20

What Matters

“I saw him too, they stepped out from the Choi residence.” Youngjae nodded.

Daehyun’s forehead creased slightly before taking his drink.

“But, why….what exactly are you planning? I think she’s moved on, Dae.”

Daehyun set his glass with a loud thud.

“I..want her back, I still love her.”

 

“It’s seafood stew.” Inhye looked up as Kai placed the huge bowl on the table.

“When did you learn how to cook?” She asked.

“My mom taught me how to since I was young. Eat up.”

“Why do we always eat when we’re together?” She chuckled before picking up her spoon.

Kai watched as Inhye started to eat, he couldn’t believe it. He thought he was one of those coldhearted females, but seeing her now, she wasn’t like that. Inhye was a warm person, it just takes time for her to loosen up.

He winced slightly as he felt another headache attack him.

“I told you, you looked kind of ill.” Inhye commented. Kai just shrugged before starting to eat.

“Take this before you sleep and after breakfast.” She took out a small bottle from her purse.

“I’ll come by to check on you tomorrow.”

“On-call doctor?” Kai grinned at her.

“Make sure to take it, Kim Jongin.”

 

“No, I can’t do that.” Inhye said through the phone.

She was speaking to the head nurse.

“I wont be able to come today, I’ve already told professor that I’d take the day off.”

She was already in the lobby, clad in a pair of hot shorts, a peplum shirt and her Fendi purse dangling on her arm.

“Okay, thank you.” She replied before putting her phone down, then she paused.

She dialed Kai’s number.

“Did you take it?” She asked, skipping all the niceties.

“I did.” Kai said in a distracted tone.

“Are you busy?”

“Sort of, can I call you later?” He asked.

“Sure.” Inhye nodded then she saw a familiar figure waiting outside the building.

 

“I…have a race today.” Daehyun said as Inhye walked to him.

“Good luck.” She replied, Daehyun shook his head.

“Oddly, I feel nervous.”

“You? Nervous? That’s…weird.” She nodded, Daehyun sighed and stretched his palm towards her.

“I…would really be grateful, if..you would watch me.”

“Dae, I~”

“As a friend, can’t..you?”

Inhye glanced at her watch, she felt Daehyun’s gaze, studying her.

“I have two hours, I’ll…watch.”

Daehyun’s smile almost caught her off guard, he grinned and kissed her cheek quickly.

“Thanks.”

 

Inhye glanced around her, the track was half empty. The occasion purr of engines could be heard even from afar.

“I knew we’d meet again.” Youngjae grinned as he walked to her, she smiled and shook his hand.

“He’s really happy that you came.”

Inhye just nodded.

“Daehyun….he feels…horrible for what happened.”

“Youngjae-ah,”

“I know, I wont talk about it, come with me, the guys reserved you a seat.”

 

“You did great..as usual.” Inhye nodded as Daehyun walked to her, he had just finished the race.

“Thanks, can you join us for lunch?” He asked, he glanced around and noticed that some males were eyeing her bare legs. He took off his jean jacket and tied the sleeves around her waist, Inhye froze as she felt Daehyun pull her closer.

“Jeans are a good investment.” He mused. She managed to smile at him.

“I don’t think I can, but~” Inhye glanced at the envelop on her bag.

“Can..you drop me somewhere?”

 

Kai’s brows met briefly before he signed on the blank line on the paper.

“But oppa, why didn’t you tell me you started working right away?”

“Jangmi-ya, I’ve been busy. Like now.”

Im Jangmi, she used to be one of the kids from Kai’s old school, she had a prominent background as well. And she had been going after Kai ever since they were kids.

“Let’s have lunch together oppa.”

 

Inhye looked at the building’s logo as Daehyun pulled over.

“Thanks for driving me here.”

“So you do company work now?” Daehyun asked lightly as he glanced at the building.

“Siwon oppa asked me to drop these here.” She replied as she opened the door.

“But, I’ll see you again….right?” Daehyun looked at her.

Inhye nodded before sliding out.

 

Inhye stopped in front of two doors, she was at the top floor. She was holding onto the envelop Siwon had handed to her.

“But…where is everyone?” She murmured, not accustomed to waiting on someone. She stared at the two oak doors and shrugged, she walked towards them and turned the knob.

 

“Jangmi~” Kai balked when the doors opened and a lost looking Inhye entered.

Perfect.

Kai smiled.

“Finally!” He smiled and stood up.

Inhye blinked as she saw Kai walking to her.

“Kai, I~” She halted when Kai wrapped his arms around her waist tightly.

“I was waiting for you.” He chuckled before setting her back on the carpeted floor again.

“You…were..?” She questioned, then she noticed a young lady sitting on one of the couches. Kai sent her a look before taking the envelop from her.

“Choi Siwon’s new secretary?” He asked.

“Ani, opp~the director’s busy today, and his secretary called in sick.” Inhye nodded while fixing the strap of her bag.

“Oppa, who is she?” Jangmi eyed Inhye disdainfully.

“Her? My on-call doctor, these days I’ve been feeling a little down.”

Jangmi stood up and walked to Kai and planted her palm on his forehead, Kai managed to pull back.

“So, please leave Jangmi-ya, it’s my consultation time. I’ll ask driver Kim to send you home.”

 

“This is your office? I didn’t know. Oppa didn’t tell me anything.”

“If he told you it were, would you have come?” Kai mused before sitting across her.

“That girl…she likes you.”

Kai shook his head and rubbed his temples again, Inhye sighed and stood up.

“You do look~” She walked towards him and pressed her palm on his forehead.

“You’re running a temperature, you know.”

Kai just shrugged, then he noticed the jacket wrapped around her waist.

“Is this yours?” He asked, before Inhye could reply, he untied the sleeves and pulled it from her waist.

Kai noticed that it was a man’s.

“Daehyun’s..we met earlier.” She plopped beside him.

“You need to rest, Kai. I don’t think the meds I gave you are working.”

Kai just eyed the jacket quietly.

“I thought…you didn’t want to see him.”

She bit her lip.

“I don’t know, Kai, …I don’t know.”

Kai glanced at her briefly as he realized the one thing that has been hanging on his head for weeks.

 

 

I like her.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++