Chapter 35 - Seconds of Decisions

Youngest of Pieces: Five Years in History (9)

“Didn’t we look to be too much?” Hannah can hear Tiffany giggling with Carolina when watching the clip that just aired live for KBS Music Festival of 5 Pieces and SNSD standing backstage, the members mixed up and standing in their pretty opening dresses. They all were smiling and silly when talking about beauty and who wears the prettiest dress. Seohyun and Hannah did a challenge in aegyo too, which both Tiffany and Carolina squeals over when coming to.

Hannah is sitting by herself now while waiting for their next time on screen, still wearing that pretty and y one-shoulder mesh panel bodycon dress. She is looking through pictures they have taken backstage. After the opening, she had taken some pictures with her members and SNSD, a picture their stylist had taken of Hannah in this dress. She has uploaded one picture of herself on Instagram, just showing her outfit that she admits to like, and a three-picture set of 5 Pieces in one picture and two pictures mixed with Hannah and the others in the room. Idol Collaboration, Maria has performed with Jessica and Sunny, challenging Julia and Yuri. So the two ladies of 5 Pieces are in those clothes, while SNSD has changed to their [I Got A Boy] outfit and the other three members of 5 Pieces are still gloriously wearing dresses.

It is already the second half. Hannah has been unsocial with everyone, just because outside this room it is too much talk and gossip about her. But that hasn’t stopped some from coming in here, mostly talking to everyone else but EXO and SHINee are hard to keep away from, especially since they are all close.

After about ten minutes in on the second half, idols are gathered in one room backstage for a segment Hannah doesn’t understand. She only knows they are all gathered there for a segment. And she walks there with Emelia, joined by some members of EXO. So when entering the room, they walks furthest down in the corner. Idols are coming inside, awkwardly greeting each other and Hannah turns to the back wall where there are some mirrors, checking how she is looking when she saw 4 Minute entering the room; anything to pretend she can’t see them. There is a table in the middle of the room, idols sitting around it. Those in the back are standing up or sitting on make-up tables by the wall where Hannah and Emelia stands, Infinite stands along the other wall, EXO is sitting in front of them and around half the table and in the back, mixing up with K.Will, 5 Pieces and SHINee, while Secret and 4 Minute sits in front of the table closest to the cameras. Beast sits next to EXO by the other end of the table, A Pink behind them and more on that side. It takes about fifteen minutes to gather everyone in there for the segment.

“Come here,” Jonghyun waves for Hannah and Emelia, patting the table in front of him. He is sitting on the armrest of the two chairs D.O and Kai are sitting on; Taemin does the same on Kai’s other armrest, sitting closer to where Emelia is standing. Hannah shakes her head, smiling as she is not going to sit on the table. Jonghyun points over at Key, who sits at the other end of the table with Nicole – sitting on the table.

“I’m not going to block your view,” Hannah tells Jonghyun. He smirks to answer, and D.O’s big eyes are popped up behind Jonghyun’s back.

“You want to sit on his lap then?” Taemin jokes with her. He and Kai both laugh hoarsely when Hannah grimaces at them, but she smiles too. Emelia is more open than Hannah, starting to stretch over the table as if she is going to lie over it and wearing a long dress makes it difficult but several people in the room bursts out laughing at her, but everyone quiets down as they go on live TV, the backstage-host starting to talk. Hannah hits Emelia on the and helps her up right before the camera views past them. Julia is sitting behind them next to Onew, the two of them in their own world talking about shapes you can make with your hands in the shadows. They are a weird mix.

A TV-screen in front of everyone where the host is standing shows some songs, candidates for something, and Hannah quietly asks no one in particular what it is for. Jonghyun gives out a laugh, a short but clear laugh, and Kai looks up at her with a question-mark in his forehead.

“You don’t know what this is?” he asks, obviously confused because Hannah debuted five years ago, so she should know. Hannah pouts at him and Jonghyun leans over his backrest to reach her.

“KBS has Top Artist Performance Award, the only award, which is a huge award for the music festival as it gives award to the artist who has been given the recognition for being the best performer this year,” Jonghyun explains as clearly as if he had been reading it. “PSY won last year, Beast the year before, then SNSD won once too.”

“Oh…”

“Aah,” Jonghyun nods at her with a smile, and Hannah smiles back, nudging his shoulder with a low ‘thank you’. “Anything for you,” he winks and Hannah is fast to look at K.Will behind them, but he is just smiling widely, pretending he didn’t see it.

Jonghyun sits back up when the host asks EXO how it is to be nominated, and he is helping the juniors to sort out who will answer by giving the microphone to Suho standing behind him. Suho says a few awkward words, not knowing what to say, and then the host asks SHINee so Jonghyun is given the microphone and Hannah is nodding in agreement when he says EXO will probably win among the nominees. K.Will is asked and Hannah automatically leans away from him to not be caught on camera, while Onew and Julia is clearly seen sitting behind him laughing at what he says.

“And in the back, trying to hide, 5 Pieces,” the host says and K.Will who was about to give the microphone back to Jonghyun hands it to Hannah who hands it to Emelia. Chanyeol pulls Chen down towards the table to not let him sit in the way for them to be visible, and Emelia pulls the microphone back to Hannah when the host asks who they except to win this year. Emelia does it with a smile at Taemin who had suggested it too because Hannah two minutes ago didn’t even know why they were in this room, and they are watching her with amusement as Hannah glances at her members around the room in search for help. Taemin whispers she should say SHINee, and Hannah smiles widely towards the host.

“I do think either SHINee or EXO will win. But everyone is really good so I’ll cheer on everyone,” Hannah shyly answers, seeing Jonghyun dressed in pink smiling so widely at her that all his teeth are shown. She would never mention 5 Pieces who are on the list, basically because 5 Pieces would never win at a New Year award show. Though they have won at MAMA and other award shows, this is one award for the music festival; which means a Korean artist receives it. The girls aren’t even upset at that; that’s how it is being Swedish girls in South Korea.

