Chapter 40 - I Want a Man

Youngest of Pieces: Five Years in History (9)

“Should I have said it differently?” Julia wonders, clearing while the ladies are in the van heading for the pre-recording for their very first comeback performance on Inkigayo.

“I liked it,” Carolina mumbles.

It is the second day of January and after radio programs filled with promotions yesterday, 5 Pieces started today early for a morning radio appearance and then a bunch of different interviews and simple photo shoots for their comeback before they are now heading for a pre-recording for Friday’s and Sunday’s music programs. The very first performances; it is their very first approach with their fans for this comeback. Julia is still thinking about one of the last interviews they did, she keeps repeating the questions and answers that she had to answer, not concerned at all that they all answer questions either good or better from time to time. Hannah has no interest to think of what they have said; she has trouble even remembering what they have said because it all is a blur in excitement for all the interest they have in 5 Pieces’ comeback.

Before going to SBS Inkigayo’s pre-recording for Sunday’s comeback performance the ladies had visited the hair saloon to fix hair and make-up for the performance. It’s important to keep a perfect look for a perfect comeback – Maria’s words.

The car pulls up outside the building and the ladies grab their things, Julia still talking about her view from the interviews and Emelia saying something about the stage outfits to the manager. Hannah is always sitting in the very back of the van, so usually she is the last one out the van – like today – and is the member who has the time to hear the fans cheering from a distance down the street at 5 Pieces’ appearance. Carolina has wrapped herself in a warm jacket, her cold still not that lovely but it doesn’t seem to get either better or worse, which the managers take as a good sign (it’s better to have the cold stay the same like this rather than getting worse), and Carolina heads off behind Emelia to get indoors quickly. Julia and Hannah link their arms together as Julia waited for Hannah to step out, and with Julia whispering to Hannah that they should wave to the fans, there is absolutely no second thought if they should do it or not as the two of them turns around and waves with their free hands, smiling at the crowd cheering at them.

“Inside, ladies,” Manager Lim warmly says when walking past them with the bag Carolina had forgotten.

Hannah and Julia waves some more when taking a step back before they turn around to follow the others. The fans are surrounding the side of the building, as they know the glass-walls will let them get a great view of 5 Pieces entering the building and head upstairs, and naturally when entering the building it is Hannah and Julia who are waving to every smiling face they can spot on the other side of the glass.

5 Pieces are wearing red halter sleeveless knee-length a-line cocktail dresses today, and a part of Hannah think that is what made fans scream even louder when they first spotted the ladies. The dresses are simple, the a-line easily flies around and the bare legs will look very pretty in the high heels later – but at the moment the ladies are wearing their own sneakers. It doesn’t fit the dresses, but with 5 Pieces being prepared for a performance with clothes, hair and make-up, it is just the sneakers that need a change.

Indoors, it is waiting and preparing. While fans get to go inside after some time, the ladies are backstage and getting ready with the high heels and check on their hair and all that. They practice too, only the choreography and talks to the dancers and the band there. After all, it takes more than an hour until their pre-recording is about to start and that leaves the ladies a lot of time to practice – every chance they get, they practice their new song.

“Hey, Hannah,” Manager Lee is smiling when he comes inside the backstage room with some things drinks to those who wants.

Hannah looks up, not because he said her name but more the way he said it, and she looks at him with a lot of worry. Manager Lee looks like he has something bad on his mind with that smirk lurking on his face. “Where is my cinnamon coffee and homemade sweets?” Manager Lee asks, putting down the drinks on the table to cross his arms at Hannah, who grimaces at his question.

“What?” she almost chuckle. Coffee and sweets?

“You promised me,” Manager Lee points at her, “And don’t even try that you have forgotten it. You promised me coffee and sweets every single day of the month – since we didn’t meet yesterday, I’m getting the double today – for what I pretended I didn’t see the other day.” He looks so pleased with himself, and Emelia is chuckling some meters away. Emelia always hears everything. And the thing is, Hannah and Emelia have already talked about this, so Hannah just smiles at him.

“That promise was broken when Appa caught us,” Hannah answers, her smile just growing.

“I still did my part,” Manager Lee reminds her, “so don’t even try, Hannah. The promise is still on.”

“No way it’s not!”

“It surely is. I know how your schemes work; you will not get away with this one. I will get my cinnamon coffee and homemade sweets-”

“I’m not baking for you,” Hannah abruptly says and steps away, letting Manager Lee see Emelia who has been smiling behind Hannah.

Manager Lee is not smiling at her. “It’s all your fault,” he tells the rapper in a low voice, his eyes small as he knows she is the guilty one for making Hannah realise the promise is broken since Manager Lim now did catch her sneaking Jonghyun inside the apartment and it is something no one forgets because they all were scolded for it.

Emelia smirks back at him; getting up from her seat and calmly makes sure the dress is not wrinkled from sitting down. When she looks up, she is smiling evilly at the manager. “Trust me, you do not want Hannah go make you coffee – you are much better without it.”

“I don’t trust you,” he mumbles.

“Very clever of you,” Emelia nods and walks away to where Hannah is hiding from him, leaving the manager sighing for himself. “Are we going to go through the song again or what?”

Hannah knows her manager will not give up on the promise, but for now the ladies focuses on their comeback pre-recording. She is so excited, clapping her hands when the staff says they can start to go to the stage.

“The poor life of being short,” Maria says when putting an arm around Hannah’s shoulders, the two of them walking towards the stage. “You know, baby, no matter how gorgeous you look in that dress, I will still be above you.”

“Woa, that’s so nice to hear,” Hannah says with her voice and face filled with sarcasm. Maria laughs at it; all of them are in such a great mood that even the jokes are filled with too much laughter. Maria puts her arm down, fixing Hannah’s wavy hair as if she just afterwards noticed she was pressing it down.

“I like your hair though,” Maria admits.

