Chapter 63 – 'beau palais' 2

Youngest of Pieces: Five Years in History (9)

“We’re ready,” Maria eagerly shakes her hands in front of the making of camera, laughing excitedly. She is wearing a short blonde wig and is wearing a flawless silver dress, which in fact is a corset bodysuit hidden under silver beaded fringe; a dress made of fringe. It is absolutely gorgeous and the ladies are wearing their own unique one; it is special made for each member, body-fitting and perfect. Maria is shining in front of the camera. “Our choreographers just had the most amazing speech; they told us to do this without doubting that we have all the power in the world, and then our producer said that the lightning that has been going on today is a good sign for success.” She keeps smiling. “We’re about to do the dancing scene on stage for [POWER UP]. It will be fun.”

“The weather is better now?” the camera-man asks her and Maria, who was about to step away since she said what she wanted, steps back up to him.

“Yes. It is still raining but the thunder has passed above us and we can resume filming,” Maria answers and she is nodding at him, waiting to know if he will ask her something more. Hannah and Julia are slowly walking behind her among round tables, about to go somewhere else when spotting the camera and coming up to them. They are in their matching silver clothes, edgy make-up; Hannah’s hair wavy and Julia’s coolly styled with a few locks standing up lightly, Hannah the only one wearing a gray cardigan like she has done a lot these days to hide her lack of clothing.

“Have you seen the surrounding?” Julia asks the camera-man when they come up to Maria. Maria is fast to take a step back to stand with them, her arm put around Hannah’s waist. Julia points around in the hall; “we have a bar over there, tables here in the middle and behind us the sparkling stage we will dance on.”

“It’s where we put everyone in a daze,” Maria whispers as if it is a secret. “They actually had to build all of this behind us because they just had the bar and tables here. The stage is just for us.”

The stage is big, but it seems smaller because of the platforms leading up to the back elegantly like a stair (eight levels), shaped a little like a C to make it bigger at the centre front, and on the sides going in like a V there are letters about three meters high reading out from the front left to the back to the right front P-O-W-E-R-U-P; the letters are able to turn on and off in sparkling lights. Each platform going up is about a meter long, making it easier to dance on as they will have 5 Pieces and the dancers on all levels on the stage and the whole scene is just going even further than what they had for [I Want a Man] three months ago. It has taken some time to put it all up and prepare it, but they have had days to do it.

Preparing to start the filming, the girls are checking their hair and make-up with help of their stylists. Clothing stylists Yong Hyun and Chan Hyo are following around the ladies and female dancers to make sure the clothes are as they should, all focus on the details as Miyu Fukuda has taught them. Miyu Fukuda met Yong Hyun when he was in Japan last year, both being stylists and in love with all kind of fashion, they stayed in touch to maybe work together in the future. As soon as Yong Hyun started to work on the clothes for [Girls Power] at the end of last year, figuring out what kind of concept 5 Pieces would get, he contacted Miyu to get help as it seemed as her style and they have together made the clothes for 5 Pieces’ comeback, to 5 Pieces and their dancers, and she has now signed a contract with SM Entertainment to be an extra stylist for 5 Pieces during this album promotions. Hand-made ones like 5 Pieces’ silver beaded fringe corset bodysuit are a work of art for fashionistas and stylists, and the stylists are for that making sure it is sitting as it should.

Miyu is Japanese, but she has collaborated a lot with Koreans in the past and speaks the language pretty well, so the communication isn’t too hard when she now is explaining to Carolina on how not to twist her body. Carolina doesn’t understand a thing anyway, so Yong Hyun simply tells her to not twist her body too much. Carolina doesn’t say that she still doesn’t understand; she will dance and squat and bend for [POWER UP] – how can she not twist?

With them getting ready on the stage, the American choreographers are heard talking and directing. They have been working here too while the stage was prepared, talking to the co-director to go through on how to film and what to film. The choreography is changed a little, as they for the music video will be using the whole hall with the bar, tables and stage, while for this scene they will just film the stage. The choreographers go through the tiny changes, just for everyone to know where to be. Hannah is one of them being told where to be, as for her first part she isn’t on the stage but for this filming now she is there. Everyone is constantly working hard here at the palace, secretly taking breaks to enjoy the place a little more.

Once the filming starts, it feels like the whole day just passes by. Hours they are filming, taking it from different angles, from close and from afar, with different spotlights and effects, they need to re-do things because of mistakes, lamps pop from getting too hot, make-up and hair has to be fixed to make it look good – it takes a lot of time and because they had to wait half the day for the thunder to calm down the filming ends much, much later than expected. But it will be worth it. Everyone is working so hard, all the girls are sweating so they need to calm down in between the parts and they keep cheering everyone on. It feels like the whole day has been night because of the dark outside so everyone is expecting the day to come while night in fact comes, it doesn’t stop everyone on stage to give their all in he movement to make the song [POWER UP] as empowering and energetic as possible.