She hurries to give the microphone to Emelia when she is done talking, not wanting to hold it, and from across the room Maria is looking proud that she said something good. She stays shyly in the back until the segment is over, and she pouts awkwardly at Taemin when he stands up in front of her.

“That was horrible,” she tells him.

“You looked nervous. Suho looked more comfortable,” Taemin teases her and Hannah pouts even more.

“I think you looked adorable,” Jonghyun says when pushing his way past Kai, smiling widely at Hannah.

“’I think you looked adorable, like you always do’,” Taemin imitates Jonghyun as a joke, just to be hit in the back by him and Hannah laughs at them.

 

5 Pieces is the last to perform. But the time there is far from simple. They need to change into their [Daze] outfits.

If Hannah said she loved her dress, she completely adores her [Daze] outfits. She is wearing a pair of black skinny jeans, words written on them with both good and bad meanings, but they all are things she has once or many times been called – the uniqueness with 5 Pieces [Daze] outfits over the year is that the words they use to writ eon their bodies or clothes are personal, things they one or more have been called during their lives, just to show that everyone is being judged to the worse. To the skinny jeans she is wearing a ripped top, and when saying ripped, it is like no fabric left, but it looks completely awesome with a black cropped top underneath. The skinny jeans have a high waist, so she still doesn’t reveal too much skin, and with the ripped top over her hip doesn’t look too big either. And she is wearing black ankle boots with 8cm heels. Maria’s outfit is flawless; black ripped leggings showing off her long legs and a white oversize top with ¾ sleeves, a long and wide collar showing off the cropped top she is wearing too.

While getting ready they enjoy some of the performances on the TV-screen in the room, something they have kept an eye on all late evening. But still, they are more interested in Lee Hyori and their SM Town friends’ performances than any others; beside from Carolina, who loves everyone.

Being the last to perform gives you a lot of pressure. Especially as rookies start off the show, and the big artists ends it. The only reason 5 Pieces ends the show is because they are foreigners; a little different treatment, maybe what’s why Ji Hyun doesn’t like Hannah. Hannah isn’t too bothered by it anymore, because her members had stood up for her. Like she often thinks, she is grateful for her members. But Emelia and Julia are still upset at each other. Hannah talks briefly with Jonghyun and Onew about that, because the ladies tell her to not think too much about it since they fight all the time. Hannah is still upset that they fight before a performance; not making up. She isn’t even clear what they got angry at each other over, other than missing their homes.

With everyone else done performing, it is eventually 5 Pieces’ turn. They are nervous, because of how weird their day has been like. Because two of them aren’t talking to each other, because Hannah punched someone in the stomach, because another Swedish artist working in Asia spoke badly about them (to their faces) and they are now taking on the stage to perform a song they think should have a better mood to perform for.

But the stage is prepared, everyone is waiting, and 5 Pieces is holding on to their microphones.

The crowd is prepared too when the hosts introduces the final performer of the night, and the spotlights shines up on 5 Pieces standing at the centre of the stage, in their positions. A cheer bursts out by the sight of them.

*DAZZLE… STUN… DAZE…*

[Carolina] *5 Pieces*

[Maria]*When I WAKE UP in the morning, see myself in the mirror

I can only see the faults in my face, the difference from me to you*

The crowd was chanting along as soon as Carolina said their name, chanting during Maria’s part while the ladies dance. Hannah is confident in their performance, in their choreography and live singing, and now she is sure of the crowd as well. They cheer as the song continues. But she is still nervous for some reason. It feels too formal with the stage, with the audience sitting down far in front of the stage, and she is actually longing for the remix of the song. She dances and sings through the first part of the song, does the chorus with her ladies and hearing the audience loudly chanting along. The remix starts before Carolina’s part begins right after the chorus, a little instrumental remix where 5 Pieces part ways on the stage. Carolina cheers for everyone to stand up before she rushes down the few steps down the stage, starting to sing with the ladies following. The crowd stands up, following the rhythm to the song as 5 Pieces is approaching, hands are stretched out and the cameras are capturing it all. Hannah follows behind Carolina, stopping up between the rows to dance a little and they do the verses there until the second chorus is about to begin.

5 Pieces freezes into poses as Emelia says *DAZZLE… STUN… DAZE…* and Hannah smiles, trying to hold in laughter as some fans next to her stops in poses too – and she is loving the fact that the camera seems to capture the crowd posing – and Emelia cheerfully adds *STOP for a second. Isn’t it dazzling?* before the ladies starts to hurry back to the stage while Carolina sings a short line and they all begins to sing the pre-chorus when starting to dance on the stage. The crowd stays standing, and that is exactly what they wanted; a lively audience.

Their song eventually comes to an end, Hannah pulls a little in her ripped top while looking down to make sure she pulls right, their performance has ended and as if it is a normal music program everyone is coming up the stage for the ending. The hosts joins them on the stage when the song ends and 5 Pieces walks to the back as all artists are going to gather for the ending. She takes a deep breath, waving her hair behind her shoulders but then pulls it to lie down over her chest when following Julia to the side to leave the microphone, both breathing heavily from the performance. They both bow when Beast walks by them. SHINee was of course first on stage. Leaving the microphones, the ladies meet up in the back, staying behind all of the other artists. Maria does it too, smiling at her ladies when saying they are doing a pretty decent ending of 2013; with [Daze] and their clothes, and all of them being blonde. To mention their hair-colour, Hannah glances at her members, still not used to it but she thinks they all look good.

There is a lot of talking at the front, sponsors being mentioned and the winner about to be announced. Hannah steps up behind Julia to keep a bigger distance from 4 Minute that she saw also is in the back, listening to Emelia ramble about some fans she spotted having a blast in the audience during the performance and Carolina saying she had gotten a good response too – they all got a great response from the audience for their performance, it feels great.

“5 Pieces?”

Beast’s Doojoon turns around at them, saying they are called to the front. Confused, artists make way while the hosts are looking around for 5 Pieces. Hannah quietly asks her members what it is about (always clueless for what is going on), staying behind Julia, and Emelia says they are interviewing people about the New Year – they tend to do that. Hannah opens and nods, understanding and for that not worried as Maria gets up on their right side where the hosts are to receive a microphone after being asked a question. Hannah slides her arms around Julia, resting her chin on Julia’s shoulder, both Emelia and Carolina standing on their left side. Fans are cheering loudly, even screaming, and Julia takes Hannah’s hand to wave at them.