Hannah laughs this time, pushing herself away from Maria with her head leaned back with a laugh. “I like your hair too, Captain.”

Maria throws her hair a bit, smiling brightly with her teeth. “I know,” she confidently says, loving it too and the two of them laughs even more. Maria grabs Hannah’s hand and starts bouncing lightly, their dresses moves along with each movement and they laugh at how girly they look; they indeed love this concept. Hand in hand, these two girls arrive at the scene where the audience is already happily saying ‘hi’ to Julia, who already is on the stage chatting and introducing the band that is preparing on the stage as well.

“WA~ WOW!” the audience gets louder and waves when the two girls step forward, and Hannah can see some at the front get bigger eyes when facing the transformation of the ladies that just a few days ago wore ripped clothes with words like ‘ugly’ and ‘rude’ written on their bodies and are now looking glamorous in dresses with matching red peep-toe pumps. Where did 5 Pieces go?

Hannah gets shy all of a sudden, feeling all those eyes on her and her body. She swallows, moving to stand on Maria’s other side and even changing the hand they are holding, out of nowhere realising that she is actually dressed up in the prettiest of the glorious outfit, her arms bare and body flaunted in the red dress.

“Microphone, microphone, microphone, microphone,” Emelia is muttering behind them and a white glitter microphone is held up between Hannah and Maria. “You forgot your microphones.”

She gives Maria hers while Hannah turns around, giving one to Hannah as well and poking them from behind to walk up on the stage.

5 Pieces’ Inkigayo comeback stage is absolutely shining. Like a simple C-shape from the back to the sides it is a three meter glittering light set-up, there are stars that will blink and different lights shifting from gold, white and red. On three different spots around the sides, the band has been set up with their instruments and back-in-time structure. It looks like it will be both blinding and one of a kind performance, and even if Hannah has seen it earlier she is still amazed when seeing it now. To not have to show how embarrassed she is, Hannah keeps looking at the back – the set, pretending she is overly impressed by it. She is impressed, but really not enough that she has to stare at it in awe but she knows no one notices as the others are talking with the fans. Maria is talking the most now, showing off her shoes and asking the fans if they like it, if they like the new concept, if it was a good change, if they have eaten… The whole crowd answers the same thing loudly, all positive.

Carolina makes her appearance too, and with her cue Hannah walks up to the other ladies for them to do their introduction. And again, Hannah walks to the left side before Emelia grabs her arm and lightly pulls her to stand in the middle, making the fans scream and Hannah embarrassedly lower her head. They have to use the new positions and Hannah can’t seem to get used to it, but she puts up the microphone to her lips when Maria says to them all; “Pieces of one-”

“Hello, we are 5 Pieces!” the girls greet the fans together and ends with a bow, hearing the fans together call out;

“And Puzzle!”

Hannah laughs with her members at the joined greeted, clapping her hand on her wrist as she is holding the microphone, Maria is fast to joke that she has looked forward to meet Puzzle for this year and so on. Hannah takes a step back, still shy to approach their fans with the new concept. She is glad that the PD says they will start the rehearsal, asking everyone to take their positions and the girls head to the back of the stage. Carolina is warming up her voice a little more, the fans cheering at exactly everything they do and the band is preparing for it too.

The ladies are nervous even for the rehearsal, their first official comeback recording. Other than the surprise performance at Gayo Daejun and the music video, this is the first time fans will actually see the performance and all there is to it. Suddenly, Gayo Daejun feels like it was a long time ago, though it was only two days ago if even that. Hannah is so nervous that when the music begins, she misses her cue for the high adlib by a second (so happy this is the rehearsal) and she smiles when lightly doing the adlib a little late and the audience is cheering at it.

They only do half the song, and when the music stops the audience is screaming again.

“Our band is awesome, aren’t they?” Carolina starts talking right, more comfortable on the stage after they have been singing a little and she took the chance as Maria head straight to the side to talk to the PD and drink some water. Hannah and Julia both talks to the band in the back.

Working with a live band isn’t the first time for 5 Pieces. They did it to their Japan Arena Tour a year ago as well, but to actually grab a band with you to your one song comeback performances is something they haven’t done before and the ladies are aware of the band the whole time. Emelia hits Hannah on the when passing by, just to let her know someone is not pleased with her making the mistake at the beginning, and then Emelia puts her arm around Julia’s shoulder to listen to Carolina talking with the fans.

“Ladies, could you please come here?” Maria calmly asks in the microphone, not even turning around from where she is standing on the side of the stage as her voice in the microphone is enough for the ladies to step to the side.

While 5 Pieces are talking strategy, the PD is using a microphone of his own to tell Puzzle (the fans) to be lively and have fun and wave their balloons a lot. In the middle of him repeating to them to do this and that, Emelia leans out behind Hannah with her own microphone to ask the fans “okay?” as if asking if they understand, and the cuteness she uses makes the audience go loud. Hannah laughs quietly, trying to focus on what the ladies are talking about instead. The stylists are with them, quietly doing their job to make the ladies look good while the ladies are going through the details of their recording before they will start.

“Isn’t it cold?” some fans asks when the ladies are heading back to the stage. Julia looks down on her legs, shifting the microphone to her right hand to pinch on to the skin-coloured tights that they are wearing, showing it to the audience that suddenly goes ‘aaaah’ as if they suddenly understands and she laughs at how directed they sounded to do it together.

“Are you cold?” Julia asks the fans instead, but they all say they aren’t. “That’s good, he-he.”

Hannah is just smiling, heading to the back to quietly warm up her voice a little more and wait for them to start again. She doesn’t dare to touch her hair now when the stylist has put it perfectly for the first recording, and she turns around stiffly just to smile at Carolina walking up next to her. Carolina is a little quieter than usual in front of the fans today, for once knowing her being sick is not something good for fans to worry about and that her voice need to be saved for their schedule. That doesn’t stop Carolina from singing less; she just talks less.