When the filming on the stage eventually is done it feels like the whole music video should be done, which it isn’t, but everyone is still cheering and telling each other they have worked hard. 5 Pieces take pictures on the stage too before they will take away the letters and change the setting; first a picture with all of their dancers and with their choreographers too, and then just the five of them looking dazzling smiling to the camera. For the making of this album they have a photographer taking pictures of the ladies during the filming of their music videos, so that is what they take pictures for now; the photographer has taken pictures when they have been dancing too. However they look at this, the progress and setting and crew and how it looks on camera, 5 Pieces is determined that they can make an impressive comeback this time. All doubts and worries that they maybe won’t fit the concept are like gone with the thunder. Or their worries will return once they leave the palace – it could be the ghosts messing with their minds that everything is turning out great.

All the male dancers are wearing black clothes; pants, vest and hat. They are supposed to be bartenders, and during the performance they will jump over the bar disk to join in. But before filming that, the table setting is getting prepared. They have guests filling the seats for the filming, some female dancers and 5 Pieces are going through what to do too. Hannah and two female dancers will step up on the tables. This is what Hannah has been setting her mind on that she does not like.

She can look at the dancers going through it with the choreographer Janetta; a male dancer will be in the shadows on the floor being a helping hand up, and Janetta takes Hannah’s part to show her to stand steadily on the round table and do her part as they have been practicing. In the practice-room back in Korea, they have used a long table, as it was supposed to be the bar Hannah would appear on, but there have been changes that instead of having just dancers appear on the tables, Hannah will also be there, in the main focus. Hannah gets to try it; one foot on a chair, the choreographer holding her hand and counting the steps in the song for her to walk up and move her hips and do what she has practiced. They practice it two times, the choreographers saying that it is just to go for it and that there are a lot of people there to catch her if she falls.

All the worry is for nothing. With the female dancers also on the tables, Hannah does surprisingly well; she surprises herself while everyone else seems like they expected her to do well. But she can’t stop shaking either way. Maybe the adrenaline from the fact that 5 Pieces is doing something that not even they believed themselves that they ever would do, maybe because things are going too well even if it is raining and half the day they were just fooling around waiting to start filming, or maybe she is just in need to eat.

“I’m hungry,” Hannah repeats when hearing Maria say it to the making of camera-man who surely is busy following them around the whole time.

There is a short break before they will continue filming, but not long enough for the ladies to find something to eat.

5 Pieces film half the night before getting some hours of rest – which isn’t much rest for all of them because they get ready to continue the filming once the setting for the stage is done. The rain is like a waterfall outside, several of times during the night the lights blink so they have to shut everything off for a while to not create a power outtake. The staff prepares the stage, as it is not done being used; all scenes left to do for the next three-four days will be doing there. 5 Pieces will spend the day doing their teaser videos, which probably will be used more than just a tease for the comeback – maybe to be used in a special DVD or for their concert. First up is Julia. She is ready at five in the morning, ready to film her part with the band that has been set up at one end of the stage (on screen it will look like they have their own stage), all kind of instruments suited for a live band playing and Julia will be performing a jazz version of [I’m Over You]; teasing and sweet with a long hair wig, lying on the piano and walking around teasing the band a little before sitting down gracefully in a sofa on the stage.

Hannah is there watching the whole thing. It is after all a song she wrote that they perform. And the band is even their band that they have been working with in Korea preparing for this comeback. The whole crew is at the palace; dancers, choreographers (both Korean and American), stylists, managers, band… Everyone they will work with on the promotions of the album are there, and it is such a blast because to have everyone stuck inside a palace (no matter how big the palace is) makes them get closer to each other. The ladies are close to their dancers already, but this is definitely a way to get closer to everyone. With Hannah sitting and watching instead of getting some rest, she is sitting with some of the dancers also sticking around to look, commenting and cheering Julia and the band on, calling out that they look gorgeous – even making sure they call out in synch to make everyone on set laugh.

Too soon Hannah is called to do her make-up, leaving her friends to go join other friends in the dressing-room. She isn’t surprised to see two of the stylists asleep in the room when she comes in there, getting ready with her hair and make-up meanwhile with the stylists that are awake.

Hannah gets ready in the same make-up, hair and clothes she wore when she was “fighting” with her co-star for the drama version – leather outfit. It looks great but she doesn’t like it. The other members are sleeping when Hannah is done, and Hannah waits for forty minutes after getting dressed to do her filming. Her solo teaser is some power soul R&B version of [I Want a Man]; filled with strong adlibs and the lyrics a little changed; a mix of Hannah and Hye Kyung’s ideas. It matches well to the outfit, her stage darker and more charismatic than Julia’s, more of the bad girl side. Hannah likes it, well, she isn’t fond of then leather outfit but the actual bad girl concept with the power voice fits her.