Maria looks confused though, as she is given the award and microphone and she just looks clueless at the host, her face-expression asking what he is doing. Her mind goes on about presenting the award but the black-dressed short man next to her is the one doing that so she is completely clueless. Only Emelia seem to notice that among the ladies, because Hannah has Julia’s head in the way, the two of them still looking at the audience, and Carolina is looking behind them where SNSD is making a lot of movements.

“You won…” the host quietly tells her, not knowing how she could’ve missed that.

“What?” Maria asks in the microphone, staring at him. Clueless. The audience screams even more at her reaction, and 5 Pieces.

“5 Pieces is this year’s winner…”

Hannah leans her head back, hiding but looking behind Julia to see Maria and the host with big eyes, not understanding what is happening. Both Emelia and Carolina drops their jaws, quietly waiting for a better explanation: five gaping ladies look at the hosts. Behind the host, Jonghyun and Key are both applauding, and Hannah glances behind them to see everyone else applauding too; how come they didn’t notice that when walking up to the front?

We won?” Maria asks the host. Definitely clueless – no, this is impossible for Maria, she can’t grasp it.

“Yes,” he laughs, motioning to the audience and asks her to say a few words.

Maria just gapes. Hannah can understand her but she turns towards Carolina on the left instead, asking what it is. Carolina turns her head, still gaping. “We won…” she whispers. They hadn’t even noticed the confetti shooting up and falling over them, and Hannah’s arms are dropping from Julia’s waist.

5 Pieces can’t win, she thinks, we aren’t Koreans. We aren’t… That’s impossible.

Maria suddenly bows at the man who had given her the award, the presenter, shaking his hand too as it slowly sinks in to her what just happened, and she turns to her members while the hosts tells her to say some words. All this is just happening within a minute, 5 Pieces’ faces when not understanding their song is the song of the year and while everyone around them are cheering for that, they just gapes at first. Seeing Maria look at them, Hannah gets all teary, her lip trembling because Maria’s face is doing just the same thing. 5 Pieces, winning award at a music festival.

“Um… first of all…” Maria starts to say, looking away from the ladies but takes a step closer to them. Her eyes are huge, not believing this while the crowd is cheering. “I want to thank KBS, for treating us so well and also for this award. This year … has been our fifth year in Korea, so thank you all for that. I think we should thank all our staff, our managers and stylists, Lee Sooman, SM Entertainment…” Her voice starts trembling and while tears starts rolling down Maria’s pretty face, the crowd start chanting for them to not cry. “Also to our families, and…”

She keeps thanking people; Hannah can’t hear half of it. She is still hiding behind Julia, after being hugged by her friend she is still hiding there, lowering her head as the tears falls hearing their leader’s voice but she is fast to turn around and awkwardly bow with a hand covering in hope to stop tears from uncontrollably fall down, just about to look at the pink-dressed boyfriend of hers when the hosts holds out his hand, asking Hannah to say a few words too. She gets surprised to be talked to, to get the attention but still slinks up behind Maria, hiding half of her body behind the leader who tries to cry behind the shelter of the award.

The host holds the microphone out for Hannah, who blinks away the tears when looking out over the audience, most of them standing with hands held towards their chests as if they are moved.

“Thanks to all our fans, Puzzle, thank you so much for these past five years and for this award that we share with you, because we couldn’t have done this without all pieces. Thank you,” Hannah bows and steps back, hurrying to finish her tiny speech because the tears wells up inside her and when getting behind Maria, Julia is the one getting the microphone and Hannah holds out her arms when Emelia hurries over to her, the two of them hugging and crying even more.

The hosts are heard mentioning the encore and keeps talking, and as soon as Emelia let’s go of Hannah, the youngest covers her face behind her hands, not understanding at all this day. It was been one of the weirdest days of the year, so many up and downs and fights and mind-problems. She turns around to start bowing to people again as she can hear the voices of SNSD from one side congratulating the ladies, and the scent of one specific person goes through her stuffed nose when a pair of arms wraps around her.

“This time you are the one crying on stage, in my comfort,” Jonghyun whispers with a smile at her ear, and Hannah chuckles in the tears. He holds on to her shoulders in the hug, hiding his face in her hair.

“It doesn’t stop,” Hannah whines in a low voice.

“Don’t stop then,” he jokes, only letting go of her when the hosts have said their goodbyes and the encore will begin.

Hannah looks after her members, seeing them next to her bowing to the crowd and she smiles when stepping up to the hand stretched out to her, holding on to Carolina’s sweaty hand when together giving a bow as the music begins. The sound of their music and the cheers from their SM Town friends behind them, Hannah isn’t sure if she is crying or laughing, all she know is that 5 Pieces are not just blonde, they are all having the same shocked overly emotional response to what is happening.

“Really, really doing the impossible,” Tiffany cries out happily when embracing Hannah quickly, repeating the same thing when embracing Julia too. The ladies all have the same reactions, confusion, gaping, tears and laughter, “The first non-Korean artists in the history to win at this kind of event. I’m so proud over you.”

Maria is already going crazy to the song along with SHINee, members of EXO and SNSD going crazy around on the stage too while all the other artists are heading off, cheering but still walking off the stage. Hannah turns away from the crowd, the tears not stopping, and she is given another hug who she doesn’t know who it is until she looks up and sees Sunny. Sunny hushes at her crying, trying to comfort her while Maria is loudly crying and singing at once, making a mess that she will not have any regrets over. Sunny is like a mother, wiping Hannah’s tears. Jessica comer over too, leaning towards Sunny when helping to wipe some tears and mention she is ruining the make-up. Carolina is heard given a sudden shout, because just now, it is originally Hannah who is supposed to sing, but she hasn’t been given a microphone yet and is busy being comforted so Jonghyun and Baekhyun (who has the microphone) took her part instead, including the dancing. Well, not Hannah’s dancing, just crazy dancing.