Before starting the first pre-recording, the ladies put their hands together in the middle of the circle they create, and though they don’t use the microphones to shout ‘who are we? 5 Pieces!’ the fans still screams out the name with them and copies with their hands thrown up in the air. Hannah raises both her hands in the air when taking her position, cheering with the fans and lightly jumping in her high heels in excitement.

With excitement, 5 Pieces starts the pre-recording. The thing with recordings like this is that they take a long time. They do it over and over and over again, the fans chanting and cheering them on for each re-take and even when getting tired, the ladies smiles at the fans, telling them what a great support they are. There are no visible mistakes made, no matter how many times they do it, and Hannah is just smiling more and more between the takes because the fans keep cheering endlessly on them and telling how pretty they are. She can’t help but to take a deep breath by how well their comeback is, how well their fans are responding to [I Want a Man].

Yet somehow, the recording goes way too fast. It feels like they just started (three hours later…) when they are leaving, and the ladies get off the stage while asking the fans if they will see each other at the next recording. All of them said they will go, but Hannah doubts it when she twenty minutes later gets out to the van to head to the next pre-recording.

A lot of the fans actually follow like a tail or to KBS for Music Bank’s pre-recording.

Hannah is actually more nervous this time, and maybe that is because the first recording went really amazingly great and the fans were lovely, or the fact that Jonghyun keeps texting that he will come by at this recording.

Backstage at KBS is more chaotic than what SBS felt like, mostly because the ladies do the rehearsal as soon as they arrive and then go backstage to change their look for this recording. While Inkigayo was charming red, Music Bank will be glorious gold. The make-up is different too, just a little. Hannah is having a lot of fun with the red lipstick, first putting on too little and then too much and then forgets about it when drinking some water that she has to apply some more and ends up just pouting at the stylist to wait for her to help out. The room backstage is loud while the ladies are getting ready, and while Carolina and Julia are eating dinner, Maria and Hannah are too aware of the dresses they will wear later that they don’t take more than a bite and Emelia is just glaring at the food as if she hopes that will ease her hunger (Hannah spots Emelia sneaking a cookie from a hidden part of her bag when no one else is looking) and during the whole time, they are getting ready for the recording.

Hannah’s wavy hair gets a transform to glamorous locks, the side-parted hair lets a few locks fall over her eye but that is apparently the point according to the stylist, and once the stylist is done fighting to keeping the locks stay glorious, Hannah admits it looks really good. Especially with the flawless make-up, blue-green eyes and red lips. She looks sophisticated, and the v-neck sleeveless knee-length a-line gold sequin chiffon dress is good for her in many ways.

This outfits shows her curves in a more feminine way than any other clothes could ever do, because the dresses are knee-length long, which means it isn’t close to be too short, the v-neck isn’t too deep other than just showing off that it is something holding the dress up and all five ladies admit when admiring themselves in the dresses that even those with tiny s get a nice shape, and it’s not bare or ty or too tight because of the a-line shape of the dress. It is gorgeous, and the ladies can’t help but to show how pleased they are when looking in the mirror from time to time. The platform pumps matches the dress in colour, stylish and gorgeous in any angle, but the ladies doesn’t dare to even put them on when they are backstage as they don’t want to ruin them and get tired in their feet as they already have been wearing heels all day for the first pre-recording and previous interviews.

“Are you going to eat more?” Manager Lim asks Maria, pointing at the food on the make-up table standing next to where Maria is getting her hair done. Maria hasn’t touched it for a few minutes, but throughout their time backstage she has been eating a small bite a little now and then.

“Why? You are not allowed to touch it. It’s mine,” Maria is fast to tell him with a frown, not liking the idea of someone wanting to eat or throw the food she is savouring slowly.

“I’m just asking,” Manager Lim shrugs his shoulder and when his eyes starts to gaze through the room, Hannah turns the other direction in hope he won’t take notice of her standing two meters away from Maria with arms stretched up facing the wall. She is stretching her body and moving as if she is practicing for the song. No one never really knows what Hannah is up to, but backstage it is never any question of what the ladies are doing as they from time to time tend to do weird things – what Hannah does is a simple warm-up that they all can do, both to get a better posture of their back and to not get trouble singing later. Through the mirror she can see how the manager’s eyes are on her, slowly he approaches and she is ready to look away from him when cheers are heard by the door.

Hannah’s arms falls down right away and she turns around with a smile, her red lips gets the attention of SHINee’s Onew who just walked inside singing 5 Pieces’ new song but he stops when seeing the glorious dressed ladies, eyeing each one of them.

“I must have walked inside the wrong room… I am looking for five badass girls, they love to fight and punch people,” Onew is slowly joking while moving his hands, looking serious while the others in the room warmly greets him, no one taking his joke seriously but Julia is the only one openly laughing at him. Onew has the image of Carolina; they love to tell jokes, but no one laughs at them. Julia is a special one for this case; but she only laughs at Onew’s jokes. Hannah is amazed by how well the two of them get along, but her attention is not on Onew who walks further in to greet Manager Lim politely and comment on Julia’s look because walking in after him are Taemin and Jonghyun.

Jonghyun looks like he has stepped out from a fashion magazine wearing a v-neck long sleeve t-shirt in black that ily is showing off his muscles (of course he is holding his winter jacket in his hand to show off his muscular shoulders and biceps in the tight sleeves, and he always works jeans no matter how loose or tight they fit on his legs. While Hannah takes the sight of him in, all from how the clothes show off his body to his facial features and light blonde hair looking as soft as fur without being styled, Jonghyun is doing exactly the same on Hannah from how the dress is hugging her best parts and how the hair is styled to put the focus away from her face-shape but her red lips and blue-green eyes still stands out. By the time Hannah actually reacts on how he is looking at her, she smiles with blushing cheeks and looks at other people in the room; to see if they see her reaction and to know what they are up to. No one take notice of her, mostly because Onew and Taemin are giving the other ladies so many compliments and dropped jaws that all the focus is on them. Hannah should be among that too, but Taemin turns away from her after giving a friendly smile because Jonghyun steps up to Hannah to give her a peck on the cheek.

