Chapter 23 - MelOn Music Awards

Youngest of Pieces: Five Years in History (9)

MelOn Music Awards 2013 starts off with a red carpet. A female and male host does the introductions of all arriving artists and also does interviews for those that arrive outside the award show in this cold November weather in Seoul, South Korea. Idol artists arrive one after another to attend as well as actors and celebrities who are presenting tonight’s awards. All of the artists arriving at the red carpets arrive in either enormous vans or fancy black cars, and towards the end of the red carpet, the black van pulls up in front of the carpet while the two hosts far at the other side of it keeps talking.

“And who is coming now?” the woman’s voice is heard through the microphone when a black-suit dressed man opens up the slide door and a man in a brown suit opens the passenger-door at the front. The male host gives out an impressed sound when the first lady steps out and the fans are cheering excitedly.

“They have finally arrived,” the male host excitedly announces. “The icons of music and style, those who in 2013 have put the whole world under their daze – It’s none other than 5 Pieces!”

Wearing matching plaid a-line shirtdresses in black/white with a black faux-leather wide belt wrapped around their waists with a bowtie, the five members of 5 Pieces mixes a girly yet charismatic look as they get out of the van one by one. Emelia is wearing a lace-up elastic belt, different from the others that way while Julia wears a pair of black studded wedges instead of the buckled side-zipper tall boots the other members wear, and Hannah wear leggings instead of tights. Each member has her own different thing to the outfit, but they all look stunning when they start to walk together along the red carpet. [Daze] is playing since they opened the doors to the vans, the ladies look from right to left and gives waves to photographers and fans and Carolina steps to the side to shake someone’s hand before hurrying her steps after the others.

Hannah walks in the middle next to Emelia, making sure her feet walk correctly. All of them still have blisters from last week’s high-heel practices because they can’t give their feet a rest. Hannah smiles to the fans on her left before she follows Emelia up to the podium they will pose for the pictures. Maria stands a little too much to the left, and Hannah walks up next to her. The cameras are flashing while the ladies walk up to take their positions and Hannah touches Maria’s arm a little in confusion of where the ladies are walking. Carolina and Emelia have taken their positions and Hannah tries to ask Maria why she is standing on this side.

Once Maria reacts to Hannah standing next to her, she grabs Hannah’s arm to move her to the other side. “It’s the new positions,” the leader tells her and Carolina at the same time seem to remember it as she hurries to get the position where Hannah is standing so Hannah takes a step to the right to now be in the middle with Carolina and Emelia on both sides of her.

With a deep breathe hidden behind her smile, Hannah puts a hand on her hip and looks from one camera to another among all the flashing cameras in front of them, now standing where she should. She can’t hear what the hosts say while they are posing for the pictures; too busy thinking of their positions.

Ever since their manager told them about the new positions they will use, Hannah have kind of pressed those thoughts away, hoping it would be forgotten. They haven’t used it once this past week; not during their 5th anniversary celebration pictures where the ladies automatically took their usual positions to shine up the pictures with enormous smiles, not when posing with their fans on Saturday at the party – not once. Which is why she is a little taken back as she could not remember how they talked about this earlier today; 5 Pieces first appearance with their new positions. Hannah wonders if someone will take notice of that.

The ladies moves further to do the brief interview with the hosts, and they stay in the same positions while the interview starts off. Hannah somehow feel very happy over her new position even if she isn’t all that comfortable standing in the middle; standing here means when the male hosts asks a question from their left side, he reaches the microphone to the closest member, who today is Maria.

“5 Pieces has come together like this for the first time in a while after doing solo promotions. How are you feeling?” reaches the microphone to Maria standing closest to him.

“We are very excited to attend MelOn Music Awards, it is a great award show so of course all five members had to come together,” Maria answers without holding on to the microphone. He nods and holds the microphone under his own mouth to ask another question to them. Hannah smiles while looking out over the cold people in front of them, the fans are still cheering.

“Last week you celebrated your 5th year anniversary.” He only mentions it for the fans to scream out loudly and Carolina waves her hand happily for the reaction. The female host laughs over the loud fans and the male host is quiet for a few seconds for it to calm down. “I heard you had some big celebration, first with your friends and then with your fans.”

It’s the female host who reaches out her microphone, to Emelia this time. The rapper takes the microphone in her hand to answer; “We gathered the staff that have worked the most with us for the past five years to invite them on a dinner, and then we had a contest where 200 fans where chosen to join the party with us. It was a lot of fun and I think we made some great memories there.”

“Oooh, that does sound fun,” the female host comments with a big formal smile and Emelia just coolly nods in agreement. “You all have dressed up prettily for today’s MelOn Music Awards, and we hope to see a fabulous performance from 5 Pieces tonight. Thank you.”

They say their thanks for the interview and head inside. Not until they go inside Hannah starts laughing as she hadn’t realised how cold she was out there. It’s not much of a difference indoors though, so the ladies gets to warm up a little before they join other artists to sit by the stage, in the spotlight to watch the award show. When 5 Pieces make their appearance to where B2ST, EXO and others are, everyone stands up from their seats to greet them. Hannah realises they are the seniors there, and she holds on to Carolina’s hand when they move to take their seats in the back. Fans in the audience are all focused to look where the artists are sitting, screaming and being very loud. Hannah waves awkwardly to the fans, and when they scream even more at that she just takes her seat between Carolina and Julia, and looks the other way to see who are sitting around them.

