Second Assignment

The Court of Rogues

 

The Story so far...

Basically, Henry Lau is a spy. Problem is, no one knows he's a spy except for you... and whoever killed him. When Henry gets killed in front of your eyes, you know that someone else knows about Henry's job, too. And that person is the traitor. Problem is, there's no way to prove that Henry is a spy, therefore, no way to prove that there's a traitor. Your coworkers basically think you're going crazy. There is a violin, though- Henry's violin that he gave to you. If you can somehow figure out what "kill the code" means, you might be able to open the violin...and catch a traitor.

=======================

 

Time passed, and you still had no idea what “kill the code” meant. You couldn’t retrieve the information (if there was any) from the violin. You’d even taken the violin to Ryeowook and had him run scans on it, to see if anything turned up. Nothing. No other assignments had gone as wrong as yours, either, so your theory about a traitor in Rogue Court was looking more and more like the rambling of someone with too much stress on her mind. Whenever Kyuhyun saw you, he never lost the chance to mock you about your failed assignment and how your “fragile female mind” was always making up crazy stories. You nearly lost your temper with that jerk on several encounters.

========

You were talking to Yesung about your betrayer theory one day until he impatiently stopped you.

“-------! You do realize that there has been NOTHING to prove your theory except that violin? Which, by the way, I really doubt has anything important in it. You need to give it up. I know you feel guilty for Henry’s death, but making up conspiracy theories isn’t going to help him or you! If Kyuhyun knew how obsessed you were about this, he’d use this as an excuse to get you fired. You know he hates you.”

You sighed. “But-”

“That’s enough, -------. You have other assignments to put your mind to. I advise you to just treat this as just a failed assignment.” Yesung handed you an envelope and walked away.

“No,” you said to yourself. "Henry died for a REASON. This isn’t a failure, this is something more and I will get to the bottom of this for Henry.”

Yesung was right about one thing, though. You did have other assignments. You went to the room where your team was assembling for another assignment, this time to pose as gamblers in a huge illegal gambling chain. There was a rise in the amount of fake money being circulated, and all attempts to trace the money led back to this particular gambling ring. The government didn’t have the resources to deal with the problem, so you and your team were going to be the ones to find the fake money, arrest whoever was making and circulating it, and shut down the gambling ring. There was definitely going to be combat.

=========

On the way to the meeting room, you bumped into Kibum, another Rogue like you who wasn’t a Head and just went on assignments.

“Hi, -------!” said Kibum brightly.

“H-hi!” you stuttered. Damn. Why couldn’t you be more smooth? You had a crush on Kibum ever since you were in the same class as him. You and Kibum had been the top students in your class, and while you could beat him in combat, you’d probably just let him beat you so he’d smile at you…he had the cutest smile…*sigh* Anyways, you really, really liked Kibum. You didn’t get to see him much, though, since he was always away on his assignments.

“Oh, by the way, I heard about that business with the hidden Rogue,” Kibum said. “Don‘t let it get you down. There was no way you could have saved Henry.” He smiled at you and you practically melted.

“Thanks for being so nice,” you replied. “Are you working on the gambling assignment too?” you asked.

Kibum grinned and nodded yes.

“Oh, that’s good,” you casually told him. Inside you were anything but casual. Inside you were jumping up and down, screaming, clapping your hands, everything. But on the outside, you were calm, cool, and collected. Good for you!

You two walked to the meeting room together, but were surprised that it was locked. You could hear Donghae and the rest of the team inside already, laughing and joking.

“Donghae!” you called. “Donghae, open the door!” You heard footsteps.

“What?” asked a voice. “Who are you?”

You recognized the voice as Donghae. “Donghae, I’m serious! Let me in!”

“….Age?”

*Oh no*, you thought to yourself. *Not again. Not when Kibum is standing right next to me.*

“Donghae, please don’t make me do this. You already know its me!” You could hear the others giggling to themselves. But Donghae cheekily asked again.

“AGE?!”

You sighed and wearily replied, “B.” The room erupted in laughter.

“C?” asked Donghae, stifling a giggle.

*sigh* “D.”

“E?”

“F you now OPEN THE DOOR!” you roared.

Cackling, Donghae opened the door. Inside, you saw Sungmin, Yunho, Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Onew, all laughing their heads off.

“Now that we are all here, let’s get down to business,” you said coldly. You hated Donghae’s little password game, especially when he did it in front of Kibum! “Do we know what we‘re doing?“

Yunho wiped the grin off his face and rapidly told everyone their instructions.

“Kibum and Yoochun will pose as gamblers and join the gambling ring. -------- will be there as eye candy and distract the other players. Sungmin will accompany you three. Yoochun and Kibum will pretend to play against each other, but they will really work together to make sure that one of them wins. Remember, either Kibum or Yoochun HAS to win. Once they win, take the money, which we are sure will be counterfeit.” Yunho frowned.

“That’s odd. Kyuhyun was supposed to help with this assignment, but he isn’t here… “

You gave a small sigh of thanks. Kyuhyun on your team was NOT something you were looking forward to. It was just as well he’d disappeared.

“Anyways,” continued Yunho, “everyone will help shut down the gambling ring, and bring the money to Court where Onew and Jaejoong will help trace it. Then Sungmin, Donghae, and I will help the rest of you go to the counterfeiters’ lair and destroy it. Sound good?”

Everyone agreed….except you.

“What does this mean, eye candy?” you asked. Jaejoong smirked and answered you.

“It means, --------, that you have to wear a dress.”

===================

30 minutes later-

“HELL NO!!!” you told Heechul. “No way am I wearing a dress.” The effeminate Heechul was the Head of Firearms but he also doubled as the Head of Attire, making sure that the Rogues were properly dressed to suit their assignments.

Heechul rubbed his aching forehead. “Please stop yelling. It’s an underground gambling ring…which means that the people involved are gamblers. And you KNOW how gamblers love short skirts”.

“No, not really,” you replied.

“I don’t care just put it ON!” yelled Heechul as he a tiny piece of material at you.

You gulped and tried it on. “No way. I am not doing an assignment dressed like this!”

“You are and you will. Now good luck!” Heechul briefly hugged you and kicked you out of his office.

“Why don’t you give me a pair of heels to add to my humiliation?!” you yelled sarcastically.

“Good idea!” Heechul yelled back and within another 30 minutes, you were teetering up the stairs in a rag that was too short to call itself a dress and a pair of the highest heels you had ever seen.

“Forget about Kibum losing the card game,” you muttered to yourself. “The greatest threat to this assignment will be me trying not to drop champagne on his head in this ridiculous costume!"

 

===================

Author's Note: Here is the inspiration for Donghae's little password game, watch at about 40 seconds-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipbv1WB0_fg 

It is very old, but still incredibly adorable XD