While Hannah is making her video, the making of camera-man shows up after getting some sleep. He had gotten the wrong information and missed Julia’s filming, and Hannah smiles when seeing him come over to her with his camera. She is standing by the stage, getting help by Mi Young with the make-up before they will film another time.

“Good morning,” Hannah greets the camera, “Welcome to our fourth day filming for 5 Pieces fourth album comeback, the day of rain and view of 5 Pieces’ different colours.”

“What are you saying?” Mi Young sounds confused.

“I don’t know,” Hannah smiles widely, cutely giving a shrug at the shoulder to the camera – yes, in leather she can still look cute, surprisingly.

“Are we ready?” the producer asks them from a distance.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

It’s in the middle of the day. The third member of 5 Pieces to do the solo teaser filming is waiting for her turn while Hannah has just gotten to wash up and lie down in bed to get some rest, closing her eyes for a bit. From now they will take turns; filming their teaser or posing for the jacket shoot. Hannah will get an hour of rest before she has to go get ready for her jacket shooting.

Hair rolled up, a simple black dress and light make-up, looking as if she is getting ready for a night out. 5 Pieces’ album will have two parts to the pictures; the first part is getting ready; with Emelia putting on make-up in the backstage room where they were the first day filming some backstage scenes for the drama version, with Carolina sitting in the limousine, Julia will be standing out in just a clear photo shoot of her profile and Maria will be getting dressed (ily pulling up her stocking) and the second part will be of them wearing dresses and posing in the big hall where crystal chandeliers are beautiful, the space open and free, the windows as big as in the church.

For Hannah’s first part, she gets to sit on a chair among clothes. She sits at the end of the chair and leans against the backrest, being photographed from the front when she holds down the dress over her legs, her face-expression too innocent according to the female photographer so she makes a little harder by changing her eyes, the photographer praising her right away and the photographer moves to the side; Hannah lifts up a leg over the other, wearing black high heels and stockings, relaxed in the chair. Her favourite picture is though when she has a hairpin in the mouth, hands up in her hair and sitting straight when the photographer asks her to take down one hand when turning around to look at her and the picture turns out really great. It’s always special to work with a female photographer.

For the second part, the ladies get to pose together by the enormous window, wearing long gowns. The staff is standing outside with raincoats to have lamps shining brightly in on the camera so it looks like the sun is bright outside. It is clever. And it looks gorgeous.

All of their favourite parts are though for the big shooting when all of their female dancers have also gotten dressed in dresses and are standing with them in the hall and they take photos of definite Girls Power. Dresses, girls, a lot of girls, edgy, it is this enormous hall with crystal chandeliers and golden walls and it is just the most perfect concept ever. But because they poses so seriously and edgy the whole time, they can’t help but to take some silly ones; what they don’t know is that the silly picture with all the female dancers and 5 Pieces will be part of the album, just to show that they are women – the aren’t just edgy, they are silly, cute, charming, y, strong – a big mix put in one. One serious and one silly picture of glamorous women in an enormous hall

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

With knee-long boots and y black clothes for [Girls Power], Hannah had dyed her hair pastel blue for the three last days when they were filming the second music video. But on the eight day filming in total, they wrap everything up and with such a production, everyone is cheering loudly once the producer says that the last scene is now done.

Male dancers give a shout from the bar where they appear to have prepared champagne for everyone to celebrate the finish before everyone will pack up and go home. Women and men, Koreans and French (and five Swedish girls), young and old, every one of the staff and crew gathers to celebrate these days together, revealing their big hopes on this production. Maria holds a speech too, as if the leader always needs to say a speech when holding a drink in her hand; she thanks everyone for endlessly working hard for over a week, for facing a storm (rain and thunder), for facing ghost stories (that first day of thunder was just the beginning) and thanking everyone for making these great videos and also thanking for getting to know all of them. She has a long speech in Korean to the staff, and then just says it is a beautiful place in French – just because Carolina has kept repeating it for several of days. They have done two music videos (one of them a drama version), they have done at least six or seven teaser videos on the side, they have done a commercial shoot, and then a photo book to the album as they on the first day filming [Girls Power] took the chance to step out as it was not raining and they got beautiful pictures and they have really done a lot in these eight days.

After changing clothes, 5 Pieces and all of their dancers grab hands and runs out in the rain. They are being filmed and photographed when running out in the rain, so happy over their stay in France and that they have actually pulled off – they have come this far with such a doubtful concept – and when coming out in the rain they are screaming and running around, hugging and being crazy all together. The band runs out with them too, cheering as a big crazy crowd out in the rain. Some of the male dancers fall on their butts in the wet grass, making them laugh even more. The dancers have been with them for a long time, and with the new family of the band, everyone hold hands and stands in a really big circle, talking among themselves out in the rain before shouting out loudly together with all their might to be heard to those standing by the palace;

“GIRLS POWER, FIGHTING!”

Some starts to run around and scream and have a blast out in the rain while others run back inside. Hannah is somewhere in between, mostly laughing at everyone and hugging one of the female dancers before holding hands with Carolina heading back inside.