The crowd goes wild over the encore, over 5 Pieces’ reaction, over the other artists dancing along. Hannah joins her members when Julia gets her, heading out to the edge of the stage where 5 Pieces are going wild to their own song, dancing and singing roughly. Jonghyun gets up behind Hannah, giving her the microphone and showing a proud smile. All cameras have turned off now, but the encore continues.

Hannah’s next part, she does sing, and she overdoes it too because Jonghyun is doing the same thing next to her with Taemin. Getting a little behind for the ladies to shine, Hannah receives a hug from Kai too, before they both starts dancing to the chorus and Emelia walks up in front of them, her back facing the crowd while she dances the same thing and it is just really fun. The crying becomes laughing, but a few seconds now and then during the encore, Hannah bursts out crying again, not knowing that the other members does the exact same thing.

This is unbelievable!

Maria jumps with her arms around Hannah, laughing and crying to the youngest, cheering loudly. They have really done something impossible. They have opened up something new, something not even KBS had expected. The crowd is so loud. Not until the song is about to come to an end, 5 Pieces do a group-hug. Laughing and shouting their name loudly when Maria asks who they are, crying at the same time.

It’s not about getting an award. It’s doing something no one else has done before; doing something that will make a difference and change the future. It’s doing something that, according to up-coming articles, only 5 Pieces could make possible. They go down on their knees to the crowd, thanking them with all of their hearts with the biggest bow and the audience is crying loudly with them.

Going backstage when they are done with the encore, they are congratulated anew by a bunch of people. In their dressing-room, stylist Mi Young is crying wildly when hugging them all, waving her hand in her face as she can’t believe they just did that.

 

Believing life is wonderful doesn’t last long for Hannah. In the van on the way home, Manager Lee driving them says Manager Lim had said Jonghyun can’t come over tonight. It has been planned since yesterday when they were at the airport, when Jonghyun had wanted to surprise her at home with a movie-night but couldn’t since she was going to be in Japan. The managers had agreed to it, so Hannah sitting in the very back of the van screams out in shock that they can’t do that.

“It’s your punishment for what you did to 4 Minute’s member,” Manager Lee answers, “The boss’ orders.”

“He can’t do that!” Hannah bursts out. “It’s my private life!”

“You should’ve thought of that before you punched a female idol in the stomach then!”

“I hate you!” Hannah screams from her lungs at him, almost throwing Carolina’s pillow at him, but doesn’t since he is driving.

“Hey, cry-baby, I can watch a movie with you instead,” Emelia mentions with a smirk from the passenger-seat, looking at the back. Hannah grabs Carolina’s pillow and throws it through the van in anger, the manager shouting right away that he is driving and Emelia laughs evilly.

“But I promised Jonghyun!” Hannah whines loudly in the back, facing the ceiling for her voice to be louder. Julia gives the pillow back to Carolina.

“I thought you didn’t promise things you can’t keep,” Manager Lee mentions from the driving-seat, and Julia suddenly turns around from the seat behind Emelia’s.

“You really promised him?”

Hannah whines, hitting her feet on the floor like a child. “I promised because he begged…” She whines even more at the manager, but he shakes his head and says it is not his decision.

“Augh… I hate that whining,” Maria mumbles in front of Hannah.

“Maria,” Hannah whines, lightly shaking the seat. “Make him come! I want to see Jonghyun!”

She really had hoped that with such a dreamy ending of their day, it could only get better. And to be told she can’t meet her boyfriend when they basically have no time to meet at all, she can’t help but to become the child her members knows her to be. And she goes overboard to let them know she is not going to stop until someone helps her to change their manager’s mind.

“Oppa,” Emelia is heard saying in a low voice at the front to their manager, “the cry-baby wants some bed time with her boyfriend. Can’t you give it to her? She will be even worse tomorrow otherwise.”

“YA!” Hannah bursts out, peeking out behind Maria’s seat.

“WHAT?!” Emelia shouts at her, suddenly angry. “You want to have after not having it for weeks. You go insane without it, yes, we know!” She turns to the manager. “You decide, boyfriend in the apartment or the cry-baby running off to some nasty love-hotel.”

“Okay, that’s going overboard,” Manager Lee points a finger at Emelia. “And I can’t change the decision, only Manager Lim can. No boyfriend tonight.”

Hannah gets quiet, pouting and looking angry out the window. When coming home, she hits her manager on the arm several of times until she walks off without a word. He follows them up to the apartment, gets inside the hall to drop off a bag and remind them to go straight to bed. Hannah is halfway up the stairs to the second floor.

“You can’t keep me from seeing him!” she shouts when hearing the manager is about to leave.

Manager Lee stops by the door, worriedly looking at Julia who is the only one left in the hall. “I will be responsible if she goes against what Manager Lim said,” he tells her. Julia glances up from her shoes at him.

“So?”

So? You think she shouldn’t be punished for what she did?”

“Forbidding her to see her boyfriend… Oppa, she is 21 years old, not 14,” Julia looks at him in a matter-of-fact way. “There are other ways to punish her. As weird as she is, you can punish her by not letting her go to the gym or something like that.”

“She doesn’t even have time to go to the gym,” he mentions. Julia just shrugs her shoulders, walking inside the hall as she really doesn’t care whether Jonghyun comes or not – whether Hannah is punished or not. Because the ladies think Ji Hyun deserved it.

Hannah is in her room, falling down on the bed to give out an annoyed scream. But on her phone, Jonghyun texts that he is a few minutes away. She smiles. And suddenly she is in a rush. She puts away some things in the room, cleaning up quickly, and she pulls off her clothes, just throws it all away to take a quick shower on her body before she simply gets dressing in a matching pair of gray drawstring-hem oversized pullover and drawstring-waist shorts. She isn’t wearing a bra underneath, so the shoulder she is showing might give Jonghyun that hint when he comes, with no bra-strap visible. She is excited again.