Sitting right in front of Hannah is Kris and Xiumin from EXO and Luhan sitting next to Xiumin turns around to talk to Julia. Hannah can’t understand what they say because they speak in Chinese, but Carolina on her other side starts talking about blisters and high heels, complaining about the shoes they are wearing. Hannah just nods quietly in agreement; none of them seem to care that the show has started. 5 Pieces seem to have arrived late, just because they went backstage to fix make-up and get a little warm first.

The seats next to Julia are empty, and Hannah knows who haven’t arrived yet. SHINee came after 5 Pieces on the red carpet, but they haven’t come in yet. Twenty minutes in on the award show (B2ST and Dynamic Duo have gotten an award, and the rookies) when SISTAR are performing, SHINee makes their quiet entrance to sit in the back with 5 Pieces. Hannah just reached out her hand to wave at them briefly before focusing on the performance. SISTAR are wearing black skirts, and each time they take a turn or twirl, she spots their white outfits underneath. First she thought it was a safety skirt underneath, but all of a sudden SISTAR have undressed to white outfits…

“Aren’t you cold?” Key tries to get Hannah’s attention and she looks at them in confusion, seeing that Jonghyun is leaning forward, trying to talk to her too. It’s Jonghyun who repeats the question again even if Julia has answered the two first time they asked, and Hannah shakes her head. Key and Julia have started to talk about Julia’s legs; the thin tights she wears and if they aren’t cold, while Jonghyun stretches his hand out for Hannah and with Julia, Key and Taemin in between, Hannah leans over Julia’s knees for him to touch her hand.

“You’re not cold?” he sounds surprised when touching her warm hand.

“My hands, never,” Hannah answers and shakes her head, smiling at him. “You’re cold.”

He smiles that charming smile of his. “My hands, often,” he imitates her poor Korean. Key laughs a little too loudly at Jonghyun’s voice and it makes several of others in front of them turn around in question of what is going on and Maria sitting furthest away from SHINee has to pass over the question through her members what is going on.

They haven’t even been sitting there for half an hour when Hannah’s is itching. And within an hour sitting there, her back starts hurting. She can’t sit still; starting to stretch her back and unknowingly annoys Julia who sees every time Hannah moves. Hannah is so bad at sitting still. Ever since the car-accident a long time ago her back hurts if she sits for too long; lately she has been able to sit down for some time, but apparently her back is tense whenever there are music award shows.

The next person to present an award is Hong Suk Chun; actor, broadcaster, owns a restaurant and he is mostly known for openly being gay. Hannah applauses when he makes his appearance in white suit and black pants. He is always so cheerful and fun, talking loudly and clearly when presenting TOP 10. Hannah laughs when he has read the next winner and his voice sounds strained as if he is using a loud voice but he isn’t using a high voice it’s just really funny, Julia and Carolina are both laughing too.

“Last year I acted as the terrific side-kick in a drama with one of the members here,” he says in his strained loud voice and the audience cheers as they all seem to know who it is. Hannah smiles widely too; he acted in Midnight Dream with her. “The extraordinary and beautiful friends of mine… Winner of MelOn Music Awards 2013, TOP 10 is 5 Pieces, congratulations!”

Hannah stands up with her members, bowing her way past the other artists and hurrying her step out on the stage, waving to the fans on the sides and laughing when reaching Hong Suk Chun who bows one time, then another time, and when Maria reaches him first he bows even deeper. He gives her the award, congratulating her and while Maria starts talking in the microphone she got earlier, Hannah turns behind them where Hong Suk Chun pats her on the arm.

“Congratulations, little blondie,” he tells her and Hannah laughs when he gives her a quick hug. “I need a picture with you all later, deal?”

“Deal,” she agrees and shakes his hand with a bright smile, bowing when he walks to the side and Hannah turns back to the front with a huge smile. Carolina has ended up to being the one saying the thanks, and it is quick and deep before the girls bow together. Hong Suk Chun walks off the stage with them, congratulating the girls one more time before they parts way for 5 Pieces to take their seats and for him to walk backstage. He is one of them who Hannah doesn’t keep in touch with but whenever there is a chance, he tells everyone how close they are. They got friendly at the drama set a year ago, and Hannah has even brought her members to his restaurant where he treated them to some food; she even had a date there with Jonghyun because no restaurant is better than Hong Suk Chun’s if you seek privacy.

Her back is better when taking a seat again, as she has been up for a bit. But soon again she guesses it will come back, hoping they will get to go backstage soon (though that isn’t possible as the ladies’ performance is at the end of the show).