They have to go change clothes again. But no one minds. They are still laughing about it an hour later when hugging and saying “see you in Seoul”, because now, 5 Pieces will spend the next two days having a tourist life in Paris. Their first goal when coming to Paris is to change their hair colours to not get caught in the act of preparing their music video. They have had to remind each other so much this week; do not post anything revealing on Instagram, twitter or your blog. Maria uploaded a picture with Edmond (the French co-star) just the other day, a picture the two of them had taken after the commercial filming when he was going to leave, and it was okay because Maria’s hair hasn’t changed much. She is still blonde and has the length, and she wasn’t wearing a wig so it wasn’t anything else than a commercial filming in the eyes of their fans. Hannah has wanted to post a lot of pictures though, of her pastel hair in pink and of her pastel hair in blue – she wants to show it!

Hannah and Julia are like kids in the back of the van heading to Paris. They are singing and laughing while the others are trying to sleep, they take silly pictures and jokes about missing their hair now when they have to dye it back to blonde. But they are all excited to enjoy Paris together.

Last time 5 Pieces was in Paris they were there to work (they met One Direction…), and the time before that they were there for their BLACK & WHITE tour; they were tourists for a day at that time too, but Hannah wasn’t with them because she was doing her book promotions elsewhere. So this is their Paris vacation; two days of 5 Pieces looking at all the things Paris has to offer. The DVD for the tour is actually released today too, which Emelia reminds the ladies off when she isn’t getting her rest and is instead uploading pictures on Instagram – the DVD was filmed at their Paris concert, so Emelia has of course pictures to promote it on Instagram.

“Did you know that fans are freaking out because they didn’t know we are in France?” Emelia asks Hannah when sitting down next to her at the hair saloon; she has walked around saying the same thing to all of the ladies, half of them knowing it already. Emelia continues when Hannah gives her a glance. “Maria uploaded that picture with Edmond on Instagram, you know, and fans knew that we were in France but were like begging to know what she was doing in France because people thought we were in Korea or something… So I will use my tourist photographing tomorrow to share with our fans that 5 Pieces is having a blast in Paris like real tourists.”

Manager Lee is sitting behind them, shaking his head when hearing for the fourth time Emelia go around saying the same thing. He is sitting in the middle of the saloon, hearing all of the conversations. It is a perfect saloon for the managers to keep an eye on the ladies; Maria is sleeping next to him.

“Emelia, not to ruin your dreaming, but 5 Pieces are no real tourists,” he tells her, both Hannah and Emelia giving him a questioning stare – Hannah through the mirror and Emelia just turning around. “You are 5 Pieces – do you even remember how it was last time you were here?”

“Yeah, but last time we were here for a promotion. And One Direction was at the same hotel,” Emelia says.

“Ah, I mean before that,” he remembers with a finger pointing out in nowhere as if pointing back in time, “For the tour.”

“Well, then we were here for the tour, duh,” Emelia rolls her eyes, making Hannah chuckle because she sounds like Maria when saying ‘duh’. Their manager just shrugs his shoulders, shaking his head. Hannah turns her focus back on her hair, waiting to get blonde. Emelia entertains her by showing the recent pictures taken on her system camera; the girls were foolish wearing the black y clothes for [Girls Power], posing differently for the camera that their stylist was holding for all ladies to get in the shot, they really had a lot of fun with everything these days.

Back to blonde, 5 Pieces head to the hotel to get some sleep. This time they sleep in two rooms, the big bed in Hannah’s hotel room is shared with three; Emelia and Maria are also in that room. They go to bed right away because it is around midnight; Emelia sleeps in the middle, not bothered at all because it is a very big bed – it would be worse if Hannah and Maria were next to each other as they would just start to giggle.

Closing their eyes, they sleep heavenly after not getting much sleep for the past week. Filming for the music video they have just rested for the most three hour one day, others just slumbering a little here and there. Not that they mind, of course; the music videos will hopefully become great.

Hours passes by in an instant, and without knowing how, Hannah is woken up by movements in the bed. Glancing up, eyes barely open, she can see the room is bright from a sun outside the window and Emelia is getting out of bed. Hannah turns her head around with a tired groan, seeing Maria still asleep and then turns her head back around to grab her cell phone on the bedside table to see what time it is.

Slowly, super slowly, as fast as a snail, Hannah counts the hours of sleep and really wants to fly up from bed but her body is really tired so she just groans when putting the cell phone back and hides her face in the pillow. She has been sleeping for ten hours; her body is paralyzed from how nice she has been sleeping. She has no idea of when she slept for that long last time. What surprises her more is that Emelia seems to have just woken up too. Hannah doesn’t move an inch when hearing Emelia leave the bathroom and walk around; looking out the window, going to get dressed, sitting down on a chair to do something on her cell phone and after a while she comes back to lie down in bed, resting her head on Hannah’s .