“Always looking so stunning,” Jonghyun breathes and gazes at her face, now able to look at her from close. Just briefly he glances down at her body too before his eyes meet hers. After three years being a couple, Hannah has never seen him look at her that way in public, and it makes her almost sweat from the heat rushing through her body like a flame.

“You don’t look so bad yourself,” she says in a horse voice, biting her lip when nervously glancing away. His gaze is something every woman should be given by a man; a gaze filled with so many things that love and affection doesn’t cover it. The other ladies would say he sees her as a goddess if they saw him looking at her that way, but Hannah just knows her whole body is wrapped around her emotions when he does that.

“Glamorous,” Taemin is nodding when coming up to Hannah, making her feel when Jonghyun’s hot gaze softens up as she gives Taemin a greeting through a hug. “Maria said you all would look good, I never thought it would be this good.”

“Wait ‘til you see the stage, handsome!” Maria calls from two meter’s distance, a hand held up in the air as if her seating position would not let them know where her voice came from.

Hannah just smiles at Taemin who smiles back. Onew is already comfortable in the room; he has sat down by the table to join Julia with some food, it seems she offered him to eat some so she won’t eat it all before the performance.

“Are you hungry?” Hannah suddenly asks to break the second-long silence between her, Jonghyun and Taemin. She glances from one handsome face to the other, aware of her short height when standing with Taemin in front of her and Jonghyun next to her; she is in slippers.

“We have eaten already,” Taemin answers friendly.

“But that doesn’t seem to stop Onew hyung,” Jonghyun chuckles with a nod to where the leader is sitting.

Maria doesn’t seem to like the three of them having a conversation without her as her hand is up in the air again when asking if the boys saw the sight of Puzzle crowding outside the building. They did, and Hannah is again blushing when they are expressing the big crowd and how crazy the fans behaved – singing [I Want a Man] – and they bluntly screamed right out when the three SHINee members sneaked inside.

While 5 Pieces get ready, the members of SHINee stay backstage with them. SNSD’s Yuri, Sooyoung, Jessica and Seohyun drops by too, their jaws dropping when seeing the outfits and jealousy hits Sooyoung when Maria shoes off those golden pumps they will wear for the performance. Maria and stylist Yong Hyun more than gladly show off pictures and more of the different dresses and prepared outfits they will use for the comeback to anyone who gives them the chance – Hannah can understand the boasting, this is the kind of style no one have ever seen 5 Pieces wear before, and even the ladies are amazed by how well they pull it off. Yuri is just boasting about SNSD’s comeback next month. To have them around puts 5 Pieces off the thought that they are nervous and excited to do their pre-recording; even if their conversations is pretty much just about the comeback.

After putting on the microphone pack at the back of the dresses, holding the glitter microphones in their hands and soon about to go start the pre-recording, 5 Pieces step outside their little room to take pictures together for SM Entertainment and their managers (their managers pretty much take pictures with the ladies’ cell phones) with the wall as background. Hannah stands in the middle, trying to hide a little between Carolina and Emelia and trying to not smile all too much. It’s not easy to not smile when Jonghyun rushes out from the room to stand next to the managers with his own cell phone; Yuri is also standing there with her cell phone. Because it is SM, the three members of SHINee and SNSD’s four members joins in for pictures too – a picture with everyone, a picture of the two girl groups, a picture of 5 Pieces and SHINee, there are some duo pictures taken both by themselves with the cell phones (as some had done earlier in the room too) and the SM photographer takes a picture of Hannah and Jonghyun together as well. Hannah tries to stand as natural as possible with her hand on his back, leaning her head automatically a little towards him, and Jonghyun has his arm around her too, firmly holding it around her waist and giving out some “charismatic” frown in one picture while he smiles in the other, while Hannah’s face looks pretty much the same in both.

Taking a glance at the pictures together, Jonghyun looks satisfied, which is good as the staff tells 5 Pieces to head to the stage after that. The others will watch from the room backstage, probably just sit there and talk while finishing off 5 Pieces’ dinner.

The stage for Music Bank is even more ravishing than the one at Inkigayo. Maybe it is the colours of gold, black and yellow, or maybe it could be even more lamps shining up the background, but the stage looks bigger with a few steps glimmering along the whole back, the instruments for the band is in front of the stairs on the sides and above it all hanging in the middle above the stage is big letters spelling out 5 PIECES is a yellow-gold with spotlights moving around to the stage and a theatrical text underneath written I Want a Man. Music Bank has set up a real back-in-time performance look for 5 Pieces, but Hannah’s fascination of the stage is interrupted by Julia wondering if the viewers won’t be blinded by this stage.

“Don’t be silly,” Emelia chuckles when passing by them to get up on the stage first, smiling brightly at the 300 fans standing and sitting in front of the stage. “What do you think of the stage?”

Hannah smiles at Julia when the audience screams brightly in liking; for liking the stage or Emelia’s golden entrance, Hannah isn’t really sure. She holds on to her microphone with both hands, liking the details of white and metallic reflective glitter they have on the microphone; it is 5 Pieces’ personal microphones for this year, each member having her own that pretty much is identical to each other beside from a tiny detail with their initial writing at the bottom. It’s barely visible unless you know it’s there. Hannah loves the microphone. It is of much better quality than other microphones and for that doesn’t have to be right by your mouth for the adlibs; it’s a great microphone, fitted for the soul sound of their voices for [I Want a Man]. And a plus with the microphone is that it is much easier to hold on to with its details than the usual microphones.

She stays on the side below the stage, not walking up just yet for three reasons; all the ladies haven’t arrived, the PD just went backstage for something so they aren’t close to start and she is not ready to face the 300 fans eyeing them from top to toe.