With a text saying he is on his way up, Hannah rushes down the stairs, knowing her members won’t mind it because they haven’t said a word about it – they tend to show their displease if they have it, otherwise they are okay with whatever it is. With no one to bust her, this will be okay. The hair she had put up in a bun when taking a quick shower is pulled out and Hannah ruffles it when heading inside the hall, checking her mirror reflection. She is wearing cosy socks, suddenly looking like she has been home for some time, though her make-up isn’t completely washed away. She doesn’t look dreadful or ugly, just like a girl who has been at home.

There is movement inside the apartment, where the hall takes a turn and in to the apartment. Hannah looks, ready to have a nosy Carolina wonder what movie they will see (she would be the only one not knowing they have no plans to watch a movie), but the problem is that it is not Carolina standing there.

“You look excited to go to sleep,” Manager Lee mentions with a smile, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest. “Or are you going against your punishment?”

“What are you doing here?!” Hannah asks in a voice a little too loud, just because she didn’t expect him to still be here. She panics because Jonghyun is on his way up.

“You think I’m stupid?” Manager Lee chuckles. “I have been with you for almost two years now; a little respect would be nice.”

“You can’t keep me from seeing him,” Hannah glares at her manager.

“Would it be better if I called Manager Lim and told him about this? He can come over and kick your lover right out the door.”

“MARIA!” Hannah screams whiningly, not liking the look on her manager’s face. “MARIA!

“What, what, what?” Maria comes walking inside the hall, looking at Hannah. “What?”

“He is threatening to call Appa if I meet Jonghyun. And I really want to meet him because he is right outside and I have waited a long time to meet him,” Hannah is whining. She doesn’t like the fact that her managers want to play fathers versus daughters with her, but she plays the game like a child, knowing the mother will correct everything.

Maria looks at Manager Lee next to her. She looks tired. “Oppa, it’s a few days left of the year. Let her have some romance. It’s not like anyone else of us has it. Don’t let your miserable love life go out on her,” Maria quietly tells him.

The doorbell rings. No one moves an inch. Manager Lee looks at Hannah, his head held up high. He is considering it. “What do I get out of it?”

“Anything- what do you want?” Hannah pleads.

He smirks. “I want sweets. Every day in January month, each day I work with you, I want your home-made sweets. Every day”

“Are you kidding?” Hannah gapes.

“Sweets or no boyfriend,” he shrugs his shoulder, “And cinnamon coffee.”

It rings a second time on the doorbell. Hannah panics. “I don’t even know what kind of coffee that is!”

He shrugs his shoulders again, smiling at her. Hannah glares at him, Maria just walks away as she has done her job, and when it starts knocking on the door, Hannah whines to agree to it. Manager Lee hold out his hand, and Hannah shakes it while still glaring at him, then shoves him away to open the door.

“That took time,” Jonghyun smiles at Hannah, stepping inside.

“Sorry.” She glances behind her, stepping further in. Manager Lee is heard exchanging words with the others in the living-room. She looks back at Jonghyun, seeing how he takes his shoes off. “Upstairs right away?”

Her voice sounds desperate, and Jonghyun just smiles. He takes his jacket off slowly, and then holds out his hand for her. Hannah takes it and starts jogging out of the hall.

“It starts on January 1st!” Manager Lee is heard saying behind them when they head up the stairs. “Hannah, don’t forget!”

“What starts?” Jonghyun wonders as he takes the final step.

“I’ll tell you later, nothing important,” Hannah answers, smiling when reaching her bedroom’s door and she turns around, backing inside the room. Jonghyun’s smile widens. Stepping inside the room, he shuts the door behind him, glancing over his shoulder to lock it as he doesn’t want the manager to come peek inside (not that he has ever done that, but something about that voice made him suspicious). When Jonghyun looks back at Hannah, he laughs as she steps up to him, pulling his t-shirt off.

“Always so eager,” he whispers, letting her throw his t-shirt on the floor while he cups her face in his hand, kisses her on the lips.

Hannah puts her hands on his stomach, his bare stomach, her fingers spreads around and up his chest. He is wearing sweatpants, just as gray as her clothes. She lets him lead, their tongues playing while his hands drops down from her face, touches her shoulders where one hand gets in contact with her skin. Electrify feelings shoots through them both. His hands goes down her arms, the sleeve on one side so long he wonders if he has missed her arm completely, but his hand goes to her back, pressing her against him and the other hand goes around her waist, already under her clothes. His hand glides down, grasping her cheek with his hand and makes her gasp when it feels like he tries to lift her up. Hannah puts her arms around him by that move, and Jonghyun puts both hands below her , lifting her up to take two steps over to the bed, letting her sit on it while kissing each other. Hannah smiles up at him when she leans away; Jonghyun his lips when seeing her lean down a little, starting to kiss his stomach and chest, hearing how deeply he breathes by that. He is standing up, his legs touching the edge of the bed, and right in front of her is his stomach. She kisses his firm abs softly, one hand touches his skin and one hand goes around his waist so when she stands up on her knees to reach further up, she makes sure he doesn’t lean away or too close. Her left hand glides down his stomach until it touches some fabric, and gliding a finger inside the underwear-line, she glances up and begins to lean back, pulling him with her. Jonghyun leans over her, sitting on his knees in the bed while she let her legs straighten out, and he starts kissing her on the lips again, making sure she moans for him.

He moves further up before putting an arm around under hers to pull her up too, to lie more comfortably along the bed. Hannah smiles at him, seeing him smiling back at her, and he keeps his eyes on hers, their faces close and his body almost leaning over hers. He watches her face when his hand goes up under the pullover she wears, watches her face slightly change as his hand caresses up her hip, up her ribs, and touches her bare under the fabric. They both swallow at the same time, and slowly he leans down, kisses the bare shoulder she has been showing him since he walked inside the door. He took notice of it, indeed. Feather light kisses are placed on her skin, first going in to her neck, nibbling on her skin before he travels down with his kisses, slowly shifting his body to have his knees on both sides of her body, his other hand also going up under her pullover, and when the fabric gets in the way for his kisses to touch her skin directly, he gives her some kisses between her s, Hannah giggling as if he is not bothered by her pullover, but he then sits up, pulls it over her head as his hands had prepared it, and slowly he leans down to kiss her on the lips again, stretching his body over hers, skin over skin.