It’s not weird at all to be at an award show with Jonghyun, she is not surprised over that. They kept things secret for two years, so the weird part is probably that fans are taking more notice of them attending the same thing. Hannah is aware of it; all the time, but she is isn’t weird about it at all. After taking their seats this time, SHINee and 5 Pieces sits at the front together; Carolina and Julia are sitting behind them. This time, Hannah sits furthest away from SHINee, trying to keep Maria from talking nonstop as she isn’t so interested in everything going on. Maybe they all are a little restless because they are going to Sweden tomorrow for their concert. But Maria shuts up during the performances; it’s the talk in between she is a little less interested in.

During the evening, 5 Pieces receive Best MV Award as well for [Daze] – the creative and stylish background and storyline matching the lyrics and video, 5 Pieces portrayed young women going crazy over the world where you are judged and criticized while they sing that each person puts others in a daze for being themselves, and the music video was explosive that made viewers go just as crazy. A music video with the best music, best choreography, best concept, best style and most worthy of MelOn Music Awards 2013 Best MV for having it all.

Every performer for tonight has their own concept starting with ‘Music is…’ and a specific word such as legend, history and other. 5 Pieces’ is MUSIC IS PASSION. It was not 5 Pieces who chose it actually, but the producers of the show explained that 5 Pieces has such passion that no one else matches the word better. Being one of the last performers, 5 Pieces is more than ready when their turn comes.

MelOn Music Awards have four stages all linked together with runways in between, all stages leading to each other. It has worked well for the artists to use one and then move to the big one in the middle or the centre out by the fans for the highlight or for members to appear on different places, and 5 Pieces too will take advantage with the creative stage.

The whole arena goes black for the performance to begin, spotlights changing from various colours travels around over the stages and audience in preparations, and while dancers walk up on the stage they walk to the pace of 5 Pieces instrumental sound from [Daze]. The audience is on their feet by the sound of the song, hands up in the air in excitement while loudly cheering for what will come and they try to look at the dancers that hides underneath long coats in either red or black. All men have red coats, their heads are facing forward and they are mixed up among the women who are wearing black coats with a hood to hide their faces; you know they are women because of the high heels they are all wearing. Within seconds, dancers have appeared all over the stages, just walking while the instrumental has added in the chorus’ distantly repeating singing *(da – da – da – da – da – da – da – daze)* and the audience keeps singing the same thing over and over again.

The camera films the dancers, then the whole arena to show how big it looks. It isn’t all that many dancers on the stage, but with the space between them to fit, it works. The stage shines up, the spotlights keeps moving in matching colours and the attention is put on the main stage when the dancers all gathers there, everyone taking positions to cover the main stage, mixing up the red and black coats. The last *daze* is repeated and the full chorus begins to play, not live, but with the chorus playing everyone on the stage starts dancing the addicting and powerful, and the audience can’t stop screaming in delight.

*YOU’RE IN A DAZE (da – da – da – da – da – da – da - daze)

You are beautiful, you are different; you are no one else but you (da – da – da – da – da – da – da - daze)

This amazing person, like no one else, there is no one like you (da – da – da – da – da – da – da - daze)

YOU’RE IN A DAZE*

With all of the dancers dancing alike, only the two colours of the coats differences men and women, they all look alike. After the chorus, the instrumental continues for them to keep dancing it all over again, and only five among them turns around, making themselves visible while taking off the coat and when turning back around, standing in the centre, the music stops; the dancers stops, and 5 Pieces are standing there. Most of the audience gets a shock to see that 5 Pieces has been on the stage the entire time, even a second-long look at the idols sitting on the side lets you see the impressed face-expression of SISTAR. And that’s the point to it.

The song begins from the beginning, everyone on the stage (5 Pieces and the dancers) all give a pose to each word, as Emelia slowly says;

*DAZZLE… STUN… DAZE…*

All dancers are turned to face 5 Pieces, as if it is 5 Pieces that dazzles them, that stuns them, and that puts them in a daze. 5 Pieces are wearing the same plaid a-line shirtdress as before, but in red. They look hotter in red, and three of the members are wearing black platform wedge over-the-knee boots while Emelia and Hannah are wearing black studded over-the-knee platform boots – the difference is that Emelia and Hannah have two centimetres higher and not wedge heels. In the over-the-knee heels, all five members look tall and slim, and with the shirtdress giving them some shapes makes them look like the perfect women. The tough kind you don’t want to play with. What probably makes the audience scream the most (and the idols stand up on the side cheering too) is that 5 pieces have their trademark shown for this song; on their bodies, visible on their thighs, wrists, hands, neck and above the neck-line of the dress, the members have fake-tattoos with words on them. Not everywhere on one member, but they have it mixed up, looking like they did back in December-January when promoting this song. And that’s why the noise gets louder.

[Carolina] *5 Pieces*

And then it’s on. 5 Pieces begins dancing, microphone in hand and singing the song from the beginning. Maria begins, her voice like always receives a loud response. The dancers take off their coats too, joining 5 Pieces on the main stage to perform the exhausting but fun song.

They perform crazily through half the song, the audience jumping along. Julia sings one line, then Maria sings her part *Endless judgement from strangers, from people around me and you* and a remix makes the music begin to hack. Maria takes a twirl when it happens, like the diva she is, and the other members starts walking away; two members to the left and two members to the right, and the dancers do the same while some female dancers appears, wearing pretty dresses and the music that has been hacking reveals how [Daze] is hacked into [Princess], and Maria waves a hand to her face, blinking before singing her solo song. It was a great change.

