Teamwork

The Court of Rogues

Love. Loss. Betrayal. Forgiveness. Loyalty. Treachery. All these things you will discover here at Court. But do not fear, reader, for I will be with you every step of the way.

 

“Three steps forward,” the voice in your head told you.

“Now one quarter-turn to your right.” You obeyed these instructions without question, creeping along the corridor with your gun in your hand. You were in a pitch-black maze and you could see absolutely nothing, so you had to trust the voice in your head to tell you what to do next.

“Fire!” said the voice in your head. You pulled the trigger. There was a cry, and then your gun left red splotches on the wall, and on a body.

“Quickly, now. Run straight ahead until I tell you to stop. Ok, stop!” You skidded to a halt. Since you couldn’t see anything, you didn’t know that just ahead of you was a wide black hole, small enough to jump over but large enough to fall through if you miscalculated your jump. The voice in your head knew that the hole was there, though.

“-----------, I want you to jump 3 feet straight out.” You didn’t move. Instead, you stood there and silently waited for the voice in your head to figure out that you couldn’t measure distance in the dark.

“Oh, wait, I forgot. You can’t measure distance in the dark.” You grinned to yourself, pleased that the voice in your head could also read your mind.

“Very well, then. ---------, please do a complete front somersault.” You did this, the momentum of your flip taking you safely up and over the hole in the floor.

“Good work. Now, I want you to- DOWN!!!” The voice in your head shouted suddenly. Immediately you dropped to the floor. You heard a small click, and then you felt dozens of somethings whiz over your head to explode the opposite wall. You listened carefully for a sound, and there it was- someone cursing quietly to themselves.

“Fire!” said the voice in your head again, but you didn’t need it to tell you what to do anymore. Swiftly you aimed your gun towards the sound and pulled the trigger. More cries of pain, and you knew your bullets had found their mark.
You waited a few seconds, and suddenly the whole maze was flooded with light. You walked over to examine your victim. He was sprawled on the floor, red spots decorating his otherwise plain clothes. He wasn’t moving. You chuckled to yourself, and then said, “Alright, Sungmin, we get it. You’re dead. Now will you please get up?”
`
Sungmin scowled as he stood up stiffly.

“Jeez, ------, did you have to fire so many paintballs at me? It’s only an exercise, and I’m going to take forever to get the paint out of my shirt.”

“I’m sorry, pretty boy. Maybe next time if you don’t talk so much, I’ll have a harder time killing you,” you said sweetly.

“If you weren’t so attractive, -------, I’d shoot you with my paintball gun right now,” Sungmin replied. Before you could respond to Sungmin’s lame attempt at flirting, Yesung walked in, trailing a slightly embarrassed Donghae.

“Good work, Sungmin. You were able to hold out against ------ for even longer this time,” said Yesung.

“Thank you, sir,” replied Sungmin.

“I could have stayed in longer, too!” interrupted Donghae, “but Shindong wasn’t doing a good job telling me where to go. Why can’t I team with Ryeowook on this exercise?” While Donghae was speaking, Shindong, Ryeowook, and Key entered the room.

“If you had actually paid attention to my instructions, Donghae, maybe you would have known where to go instead of just going on ahead blindly!” snapped Shindong. As Donghae and Shindong began arguing, Ryeowook came up to you.

“Well, how did the earpiece that I designed work?” asked Ryeowook.

“Perfectly,” you beamed at him. You took the little gadget out of your ear and handed it back to him. “The sound quality was so good, it was almost as if you were inside my head!”

Key walked up to Sungmin. “I’m sorry, hyung. I should have been a better instructor.” He bowed his head.

Sungmin smiled at him. “Its ok, Key. It’s my fault. I forgot that -------- has almost supernatural hearing.” Sungmin turned to you. “One day, ------, I’m going to hit you with the paintballs.” 
Yesung, overhearing this, chuckled and said, “The day someone hits -------- is the day I lose my job to that person. She and Ryeowook make too good of a team.” Leaning closer to you, he then said, “You better not get hit, --------. I like my job.”
`
The seven of you left the maze. “It’s a shame Kibum doesn’t participate in blind paintball. I bet HE could hit --------“, said Donghae.

You laughed. “Thanks for having such faith in me, oppa. I’m glad Kibum likes to practice by himself.”