 

A finger trails up her bare hip, a pair of eyes filled with admiration and love. He lets his head fall to rest on his other arm that isn’t busy trailing the line of her body, and when his head falls he looks up to meet her eyes, smiling at her. She is shyly blinking back, lying on her side with the quilt between them covering certain parts of her body, but her back and side is bare for his eyes to see.

“What was it she said?” Jonghyun wonders in a low voice, curiosity and fascination has been with him when talking about what happened earlier today between Hannah and Ji Hyun. He slowly leans forward; the space between them disappears when he kisses her on her shoulder and arm. Hannah almost rolls over with a giggle, just almost.

“You really want to know?” she asks him instead. The smile in her face grows when his finger trails down the side over her stomach, and he looks at her, his face right in front of hers.

“I’m dying to know,” he whispers, feeling her hold in her stomach a little by his touch. “I want to know what trigged you that way.”

Hannah takes her time, wetting her lips and putting both an arm and a leg over his body to let him fall down on his back. She kisses him on his chest, resting her nose and forehead while slowly kissing him, her own hand having a play of its own. Jonghyun tries to control his breathing, thinking that her kisses affect him differently than the shy reaction Hannah had gotten when he kissed her. He is ready when she lies back down on his side, closely to him and brings his face to hers for deeper kiss and her fingers goes through his hair, taking the hair to the back of his head until locks by locks falls back to a messy place. Exactly the way he loves it.

“Our first fight,” Hannah whispers against his lips, being kissed at the corner of . He seems to think he can kiss her while she talks. She smiles, her fingers trails their way around his neck, up and down his shoulders, “Ji Hyun talked about … what kind of guy you are.”

Jonghyun holds himself up from her, whole face looking confused with Hannah’s words, and she smiles at him.

“She told me you were only with me for one thing,” she tells him, surprising herself with the confidence she has; lying underneath him, both completely , and saying he only wants her for . Jonghyun looks troubled by what she tells him though. Hannah continues, “The second time-”

“You didn’t want to kiss me because of that?” Jonghyun interrupts her. Their eyes meet. “In the room. You said ‘no’… because, she told you that? Why were you so troubled by her words, it’s not like antis haven’t said the same thing?”

Hannah’s confidence just jumped out the window. She blinks at him, her face probably tells him too much like always. “I… I guess… it was different, to hear someone say it in my face.” Hannah whispers and tries to swallow. is too dry all of a sudden. She looks at him, trying to figure out what his troubled expression means.

“You think I would do that?” Jonghyun breathes, almost lifting himself away from her depending on how she will react. Hannah almost pouts at the question, and she shakes her head just a little. The way she calmly blink when shaking her head makes Jonghyun stay on top of her.

“Maybe that’s why I got so confused,” Hannah admits, realising it as she says it. How would she doubt him? After all this time, after everything they have gone through? “I wasn’t prepared to have anyone who knows us say such a thing – not even Ji Hyun.”

“So you punched her in the stomach?” Jonghyun suddenly smiles, leaning closer to kiss her on the cheek. “You punched her for me?”

She giggles at how he puts the puzzle together, hugging her arms around him to kiss him on the lips. Jonghyun growls, doing it clearly to show how happy he is to know his girlfriend got that upset for something like that – she got upset for him, not at him. She acted like the man in the relationship; Jonghyun thinks if it was him and another male artist who had gone through the same, he probably might have punched someone too if they crossed the line.

 

In the morning, Jonghyun wakes up with a pillow thrown at him.

“You have to leave. Now,” Hannah hisses, already in her underwear.

Jonghyun blinks, rolls around in the bed and rubs his eyes. “Why?” he mumbles, yawning tiredly. His pants are thrown at him as Hannah is picking up his clothes from the floor.

“If my manager catches you here, I’m in big trouble.” Hannah is panicking, not even sure what she is doing.

“Why?” Jonghyun mumbles, yawning again. “I met him yesterday, he knows I’m here.”

“I’m talking about Appa!” Hannah says in a little too loud voice, grabbing the quilt to take it off him. “Get dressed. Hurry! You’re not supposed to be here. Appa said it was my punishment for what I did.”

“Really?” Jonghyun sits up, suddenly fascinated. “He told you not to meet me because you punched Ji Hyun to protect me?”

He is going a little overboard on the protection thing, but it still makes Hannah smile. She walks over to him and wraps her arms around him when their lips meet, and Jonghyun leans back in the bed with his arms around her waist, not letting her break the kiss. His hands are on her , pressing her against him. Hannah giggles in the kiss, happy she didn’t listen to her manager and tell him he couldn’t come. They have talked half the night. They have been comfortable among the sheets, looking at each other, and Jonghyun have repeatedly brought up what he saw Hannah do, as it is his first time seeing her actually hit someone. He has looked happy thinking about that. It’s a weird reaction, but it makes Hannah keep smiling.

She breaks the kiss remembering the angry face of Manager Lim yesterday, holding herself up over Jonghyun.

“You should go,” she tells him and gives him a peck on the lips before she gets up, grabbing the pullover she had put on last night. Jonghyun starts to get dressed too, first his underwear and then pants.

It knocks on the door; Hannah standing closest to it lightly asks what it is while glancing around after her shorts. She can’t find them.

“I think we need to talk,” a dark voice says from the other side of the door. All movements’ stops in the bedroom, Hannah stares at Jonghyun with a terrified face-expression and he gapes at her in shock. “Hannah?”

“Just a moment,” Hannah pipes to the door and panicky waves for Jonghyun to hide somewhere. He grabs his t-shirt and socks and hurries to hide behind the door, receiving a glare from Hannah as if he couldn’t find a better place and he just looks at her to open the door. Hannah is still in underwear and pullover, and she holds the pullover down a little when unlocking the door and opening it just a little, her body almost shakes in fear when seeing Manager Lim stand there. “Hi- Good morning, Appa.” Her face overdoes a smile. “Aren’t you a little early…?”