While Maria is a princess for her solo song, the other members walk out over the other stages in the dark. Hannah is out in the middle on the right side, on the small platform that has three stages leading from it; the main, second one out in the centre and the third where the other idols are sitting. Emelia and Julia are on the centre stage while Carolina is on the other stage as Hannah on the left side.

Maria doesn’t do the full song, and when she is done, the song switches back right away with Maria doing an adlib from [Princess] while Hannah continues where they left off in [Daze]. She walks a few steps while singing, following the camera filming in front of her, and the audience is shouting once again over the switch.

*These words I have kept hearing. BREAKING and CRUSHING*

[Emelia] *DAZZLE… STUN… DAZE… STOP for a second. Isn’t it dazzling?*

[Carolina] *Don’t listen, show them the confidence. This is who you are (SHOW ME)*

[5 Pieces] *Living in a world filled with love and hate, judgement of strangers. How to stand it? How to survive this?*

[CHORUS, Maria] *I’M IN A DAZE (da - da - da - da - da - da - da - daze)

I am beautiful, I am different; I am no one else but me (da - da - da - da - da - da - da - daze)

This amazing person, like no one else, there is no one like me (da - da - da - da - da - da - da - daze)

I’M IN A DAZE*

Everyone stopped again when Emelia’s part came, giving poses at her words, and they stayed in their positions all over the place to get every part of the arena to dance along once the chorus begun again. Maria still on the main stage, has dancers to support the big space around her, and Hannah can see from her place how EXO are standing up, moving their hands in the air or moving some part of their bodies, while other artists were more just nodding along sitting. For the next part, a more vocal part than dancing, all the ladies head towards the centre stage. Julia leans her head up, looking troubled when she sings her part;

*How come everyone is crying? I hear you complain, I keep hearing what’s wrong

[Carolina] All this useless complaining*

[RAP, Emelia] *It’s my life! Mind your own! I run away, I cry myself to sleep. Where am I going? I have no idea, I want to leave, I want to run

Where should I be? I don’t fit around here. These people keeps giving me judging glares, I can’t stand it. No one is perfect, there is no such thing as perfection*

During Emelia’s amazing rap with her dark voice and the audience screaming along, Hannah and Carolina reaches that stage, so when Emelia’s part is over, Hannah walks right across that stage to the front corner, to face the audience and the camera filming below the stage while doing her own small rap;

*Broken glass can’t be fixed, the cracks will always be seen, never disappear. I don’t want to be here anymore*

Maria makes her fabulous entrance in the middle of the members as they begin the chorus, the ending part. The dancers on the main stage follows along to the choreography as 5 Pieces dances and sings crazily, filled with passion, to the end of the song.

[Daze] comes to an end, and the stage goes dark just for the screen to show a video. It is a live award show, so the live-feed with show the video without the stage.

At the same time as 5 Pieces’ performance at the Eurovision Song Contest earlier this year is revealed, just a clip of it, a Korean announcer is heard saying from a News program ‘in 2013, 5 Pieces finally got the attention they deserve in their home country thanks to [Daze]. A song loved all around the world. It took five years of hard work in a distant country for this to happen’. The video manages to show a backstage clip of that time too, when 5 Pieces is laughing and showing excitement for the camera to perform in their home-country. Maria’s voice is heard saying ‘it felt … impossible, to stand on the stage and know that mostly everyone in Europe who was watching their country participating in this contest was watching us at that moment.’ The video continues, revealing brief clips of so many Korean music programs where 5 Pieces is announced as the winner; both for [Daze] as for [Black & White]. They reveal clips of 5 Pieces when they have been practicing, clips from five years ago, to two years ago. ‘We don’t practice for ourselves. If we are satisfied, we practice even more,’ Emelia’s voice is heard saying (it is all taken from interviews), ‘because those we perform for, deserve more’.

The whole arena shouts out in a cry at those words. 5 Pieces is standing on the centre stage, standing neatly and looking down, just waiting for the video to end.

The video reveals different performances, brief clips of 5 Pieces and their fans interactions, smiles and how they reach their hands for each other. ‘It’s been five years filled with passion,’ Carolina’s voice says, and this was recorded just for this video, ‘and every morning we wake up, thinking that we are able to share this passion with you, and it’s actually just one reason behind it. Your love, your support, your determination to live the dream with us, it is your passion that has created ours.’ And the video ends, instead the spotlight shines on 5 Pieces now standing on the stage.

Hannah can’t raise her head, smiling when seeing the spotlight turn on. Because they are from Sweden, they have done one impossible thing after the other, and they have turned it possible. Maria takes a deep breath when looking out at the audience at MelOn Music Awards.

“Music is passion,” she says in her microphone and then smiles as 5 Pieces’ [Oppa] begins to play.