“The others are sleeping,” Emelia mentions, seeming very awake by now while Hannah has no interest to even open her eyes. “The sky is clear too, which means it will be a beautiful day. And everyone is sleeping it away. We won’t have time to do anything if everyone is sleeping.”

“Mm…” Hannah forces out a sound to answer her.

“Are you interested in getting something to eat? I’m hungry.”

By the brief mention of eating, Hannah’s stomach growls – she is also hungry. Emelia smiles and gets up, patting Hannah happily on the .

“Get up, get up, get up,” she happily tells Hannah when bouncing away to write a note.

Hannah gets up, she uses the bathroom to wash up and gets dressed in a v-neck colour block oversized knit top in white/navy blue to a pair of black distressed skinny jeans. While Hannah gets ready Emelia packs a simple bag as they are going down the street to a restaurant and she writes a note that they will leave to their managers, and on the way there they meet their stylists, dressed and awake and ready to leave too. The stylists are taking the chance to explore Paris’ fashion, but agrees on coming along on brunch with the two ladies first.

The weather is great. The sun is shining and it isn’t chilly, but Hannah is still glad over her chosen outfit – the knit top is cosy to wear in this weather. Their biggest conversation is the weather; it has been raining every day they have been filming beside from two days, and as soon as the music video filming ends the sun is shining brightly. It’s a fun story, they keep repeating how fun it is, and also talk about what they are planning on doing today. Hannah only plans on eating for now. She can almost feel the drool at the corner of when they walk down the street and the food smell comes from all corners. They don’t have to think of what to eat now, because all they need to do is to eat and eat while preparing for the actual comeback. They walk in on a fancy restaurant, two floors big with some privacy that they all like. It is a buffet, and they have a delicious brunch buffet waiting for them. Hannah puts a lot on her plate; sandwiches, egg, a lot of fruits and so on. All of them seem to take a lot of food, but Hannah is pretty sure they won’t finish it all. Either way, they take their food and goes to sit by themselves.

The restaurant is in dark colours, very soft and calm and quiet. There are sofas around there too, just standing by the wall as if people won’t be sitting by the tables to eat. Hannah doesn’t say much, she is still not awake to talk, and no one seems to notice it as they are too busy talking and she do follow the conversations while eating, nodding along.

By the time they are almost done eating, the conversation is about Emelia’s body being sore.

“What do you expect after dancing like that for over a week?” Yong Hyun tells her in a light voice, laughing after saying it and Hannah laughs too because Emelia suddenly holds up her hands in the air. A child does the same when wanting to be lifted up, but Emelia’s face is just blank.

“This hurts to do,” she comments. “My shoulders are sore.”

She takes down her arms and starts moving around as if seeing where she is sore. Hannah is about to do the same but stops her self when Emelia suddenly stands up, looking like she is stretching and the people around their table are laughing at her. Emelia looks blankly at Hannah, asking if it doesn’t hurt for her. Hannah shrugs her shoulder, but even that feels to do so she stands up to join Emelia.

“Ya, are you two starting a yoga class or something?” Yong Hyun can’t stop laughing at them. He claps his hands together once before getting up to reach for Emelia’s bag, taking up her system camera. “I want a picture of this.”

“Wait, wait,” Emelia stops him and walks over to the sofa, lying down on her stomach to then start twisting her hip when turning her upper-body as much as possible. Everyone is laughing at her; Yong Hyun tries to get a good picture of it while laughing. Hannah is laughing too before sitting down in the sofa and starts stretching her legs and arms too.

“You two are so crazy!” Chan Hyo claps her hands at them, laughing.

Seeing how the pictures turn out, it doesn’t look like they are stretching at all and it makes them laugh as it looks like they are posing or actually being comfortable in the sofa like that. Emelia shows one picture clearly to Hannah. “This one is ending up on Instagram.” Emelia loves Instagram now when she has gotten her own.

They finish eating without a hurry before they part ways outside the restaurant for the stylists to head off on their fashion mission fun and the two ladies are going back to the hotel to figure out if the others are going to wake up sometime soon. Emelia is in a good mood, it is too clear for Hannah who has been fighting with her a lot the past month. They both are in a good mood; Emelia puts an arm around Hannah’s shoulder when walking together on the street, enjoying Paris like a couple, and they are talking about how silly their worries were about this comeback concept, but reminding each other that they just have gotten used to it while their fans are still clueless about it and they laugh when bringing up the fun things about the filming.

“But that place was really something,” Emelia shakes her head with a huge smile by the memory of the palace. “Imagine people actually living there in the old times – that massive palace.”

“Didn’t Maria say it is a place worthy of our presence?” Hannah giggles and they laugh together at it. The key to Hannah’s outfit is her sunglasses; the black ones she got from a fan in Japan during their promotions recently. They are really good. Emelia is wearing cool boyfriend jeans, a white t-shirt, black cardigan and sunglasses. None of them have make-up, and Emelia hasn’t showered so her hair isn’t in the best condition; she wears the cardigan’s hood to hide it, her hair still looks great, suited her look.