For some reason she can’t get too comfortable on the stage today. Is it because she is nervous? Is it because of the new concept? For a moment she thinks it is because she is embarrassed for her performance with Jonghyun, as she last night had a fan write to her on twitter that she seems more focused on her relationship with Jonghyun than her activities with 5 Pieces. It could be that lurking at the back of her mind, but Hannah is quietly standing on the side and letting Mi Young touch her hair and spray some more hairspray for the locks to not fall from their glamorous positions.

Maria comes up to the stage, walking up behind Hannah whose back is facing the corridor leading there. The leader only lets her fingers brush Hannah’s arm to get the youngest attention, her microphone held by her back when leaning forward between Hannah and Mi Young.

“Jonghyun told me to send you a message; don’t think too much,” Maria calmly says with her big eyes focused on Hannah’s. “I’m saying it because even from behind, I could see you fiddling with your fingers.”

Hannah had started to fiddle with her fingers on the microphone, and from behind it was visible by her elbows and up her arms that she was doing something. Maria noticed it as she knows the awkward movements the ladies tend to do when they are nervous, and for that she said the message from Jonghyun as she found it necessary, and after saying it she walks up on the stage with both hands held down by her sides to make sure the light dress does not fly up too much when she jumps up from one stair after the other.

With a deep breath, Hannah follows Maria; almost copying the leader’s way to get up on the stage. Julia is stopped by Mi Young to get a final touch on her hair.

“Who was at Inkigayo earlier here?” Maria asks the audience as Hannah steps up next to her, the ladies all seeing some hands held up in the air, a few answering ‘me’. “Oooh, it is a few of you. Please stray strong and supportive for this recording too.”

Maria’s sweet message receives a lot of cheers and fans ask the ladies to stay strong too, asking if they aren’t tired and commenting how good they look. Emelia says that the ladies aren’t a single bit tired because of the excitement to perform in front of their fans, but Julia is yawning when walking up on the stage so the fans still point that out for the ladies to scold Julia for showing those signs. One female fan in the audience then asks Hannah to say something as she hasn’t said anything all day (that fan had been at Inkigayo too), and for them to notice Hannah’s silence, the youngest steps shyly back a step with a smile.

“Our baby gets shy instead of talkative for this comeback,” Maria explains and holds out her hand for Hannah. Hannah smiles, takes the hand and steps up next to the leader while the fans are cheering again; because they are holding hands?

“Do you like the concept?” Hannah shyly asks the fans, not really sure of what she is supposed to say. Maria gives one big nod to show she likes the question, and that Hannah is talking because the fans seemed to want that.

“YEEES!” the crowd answers loudly.

“What do you like about it?” Hannah asks with a big smile, knowing what will happen and she laughs with her members when the fans starts shouting out ‘clothes’, ‘voices’, ‘style’, ‘everything’ and a lot of different answers for several seconds – loudly.

“Everything is likable with 5 Pieces,” Maria answers too and the crowd screams loudly in agreement while Emelia gives Maria a weird glance.

With all of the ladies being on the stage, the band also taking their positions, they start with a camera-rehearsal. While waiting for it to start, a fan suddenly blurts out ‘please sing [I’m Over You]!’ really quickly, as if it is a final request even if they will have time between the recordings and Hannah smiles when her mind registers what the fan requests. With a glance on her left side, she sees that no other lady is about to start sing, so quietly she looks down with the microphone by her lips, singing simply *I pushed you away – I’m so over you, yes – ‘Cause honestly you wanted me to be your…* and she smiles widely but shyly when the fans starts screaming in delight that she actually did it.

The PD asks if they are ready to start, and the ladies answer in choir without the microphones that they are ready.

With one camera-rehearsal, the ladies then continue with two recordings. They aren’t done after that, but after the second recording, Hannah head backstage. Between the recordings they chat with fans and get their hair and make-up checked, and this time Maria go backstage to use the bathroom so Hannah take it as a chance to sneak to the backstage room to see who is still there.

“‘You should talk more’,” Jonghyun tells her as soon as she sneaks a peek inside the room. The TV-screen backstage shows the stage so they have been watching the rehearsals so Hannah just smiles when he tells her what the fan told her earlier.

“Are you having fun back here?” Hannah asks with her eyes looking from Jonghyun to s and the members of SNSD.

“Yeah, Jonghyun just said you shine the brightest on the stage; he is enchanted when watching your rehearsal,” Jessica answers with a smile. Hannah isn’t sure if she is just joking or if that actually happened, but no one says anything about it as Sooyoung instead says that she hopes it is okay they ate up the salad that was on the table. Hannah nods. It was her salad, but she was probably not going to finish it either way so she doesn’t care about that

“Oh, and tell Carolina that the microphone catches it when she clears throughout the song,” Jonghyun suggests, “For some reason she keeps the microphone by when she does that.”

“I’ll tell her,” Hannah smiles.

She stays for about a minute before Maria drops by, and again she follows Maria’s lead to change the pumps into slippers and the two of them head back to the stage with the slippers on their feet and pumps held in their hands. Nothing can beat the weird feeling of changing high heels into slippers, how your feet automatically are on the toes before getting used to the flat ground. Jonghyun had told Maria the same advice he had given Hannah about Carolina, as if he thinks she wouldn’t dare to tell it to the mascot, so when the two ladies arrive next to the stage – Carolina is standing on the side too – they simply give her the advice just to hear Carolina had seen it when she looked through what they filmed.

 

Around midnight that night, the ladies are still in their glorious hair and make-up, but they have changed into casual sponsored clothes – Hannah is in a navy blue pocket-front chiffon blouse and skinny jeans and Maria looks stylish in a floral printed pullover and white skinny jeans. The ladies have together come to MBC Shimshimtapa radio to promote their new single; the live video feed is filming the radio DJ Shindong from Super Junior while he is introducing 5 Pieces for the ladies to make an entrance. Always so funny, just listening to his voice makes Hannah outside the booth keep a big smile in her face.