It is a love-song, R&B-pop song with adorably awkward lyrics and cute choreography, but it is a song they released this year and as 5 Pieces begins to perform it, and the audience doesn’t seem to mind at all. It’s not the whole song, they have a dance remix somewhere in the middle and passes by to the ending right away, just doing the final part before their performance comes to an end, but the ladies are satisfied. Their fans seem satisfied too; touched by the message, and maybe happy that 5 Pieces haven’t forgotten [Oppa] – as it was a while since they performed it.

While SHINee has their performance, 5 Pieces is backstage; calming down after the performance, giving back the microphones, giving a touch on their make-up … Prepares for the ending of the music award show. With EXO performing in the middle of it, doing a cover of SHINee’s song, Hannah and Maria hurries to sit among the other idols in time for SHINee’s [Everybody] stage. 5 Pieces is still in the red/black shirtdress from their performance, in the same high heels as well.

Sitting there, watching SHINee’s performance, Hannah is very satisfied with her evening. She did very well; their managers had given them the thumbs up when they came backstage and Hannah felt good when performing. The audience was good on the reactions, and that is why it felt good. Maria is also satisfied, thinking they gave them the right message. In other words, 5 Pieces is satisfied with their performance. And they have gotten two awards! TOP 10 and Best MV; that is so great! Hannah smiles when she tells Maria that, boasting a little with a giggle, and Maria hugs her arm and giggles in response that [Daze] really is 5 Pieces’ top song so far. It feels like that, especially with all the attention they have gotten.

A few minutes later, the girls are sitting together on the second row, and EXO along with the female MC are introducing the final three awards. First is Best Song of the Year, and the great female singer Insooni is presenting that award. Carolina is gaping when the woman sings a bit of SHINee’s song as they just performed, and Hannah knows that all five of them show their eyes glowing when seeing her. She is a great singer; powerful and respectable. But when she is talking on the main stage, Taemin sitting on the first row with the other members of SHINee turns around and looks somewhat shocked when he says something to Maria. Hannah is sitting furthest out with Carolina on her left with the other members there too, and she only sees lips moving when Taemin says something to Maria and Julia. Maria responses, but again Hannah can’t hear so she looks at the main stage instead; she is still talking. Hannah gets just a little, little distracted by having the back of Jonghyun’s head between the view for her to see the veteran singer presenting the award.

The nominees are seen, and once again they are all the best songs of 2013. EXO, B2ST, 5 Pieces, SHINee, G-Dragon… all of the best songs of the year and Hannah is in such a mood that she is nodding along to every one of them. Any song could win, and she wouldn’t really care; all songs are good and deserve to win.

Insooni makes jokes when she is about to reveal the winner, and after taking a peek at the winner for herself, she says ‘aah…’. Hannah laughs when everyone else laughs at it, as she is not giving away the winner at all with that comment.

“2013 Best Song of the Year,” Insooni smiles out at everyone, “is it this they do?”

She asks everyone and Hannah stretches on her back to try see above Jonghyun’s head when she simply moves her head, trying out some dance. Carolina suddenly hits Hannah on the leg so hard that Hannah almost screams.

“It’s our song!” she bursts out in a loud whisper at Hannah before turning to say the same thing to Julia, though Hannah quietly asks them how they know that. What Insooni just did could be exactly any song with choreography in it…

“Should we say it together after 1, 2, 3?” Insooni laughs as the audience seems to have understood. Hannah pouts because Carolina is too busy convincing Julia and Maria that it is their song that she doesn’t give Hannah any attention and Jonghyun has already stood up applauding for some reason, but Insooni is fast that as soon as she has asked the question she counts and calls out with the audience; “5 Pieces!”

Hannah can’t help but to scoff. As if she heard it wrong just because Carolina kept saying it. SHINee stands up, cheering; those in the back stands up cheering too, and Hannah look questioning at Carolina who grabs Hannah’s arm to stand up too, embracing her for a hug. 5 Pieces has won Song of the Year at MelOn Music Awards. Hannah laughs while hugging Carolina, slowly letting it get to her that Carolina was right, and when seeing the other members stepping away from their seats to be congratulated by SHINee, Carolina turns Hannah around to walk out the other side, where EXO have stepped out to congratulate their seniors. Her smile is so silly when she give Sehun an awkward high-five, followed by another high-five with Lay who also pats her on the arm before he congratulates Carolina too. Hannah just knows she does high-five with a lot of EXO members, including SHINee’s Taemin who has run up to them after hugging the other three members and he is all jumpy when putting his arms around Hannah, and Jonghyun joins in by hugging them both and then Carolina gets so happy that she joins in too and Hannah just laughs, unable to breathe between the other three.

It goes quick, just because the other members are already walking out on the stage, and Hannah tries to be invisible when she gives Jonghyun a quick hug, then bows and being congratulated by the other SHINee members before she head after the others, hand in hand with Carolina, jogging to get up behind them. She bows to the audience too, not sure if she is smiling or grimacing, but the girls are almost running to the main stage to not let this sink in just yet.