“I think all of us must come out crazy in the making of for that. Half of the time I’m not sure if we were arrogant or just super happy,” Emelia chuckles.

“Oh-” they hear a stranger say so suddenly that they both looks up at the person they passes, Hannah closing her eyes to not say anything in response to what Emelia had said, and to their surprise the person is pointing at them, being on the phone with someone but holding the cell phone away. “You are 5 Pieces.”

How would she know? Hannah just stares up the other side at Emelia looking over at the girl.

“How could you probably guess that?” Emelia asks in English to the girl. They are both super shocked because … they have no make-up, they are wearing sunglasses, and they are in Paris! It happens in Japan, in Korea it is not even a question people just starts to follow them, but in Paris…

“Oh my god!” the girl suddenly gets all hyper, shaking her free hand towards them. “I was just checking if you were at the hotel but they said you weren’t there so I was going to check at the other hotel…”

Hannah leans away a little. Emelia gets it too; fans keep in touch over the phone while looking around at the hotels to figure out where 5 Pieces is, now when knowing they are in the city. Emelia thanks the girl for recognizing them before apologizing and starts to leave, her arm around Hannah pulls the youngest along. Meters behind them, the girl is following them, talking hyper in French on the phone, even squealing a bit. The rest of the walk back to the hotel feels too long, all Hannah can focus on is the girl behind them. She doesn’t walk up to them, but once she stops talking on the phone she gets very suspicious (Emelia thinks the girl is taking pictures of their backs, which isn’t anything really).

“What are you doing in Paris?” the girl asks in English behind them. “You two look like you are on a date…”

“We went on a brunch date,” Emelia answers and the two ladies smiles when hearing a squeal of happiness behind them.

They reach the hotel and hurry inside; happy the girl doesn’t go with them. Emelia keeps her arm around Hannah until they reach the elevator, and when getting inside they both give each other a glance and starts laughing. “How can they do that?!” Hannah bursts out with a smile.

“Fans are real detectives,” Emelia laughs, hitting her head. “Oh , this is really weird.”

Hannah nods in agreement. Fans are actually out looking for them. Instead of going to their own room they head straight to their managers’, knocking on it and when the door is opened they are fast inside to tell them that fans have found them based on detective instincts. Hannah thinks it is Emelia’s Instagram update that alerted them, but Emelia just gives her a glare.

“I haven’t even uploaded it yet.”

Maria’s picture with the French co-star Edmond started it all, and then when waking up, Julia shared a picture of herself with the Paris view from her window saying ‘good morning’ – fans started to answer right away that it is a very late morning and commenting ‘it isn’t morning in Paris xD’. Manager Lee is just saying he told them this would happen; he knew that as soon as fans knew 5 Pieces is there, they will try to find them and stalk them because that is pretty much what fans love to do when their idols are somewhere around. He is surprised the ladies still don’t realise that. For Hannah, Paris is too far away to have a person on the street say, ‘oh, it’s 5 Pieces’. It’s just not possible in her head, even if it just happened.

“With the bodyguards and us around, you can still go sightseeing,” Manager Kim tells them.

“Yeah, you thought we weren’t going to do it?” Emelia rolls her eyes and tells Hannah they are going to the other ladies.

Maria is so upset she was not brought along on brunch – she has eaten breakfast with the others at the hotel. She throws a tantrum about being left alone in their room and waking up to nothing (they did leave a note for her too), and she couldn’t care any less about the fan because she is more aware of that than the two girls who were too busy enjoying brunch – Maria is really upset over that for fifteen minutes. The girls’ biggest issue is that their managers suggests them to wear make-up when going out, while the ladies strongly says against that; why? Because they have spent eight days in full strong make-up and their faces need a break from it. A free day is a free day from high heels and make-up, so the ladies just hide themselves under sunglasses instead.

But the shock is when coming out, seriously; fans have gathered within an hour outside the hotel – not a hundred of fans, more like ten or twenty of them. It is insane how loud they get when spotting 5 Pieces coming out the doors. Emelia loves it though; she goes on with the ‘date look’ with Hannah by linking arms when going out, having the help of bodyguards and managers to come through the crowd of pushing fans to the van waiting for them.

As soon as they get in and the doors are closed, Julia gives out a sigh.

“That was that tourist experience.” Going a few meters from the hotel to the car.

“Don’t say that!” Maria bursts out. “I got my tourist look today, okay? I will be a tourist, even if fans follow us around.”

And they do. the ladies take pictures everywhere they go, walking the street with a crowd following them everywhere and they have a great time not only being tourists but also from time to time talking to fans that aren’t pushing a camera in their face or trying to get too close. There is one moment when the ladies are by a fountain just enjoying the evening sun and the fans are keeping a great distance from them, letting the ladies chat and rest from their hours outside as tourists. It is the best time of the day actually; sitting by the fountain with the ladies, aware of the fans but the fans are respectfully on a distance to give them privacy. It is about fifteen or twenty fans over there, and then there are other tourists and people at the place spotting the ladies and just taking pictures and looking while doing their own thing.