“The superstar, shining stars that opened up 2014 with their new glimmering concept. Yesterday they made a brief visit here to personally hand me their newest single; my favourite juniors that always find a new way to put viewers in a daze. Today they are our guests here at Shindong’s Shimshimtapa and the studio has been shining ever since their arrival. It’s 5 PIECES!” Shindong’s voice is suitable for radio, very easy to listen to and you are never bored by his different tones and professional excitement. “First out; like the sweetest candy for your voice and eyes, she is the Sweet Silence who enjoys driving in her sports car and sophistically drinking coffee at all times during the day – please welcome 5 Pieces’ Julia!”

Walking inside the booth, Julia lowers her head to Shindong and the cameras, coming in simply to take a seat around the table while Shindong is cheering at her entrance.

“Next is the Charismatic Rapper who says her new hair-colour makes her look kinder, but we all know of her inner joker and mischievous behaviour. It’s Em-Em-Emelia!” Shindong’s voice gets louder when saying her name and Emelia walks inside with a stiff posture and hand held up in a greeting, Shindong explaining it perfectly for those who don’t look at the viewable radio. Shindong continues; “She holds the position as the new center, the young and smiling- the original Blondie, 5 Pieces’ magnae – Hannah!”

Bowing, she walks inside with a smile as Shindong is calling out to the viewers that she is “cutie cute” greeting the camera and he continues with the fourth member while Hannah walks over to sit down on Shindong’s left side; Julia and Emelia are on his right.

“She is one of the happiest vitamins in the industry; her popular nicknames are Bright and The Weirdo. Is the multi-talented who can do anything you ask of her so we have looked forward to her return, it is 5 Pieces’ mascot Carolina!” Shindong cheers, aware of the ladies already sitting down are smiling at him. “Entering right after is the number one, only one! Lately she has been called Classic Girl after last year’s solo success but most of all she is known as the Princess of Pieces. With the body of a model, the voice of an angel, the personality of a diva, it’s Maria!”

Emelia had almost laughed loudly as it sounded like he was talking about a football game in excitement, his voice going higher and faster until he loudly said her name as Maria already had walked inside with arms held out as if everyone should worship her. Hannah starts to automatically clap her hands when Shindong finishes off by saying that it is all the members of 5 Pieces here and they had started to applause together.

“Pieces of one-” Carolina starts off and the ladies leans towards their microphones; “hello listeners of Shimshimtapa, we are 5 Pieces!”

“5 Pieces is back with a new single. It has been a while; could you all please introduce yourselves individually in a pretty way?” Shindong asks and Hannah follows his eyes over at Julia across the table.

“Yes. Hello, I am the sweet as candy member of 5 Pieces, Julia,” the sweet one says in a sweet voice that gets a lot of praise from Shindong who says just how sweet her voice is to listen at during this late hour and Julia is just smiling brightly behind the microphone. Shindong asks Emelia to continue.

“Listeners of Shindong Senior’s Shimshimtapa; hello I’m the pretty rapper Emelia,” the rapper says in her low tone and tries to pull off the pretty tone at the same time but the ladies just laughs at her and Emelia is smirking.

“Emelia, how do you usually do your greeting?” Shindong is chuckling at her weird tone.

“Wazzup Shimshimtapa!” Emelia coolly responds right away, not minding the laugh of the others; her voice still low and dark but instead of pretty it is charismatic. “I’m the coolest lady of 5 Pieces; EM!”

“WOAAA!” Shindong is cheering loudly and clapping his hands. “Definitely the rapper of 5 Pieces… Now, Hannah?”

“Happy New Year everyone, I’m 5 Pieces’ Hannah.”

“Simple and cute,” Shindong comments and says Carolina’s name with a laugh as Hannah had leaned away from the microphone while covering to not let out a laugh at his comment. “Carolina?”

 “I hope everyone’s start of 2014 has started brightly, I am 5 Pieces’ entertaining mascot Carolina, thank you!” Carolina says in her own unique way and Shindong laughs at it before motioning for Maria to continue.

“With soul and style, 5 Pieces is back with the New Year: I am 5 Pieces’ Maria, the responsible leader, and it’s very nice to be back at Shimshimtapa with Shindong Senior, please listen well tonight,” Maria introduces herself as well as showing her leader skills and also her pretty voice. Hannah almost claps her hands with Shindong when he praises her and the ladies.

“Yi Yun Yeong says, ‘woah, 5 Pieces shines up any place. Shindong-ah, remember to not look right into the sun’. Kim Ji Gyeong says, ‘it’s been a while, the blonde ladies look happy to be back and Shindong Oppa looks happy to have them back. I’m so happy to hear the pretty voices of 5 Pieces~’. Woaaaah, everyone keeps mentioning me in their messages here,” Shindong says as he reads up from the message board. “Han Jun Jeong says, ‘kkkk whenever 5 Pieces make a comeback they make it with style, your song will be number one this time too! 5P Fighting!!’”

“Fighting!” Carolina repeats cheerfully.

“Oh, so 5 Pieces expect to win first on the music programs?” Shindong asks, starting out the show with a question he got through the fan’s message.

“It would be fun if we could win, but we always expect to have fun with our fans when making a comeback,” Carolina answers and Shindong nods at her. Hannah is listening even if she looks down at her hands hiding under the table where she is checking the latest text message she just received from Jonghyun. It has nothing else but a heart and the words ‘cutie cute’ written in it, but that is Jonghyun letting her know he is listening to the radio because those words were exactly what Shindong said during Hannah’s entrance. It makes her smile but she doesn’t write an answer as she tries to stay focused when Shindong continues to talk.

“It’s such a typical idol answer,” he tells Carolina with a smile and the ladies laugh; Hannah smiles. “But it is okay because everyone knows 5 Pieces only says good things. You know when winning at music programs, there is often a celebration made for the encore. A lot of idols do it. If you win with [I Want a Man], what kind of celebration will you do?”