Insooni is beautiful, amazing. 5 Pieces is standing together when deeply bowing to greet her, and she just laughs so warmly, moving her body to 5 Pieces’ song that has been playing a bit. Julia gets to accept the award, bowing two awkward times to Insooni, and Hannah thinks her friend is shaking. They just had this video shown for everyone to see how thankful they are for this, and they receive one of the big three awards! Insooni then tells them kindly to say their speech and Emelia is the one who begins talking in a microphone; Emelia and Maria both have a microphone. The first person she thanks is Insooni, for presenting them this award; a wonderful award from a wonderful person.

Hannah can feel her eyes get all teary as she is slowly realising that 5 Pieces’ song has won for the best song of the year; when the nominees were shown she never thought they would win, she just focused on all of the others, thinking it wouldn’t matter because they all deserve it. And now, 5 Pieces got that award. She hugs Maria when the leader turns around; both of them seemed to have gotten the thought at the same time that they haven’t hugged each other yet. While Emelia lets Carolina say some words too (they just thanks the usual people while fans are cheering), Hannah embraces Julia from behind, and Julia looks at her, all teary too, hugging Hannah’s arms while they listen at Carolina sounding stupid when thanking their staff and fans.

Emelia turns to look at the three members on her left side, quietly asking who is talking next and Julia holds out a hand to get Maria’s microphone. When Carolina is done, Julia gets to talk, and Emelia grabs on to Hannah for the youngest to not hide behind them when they are just five members. Carolina gives Emelia the microphone, Emelia gives it to Hannah, and Hannah slinks it by behind Julia who is talking to give it to Maria, who hesitates to mouth for Hannah that she should do it and with the leader saying, that happens. Julia finishes, about to give the microphone to Hannah but seeing she has it so she gives it to Maria instead. Hannah swallows, seeing Emelia almost staring at her for her to say something.

“There has been a lot…” Hannah starts but stops when hearing Carolina give out a crying sound, then continues with another sentence; “Thank you. The members have said most people already, so I just want to thank… um…” Hannah can’t stand still, trying so much to not cry when seeing Emelia turn around to hug Carolina and to feel Julia next to her hold an arm around her waist. She knows her eyes are filled with tears so she tries not to blink because it will fall down her cheeks them. “I want to thank our fans, most of all, for this award, for loving our song, and my members, for always, always doing their best. I also want to thank our families, who from close and afar have given the members the love and support only family can, and my brother Kyung Ho… Thank you, everyone.”

She ends quickly when thinking she has said too much and is fast to give a bow while handing the microphone to Julia, and Maria smiles when getting to say the final words.

“On behalf of 5 Pieces; thank you so much for letting us attend MelOn Music Awards, for cheering us on during our performance, for making us cry of happiness for this award, and for putting us in a daze every single day. Thank you, Puzzle, we love you! Thank you!” Maria cries out and with a hand on Julia’s back, she makes them bow all over again and it is all the members doing it together.

When standing back up, Hannah bows lightly anew and Maria is congratulated by Insooni and the ladies make a group hug on their way back to their seats. Hannah keeps bowing to the fans on the way, waving a bit and wiping the tears. 2013 Best Album of the Year presenter makes his appearance before they have taken their seats, and both SHINee and EXO are standing up to congratulate them once again when the ladies come back. Hannah automatically lowers her head to bow at them all, even if they are more like family. The presenter has even started to talk before everyone is taking their seats, and Hannah hugs Carolina; Carolina just cried a bit for the moment, not much but she still sits there with three tissues in her face once Emelia gives it to them. Emelia is so great that she had walked to the side to get tissues from some staff, and when taking their seats she hands it out to the members. Maria leans forward, resting her head against Minho’s backrest while wiping the tears no one had seen. Hannah isn’t really crying either, but she gets teary and to not ruin her make-up she is careful to wipe them away now when they have taken their seats.

All of a sudden the nominees for Best Album of the Year is shown; SHINee, IU, EXO, even Maria’s solo album is there, the usual albums that have been a big talk of the year. Hannah is barely aware that she is looking at the nominees, just hearing some songs being played. The man on the main stage now is dressed in white, another veteran singer but Hannah can not remember his name. She is now sitting and patting Carolina’s leg, who is patting Hannah’s leg, while blankly looking at the man dressed in white saying the award and is slowly breathing in while checking the winner.

“And this year’s winner is … Maria,” he announces, a little late adds; “with the album [Princess].”

As soon as her name was said, Maria looked up, just staring out as if she had been caught sleeping in class. It feels like a second is a minute when Hannah breathes in, the shock is the air filling her lung and the next second as everyone around them stands up she suddenly jumps up on her feet with a scream, turning to her members who also look to be out of their minds but starts cheering. SHINee shouts loudly too while Maria just looks at her members, open and tears visibly returning in her eyes. They all hug her, making space between the chairs to hug the leader and jump with her and SHINee members are jumping and dancing and cheering too from the row in front of them while the song is played in the stadium. Emelia then pushes Maria out from their row and Maria finds herself being congratulated by Onew and Key, then Minho and Jonghyun and she is just covering , staring at each one’s face while slowly, very slowly, heading out. [Princess] is playing and Hannah just can’t stop jumping and clapping her hands, wiping the tears that she now can’t wipe away fast enough and the members are just loudly shouting as loud as the fans when Maria is walking out on the main stage; microphone in one hand and the other hand now placed on her chest.

