” he answered. 

“Whom are you talking about?”

Kyuhyun opened his mouth to answer, and then shut it. “Look,” he said finally. “Maybe I’m not the person who should be telling you this.”

You sighed. “More secrets?” you asked with a sarcastic smile. “Great.”

He had the grace to look away. “I’m sorry.”

“Can we go back to the hospital?” you asked. “I want to see how Donghae is doing.”

Kyuhyun nodded. “Sure.”

 

 

A/N: Okay, okay, you guys caught me. It's a Kyuhyun and you story! lol sorry for getting your hopes up if you were hoping for Donghae or somebody else ;) Anyway, thanks for always commenting, my awesome readers! I hope you're enjoying the story so far. I don't think I can update as much as once a day anymore, so I'm sorry for that. But keep letting me know what you think! <3 you all!