“Are we making a promise here?” Carolina asks and Shindong points over his computer screen at her and friendly tells her she is fast to catch up and the ladies are joking and cheering at the thought of doing a celebration on stage.

“What will you do for your fans if you won first place?” Shindong repeats the question and looks at the ladies, his eyes stopping at Emelia who is the first to say that Hannah and Carolina will do an aegyo duet.

“Hul!” Hannah laughs and Maria hits the table from laughing at Hannah using that word.

“Ah, Hannah doesn’t seem to like that,” Shindong laughs at her reaction too and Hannah quietly apologizes as it is a slang word in Korean. “But aegyo is something … hm… it’s something you do a lot, you can even do it here.”

Hannah almost puts her hand up in the air, but drops it right away to instead suggest; “Maria can do the opening of [I Want a Man].”

“Oh!” Shindong looks to like it and he points around at the girls. “What do you say about that? How does the opening go like?”

“It’s mine and Hannah’s part,” Carolina starts to explain before in a low tone doing the opening adlib. “But much stronger.”

Shindong gives out a sound and claps his hands, looking excited and Hannah is smiling as Emelia and Julia are imitating Carolina’s explanation. Hannah misses being next to Julia; they would always do those things together, but with the new positions, Hannah is in the middle and for that usually next to either Emelia or Carolina at radio programs. Maria agrees that she can do that; something no one else has heard and she will not give a demonstration now at the radio even if Shindong suggests it, and he likes that she declines to show it and says the ladies are very professional when it comes to not give away too much. Emelia says; “So listeners, if 5 Pieces win on a music program with [I Want a Man], Maria will do the opening by herself. If you want to see it, you know what to do.” She receives praise and applause from the others when giving off a sweet voice, and Shindong is laughing again at her voice, this time commenting that it sounds like she is threatening the listeners and reminding people that it is a viewable show tonight so viewers could have seen the stare Emelia gave the camera.

“We will listen to a song before we will continue our talk with the five ladies of 5 Pieces. Carolina, could you please introduce the song we will listen to?” Shindong has calmed down when he says that.

“Yes. The song is the second song from our single, it is called [I’m Over You]. Please listen to it well and we’ll be back shortly,” Carolina says with her DJ ability, and Shindong’s praising sound from the throat is cut off from the radio as the music begins to play, but for those in the room they take off the headphones to continue talking with Shindong. Julia is fast to play with the camera, but Hannah is nodding when Shindong says that it’s easy to hear Carolina has been a DJ for a while – she was a DJ for MBC a while ago, maybe for a year, and she grew amazing at it.

“Are you going home to sleep after this?” Shindong asks the ladies when seeing Maria stretch her arms up in the air while yawning.

“We have practice after this,” Hannah answers. For some reason, now when they aren’t live on radio, she feel like she has to talk since she is the closest to the DJ – but it’s Super Junior’s Shindong, someone they have known for five years, so it isn’t that overly politeness she need when talking to other people when working.

“Ah… I’m going home to sleep,” Shindong smiles at them. “You’re practicing the song some more or something?”

“We are attending a festival in Beijing tomorrow,” Emelia answers on his other side, “so we will stay up all night practicing that.”

Shindong shows he understand what she is talking about; he is, after all, also an idol. Listening to the song for a few seconds, he comments that this is the one Hannah wrote, pointing a finger lightly at her. “Yeah… But I wrote it a long time ago – I know people are commenting it is based on my relationship with either Jonghyun or Honggi, but it’s not,” Hannah answers, finding herself defending the lyrics of the song with him just bringing up her name linked to it; because everywhere they go, the question followed by that Hannah wrote the lyrics to [I’m Over You] is to ask if it is based on a real relationship she had. It’s not. Shindong nods and comments it is a good song – a different song from what usually is heard – but he does not take it personal that she filled out the answer, even if he lightly noticed it. Hannah didn’t sound mad or annoyed; she just wanted to make sure that question didn’t come up.

“It’s really weird having you five looking like that,” Shindong then laughs, moving some of his papers when looking down in front of him, smiling when he looks back up at the ladies. Julia is still focusing on the camera, Emelia is having attention to both Shindong and Julia, then Maria is still stretching up her arms, Carolina is looking at her own papers and Hannah is the only one fully focused on their DJ. “All of you look to be taken out from some old movie or something, but more colourful.”

Automatically Hannah thinks of the red lips she hasn’t removed from the pre-recording earlier, and she smiles at his compliment – because it is a compliment.

“Ah, Oppa, you do know it is just us who can hear you?” Maria jokes from her seat, smiling at him and Shindong laughs as he knows they aren’t live – she made it sound like he usually only compliments them if it is live.

“But it suits you – all of you – this new concept,” Shindong compliments again and Hannah does as her members; thanking him. They like being praised for their concepts, especially from a senior who definitely would not lie just to make them feel better. Hannah and Carolina are the only two calling him Senior, as the other three members started to call him Oppa a long time ago; mostly because Super Junior had asked them to, but Hannah and Carolina are the two sticking to what they have been taught and they have been taught to stay polite both on- and off camera.

They talk a little more, mostly about the comeback because Shindong is interested in that, and then continue with the radio program once the song finishes.

“Kwan Dong Hyun says ‘Carolina has good sense on the radio, and Emelia tries too much to fit the new concept, 5 Pieces is hilarious to listen to kkkkkkkk’, Kim Eun Hye says ‘I looooove 5 Pieces new songs, your voices come out beautifully and I can’t wait for your first win to hear Maria’s version of the opening, I WANT A MAN, FIGHTING!’ Ooh, our listeners take notice of our conversations here,” Shindong has read some comments again when welcoming listeners back to Shimshimtapa with 5 Pieces. “During the song break, I talked a bit with the ladies and it seems like those who watch the viewable radio at the moment was surprised to see that Hannah spoke more during the break than during the live.”