Hannah covers with both hands when Maria accepts the award, the ladies still standing up and they look like parents do when their child has just done something no one else can. But it is like that! Maria has won Best Album of the Year with her first solo album!

Maria is crying so badly when she faces the audience with the award against her chest, the ladies standing on their row, crying with her from afar. It probably looks hilarious on the TV-screen, but they don’t know what else to do other than stand up and cry with her. SHINee is standing up too, still applauding; they also know how big this is for the princess leader.

“I-” Maria stops, crying. The fans are so loud, some just screaming their lungs out while others screams for her to not cry. “I want to thank my ladies… for…” she stops to try wipe her tears, making some ugly crying sounds and the ladies laugh at how adorable their leader is. “Ladies, I love you! A thank to our families in Sweden, my mother and father, my grandparents, my sisters and mother… To our Manager Appa and his wife and children who I adore so much…” she keeps crying, endlessly, but still gets her things said. “And to diva Yong Hyun Oppa, Mi Young Unnie… To of course Lee Sooman who trusted me on this, and the SM family – SM Town… SHINee and EXO and f(x) who are here today… All the people who have helped me with the album, Hyekyung and Pete, huh…” Maria cries even more, and she can hear the ladies cheer from a distance, which doesn’t help her at all. “Thanks to Puzzle, all our fans around the globe… Thank you so much for this… even if I had so many worries for it. I want to thank my ladies who have- they have really helped me out on this album, leading me the way I should lead you. And our fans, thank you, always. Puzzle makes everything possible. Thank you so much!”

She bows quickly, wanting to go back to her members.

Hannah pouts when waiting for Maria to come back, the next award already being talked about by the same presenter, and she smiles when Jonghyun nonchalantly holds his arm behind Taemin to reach Hannah, who lightly takes his hand as if they are shaking it, and he then takes his hand back to applause for Maria who comes hurrying back. The ladies all gathers on one side, hugging their leader while the man in white keeps talking. Maria pushes them to sit down quickly though, as the nominees are shown. The ladies seem to use up all of the tissues though.

The youngest releases a sigh when leaning back, just about to stop crying when the nominees are done showing. 5 Pieces have gotten four awards tonight; Maria was awarded for best album! She shakes her head at the unbelievable reality they live in, and somehow she hears Taemin sitting in front of her say that 5 Pieces probably wins the last award too – Artist of the Year. It is like a reflex happening in her leg, like when you hit a certain spot on the knee your leg just flies up; her leg flies up, kicking underneath Taemin’s chair so he and Jonghyun both turns around.

“You are most likely going to win,” she tells him, though she is so happy that she can’t help but to smile. Both of the boys shoots dazzling smiles at her, either to say she is being foolish or that they have a lot of faith that they finally will get this award. She smiles at them and they turn their focus back to the man who is about to announce the winner.

He talks and talks (honestly, he doesn’t say much at all but Hannah can’t focus on the specific words as she just wants the winner to be announced) and finally, he says it with his hand in the air:

“SHINee!”

It’s 5 Pieces’ turn to fly up for them. Hannah almost flies forward, embracing Taemin from behind with one arm to hug him and she misses Jonghyun when he leans forward but she still pats him on the back, caressing it. EXO flies to the front too, everyone hugging the winners – Artist of the Year! Maria is still crying for her own win when hugging Minho, and he is laughing at her, smiling so brightly. Hannah can’t get through, even if she sees Jonghyun between the crowd looking for her between the congratulation-hugs he gets and they end up just smiling at each other as SHINee head towards the main stage. Hannah keeps clapping her hands, jumping when SHINee jumps away, and she stands there cheering with EXO and 5 Pieces. She cheers on her boyfriend, on her friends, on her seniors and family.

SHINee shouts out their greeting and Jonghyun smiles so his teeth are blinding towards where they all are standing on the side and Hannah can’t help but to smile a little wider too. They hadn’t thought they would win; but SHINee won, they really did!

The girls are just smiling now, because they know that if anyone should win this year, it is SHINee. The way they have worked, sweated and gone through difficult schedules; that they not once in five years have gotten this award before. This time the girls doesn’t cry like they did when Maria won, instead they are smiling until their cheeks are hurting because SHINee can’t get a full sentence out without breaking apart.

“They are so cute,” Maria says in a whiny voice as the boys start crying on the stage.

As artists and co-workers, as friends for the past five years, they can understand the feeling. The feeling they all share; to get an award for your hard work and effort. The ladies have cried so many times, each time they get an award, not understanding how people can actually give them an award for doing their best and having fun on the stage, but to see your friends get the same award you accepted a year before, Hannah realises how big everything actually is. All the awards 5 Pieces have received have felt so distant; Song of the Year and Album of the Year, she hasn’t realised that it is actually this award it has been, the awards that artists every year wish to get. Somehow it seems too far for them that she can’t understand it, though she cries when they get it, and whenever another artist receive it she can just smile and nod her head thinking “they deserved it, with everything they have done”.