Hannah is sitting on the edge of the fountain, smiling behind her sunglasses at Carolina who is explaining the feeling she got when they did [POWER UP] a week ago, all of the ladies just smiling at her because they all felt the same thing and it is maybe the fourteenth time they talk about it. the moment Carolina moves her head to the side and gives out this “grove” move with her shoulder, they starts laughing right away. Carolina loves music, and she says she felt the music all the way in to her bones when they were doing the dance for [POWER UP]. While teasing Carolina for seconds, they can hear a cheer from fans over at the distance that makes them laugh a little more.

“Oh my, so embarrassing,” Carolina says and hides her face, standing with her back towards the fans and the girls laughs even more because she does not seem embarrassed at all.

“You’re just acting cute!” Maria blames her and hits Carolina on the back.

“I am not,” Carolina cutely says and takes these small, fast steps forward until she embraces Hannah to hide herself, almost making Hannah fall backwards from laughing and even their managers are laughing at them.

Though the ladies say they want to go over to their fans and take a picture with them, their fans says ‘no’ right away. Because they aren’t here to work, they aren’t allowed to do so. Instead they move on to go eat somewhere and continue their tourist visit.

Later when they have come back to the hotel, the ladies get together in one room to watch a movie but ends up looking up online on what people are saying about them. Emelia had been right about the fan taking pictures of their backs around lunch; ‘Emelia said they were on a brunch date, they looked lovely!’ But it is just the beginning of the day. The ladies are smiling and laughing when showing pictures and shaky videos of themselves taken by the fans, everything uploaded online on YouTube and blogs and whatnot. The ladies have uploaded their own pictures too, as Emelia said they would – though that is about one or two pictures – but it is definitely a lot of things for the fans looking it up.

Hannah finds a blog, a fan account, written in English about stalking 5 Pieces;

The day has been crazy and insane. A bunch of girls stalking 5 Pieces in Paris, who would have known? I didn’t even know they were in Paris until my friend told me after school that it is all over the homepage that 5 Pieces is here and we were like “OMG WE GOT TO SEE!” so we actually went to where people said 5 Pieces was, and omg omg omg omg omg omg they look absolutely flawless! I have seen them before, but never have I really stalked them like this – my friend is more of a stalker than me – but jeez omg I am totally speechless. They were casually dressed, looking like tourists and I heard from some other fans that had stalked them for a while that the girls were talking so much with each other and their voices were beautiful. It was really fun to follow them because they were walking on this street and us fans got really close and I could hear other fans asking them questions and such and all of a sudden Maria stopped and fans were like SHE STOPPED and we all stopped because the bodyguards were pushing us away, and a fan asked if she was okay but Maria was like all chill “I got something in my shoe”. She is like the most flawless person on earth, seriously, she is so tall and skinny and beautiful and she wasn’t wearing any make-up and she was the most colourful person among them. The other ladies just kept walking xD

Hannah stopped too though, she and Emelia stopped by a window to look at some movies and I think they talked to the others about walking in the store (5P are movie crazies, I love it) and I took the chance after Maria walked by them and most fans followed the other members so I could get closer to these two, and I asked what movie they want to see. I think Hannah didn’t expect that question because she answered without thinking “Catching Fire”. I am a huge Hunger Games fan, so I was like I WILL BUY IT FOR YOU! And I did… as soon as they walked away I ran in to get the movie for her, and then ran after them. I was so hyped up to give her the movie, thinking I was going to give something to Hannah that she actually wants and I was wondering if Maria wants to see it too. But the manager saw that I wanted to hand them something, and he blocked me the whole time. I got so mad at him! I told him that it is a gift for Hannah but he just shook his head.

Carolina almost crossed the street in red light. Emelia had super reflexes and grabbed her before she walked out. Emelia kept linking Hannah’s arm too, telling her things. Maria laughed a lot! She would turn around to her members and laugh over something and fans would scream and she was so beautiful. When taking pictures, Hannah tried to hide behind the members, Maria was always taking the biggest space with her unique poses.

I was terrified I wasn’t going to get to give the movie to them, so when they were heading to their van I just went to the bodyguard and told him that Hannah pointed out the movie earlier and that I want 5 Pieces to have it. He took the movie, and before closing the door I saw him handing them the movie. My eyes were huge, because seconds later they rolled down the window and they were like taking out their thumbs and waving the movie. My heart has melted~

We went with the other fans to follow them in the van, and they went around some more before they started to walk the street, heading to a fountain that is popular among tourists to take pictures of. Walking there, I was so lucky to get next to Maria and I was like “I gave you the movie, did you get the movie?” and she was looking like a question-mark at the ground, so I said Catching Fire and she understood what I said. “I don’t like those movies,” Maria told me! She doesn’t like the movie I bought them! But she said “the members are crazy about it though” and she actually kicked Hannah on the for her to turn around (I have witnessed Maria’s -kicking LIVE!) and she said in English (the ladies spoke in English to each other xD) that I was the one getting the movie and Hannah smiles. They are all so beautiful. I got no idea of how casual and beautiful five people can look without even trying.

