Hacked

The Court of Rogues

Ji Yong, Seung Hyun, and Young Bae had been tried for their numerous crimes and were sent away to foreign jails in the U.S. and Japan. Even better, you and the other Rogues had apprehended the rest of the gang who were in the hideout, two other criminals whose street names were Seungri and Daesung.

~~~

A few days later, you were walking through the main floor when you passed Kyuhyun. Sneering, he purposefully bumped you into the wall with his shoulder as he went by. Nothing much had changed since the two of you kissed. He was still an arrogant jackass, except he didn’t even bother insulting you verbally anymore. He’d just bully you whenever you didn’t expect it.

You ignored Kyuhyun because just then you received an urgent summons from Shindong. “---------, get over here quickly! Ryeowook’s been hacked!!”

Oh no. Ryeowook hacked?! In the whole time since he’d been Head of Technology, Ryeowook’s system had never been hacked before. His security system was way too complex for anyone to access it except for him.

Until now.

~~~

You ran to Ryeowook’s desk. He sat there, surrounded by Sungmin, Shindong, Donghae, and Yesung. You went up to him. “Ryeowook oppa, are you alright?” He looked at you with a dazed expression.

“My computer…my files…someone got in…” He shook his head. “Someone got into the entire tech system of the Court of Rogues. The worst part is, I can’t even tell what he did, because he implanted a virus into my observer files. He could have copied all our passwords, our codes, even the layout of the Court! The hacker now knows all of our information, the files on the different Rogues, and they‘ll be able to sabotage any plans that we might have made. Everything‘s ruined!” Ryeowook started to hyperventilate.

“Was it Key?“ Sungmin quietly asked Shindong. “After all, he is our best hacker after Ryeowook…”

Shindong shook his head. “No, I don’t think Key is capable of this. He’s an excellent hacker, yes, but he’s seen so much of Ryeowook’s system that he wouldn’t need to do any hacking. He could get all that information without Ryeowook even knowing.”

Donghae slung an arm around the panicking Ryeowook comfortingly as Siwon shook his head. “Ryeowook, there is no time for that. Calm down. You have to reset the entire tech system and change all of our codes,” said Siwon.

Ryeowook looked at Yesung. “It’s going to take a long time to reset my system, possibly a couple of days,” he told you all.

Yesung faced you. “--------, no one except a Rogue could get close to Ryeowook’s computer. There’s definitely a traitor in the Court. We should have believed you when you voiced your suspicions, and now it’s too late. I‘m sorry.”

You accepted his apology and Yesung continued speaking to the rest of you. “The entire Court of Rogues will go into lockdown until the traitor is found. No assignments will be given out, no information sent out. Nothing. The activities of the Rogues will be shut down until Ryeowook determines that it is safe to resume action.”

“Well, hold on,” said Sungmin. “Is it really necessary to stop all activities? After all, we don’t know how much information that the hacker’s gotten. Maybe he only got a small amount of information before he was interrupted.”

Ryeowook disagreed. “If the hacker’s good enough to implant a virus in my files, he’s good enough to access as much information as possible. It’s best to play it safe until I can fully ascertain the damage and how much information was copied. For now, lockdown is our best option.”

~~~

It was as Yesung ordered. Lockdown. No new assignments, no information sent out or in. Security was at an all time high. Tensions were also at an all time high. You had to break up a fight between Taemin and another Rogue trainee, Dong Ho.

“Taemin! You know better than to pick fights!” you scolded.

“He called me a traitor! I had to punch him!” he shot back.

You glared at Dong Ho as he shrugged. “All I said was that ANYBODY could be the traitor, even him,” Dong Ho defended himself.

You massaged your aching forehead. “Don’t even say that kind of stuff, Dong Ho. This is serious business.” You gave both trainees a shake. “Don’t let me catch either of you picking fights again.”

Taemin and Dong Ho nodded sheepishly, and with that, you set off again through the corridor.

~~~

Later that night, you couldn’t sleep. You kept going over the past few months in your head, ever since Henry died. Something didn’t make sense. Of course, now that everyone knew there was a traitor, it made you life easier, since you didn’t get dismissed as a crazy. But this also meant that whatever the traitor was planning was going to happen soon.

You gave up trying to sleep and got out of bed, planning to work off the insomnia by going to the training room. Although the Court of Rogues was in lockdown and nobody was supposed to be out of their rooms past midnight, you didn't care. You weren’t planning to get caught.

You walked along the dark hallway, your boots making no sound on the concrete floor. The doors along the hallway were all dark, except for one. You glimpsed a light shining from underneath the door to the meeting room. Who could be up at this hour, especially with lockdown? Frowning, you walked quickly towards the door.

You were almost to the door when BAM! You crashed into someone and fell heavily to the floor.

“Clumsy…” a voice sneered.

You groaned. Just the person you wanted to see…not.

Kyuhyun, dressed all in black and nearly invisible in the dark.

“What are you doing here?” you asked him suspiciously.

Kyuhyun chuckled. “I could ask the same thing of you.”

You blushed. “It’s none of your business.”

“Then don’t meddle in mine.” He turned and walked away.

You turned back to the meeting room, but in the time that you encountered Kyuhyun, whoever had been in it had left, and the room was now dark.

“It was probably just Yesung, planning again,” you muttered to yourself. Was it coincidence that Kyuhyun had bumped into you and distracted you just before you went into the room? Or was it a bit more than that? You shook off the uneasy feeling that you were getting and continued walking to the training room, where at least there were no shadows and you could hit something as much as you wanted.

A few minutes later, you were happily taking your anger out on the poor punching bag. And if you were imagining that the said punching bag was Kyuhyun, well, so what? As long as you weren't punching the real thing, it was fine.

“------------? What are you doing here?” a voice called.

You jumped, startled.

Kibum grinned and walked toward you. “No need to get all frightened. It’s just me. But what are you doing here?”

You looked down guiltily. “I know we’re under lockdown, but I couldn’t sleep. What about you?”

He glanced around. “Yesung gave me a special assignment, even though we’re not supposed to be going on assignments. Don’t tell anyone, though, because it’s top secret.” Kibum looked at you. “I’m sorry, but I can’t even tell you what it’s about.”

You nodded. “I understand.”

He gave you a relieved look. “Thanks. I’ll see you in the morning, araso?”

“Of course. Good night, Kibum.”

“Get some rest, jagiya.” Kibum smiled at you, then left.

You walked on, so pleased that Kibum that had called you sweetheart that you nearly bumped into another person.

“Does no one pay attention to the concept of lockdown anymore?” you grumbled to yourself.

The person laughed, a high chuckle that you realized as belonging to Sungmin. “I couldn’t sleep. What’s your excuse?”

“I couldn’t sleep either,” you replied.

Sungmin nodded. “Yeah, insomnia practically comes with the job description.” He looked around nervously.

“Is something wrong?” you asked.

He shook his head. “Just looking out for Yesung or other Heads. They wouldn’t like us being out during lockdown.” He grinned. “Suddenly I’m tired. I’ll see you later, ---------.“

You decided that you were getting tired as well, and quietly walked back to your room. You could wait until morning to go to the training room.
================================