They cry so much, SHINee. It’s so weird to see all five of them cry so badly. Only 5 Pieces and EXO are standing up among the idols for them, but they are family members after all.

The female MC starts the goodbye, to let the encore begin, and Emelia waves for EXO to come along. No one of them can handle it anymore. Even in high heels, Hannah runs with her members and the boy-group to the main stage, hurrying to go and congratulate the biggest winners of the night.

Hannah grabs some tissues on the way, so when she reaches SHINee with the others she is ready to give them the tissues to wipe their tears if they want to. She sneaks to the back of the crowd of everyone, trying to spot a SHINee member to congratulate, and just like before, she meet Jonghyun’s eyes between the people and like two magnets they just walk straight to each other. She can’t stop smiling at his face filled with tears, so happy for him because it is tears of happiness and effort, and he walks right into her arms, diving his face into her shoulder and he cries so his body almost shakes.

“Congratulations,” she tells him in a low voice, hugging him tightly and not complaining that he hugs her so tight around her chest that she can’t barely breathe. “It was not a joke when I said you will probably win.”

“I knew that,” he cries against her shoulder, and just for a second she thinks he is wiping of his tears on her pretty dress. But she couldn’t care less, instead she just caresses his back a little, her heart warm that he believed her words even if she hadn’t said it in a serious tone. “I didn’t believe it though.”

She laughs at his words, hoping she heard him correctly, and she smiles when Kai wants to congratulate him too.

“And why are you crying?” she laughs at EXO’s tall baby, putting a hand to caress his arm. Kai wipes his tears right away, mumbling something but she can’t hear what and she gets out of Jonghyun’s arms, lightly wiping his tears with the tissues she had brought and when she finds herself done with that she gives it to him in case he needs them more. “Can I go congratulate the others?”

It’s not that she asks for permission, she just feels bad that he is crying so much and she would want to comfort him but she wants to be friendly with the others too. Jonghyun nods, and Hannah lets some EXO members congratulate him while she goes on a shining hunt, quickly finding a SHINee member and within minutes she has hugged all of them, including Maria who she found along the way too. It is a lot of congratulating, hugging and tears between them all and by the time everyone has hugged everyone, they are all facing the front as the final words are being said by the MCs. Then the hugging starts all over again. Julia is really fun. She gives Onew a tissue, which he drops on the floor, so she gives him another tissue, which he thanks for but doesn’t use because he seem to be a little lost by the award, so she tries to describe for him what to do with it. Hannah is mostly by that time just staying in the back, clapping her hands lightly and bowing and smiling at whoever she sees looks at her.

Out of nowhere Jonghyun is talking in the microphone, both thanking and apologizing and she just wants to hug him again and tell him he has nothing to apologize for because SHINee deserves this award after all these years working so hard.

Everyone seems to gather in a line next to each other, pushing each other to create a line where they hold hands and among all the boys, it isn’t that hard to spot her members. Hannah is about to head to the side next to Chanyeol and Emelia when Julia grabs her arm and pushes the youngest to stand next to her instead; Key standing next to Julia and when Hannah looks up on her own side, Jonghyun is standing there, looking for her right hand. He is too busy saying that SM Town’s EXO, SHINee and 5 Pieces will say their goodbye that not until he has looked across the audience and said those things, he feels her warm hand in his and he smiles at her right before they all bow down with a ‘thank you’. He holds on to her hand tightly, while Julia keeps moving Hannah’s other hand in excitement and Hannah isn’t really sure what to do; be excited or just start hugging everyone? She can’t stop smiling though.

After the last goodbye, the show has ended, Hannah jumps up and down, stepping further back on the stage and smiling while holding down her dress and she smiles shyly when Jonghyun slinks up next to her, wrapping his arm around her shoulder to push her in for a hug, secretly kissing her neck before he turns them around standing next to each other to bow quickly to the audience even if some EXO members are in the way and then parts a bit to get off the stage. Hannah runs to Maria, embracing her leader from behind and they both starts shouting happily at each other, and Carolina joins them.

And after this, they will go to Sweden. Hannah almost wants to cry the moment she comes to think of that. She doesn’t want to go… South Korea is enough for them, she don’t want to be asked the same questions they always are asked; she wants to celebrate and be surrounded by people she likes and to perform in front of an audience that enjoys it.

With a final bow, she gets off the stage, still smiling because of one thing; 5 Pieces have made it.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 14th: Fans Are Reminded By 5 Pieces Of Their Swedish Concert D-5 With A Picture

Headline 14th: EM Says Her Goodbyes On M Countdown With [Missing]

Headline 14th: 5 Pieces Attends MelOn Music Awards + Performs A Special Performance

Headline 14th: 5 Pieces Take Home FOUR Awards From MelOn Music Awards!

 

Headline 15th: Emelia Talk About MelOn Music Awards + 5 Pieces’ Always Shocked Reactions

Headline 15th: Maria Shares A Comic Picture On Instagram Writing “I Didn’t Cry Enough…”

Headline 15th: EM Has Her [Missing] Goodbye Stage On Music Bank

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

X. devonalias