Traitor?

The Court of Rogues

“Your hidden Rogue is dead,” you said flatly. “Someone knew he was spying, and gunned him down as he played his music. Someone found a spy that was never supposed to be found.”

“It was a risk the spy knew he was taking,” answered Yesung.

“That’s not the point! Someone told the gunman that Henry was a spy! How else would he have known to shoot at Henry?” you yelled.

“Are you sure he was aiming at Henry?” Hangeng asked in his calm voice.

“Yes!”

“And are you sure that Henry was the hidden Rogue?”

“Of course! He gave me the violin case, didn‘t he?”

And the morning continued on like that, with the Heads refusing to believe that they had a traitor in their midst. Because why else would someone shoot at Henry? Obviously someone in Court was responsible for Henry’s death, either by passing on information to the gunman or being the gunman themselves. But nobody believed you.

===============

Part of the problem was that damn violin case Henry had given you. When you returned to Court with the case in your hands and your conscience screaming at you to go back for Henry, you opened the case. The case itself wasn’t the problem, it was the thing inside the case that made you visit the punching bag twice a day instead of once. Inside the violin case was…a violin.

It looked exactly like any other violin, complete with bow. Nowhere on the violin could you find any little holes or compartments that would give you the information that you needed. Because with no information, how could the Heads believe that Henry was truly the hidden Rogue? He could just have an old friend who gave you a present, and then got tragically gunned down in a crossfire.

The hidden Rogues were hidden too well. Nobody at Court could verify Henry’s position as a spy since the ones who trained him and other hidden Rogues went into retirement after training was completed. Even Yesung didn’t know. All the Heads knew was that the information you were SUPPOSED to receive had better show up soon, or else you wouldn’t have completed your assignment. Without the information, you won’t be able to prove Henry was the hidden Rogue, either.

So what the heck were you going to do? And what does “kill the code” mean anyways?