“Ah…” Hannah giggles in a low tone, smiling at her members commenting about it and Shindong continues to say;

“Usually Hannah is quiet in the beginning and talks more later. She is a lot like SHINee’s Taemin, who always is quiet when he comes here but at the time he is going to leave he is very talkative.”

Hannah laughs at him comparing her to Taemin – it isn’t the first time. Shindong asks if Hannah has something to say about that and the youngest meet Emelia’s eyes before glancing at Shindong. “Um… I was actually told by a fan today to talk more, so I think I should work on that,” she answers.

“Oh, you were told by a fan?” Shindong laughs at that and Hannah says ‘yes’ but Maria is fast to answer.

“Hannah has gotten quieter lately,” Maria tries to explain, “She has become the one who quietly listens to others and simply nods along.”

“I have always been like this,” Hannah is giggling at Maria explaining Hannah’s behaviour and Maria’s talk would probably go really well if Hannah didn’t come with that comment because everyone burst out laughing. Shindong laughs lower than the others to be able to ask Hannah if she will talk a little more now when fans have asked her to. “I will definitely try to not be as quiet as before just because our fans ask that.”

“But…” Shindong seem to remember something, slowly starting to say; “Doesn’t Hannah talk a lot usually?”

“Not during interviews or promotions,” the ladies all seem to agree and Emelia continues, “Hannah speaks a lot when we are in Japan because she is told to, but when we are in Korea, all the members can answer the questions and she likes to let the rest of us answer.”

“Because she is the youngest she lets the older ladies take the attention,” Shindong is nodding, understanding what they are saying. Hannah keeps smiling, her hands hugging the cell phone nervously under the table as she receives another text message but she doesn’t look at it yet, smiling at her members instead. She has had her cell phone on silent the whole day to not be interrupted when working. “A thing I want to bring up about 5 Pieces’ comeback is your positions. For the past five years, you have had the same standing positions for photos and interviews, right? Smaller group can do that.”

“Super Junior can’t,” Carolina jokes as Super Junior have too many members to have usual positions.

“That’s our biggest problem, ha-ha. But your positions have changed now I noticed,” Shindong finishes off saying, blinking at the ladies.

“Yes, they did,” Maria says with a nod.

When no one says anything else, Shindong laughs and asks them a question; “Why did your position change?”

“The company didn’t like the previous positions,” Emelia says coolly, “because the shortest was in one side and the tallest in one side.”

“You changed positions to get a better height then?” Shindong looks impressed at the reason.

“Our visual height, yes,” Emelia nods, “so we have the shortest in the middle because-”

“Hey…” Hannah mumbles in the middle of Emelia’s sentence, not stopping Emelia to continue talking but Julia laughs at Hannah’s depressed tone.

As the conversation continues, Hannah sneaks a peak at the three messages she has received from Jonghyun. In the first message he writes ‘talk more’, in the second it says ‘your voice is as pretty as you’ and in the third he has written ‘short cutie’. She grimaces a little when reading it, ending up writing back at him to stop bothering her when she is working, writing it as a joke, and a few seconds later he writes back that no one tells her to look (at his messages). It makes her look back up at the others as Shindong changes the subject.

“So, 5 Pieces is the first comeback of 2014 with their pre-single [I Want a Man] – congratulations! It was released yesterday but has been the only topic people seem to be interested at this time. Julia, could you describe the single for our listeners? And what does it mean with pre-single?”

“The pre-single is a warm-up for 5 Pieces’ fourth full-length album that we are working on,” Julia starts to say and continues to explain the song and concept of [I Want a Man], but Hannah isn’t listening to all of it as she has heard it too much already, and she just waits until she hears Julia ending the explanation.

“I personally felt very blessed yesterday when 5 Pieces dropped by to hand us their single,” Shindong is saying, “and you all just came from a performance right?”

“Yes. We came straight from a recording, that’s why we all look glamorous,” Maria answers from the seat furthest away from Shindong but he loves the way the ladies talk and for that laughs lightly at her use of “glamorous”.

“What people noticed the most with your comeback, before the music video came out, are your hair colours? Emelia looks the best in blonde, don’t you think?” Shindong continues with a polite hand motion at Emelia, Maria is the one laughing at the question. “She has said so herself, that she fits the new hair-colour.”

“Yeah… we let them imagine that,” Maria says in a soft voice but she is smiling brightly and Emelia just mutters in the microphone that she looks the best in blonde.

“Ah, you let the members imagine they look the best in blonde? Maria and Hannah are the only ones who were blonde before, right?”

Hannah is also the only one nodding without saying a thing, letting the other ladies give their comments on Shindong’s questions. She smiles when Emelia is smiling at her from across the table, the rapper seems to notice Hannah’s silence and because of that, Hannah leans a little forward to give out a simple ‘mm’ in agreement.

“Honestly then, Hannah,” Shindong turns to his left to look at Hannah whose eyes grow at the attention, “What is your opinion on all five members becoming blonde?”

“Um… I think the members fit the colours,” Hannah quietly answers with a smile, seeing Julia lean back and point at herself for Hannah to say something about her without getting the other’s attention. “They seem confident in their hair-colours and seem to forget all the blonde-jokes they have been telling me…” She smiles wider at the laughter around the table at her comment; Shindong’s laugh is heard among the unique laughter of 5 Pieces and he laughs when saying that Hannah is 5 Pieces’ original Blondie.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 02nd: 5 Pieces Is Preparing Fourth Album To Be Released Later This Year

Headline 02nd: Rain Compliments 5 Pieces On Radio By Saying “They Went From idol To Artists With [Daze]”

Headline 02nd: 5 Pieces’ New Standing Position Is To Fix Their Height Visual

Headline 02nd: Listeners Amazed At 5 Pieces’ Live Singing Skills At Radio When Singing [I Want a Man] Live

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Comment please~~ X. devonalias