First Assignment

The Court of Rogues

Hidden Rogues were an odd group in Court. All Rogues had to do some occasional spying on assignments, but hidden Rogues were different. They were trained to spy and only spy. No one knew who they were or who they spied on. Nobody could find them, they were so well hidden.

Hidden Rogues were trained by the preceding generation of hidden Rogues, who then went into retirement so they couldn’t be forced to reveal any identities. Everything was done in total secrecy. Since no one could find them, hidden Rogues collected a LOT of information and were very, very dangerous to people who wanted to keep their information private.

To retrieve a hidden Rogue’s information was an important mission indeed.

You got the coordinates from Ryeowook and went to the drop point. You were surprised to discover that the drop point was inside a large concert hall, with a performance scheduled to take place right before you were supposed to meet the hidden spy. You scanned the crowd for a familiar face. You were beginning to think that Yesung had finally messed up on an assignment until suddenly you saw a person in front of you.

“Li Yin!” the person exclaimed happily. “I missed you!” You were about to tell the person that he had the wrong person and you were NOT Li Yin until you got a good look at the person’s face. It was Henry Lau, and he definitely did not have the wrong person.

Henry was the hidden Rogue. You two had attended classes together while training to be Rogues, and got to be very close. Then one day Henry disappeared. Your teachers said that Henry couldn’t take the pressure anymore and dropped out, and you believed it. But looking at Henry now, it was obvious that the story of his dropping out was a lie. He had become a hidden Rogue and lost his identity because of it.
You figured all of this out in a few seconds.

“Li Yin!” Henry said again, and hugged you. As he hugged you, you felt the handle of a case slip into your hand.

“Kill the code,” muttered Henry into your ear, and just like that, he vanished. You found yourself alone and holding a violin case, one of those that anyone could buy off the street.