“We are leaving earlier,” he roughly tells her in a low voice, glancing above her head inside the room but can only see the bed. “The other ladies are coming too. Ten minutes.”

Hannah nods, mouthing nervously ‘ten minutes’. She expects her manager to go wake someone else up, but he stays there. “Um… I have to get dressed then,” Hannah mumbles, trying to make him leave. Manager Lim just looks more upset at her.

“I want you downstairs in three minutes,” Manager Lim tells her, and then raises his voice just a little; “you too, Jonghyun.”

That’s it. Hannah gives out a sound, shutting the door when Manager Lim walks away, and she pouts with a worried face-expression to see Jonghyun is still standing with his t-shirt in hands, but he did put on his socks. He too looks worried.

“I’m dead,” he whispers.

He hadn’t seen the manager’s face, but that voice did not sound good. If he was angry yesterday when finding out Hannah had punched another female idol, he is now furious that she went against him even more. Hannah gives out a whine and puts her hands on her head, her fingers tangled in her messy hair. Jonghyun smiles at her though, and he takes a step closer to her to put an arm around her waist to pull her even closer.

“I’ll protect you,” Jonghyun jokes, kisses her before she can mutter something back. She would want to say he can’t protect her if he is dead, but that line disappears as soon as it reached because of his lips on hers.

Two minutes later, Hannah is sitting in the sofa in the living-room downstairs, wearing the gray pullover and skinny jeans. She is stiff, sitting with hands firmly in her lap and she is looking down at the floor where Ryo has happily lied down, his tail waves whenever Jonghyun awkwardly shifts position, sitting next to Hannah in the sofa in his own clothes, his hair messier than hers and with Manager Lim walking back and forth in front of them, saying this and adding that. It’s all about rules, first doing the unforgivable to punch a female idol, and then to defy the punishment set up. Jonghyun is scolded too, but most of it is directed at Hannah since Jonghyun didn’t know about the punishment she had been given. Most of the manager’s anger is still from yesterday, he is so angry even after sleeping because he is disappointed in Hannah for doing such a thing. She should be glad the police aren’t dragged in to this.

In the middle of the scolding, Emelia and Julia come downstairs. They had been fighting yesterday during the music festival, but it vanished from this universe when 5 Pieces won the award of the year. And now they are both smiling when seeing Hannah and Jonghyun being lectured, looking like they were caught having by the father, and Julia is heard when they get inside the kitchen that she owes Emelia money now. Hannah glances up at her manager, who looks even more annoyed to hear the ladies have put a bet on this; if Manager Lim would find out or not.

“I will deal with you two later!” he shouts after them.

“Appa-”

“Don’t,” he points a finger at Hannah, his face red from bringing all of this up to the surface. “I’m deeply disappointed in you, Hannah. Out of the ladies, I did not expect this from you.” She lowers her head even further down, biting her lip. “You’re not a child anymore, stop behaving like one. I can not understand how reckless you were yesterday, and then treat my words like nothing by not accepting your punishment. That’s ungrateful.”

She knew she did wrong by bringing Jonghyun here even if she was told not to, but she seriously did not expect Manager Lim to come earlier. He is furious because no one told him Jonghyun was there, and then he had been called by the agency that 5 Pieces will need a meeting now in the morning so he had come to get them earlier and the first thing he sees when entering the apartment is Jonghyun’s shoes and jacket in the hall. Hannah is sad because he keeps repeating how disappointed he is in her, and anyone can say those words without have a meaning for Hannah, but when her manager says it, she do regret what she did. She doesn’t really regret punching Ji Hyun because she does deserve it, but she does regret defying her manager. Jonghyun sits there quietly, not saying a single thing and not looking up either, knowing the manager is scary and like a father to 5 Pieces. He notices more than Hannah how Manager Lim reacts on this like a father, because his own manager doesn’t do that. It’s a family thing, and Jonghyun is the boyfriend who was sneaked inside without the father’s knowledge.

Manager Lim then lets Jonghyun leave, and he doesn’t talk about this anymore for the moment to get the ladies ready to leave. He will continue at the agency. Hannah does not look forward to that. Her head stays low, she doesn’t say a single thing to anyone, just waiting for them to arrive at the agency.

The meeting is just among them. A room with the five members of 5 Pieces, Manager Lim and Manager Lee, everyone sitting down around the same table and with Hannah almost sinking below the table as she knows she is the reason they are there. Punching someone is horrible; it’s kind of something basic for humanity. Last time Hannah punched someone was a year ago. Honggi had admitted he had been wrong after that punch, but it didn’t receive much attention because they both were drunk and not a lot of people knew about it. Hannah learned that time that her fist gives a stronger message than her words. Thinking of last year, she remembers how Jonghyun had kissed her knuckles when the day after they had met at the agency. The look on his face when he had told her he had dreamt to see her punch someone just because it looks good on TV when she had done it; now he had actually seen it, though it was in the stomach with no strength at all.

Manager Lim takes a seat after getting coffee to him self and Julia.

“What happened yesterday?” he sighs, his eyes sweeps through those sitting quietly around the table. “Hannah?”

She glances up briefly at her manager, but then looks down under the table again and stays quiet. No one says anything. Even Carolina knows it is not the time to try loosening up the mood. Manager Lim sighs again, only he is moving for everyone to hear. He asks her again what happened with Ji Hyun, Hannah pouts, keeping her eyes down.

“She was telling me things,” Hannah mumbles. “She denied it when Jonghyun went with me to solve it with her, but when he leaned away to talk to someone else … she said some bad things.”

“And you punched her in the stomach,” Manager Lim finishes. He sounds like he can not believe it. Hannah looks further down. “I have talked to 4 Minute’s manager this morning, and she didn’t get any bruise from it though it does hurt.”

“I didn’t do it hard,” Hannah tells him.

“But you did it still,” his voice is harsher, eyes piercing at her. “What could she possibly have said for you to do such a thing? Do you have any idea how ruined 5 Pieces would be if media found out about this? Tell me. What did she say that let you loose your temper that way?”

