23

What Matters

 

“It’s just….I don’t know, I guess..Choi Siwon and Mr. Horvejkul’s lecture got to me.” Inhye said as she eyed the bits of strawberry in her ice cream. Kai nodded.

“But…were all of those true? Are you like really willing to…give up your..secret?”

Inhye smiled.

“If it were needed, if the time came, I would.”

“I don’t think that’s going to be soon.” Kai grinned at her, Inhye nodded.

“But, thanks..for back there.”

“Anytime, doc.”

“By the way~”

Kai glanced at Inhye, her eyes had gone wide as she stared ahead of them.

“Inhye, are you~”

“Eomma.”

 

“It’s this weekend, right.” Khun was clad in a business suit. Since Siwon wasn’t around, he was needed at the office. He was obliged to be at the office.

“Yes, sir. Director Choi also specifically asked for Doctor Lee’s presence. And…the president asked for her to come too.”

Khun almost smiled, the thought of Inhye at the opening somehow was amusing.

“I’ll call her after the meeting, any calls from the president?”

“Not yet, the chairman will arrive at Jeju this weekend.”

 

Inhye finally looked away from the lady and glanced at Kai.

“Inhye, dear, finally!” Her mother walked to her and wrapped her in her arms.

“You’re…back…since when?”

Her mother let go of her and smiled.

“Are you not happy I’m back?” She chided, then she noticed Kai beside her daughter.

“No, I didn’t mean it that way, I wasn’t..”

“Well, I will see you at the party this weekend, make sure to look nice.” She smiled before walking back to the Rolls Royce parked a few feet away from them. Inhye watched as the chauffeur opened the door for her mother, then they left.

“Your mom?”

“Yes. Sort of.”

“Huh?”

Inhye bit her lip.

“Kang Heekyung, during Siwon oppa’s mother and abeoji’s separation, she was the “woman”.” Inhye did air quotes.

“After my mom died, she took care of me, but I always l felt iffy about her.”

“Do you know why she’s back?” Kai asked, Inhye shook her head.  Then Inhye sighed heavily and pressed her forehead on his chest.

“I feel..so tired and worn out. Why is this day stressing me out!?” She ranted, Kai smiled and patted her back softly.

“Thanks for existing, Kim Jongin.”

“Should I say thanks for giving me a part time job?” He chuckled lightly.

“Let’s have fishcakes tonight.” She nodded.

“Call!”

 

“I don’t see the reason why we have to do this.” Inhye muttered as she let her brother pull her inside a Escada to try on clothes.

“I need you at the opening. I’ve never done this before.”

“Oppa, ever since you were born you’ve been attending these type of events with Siwon oppa, don’t try to lie.” Inhye replied as they were ushered in a private room.

“But he dealt with everything, all I did was just smile and be visible.”

Inhye chuckled before going behind the dark curtains.

“Well, there’s always a time for a first.”

“I know, and I need you there. Don’t worry, I registered you as a guest.”

“Cool, did you invite Kai too?”

Khun almost smiled.

“Of course, his family always is.”

Behind the curtains, now clad in a linen white dress that hugged her curves nicely, Inhye frowned.

“Oppa, today..I met Kang Heekyung.” She stepped from behind the curtains, Khun looked confused.

“She’s back, for good?”

“I don’t know, but she mentioned the party. She’s coming.”

Khun’s brows furrowed.

“I didn’t know she was invited.”

Inhye sighed and plopped beside her brother.

“I don’t feel good about this, why is she back?” She wondered.

“Don’t worry too much, I’m sure she’s just passing by.”

 

Inhye parked her Audi at the parking lot and glanced at the park across the complex, half expecting Kai to be waving at her.

But she was wrong.

Oh, Kai was there, but he wasn’t alone.

“Fishcakes.” She muttered to herself before grabbing her purse and shutting the door.

“Inhye? Doc!”

She winced slightly as she turned back to face him, she paused. It was Jangmi, the girl from earlier.

Inhye bit her lip as she crossed the road and approached them, she felt Jangmi’s cynical gaze on her.

“We’re having fishakes tonight, did you forget?” He smiled at her and poked her cheek lightly.

“Ani, I thought..you..were busy.” She nodded.

“Oppa, I asked you to eat with me.” Jangmi said.

“I already told you, I have an appointment tonight.” Kai turned to her.

“Actually, Kai, it’s fine. I’m full anyway, you two just….grab dinner.”

Inhye wanted to roll her eyes as Jangmi wrapped her arm around Kai’s.

“But, In~”

 

 

“I’ll call you tomorrow, don’t worry.” She said before hurrying toward the building.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++