I asked Maria while I got the chance to ask what they are doing in Paris, and she was smiling (MARIA SMILED AT ME OMG I CAN DIE IN A DAZE – there is honestly nothing better than having Maria smile at you) when telling me they are on a short vacation. I didn’t get to say anything else because her manager was like giving me the cold stare as if not wanting me to talk any more, and I think he told Maria that later when they walked away from us because we could hear her laugh echo and she pushed him away from her to go walk with one of the Korean women walking with them (I’m not sure, it could be a stylist or a manager… my friend said it is a manager).

At the fountain they were talking so much. Carolina kept moving; she was dancing and making big motions with her hands when talking to the ladies. They for a move she did and Carolina cutely hided in Hannah’s arms. Maria loves to kick people; she kicked Carolina, she kicked the stone, she kicked their manager… I love her.

My favourite was when they left the fountain, and the ladies were walking in a line with their arms around each other and I am so sure Carolina was singing something. They are so cute! They seemed like normal students, just enjoying their day with no care at who sees them.

Oh, later also there was a boy who asked Julia if she could sign his Calvin Klein underwear, and though she didn’t react to it, Emelia was smirking so widely. Their managers kept keeping fans away whenever we asked for an autograph or a picture, but after they had been eating, Maria and Emelia hurried out before the managers and were like “hurry hurry those who wants an autograph” and they were hilarious, sneaking around. A fan asked why they had to hurry and Emelia said they aren’t allowed to write autographs but were thankful that we had given them space during the day.

It made me feel bad. Because we had been like inches away from them most of the time but had kept a distance when they were at the fountain because it was so much open space there. We just thanked them so much. I also found out that they are leaving tomorrow night.

My meeting with 5 Pieces was so perfect. They are so genuine and fun. and this, I know fans around the world would love if they read; we asked them when they are releasing their album because everyone knows I WANT A MAN was just a pre-single since they said so, and 5 Pieces said it is just around the corner. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?

“I think our fans are a little weird…” Hannah ends up saying when getting up from the bed.

“And you say that because they stalked us all the day or why?” Maria chuckles.

“Because they say we looked perfect in casual clothes…”

“This one says differently,” Emelia comments and starts reading right away; “‘I was surprised when seeing how skinny they all are. Hannah used to be very curvy and she had a lot of fat, but now Carolina is bigger than her and because she is the shortest she looked really tiny. Maria is a stick too, do these girls even eat? All of them looked so skinny…’ I guess we should tell our managers we need to eat more.”

“We are eating a lot, it’s just that we work too much,” Julia comments, leaning over Emelia’s knee to see what it says. “We do look skinny though… Maybe I have lost some weight this week…”

“I blame the music video filming,” Hannah says, ignoring Emelia’s stare. “In over a week we have been eating weirdly because of it.”

“Then we should take it back,” Emelia shrugs her shoulder and grabs the phone on the side. “Room service, anyone?”

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 23rd: Kim Kyungho & 5 Pieces Have A Dance Battle Against EXO In ‘좋은 자매 (Good Sister)’ Episode 6

Headline 23rd: ‘좋은 자매 (Good Sister)’ Episode 6 Gives You A Caring View Of Hannah As An Older Sister

Headline 23rd: Fans Congratulate 5 Pieces’ Emelia On Her 2 Year Anniversary Since Japanese Solo Debut

 

Monday, Headline 24th: Emelia Reaches Out Her Tongue To Fans Through Instagram After 2-Year-Anniversary In Japan

 

Headline 25th: Maria Shares Picture With French Male Model During Photo Shoot

 

Headline 26th: Fans Surprised To See On Instagram That 5 Pieces Is In France, No Statement From SM Entertainment

 

Headline 27th: 5 Pieces’ 2nd Live Tour BLACK & WHITE DVD Is Now Out With 3 Discs + Photo Book!

 

Headline 28th: 5 Pieces Share Tourist & Friendly Pictures During Their Paris Trip

 

Headline 29th: 5 Pieces Look Happy Posing In Front Of Notre-Dame In Paris

Headline 29th: Pictures Of Fans Following 5 Pieces In Paris Hits The News In South Korea

 

Headline 30th: ‘좋은 자매 (Good Sister)’ Episode 7, 5 Pieces & Kyung Ho Takes On Tokyo With Fun & Stalking

Headline 30th: Fans Admires Hannah’s Professional Posture Facing Fans In The Latest ‘좋은 자매 (Good Sister)’ Episode

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

X. devonalias