Hannah pouts so much that she is about to cry. She takes a deep breath slowly, glancing across the room and is happy she sat furthest away from their manager; she is looking away from everyone. “Ji Hyun said that Jonghyun only stayed with me because of ,” Hannah whispers, her cheek burning out of embarrassment. She has probably never talked to her manager about that, it has been something he has not been interested in other than knowing she is being safe, which is why she is looking another direction when saying it.

Manager Lim is quiet at first, only raising his hand when Maria is about to say something. He remembers when he came to the apartment earlier; Hannah looked to be getting dressed. He knows what they do, it’s no secret, but he too thinks of that they have never really talked about it. But he knows Jonghyun, which is why he has never had to talk about it, and that is also why he isn’t sure how to respond to the answer he now got.

“I almost hit her in the face when she said there are rumours saying I am playing around with male idols,” Hannah adds in an even lower voice, and to this, most of them around the table looks at her. Hannah lowers her head anew when tears are itching by her eyes. “But Oppa came in between,” she adds and gives a nod towards Manager Lee sitting across the table, two chairs on the side. Manager Lee reacts to being mentioned, and he clears his throat to prepare himself for being questioned – he too is feeling guilty and small in the presence of Manager Lim. Only that Manager Lim doesn’t look away from Hannah, several meters between them since three other ladies are sitting in between.

“If you walked away the first time, why did you go back?” he asks her, clearly upset over what he now hears for the first time. She didn’t tell him this yesterday, and she just quietly went over to apologize to Ji Hyun to solve it. He didn’t know what Ji Hyun had said even if Maria and Emelia had backed Hannah up, saying she would never punch anyone if she didn’t have a good reason for it.

Hannah sighs, her shoulders sink as she had hoped she didn’t have to keep talking about it now when she has gotten back the tears. “I went back because I could not be around Jonghyun without feeling sick. And he told me about the rumours, so I went to confront Ji Hyun because she had been the one saying it directly to me so I wanted to know if she was the one spreading the rumours,” Hannah says pretty quickly to get over with it, anger rising inside her, then continues with her tongue moving faster in for more words to come out; “Jonghyun stood next to me, so Ji Hyun pretended she hadn’t said anything. She even asked me what it was she had said, just because she knew I would never say it in front of him. Eventually I lost it. Because she was too two-faced and I was angry at her and I didn’t think I was actually going to punch her but I thought in my head that I could just hit her lightly in the stomach, not leave a mark… I know how to fight, Appa, for dramas at least. I didn’t do it hard at all. But she got quiet after that…”

“It’s the second time you punch someone,” he marks out for her. “You can’t go around punching people, Hannah.”

“But she had a good reason both times,” Emelia mention. Manager Lim gives her a glare. “Did we just hear the same thing? You heard what Ji Hyun told Hannah? And on top of that, Ji Hyun is jealous as hell on Hannah because she is the idol with the most variety of solo activities in the whole industry. And she has a boyfriend-”

“I don’t care about that,” he shakes his head. “She punched a female idol in the stomach. But another reason is that I clearly told you to not bring Jonghyun over last night.”

“He was already on his way,” Hannah whines.

“I don’t care where he was, I told you directly that it was a part of the punishment. And that the rest of the members ignored it completely is outrageous. How come you all are fighting each other until an outsider joins in?” Manager Lim turns his attention to all of the girls, and he doesn’t want to hear them say he isn’t an outsider. “Yesterday too, you all created a ruckus in the corridor with Ji Hyun. All of your juniors are too afraid to approach you after that.”

“But that wasn’t our fault,” Emelia brings up.

“It does not change the fact that the three of you-” he points a finger from Hannah to Emelia to Maria, “threatened an idol in the presence of a lot of other idols.”

“They all know we tend to threaten at times. And I think I solved it pretty well,” Maria nods at her own words. Emelia nods next to her.

“So you don’t think you did anything wrong yesterday? You all are going too far. You fight in public, you threaten to beat people up, you actually do beat people up… If a tiny bit of what happened yesterday is leaked to the press, you all might be sent back to Sweden for good. No one wants to deal with fighters. And yes, I know your image is like that,” he adds when seeing all of the ladies starting to defend them selves; “But usually your fighting image is not serious. No one really think Hannah would punch someone other than in acting, and you all went overboard yesterday. Don’t you agree on that?”

“Maybe a little…” Hannah is the one answering, but the others are lowering their heads again as they know they might have gone too far.

“But we were just protecting Hannah. You know that. What did you expect us to do?” Maria asks their manager. “It was Ji Hyun who called her a liar in that corridor; she was the one bringing it up again. Hannah was angry; we just stood up for her. That’s what we do, isn’t it?”

“You would never have gotten in that situation if Hannah hadn’t done something in the beginning. The agency has come to a conclusion about that. Hannah is not allowed to practice boxing at the gym anymore.”

“WHAT?!” Hannah bursts out, almost standing up. “You can’t do that!”

“We can. And we have.”

“What else am I supposed to do then?!” her voice is so light all of a sudden, terrified. Whenever she is too stressed or has too many emotions, she wants to go to the gym and hit something, let it all out.

“You are not allowed to practice boxing anymore,” Manager Lim just repeats. “That’s your punishment. If you didn’t know how to throw a good punch, maybe you wouldn’t have done it in the beginning. You are used to let out your anger that way and that is the wrong way. We can’t have a lady going around punching people for a hobby.”

Hannah just gapes at him, even Julia is gaping at the manager because she used to share room with Hannah when she was first learning boxing and there was definitely a change in Hannah thanks to that. “That’s wrong,” Hannah says, “you can’t. It’s like telling me to stop seeing Jonghyun in a punishment. You can’t cut off a part of me like that.”

“Hannah, stop,” Manager Lim sighs. “You went too far, and the fact that you don’t feel sorry for hurting another person means it went way too far.”

She crosses her arms over her chest and pouts. She is not letting this just slide past. Manager Lim has more things to talk to them about, and he glances at Emelia and Julia.

“And what were you two up to yesterday?”

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 27th: 5 Pieces Turns Korea Up-Side-Down By Winning ‘Song of the Year’ At KBS Music Festival!

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

X. devonalias